Why after “Duphaston” monthly scanty? We will understand this article.
It is a drug based on progesterone analogue. It is strictly forbidden to take this tool without first consulting a gynecologist. This medicine is prescribed by a doctor for diseases that are associated with a shortage of progesterone in the blood. Violations in the menstrual cycle after taking the medication (this can be observed during pregnancy, in the context of the effects of the first course of pill use or on the background of self-treatment) suggest the need to visit the doctor again.
Consider the main causes of scanty menstrual periods after Duphaston.
Why do you need this drug?
Periodically, the female body undergoes various changes that are associated with the preparation for the bearing of offspring and the possible conception. This is a kind of cyclical process, which is called the menstruation cycle and which takes on average from 28 to 35 days. The cycle of a woman ends with menstruation, which, provided there are no health problems, proceeds without serious consequences and without psychological discomfort. But there is a certain group of women in whom the preparation for conception takes place with violations that can be eliminated solely by means of medicines, for example, using the method of “Duphaston”. Scanty periods after it are not uncommon.
Progesterone is synthesized in women in the ovaries. With its deficiency, women suffer from endometriosis and, moreover, infertility, because they cannot conceive a child. In cases, if a woman manages to become pregnant, frequent miscarriages can occur. Progesterone produces the following effect on a woman’s body:
- It thickens the inner layer of the uterus, so that the fetal egg becomes much easier to cling to it, in order to have a pregnancy.
- It relaxes the musculature of the pregnant uterus and reduces its spasms.
- Preparation of the mammary glands for milk production.
- This hormone is largely responsible for the maternal instinct. The fact is that with the increase in its number of women feel the willingness and desire for the birth and upbringing of the child.
In addition, the mood of a woman depends on the total amount of progesterone in the blood. With a decrease in its level, the ladies become nervous, they have various signs of depression. In addition, progesterone is responsible for the formation of figures for the female type.
Patients often ask: "Scanty periods after" Duphaston "- is this normal?" About this below.
The main indications for women to the appointment of the drug
The drug is prescribed to women with diseases that develop on the background of a reduced amount of such a hormone as progesterone in the body:
- Inability to conceive a child along with frequent miscarriages.
- The presence of violations of the cycle in the form of scanty or, conversely, abundant and painful periods.
- Complete absence of monthly cyclic bleedings.
- The appearance of uterine bleeding between menstruation.
- The appearance of pain in the abdomen, and in addition, in the back along with drastic mood changes before menstruation.
- The presence of patient endometriosis.
Endometriosis is a pathology, against the background of which endometrial cells (the inner uterine layer) begin to grow in places where they simply should not be.
The drug "Duphaston" produced in the form of tablets, which are taken in the second half of the cycle. The dosage of this drug along with the frequency of its reception is determined by the doctor strictly individually.
How are poor monthly after “Duphaston”?
They start talking about scanty monthly periods if the amount of blood secreted during periods of menstruation is significantly reduced. At this time, up to 50 milliliters of blood can be released. At the same time on the gasket will be visible only its traces. With a similar clinical picture, doctors talk about the presence of spotting. The blood can be fresh and scarlet, but sometimes it has a brown color.
Continue after “Duphaston” meager monthly 1 day - this is a frequent indicator.
This kind of bleeding can occur immediately before normal menstruation, sometimes they act as regulations. Menstruation may be accompanied by a change in the general state of health of the woman: while at the same time, the mood of the women is much worse, irritability arises along with bloating or pains of a pulling nature, which are felt below.
Why scarce menstruation occurs after “Duphaston” is interesting to many women of the fair sex.
The impact of the drug "Duphaston" is directed primarily to increase the thickness of the uterus, that is, the endometrium. Thus, immediately after taking this medication, menstruation should become abundant. The occurrence of scant menstrual bleeding can be observed at an early stage of therapy (for example, in the framework of receiving the first course of the considered drug). Over time, the cycle can stabilize, and the regulation will become more abundant.
The main reasons for the poor monthly after “Duphaston” are the following factors:
- Non-compliance with the scheme of drug use "Duphaston", when women miss taking pills, independently reducing the dosage.
- Drug treatment without consulting a gynecologist. Thus, it is possible to significantly disrupt the ratio of hormones in the body. After that, the cycle can return to normal only after a few months.
Why are there still scant periods after “Duphaston”?
- Due to the failure of the ovaries with the appearance of estrogen deficiency in the female body.
- In the presence of late ovulation, against the background of which the egg from the ovary does not come out on the fourteenth day, but somewhat later.
- With a normal pregnancy or flowing outside the uterus.
- Because of diseases, in which there is a mechanical obstacle that interferes with the release of contents from the uterus.
The reasons for the poor menstrual periods after duphaston brown may hide in the failure of the function of the endocrine system, for example, the pituitary gland.
Amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, and in addition, premenstrual syndrome, along with irregular menstrual, intermenstrual uterine bleeding, prolonged and early regulam, are among the most common failures of the menstrual cycle on the background of the wrong reception of Duphaston.
Methods for diagnosing problems
Immediately prior to the appointment of studies, the doctor necessarily interviews the patient. Next, doctors usually prescribe the following examinations:
- A study on the content of sex hormones in biological material.
- Conducting research vaginal contents under the microscope.
- Bacteriological seeding of vaginal secretions on a nutrient medium for the detection of pathological microorganisms.
- Ultrasound examination of the female genital organs.
To determine the moment of ovulation, the basal temperature is measured in the rectum. It is best to use a mercury thermometer for this purpose, since it is much more accurate than an electronic one. Measurements are carried out every morning before the woman gets out of bed. Temperatures are recorded in the graph and thus it is possible to monitor the dynamics. The appearance of a sharp rise in temperature indicates that ovulation has occurred in the female body.
Why scanty periods after Duphaston? The reasons must be established by a doctor.
The effect of the drug on the menstrual cycle
Most of the problems that arise with a woman's health are due to the presence of an imbalance of hormones. To cope with this pathology will succeed with the help of a tool called "Duphaston". Over the entire period of use, this medical tool has managed to establish itself with a very good side, therefore, it is prescribed to many patients by specialists.
But in some situations it happens, unfortunately, that it is not possible to achieve the desired results. Thus, in some women, even against the background of the administration of the “Duphaston” product, the complete absence of menstruation is sometimes observed. It should be noted that this medicine, with all its effectiveness, is not at all a panacea, and against its background there may also be failures or there may be no result of treatment.
The influence of "Duphaston" on the female body
One of the main manifestations of this medicine is its effect on the nature of bleeding during menstruation. In a number of situations, very scanty periods occur after “Duphaston”. Until the moment of absolute restoration of the balance of hormones, menstruation can occur in the form of so-called daub.
Taking this drug, you must strictly follow the doctor's recommendations. It is worth noting that in no case should not engage in treatment only at its discretion. In the event that the therapy was carried out correctly, then very soon the menstruation will certainly be restored and will have the same profusion.
While taking this drug, menstruation can take place in the form of scanty and heavy discharge. The total duration of periods is also able to vary, and then they will be shorter. In some cases, during the period of taking the drug, a couple of days before the start of the proposed menstrual period, women may experience daub.
Only a doctor can prescribe medications, especially hormones. Lack of medical recommendations when taking hormonal drugs often leads to extremely undesirable consequences. After the appointment of the drug "Duphaston", the doctor must necessarily monitor the general condition of the patient. Thus, self-treatment of diseases of the female reproductive system often causes negative consequences, which in the future can be very difficult to correct.
In their reviews, women write that medical remedy “Duphaston” is often prescribed by doctors for the treatment of various disorders in the menstrual cycle.
Women who did not follow the regimen of taking this drug or missed taking the pills, reducing the dosage on their own, often comment in the comments that this medicine affected the occurrence of scanty menstrual periods after discontinuation of Duphaston.
Those who used the medication without consulting a gynecologist complain of this. Thus, women significantly violate the hormonal ratio in their bodies. And therefore, as doctors say, it is not at all surprising that self-treatment ends with a problem with menstruation, after which the cycle returns to normal only after a few months.
Those women who used this drug according to medical recommendations are satisfied with its effectiveness and report that Duphaston helped them get rid of such problems as cycle disturbance, abdominal pain and endometriosis.
Thus, doctors insist that this medicine should be taken by women only after consulting a gynecologist and only under his strict supervision. In no case can not independently stop using this drug, as well as change its dosage. Do not forget that the appearance of scanty bleeding is a reason to undergo additional diagnosis.
We reviewed the reasons for the scanty monthly after Duphaston and reviews.
Characteristics of the drug
In order to understand how the drug works and when the menses should begin after it has been taken, you need to familiarize yourself with its composition and basic properties. In the role of the active substance Duphaston serves didprogesterone, which is a synthetic substitute for natural progesterone. The drug is produced in tablet form, each tablet contains 10 mg of the active substance. A convenient form for admission and good absorbability in the intestine causes a positive effect from the treatment, also Duphaston is absolutely safe to take during pregnancy.
Progesterone in the body of a woman performs many important functions. It is he who regulates the second phase of the menstrual cycle and after conception prepares the uterus wall for invagination of the ovum. In the case of an irregular menstrual cycle, an insufficient level of progesterone is often found in women and a course of hormone replacement therapy is prescribed.
Monthly after Duphaston become regular, in many patients the intensity of the pain syndrome also decreases. This drug is prescribed for:
- spontaneous abortion,
- pregnancy planning in cases where a woman has had a miscarriage in the past,
As with any drug, Duphaston has side effects. These include individual intolerance to didrogesterone, as well as bleeding "breakthrough." Bleeding "breakthrough" most often occurs in women due to a violation of the ratio of estrogen and progesterone (in patients who have previously taken oral contraceptives). When taking the medication is not observed weight gain and the appearance of excess body hair on the body.
Application for failures in the menstrual cycle
The main characteristic of the normal menstrual cycle are regular periods. The average cycle duration for a woman is 28 days. Menstruation after Duphaston occurs against the background of an increase in progesterone level after ovulation. Hormonal regulation is very important for the normal course of the menstrual cycle, any failure in the development of the main sex hormones leads to a delay of menstruation or their irregular appearance. Usually hormonal imbalance occurs due to:
- chronic, sluggish female genital diseases,
- heavy physical exertion,
- nervous overvoltage,
- wrong taking oral contraceptives,
- harmful habits (smoking, alcohol abuse),
- unbalanced nutrition (insufficient intake of certain vitamins and trace elements leads to impaired synthesis of sex hormones).
Cycle failure is one of the most frequent indications for duphaston in women of reproductive age. Douphaston tablets should be taken strictly according to the scheme prescribed by the doctor. Usually, treatment continues from day 16 to day 25 of the menstrual cycle. The daily dose of the drug is 20 mg, one pill is taken in the morning, and the second is taken in the evening.
It is advisable to drink the medicine at the same time every day. Depending on the specific situation, the Duphaston regimen may be different, and the doctor will also adjust the dosages and duration of treatment. Monthly after Duphaston come on day 3 (subject to proper administration of the drug). First, scant discharge may appear, and after one or two days, menstrual bleeding begins.
It should be remembered that the body of each woman is individual, in some patients menstruation begins after 7-10 days and this is not considered a deviation from the norm. After Duphaston, the periods should go after a certain period of time for each woman. If menstruation has not begun, then you should immediately consult a gynecologist on this matter and, if necessary, be examined.
Remember that Duphaston should be taken only if there are clear medical indications. It is dangerous to use this drug in order to cause the process of menstrual bleeding and transfer it to a more convenient time for you. In such cases, after discontinuation of the drug, menstruation occurs in artificially induced conditions, which in the future may have serious consequences for your health.
To normalize the menstrual cycle, treatment is carried out for 3-6 months. If, after taking the pills, you do not start menstrual bleeding or you notice a worsening of general well-being (nausea, dizziness, vomiting), you should immediately consult a doctor to identify the cause of this condition.
The influence of Duphaston on the monthly
Taking Duphaston in the second phase of the menstrual cycle, hormone deficiency is replenished and the correct menstrual cycle is established. Therefore, menstruation when taking Duphaston should be regular, if the cause is correctly identified and the treatment prescribed. Many women want to find out before treatment: after the start of Duphaston, when will menstruation come? The most common regimen of reception of Duphaston - 1 tablet 2 times a day (20 mg / day) from 14 to 25 day of the cycle. Monthly should begin on day 28, but in practice it happens in different ways. If you have started prematurely when taking Duphaston, then this is probably the first reaction to taking the drug or the result of a wrong treatment strategy. It should be said that after Duphaston there are usually abundant periods. Do not be afraid if there are brown scanty periods after Duphaston, this happens at the beginning of treatment, and then the menstrual cycle should be established.
Бывает, что женщины решают самостоятельно принимать Дюфастон для борьбы с аменореей. Это очень неправильно, ведь бездумное вмешательство в такой тонкий механизм как эндокринная система может повлечь за собой еще большие нарушения и проблемы, справиться с которыми может быть намного труднее. Sometimes, such women ask, “Why do I drink Duphaston, but there are no menstruations?”. In fact, the delay in menstruation with self-admission Duphaston may be the cause of pregnancy or improper self-treatment. Therefore, with a delay of menstruation, first of all you need to conduct a pregnancy test.
Delay of menstruation after the cancellation of Duphaston
The main goal of treatment with Duphaston is the normalization of the menstrual cycle and, as a result, the onset of a long-awaited pregnancy. If, after canceling Duphaston, there is still no menstruation, then this is a cause for concern. It is possible that the cause of the disturbed menstrual cycle is in the lesion of the pituitary or adrenal glands. In this case, the woman needs a complete examination: determination of the level of hormones, ultrasound of the ovaries and adrenal glands. It is advisable to determine the level
progesterone on the 21st and 23rd day of the cycle. A compulsory procedure is to measure the basal temperature in order to monitor the presence of ovulation.
There is a theory that Duphaston can be taken to postpone menstruation. Sometimes it does cause a delay, but in most cases it causes the endocrine system to fail.
Thus, having considered the effect of Duphaston on the menstrual cycle, it can be concluded that only a reasonable appointment with all the patient’s characteristics will give a positive effect from the treatment. Independent uncontrolled intake will lead to hormonal failure.
Beginning of menstruation after duphaston
The drug Duphaston with irregular menstruation and other menstrual disorders is prescribed in the second phase of the cycle - from 11 to 25 days (according to other sources - from 16 days). At this time, the woman's body makes up for the lack of progesterone. At about the 14th day of the cycle, a woman ovulates, which can last 16-32 hours. After her, there is an active growth of the endometrium. If fertilization does not happen, then it is rejected - period begins. When taking Duphaston, this occurs only after discontinuation of the drug:
- Normally, menstrual bleeding begins 2-3 days after taking the last pill.
- Here it is necessary to take into account the individual characteristics of women. Pathology is not considered, even if the monthly came within a week. The critical period is 10 days.
- When more than 7-10 days have passed since the cancellation of Duphaston, this is already a serious deviation, requiring the advice of a doctor.
With minor problems with monthly they can be normalized next month. In case of problems with the reproductive or endocrine systems, the recovery period may take a longer period. Duphaston affects the cycle in different ways:
- While taking the drug, menstruation comes regularly and on time, has a normal appearance, that is, red.
- In most women, the regulatives after taking Duphaston become less abundant. The daily amount of blood released during menstruation is reduced. Scanty discharge after Duphaston is a normal phenomenon. The color of the discharge is usually brown.
- Many patients note that they have decreased pain in the lower abdomen during menstruation.
- Violations of the cycle can occur if the woman has taken the drug incorrectly or has contraindications to Duphaston. The medicine can lead to a lack of menstruation, painful and heavy bleeding.
The main reason for the absence of menstruation after Duphaston is pregnancy. For this reason, in the first days of the delay it is necessary to do a test. If he showed a negative result, then the regulations are absent not because of pregnancy. In this case, the reasons are:
- Hormonal disorders. The drug affects the level of progesterone, so it can cause an imbalance of hormones. If the doctor confirms this reason based on the results of blood tests, she will prescribe another treatment regimen for the woman to call her period.
- Late ovulation. Due to an increase in progesterone, endometrial renewal of the uterus may be delayed. This leads to lengthening of the luteal phase. In this case, menstruation begins at 7-8 days after discontinuation of the drug.
- Disorders of hormone-producing organs: the thyroid gland, adrenal glands, ovaries. If the delay after taking the pills was already more than 7-10 days, then you need to consult a doctor and undergo a comprehensive examination.
- Other deviations. Among these can be distinguished scars on the uterus and poor absorption of the active substance Duphaston by the body.
Sometimes, even during the course of Duphaston intake, a woman observes a bloody discharge. The beginning of the month ahead of time also has its reasons. The main ones are:
- reduced dosage of the drug,
- features of the female reproductive system,
- failure to comply with the prescribed regimen of the drug,
- offset of the second phase of the cycle,
- the body's response to the drug (in the first couple of days there may be brown discharge).
Abundant and prolonged discharge
As part of the drug, dihydrogesterone is a synthetic analogue of progesterone, which is produced in a woman's body in the second phase of the menstrual cycle. As a result, the endometrial layer of the uterus thickens, that is, its envelope becomes larger. This may cause too heavy periods. This phenomenon is considered normal. There are also pathological causes of heavy discharge:
The drug becomes active after oral administration. The main active ingredient is dydrogesterone, its chemical and molecular functions are close to the natural hormone progesterone. But since didrogesterone is not a derivative of the hormone, it does not have such side effects that are inherent in progesterone drugs such as estrogenic, androgenic, anabolic, corticosteroid and thermogenic activity .
Unlike estrogen, it has no effect on blood coagulation processes, does not affect the functioning of the liver and the metabolism of carbohydrates. Didrogesteron affects the process of formation of the endometrium, preventing its growth and carcinogenesis with an overabundance of estrogen.
Treatment with didrogesterone does not give a contraceptive effect, the therapeutic effect occurs without suppressing ovulation and with preservation of reproductive function. The drug is successfully used during pregnancy.
After ingestion, the active ingredients enter the bloodstream through the gastrointestinal tract. The maximum concentration in the blood occurs 2 hours after administration. The drug is destroyed in the liver and excreted in the urine after 72 hours.
Side effects of the drug
There are such side effects:
- On the part of the hematopoietic system: extremely rare - anemia of the hemolytic type.
- Immunity: rarely, allergic reactions, hypersensitivity to the drug.
- From the side of the central nervous system: migraine-type headaches.
- On the part of the exclusion system: rarely - liver failure, may be accompanied by weakness, malaise, signs of jaundice and pain in the abdomen.
- On the part of the reproductive organs - the occurrence of breakthrough bleedings, increased sensitivity of the mammary glands.
- On the part of the skin and mucous membranes: rarely - skin rash, urticaria, extremely rarely - angioedema, systematic edema.
Sensitivity to the components of the drug, including ididrogesteron. It is carefully used for liver diseases of a non-inflammatory nature, hepatosis.
Do not take the drug in the presence of problems with blood clotting.
When therapy Duphaston is not recommended to drink alcohol, as it reduces the effect of the drug.
Consequences of freaking out
Uncontrolled intake of Duphaston without controlling the level of hormones in the blood can cause an unpredictable reaction, the most unpleasant of which can be an effect on the reproductive function of the body, on the liver and the level of hormones in the blood.
The decision on the appointment of this drug, the time of admission and the dose are prescribed by the doctor based on the patient’s medical history, as well as the results of laboratory tests.
The reasons for the lack of menstruation
If menstruation does not come after the above, it may indicate the occurrence of a hormonal failure, problems with the functions of organs that stimulate the production of hormones, or pregnancy. If, after canceling Duphaston, menstruation is more than 5 days late, you should immediately consult a doctor to avoid serious consequences.
Other changes in the cycle after taking Duphaston
With Duphaston therapy, menstruation may come earlier. This can happen for the following reasons:
- individual body response to the drug. With the unauthorized and incorrect appointment, uncontrolled admission may occur as dysfunctional bleeding, and earlier menstruation. In this case, you must stop taking the drug and go to a doctor without fail.
- insufficient dose of the drug. Menstruation will start earlier if the progesterone concentration in the blood remains at an insufficient level. In this case, a dose adjustment can help, but it should be prescribed exclusively by a doctor,
- wrong reception time - Duphaston is taken in the second phase of the cycle, after ovulation. If this period was detected incorrectly, taking the drug can cause premature menstruation.
Another side effect can be abundant and painful periods. The fact is that progesterone is responsible for the formation and thickening of the endometrium. If pregnancy does not occur, the body rejects the layer of the endometrium instead of menstrual blood, in this case too much of the rejected tissue is obtained, so the periods can be abundant and long.
There are also scanty discharge, this indicates a hormonal alteration of the body.
When you need to see a doctor
You should immediately go to the hospital if you have the following side effects while taking Duphaston:
- there was a bleeding of obscure nature,
- with severe abdominal pain,
- in case of jaundice symptoms: general malaise, yellowness of the skin and sclera, signs of intoxication of the body,
- with symptoms of bleeding disorders, with a change in laboratory parameters of blood.
- in case of suspected pregnancy, as well as disorders in the presence of an already existing pregnancy.
Indications for use of the drug
Since Duphaston is a hormonal drug, it is prescribed in cases where problems with the regularity of the menstrual cycle are associated with problems of the endocrine system. The active ingredient of the drug is didrogesterone, a synthetic analogue of progesterone, which is actively synthesized in the female body in the second phase of the cycle.
Duphaston is usually prescribed to women with ovarian dysfunction to normalize the process of ovulation and prepare the endometrium to fix the ovum. For these processes in the body meets the hormone progesterone, which is mainly produced by the corpus luteum. This temporary endocrine gland is formed at the exit site of a ripe egg from the fallopian tube.
Under the action of progesterone, the endometrium is slightly thickened, as a result of which the fertilized egg can easily attach to it. The endometrium prepared in this way prevents the possible termination of pregnancy in the early stages.
Indications for appointment Duphaston are:
- Endometriosis, that is, the pathological growth of the endometrium beyond the uterus - in the ovaries, fallopian tubes and other internal organs. The development of this disease is directly related to hormonal disorders and threatens a woman with infertility.
- Luteal insufficiency, that is, a violation of the function of the corpus luteum, as a result of which the fertilized egg cannot fixate on the endometrium and a miscarriage occurs in the first weeks of pregnancy.
- Pronounced premenstrual syndrome.
- Dysmenorrhea, a violation of the regularity of the menstrual cycle.
- Dysfunctional uterine bleeding.
With proper diagnosis and accurate compliance with the regimen of the drug in most cases, the hormonal balance is fully restored and the menstrual cycle is normalized.
The most common complaint of women while taking Duphaston is the absence of menstruation in due time. Usually, bleeding begins in the period from three days to a week after discontinuation of the drug, and if the menstrual periods have not begun, you should consult a doctor in order to establish the reason for the delay.
Sometimes the absence of bleeding in the expected period due to external factors, such as climate change, long flights, emotional overstrain, excessive physical exertion.
The main reasons for the delay of critical days while receiving Duphaston include the following:
Pregnancy. After taking Duphaston, the hormonal balance can be restored fairly quickly, and at a normal level of progesterone in the luteal phase of the cycle, a successful pregnancy is possible.
Often, tests may show a negative result for a short period of time, so they need to be performed several times, and also to confirm the successful conception to donate blood for hCG.
With a confirmed pregnancy, the woman should continue taking the drug, since it contributes to the normal course of the pregnancy and prevents its interruption in the early stages..
- Uncontrolled use of the drug. Often women, knowing about Duphaston's ability to influence the beginning of critical days, drink it in order to shift the onset of bleeding, for example, on a planned trip to the sea or before some important events. Since the monthly after taking the drug come in 3-4 days, you can quite accurately calculate at what time there will be no bleeding.
- Misdiagnosis. This situation may occur when an incomplete examination of the hormonal status of a woman with complaints of irregular menstrual cycles and infertility. Duphaston is indicated for use only with a low level of progesterone in the second phase of the cycle, if the patient has other problems with the endocrine system, the drug may be ineffective, which will lead to a delay of menstruation.
Hormones in different phases of the menstrual cycle are normal
- Abrupt withdrawal of the drug. This is usually characteristic of women who take the drug without a prescription to normalize the menstrual cycle. Once in the 1-2 cycles the critical days begin on time, they stop drinking Duphaston, believing that all problems are solved. However, the body cannot cope with a sharp change in the hormonal balance, since adaptation requires a gradual decrease in dosage.
According to the recommended therapy regimen, the daily dose should be reduced to zero for several weeks or months, otherwise the menstrual cycle will again be disturbed and the menstruation will be delayed.
- Violations by other organs of the endocrine system. If there are problems with the synthesis of hormones by the thyroid gland, adrenal glands and other endocrine glands, an additional dose of progesterone can cause disruption in their work and disrupt the menstrual cycle.
- Late ovulation. If a sufficiently large amount of progesterone is produced in the body, an additional dose of a synthetic analogue may lead to a delay in the maturation of the egg in the follicle. An increase in progesterone concentration in the blood also increases the duration of the luteal phase and the process of updating the endometrium, which leads to a delay of critical days by more than a week.
The delay in menstruation against the background of Duphaston intake is the reason for the obligatory visit to a doctor, since this may indicate that the treatment is ineffective and requires a change of drug or a more precise diagnosis.
About why after taking the drug Duphaston no monthly, look in this video:
Another type of deviation from the normal course of menstruation after taking Duphaston is the premature arrival of critical days. This phenomenon may be due to the following factors:
- Individual reaction of the reproductive system to the drug. In this case, the early onset of menstruation is not a pathology, but only a slight side effect, of course, provided that the dosage and regimen of the drug are not violated.
- Incorrectly calculated dose of the drug. Early menstruation may be due to too low a concentration of the cumulative amount of progesterone of its own and obtained together with Duphaston. In this case, the doctor may recommend to increase the daily dose of the drug, and in the next cycle, the critical days will begin in due time.
- Violation of the medication regimen recommended by the doctor. Depending on the nature of the hormonal imbalance, Duphaston can be recommended for use in different phases of the menstrual cycle, and depending on this, the estimated start date of the critical days is determined. If the woman does not comply with the prescribed treatment regimen, menstruation may begin earlier than expected.
Болезненные и обильные месячные
Гормональные препараты, в том числе и Дюфастон, влияют не только на срок начала менструации, но и на характер выделений во время нее. One of the side effects of taking the drug is increased bleeding during critical days, which is accompanied by severe pain.
The increase in the intensity of discharge during menstruation with Duphaston intake is due to its effect on the growth of the endometrium. By the end of the menstrual cycle, the uterus must be prepared for the possible fixation of the ovum. With the active influence of progesterone, the endometrium becomes more dense and overgrown, therefore, in the case of the absence of pregnancy, the rejected tissues become larger, which causes increased bleeding.
Usually, when taking progesterone, menstruation is more abundant than at normal times.
This process also increases the duration of bleeding, which is also associated with a large number of rejected endometrial tissue in the uterus.
Such phenomena indicate two factors:
- the body exhibits an individual response to the reception of Duphaston,
- therapeutic effect was not achieved, therefore it is necessary to develop a different treatment regimen and use other drugs.
Another unpleasant consequence of taking Duphaston is severe pain during critical days. But this phenomenon is not always due to changes in hormonal levels, but rather the main disease for which the drug was prescribed.
When to call a doctor after Duphaston
Delayed or early onset of menstruation, as well as long and painful critical days, do not always require discontinuation of the drug, because in the following cycles the body can adapt to its effects, and the menstrual cycle will improve.
Seeking a doctor is necessary in the following cases:
- The delay in the onset of menstruation is more than seven days with a negative pregnancy test and a normal level of hCG in the blood. This condition requires additional research to clarify the diagnosis and develop an adequate treatment regimen.
- Bleeding that lasts for more than a week, which is accompanied by the appearance of blood clots and severe pain in the lower abdomen. In this case, you may need prescription drugs to stop bleeding and increase blood clotting.
- Allergic reaction to the drug, which can manifest redness and itching on the skin, as well as side effects in the form of complaints of deterioration of health, mood changes, headaches and weakness.
- When taking the drug during menopause, there may be scanty discharge of the spotting nature, which is not typical for the usual course of treatment in this age period. In this case, it is necessary to conduct an examination for the presence of other diseases of the reproductive organs or replace Duphaston with a drug of similar effect.
- Bleeding in the middle of the menstrual cycle.
- Confirmed pregnancy. In this state, you can not cancel the reception Duphaston, because it can lead to miscarriage. Whether the patient should continue to drink the drug during the period of childbirth or slowly reduce the dosage should be decided by the attending physician on the basis of an objective assessment of the patient's body condition.
And here more about the use of the drug Duphaston with the delay of menstruation.
Duphaston has a certain number of contraindications. It is not prescribed to women with liver diseases, in the presence of hormone-dependent tumors and a number of other pathologies. Like any other similar drug, it must be taken strictly in accordance with the recommended dosage, so as not to disturb the hormonal balance, and only in accordance with the recommendations of the attending physician. No self-medication is allowed.
About why monthly disappear, look in this video:
Duphaston is prescribed for delaying menstruation only by a doctor. After all, only he can accurately determine the dosage, pick it up in accordance with the problem. Self-admission can disrupt the hormones.
Sometimes long periods become quite trivial and normal (after an abortion, with heredity). If they are more than 7 days, with severe pain and red clots, then this is a reason to go to a doctor. It is extremely undesirable to carry out treatment independently
Sometimes there can be menstruation without ovulation. Doctors call this anovulatory menstrual cycle. If this happened once or twice a year, then you should not panic. But if menstrual bleeding comes without ovulation when planning a pregnancy, then this is a reason to visit a doctor.
There is hyperprolactinemia in women with certain diseases. Often the reasons lie in the hormone failures. Symptoms - milk secretion, swelling of the mammary glands. May be idiopathic, functional, primary and secondary. The main methods of treatment can be selected only by a doctor.
When and to whom the drug is prescribed
A clearer understanding of when to take duphaston will help knowledge of the composition. Its main component is didrogesterone, that is, the synthetic analogue of the progesterone cycle that is actively produced by the woman’s body in the second phase of the cycle. The tool has the same effect as the natural hormone, therefore it is used in the complex treatment of the following pathologies:
- dysfunction of the ovaries,
- severe PMS,
- menstrual dysfunction, posing as frequent monthly or, on the contrary, too prolonged cycle,
- to restore the balance of hormones in preparation for pregnancy, if before there were miscarriages,
- in the treatment of uterine bleeding, which are caused by an imbalance of estrogen and gestagen,
- to support pregnancy, when there is a threat of its premature termination,
- for the correction of the hormonal status of women in menopause, to reduce the intensity of hot flashes and its other negative manifestations,
- infertility caused by progestin failure.
Duphaston will be useful in each of these conditions if they are prodded by progesterone deficiency. In cases where the same problems appear for other reasons, treatment should be different. Therefore, it is not necessary to prescribe the drug yourself, without examination.
Lack of menstruation in time
The delay in menstruation after duphaston is the most frequent problem, and it is this that causes the most concern. After all, the clarity of the arrival of menstruation is one of the most important signs of women's health. And the absence of the beginning of critical days in due time can have many undesirable explanations. It is very important to identify why such a failure occurred, the further treatment tactics depend on it. Professionals in most cases should be engaged in diagnostics.
But sometimes the absence of menstruation is not a pathological manifestation, but just a small hitch. In most cases, after the cancellation of duphaston, the menstrual periods begin the next day, in others they come in 3–4 days or in general after a week. All this is considered as the norm. If during the specified time there is no menstruation, do not worry. Experiences can increase their waiting period.
In the case when there is no menstruation for a longer period after duphaston, the reasons may turn out to be more serious than a simple hitch:
Any of the reasons (except pregnancy) can manifest itself as an adverse reaction and with the correct use of the medicine as prescribed by a specialist. But more often this is observed when it was recommended for no reason, or the woman began to drink pills on her own initiative. Independently easy to make a mistake, not only in the choice of drug, but also in dosage, as well as the time of administration.
Duphaston has contraindications that cannot be ignored. This is liver failure, poor blood clotting, too young age. If you take the pill with these problems, difficulties with menstruation are not excluded, one of which is a long-term delay.
Earlier arrival of menstruation
Difficulties in the implementation of menstrual function due to duphaston may have a different character. In some women, after taking the pills, the menstrual periods come prematurely. The culprits of their shift are:
- Individual reaction of the reproductive system. With proper administration of the drug and without an unauthorized change in dose, the timing of its admission, bleeding may occur. This is nothing more than a side effect that should convince you to go to a doctor right away.
- Insufficient dose of duphaston. If the concentration of progesterone, despite being treated with it, remains low, critical days will definitely begin earlier. Help in adjusting the dose, but this can only be a doctor.
- Wrong time taking the drug. On which day after djufaston come monthly, depends on the scheme used. It is drunk in the second phase of the cycle, but it may have a different length. Inaccuracy and causes early onset of menstruation.
When it's time to see a doctor
Not every incomprehensible manifestation at the end of the reception of "Duphaston" requires the intervention of the attending doctor. Sometimes you just have to calm down, and everything is getting better.
A specialist visit is required if you notice:
- The absence of menstruation for longer than a week, and the pregnancy test does not show an increase in hCG. It is necessary to find out the reason for this combination, you may need additional measures. It’s impossible to rush menstruation.
- Long periods of time, reaching over a week abundantly, with pain and clots. It is possible that this is bleeding that needs to be stopped. Or the treatment is chosen incorrectly, which will require its correction, possibly additional tests.
- General deterioration of health. Skin rashes, headache, depression, sometimes occurring as adverse reactions, force the drug to be replaced by an analogue.
- Spotting in the period of menopause. At this time, they should not be at all, and the appearance may indicate a rejection of the drug by the body or a gynecological problem that has arisen.
- The arrival of menstruation in the midst of taking the drug. You always need to know why this happened.
- The absence of menstruation during the test with two stripes. What to do if there is no menstruation after duphaston because of pregnancy, the gynecologist should decide. The drug is prescribed in this state, but not all. If abruptly stop taking it, pregnancy may be at risk. The doctor will tell you how to gradually lower the dose. Or recommend to drink duphaston and further in a certain pattern.
Many women, knowing that the drug is prescribed for pregnant women, are not afraid to take it on their own. This erroneous assurance of its safety in unauthorized use can be costly. Duphaston will save, if there are reasons for taking it, the dosage is verified, there are no contraindications. But if you drink it on your own initiative, ignore the negative reactions that arise, you should not be surprised at health problems.
Scheme of reception Duphaston to call menstruation
First of all, it is necessary to confirm the violation of the ratio of hormones in the female body, after which the doctor will appoint Duphaston to correct this condition. The composition of the drug includes such an active ingredient as didrogestron - it has a structure similar to the molecular structure of natural progesterone.
Despite many similar products on the pharmaceutical market, Duphaston does not fall into the category of testosterone derivatives. From this it follows that if you drink the tablet form for a certain time, then there will be no negative reactions associated with taking male hormones: excessive production of sebum, increased hair growth and changes in the structure of the hair follicle when it becomes more rough and tough.
The main advantages of this medication include the almost complete absence of side effects - despite their wide list, they occur very rarely. The drug is not addictive and well tolerated by the female body, has a minimum number of contraindications.
Monthly while taking Duphaston will begin only if the reason for their absence was the lack of their own progesterone in the body.
Many representatives of the fair sex are concerned with the question of the duration with which it is necessary to use Duphaston in order for the menses to begin. But it is not recommended to take it on your own - only strictly according to the doctor's prescription, since the drug belongs to the group of hormonal drugs. And only the attending gynecologist will answer the question about the duration of the course.
There are several medication regimens that are used in the absence of menstrual bleeding:
- 1 tablet twice a day from the 11th to the 25th day of the menstrual cycle,
- 1 tablet twice a day from the 14th to the 25th day of the menstrual cycle.
The duration of administration and dosage of the drug is determined only by the attending physician, since each woman has her own progesterone level and individual duration of menstruation, as well as a cycle.
The arrival of menstruation after coursework duphaston
One more important moment for a woman who takes Duphaston is to understand on which day the monthly periods begin and how long they go. If a lady has a regular cycle, then on day 28 amenorrhea should disappear and menstruation should come, that is, from the 2nd to the 4th day after stopping the medication. But since each organism is arranged differently, then the number of days of waiting for all women is different.
For some, menstruation begins earlier than the expected time, but this is a variant of the norm, namely, the body’s primary response to the use of a hormonal drug. But if this situation is repeated, then perhaps the doctor chose the wrong treatment regimen or dosage of the drug.
With menstruation, which were caused by Duphaston, it is possible to develop heavy bleeding - you should not be afraid of it, since this is a normal reaction of the body. A small amount of brown discharge is also considered the norm, characteristic of the initial stages of treatment.
There is a separate category of women who are engaged in self-treatment, and then they are surprised: “I drink Duphaston, and my menstruations never went!”. All drugs that contain hormonal component in their composition are not intended for independent use, since such thoughtless intervention can lead to serious and irreversible consequences.
If the monthly during the reception Duphaston did not come, it gives a reason to think a woman about a possible pregnancy, and accordingly, it is necessary to make a test to determine it.
No monthly after drinking Duphaston
Some representatives of the fair sex do not have menstrual periods after Duphaston, which makes one wonder about the intended pregnancy. It is necessary to confirm or deny this fact in order to determine further treatment tactics. The doctor determines whether to continue to take pills to cause menstruation or to cancel the drug.
If Duphaston was canceled and there were no menstruations, then this is a reason to think about more serious changes in the female body than the lack of progesterone. Usually the situation when menstruation did not come after taking Duphaston arises due to disturbances in the work of the adrenal glands or the pituitary gland. In this case, a more thorough examination is necessary.
At the doctor’s appointment, the woman gives a detailed account of all her symptoms and complaints, describes how many days she has no uterine bleeding, and whether she has received Duphaston during menstruation. After that, the doctor gives her a direction for an ultrasound examination of the adrenal glands and ovaries, as well as determining the amount of hormones in the body, and only then it will be possible to establish why she did not start her period.
The main hormone, the amount of which is to determine, is progesterone. The study of its volume in the body should be carried out from 21 to 23 days of the menstrual cycle. In addition, in the absence of menstruation after taking the drug is to determine the level of basal temperature, which will establish the absence or presence of ovulation.
Argued that Duphaston can be used to ensure that menstruation does not come as long as possible. If you take this drug for this purpose, it can lead to disruptions in the endocrine system.
From all of the above, we can conclude: if after taking the medication menstruation does not come, the woman is either pregnant or has more serious abnormalities that should be treated by other methods and medications.
Briefly about menstruation
The menstrual cycle is the time period, which is measured from the first day of the last menstruation to the first day that began. Normally, its duration is 21 - 35 days, and menstruation lasts 3 - 7 days. In the menstrual cycle there are two phases:
- first (controlled by FSH and proceeds under the auspices of estrogens) endometrial proliferation occurs (the proliferative phase).
- During the first phase, the endometrium begins to thicken (up to 4–5 mm) and expand, and the follicles mature in the ovary.
When the level of estrogen reaches its peak, the main follicle is broken and a mature egg comes out of it - which is called ovulation. На месте главного фолликула под действием ЛГ формируется желтое тело, продуцирующее прогестерон. С момента начала секреции гипофизом ЛГ и выработкой прогестерона и начинается вторая или секреторная фаза цикла. В эту фазу слизистая матки разрыхляется и становится отечной, то есть готовится принять, что называется имплантацией, оплодотворенную яйцеклетку.If conception did not happen, then by the end of the second phase, the production of LH, and, accordingly, progesterone decreases, and then stops, and the uterine mucosa begins to reject - this is desquamation or menstruation.
Menstruation should not wait at least 4 (and preferably 8) weeks after giving birth, despite the fact that the woman adheres to artificial feeding. In the first 6 - 8 weeks after birth, the wound surface of the uterus (in the place of the placenta) should heal and increase the new functional layer of the endometrium, ready for desquamation. And if a woman is breastfeeding, then increased prolactin occurs in the blood, which inhibits the production of FSH and LH in the pituitary gland, which, respectively, blocks the secretion of estrogen and progesterone and changes in the endometrium (transformation and secretion) necessary for its rejection - menstruation.
During puberty, the irregular menstrual cycle is considered the norm for two years after menarche, which indicates unstable hormonal levels and constant hormone “jumps”. There is a shortening or lengthening of the cycle, which is accompanied by either a delay in menstruation, or their unexpected occurrence. If after a specified time the cycle is not adjusted, you should be examined and eliminate other causes of delayed menstruation.
Lack of ovulation can occur in a healthy woman in 2 - 3 menstrual cycles throughout the year (see test for ovulation). Due to anovulation, the yellow body does not form, and the proliferative phase does not give way to the secretory, that is, the functional layer of the endometrium does not increase and there is nothing to be rejected. Such anovulatory cycles occur due to short-term failures in the hypothalamus-pituitary-ovaries system under the influence of various, but short-lived factors (climate change, stress, physical overload).
Malnutrition and inadequate nutrition, including strict weight loss diets, affect the menstrual cycle. The level of estrogens, which are synthesized not only in the ovaries, but also in adipose tissue, with a sharp decrease in weight decreases, leading to hormonal disorders up to the development of amenorrhea.
Overweight can also cause permanent delays in menstruation, oligomenorrhea and amenorrhea. Estrogens, synthesized in large quantities by adipose tissue, are converted into androgens, which causes hyperandrogenism, cycle disorder and changes in appearance (acne, stretch marks, hirsutism, and others).
How does duphaston
The active ingredient of the drug "Duphaston" is didrogesterone. In one tablet it is contained in the amount of 10 mg. A special feature of didrogesterone is its similarity in structure, chemical and pharmacological effects with natural (natural) progesterone. Since didrogesterone is not a derivative of testosterone, it does not cause the side effects inherent in most synthetic progestogens derived from androgens (excessive hair growth or voice coarsening).
Also, the drug does not have anabolic activity (does not increase protein synthesis and muscle mass), does not affect the production and metabolism of glucocorticoids and temperature, including basal (for example, when taking COCs, it makes no sense to measure basal temperature). Didrogesterone maintains the beneficial effect of estrogens on blood lipids, but differs in that it does not affect blood clotting. Didrogesterone also does not adversely affect carbohydrate metabolism and liver function.
Didrogesterone makes up for the deficiency of progesterone in the body, that is, it contributes to the unfolding of the second phase of the cycle - loosens the endometrium, preparing it either for implantation of the egg cell, or for rejection (menstruation). Thus, duphaston reduces the increased risk of endometrial hyperplasia or cancer against the background of an excess of estrogens, which is observed during long and regular menstruation delays.
Indications for admission and dosage
The drug, in addition to calling menstruation, is also used for other indications (in case of progesterone deficiency):
- endometriosis - duphaston is prescribed from the 5th to the 25th day of the cycle, 1 tablet twice a day,
- second phase failure (luteal) and treatment of infertility caused by it - from 14 to 25 days of a cycle of 1 tablet,
- premenstrual syndrome - from 11 to 25 days pill twice a day,
- irregular menstruation - from 11 to 25 days pill twice a day,
- amenorrhea - in conjunction with estrogen (from 1 to 25 days once a day) duphaston must be taken on a tablet twice a day from 11 to 25 days of the cycle.
If the reaction of the endometrium to the preparation according to the ultrasound data is not sufficient (the thickness of the endometrium in the second phase does not reach 10 mm), the dose of duphaston is increased to 20 mg.
How duofaston cause monthly?
With a long delay of menstruation should see a doctor, who first excludes pregnancy. If there is no pregnancy, then after careful collection of the anamnesis and complaints, the doctor establishes a possible reason for the delay of menstruation.
- In the case of the influence of external factors (stress, climate change, etc.), menstruation begins independently after the elimination of their actions.
- But in the case of a continuing delay of up to 10 or more days, it is recommended that you take a blood test for hormones, and then proceed to medical treatment.
- Djufaston for a call of monthly is appointed in a dosage of 10 mg (1 tablet) twice a day for 5 days.
- Menstruation begins after discontinuation of the drug, or slightly before the end of the course.
- A delayed action is also possible when the monthly “come” 3 to 7 days after the cancellation of duphaston.
If the patient complains of an irregular menstrual cycle and constant delays of menstruation, then she is prescribed a 3-6 month course of treatment with duphaston from 11 to 25 day of the cycle. As a rule, after such a course of treatment, the cycle is restored.
Admission duphaston may be accompanied by a number of side effects.
- First of all, against the background of treatment with this drug, breakthrough uterine bleeding may occur, which is eliminated by increasing the dose of the medicine.
- Changes in the hematopoiesis system and the development of hemolytic anemia (rarely) are also possible.
- A number of women noted the appearance of a headache or migraine, increased sensitivity of the mammary glands.
- The occurrence of allergic reactions (skin itching and rash, urticaria, and in rare cases, angioedema) is not excluded.
- Possible violations of the liver (weakness or malaise, jaundice and pain in the right hypochondrium).
- And extremely rarely duphaston provokes the development of edema of the extremities.
Analogues of Duphaston
There are a number of drugs whose mechanism of action is similar to duphaston. A distinctive feature of all the listed analogues of duphaston is their ability to cause lethargy and drowsiness and reduce concentration.
The active substance of this medicine is natural micronized progesterone, which is obtained from plant materials. Urozhestan is available in gelatin capsules, which are taken both orally (by mouth) and administered intravaginally. One capsule contains 100 active substances. The dose during treatment is chosen individually in each case and depends on the form of the disease and the severity of clinical symptoms. Utrozhestan, as well as Duphaston, can be taken during gestation.
Price: 28 pcs 410 rubles.
The active ingredient of the drug is progesterone, obtained by synthetic means. Iprozhin is also available in capsules that can be ingested or administered intravaginally. One capsule contains 100 mg of progesterone.
Price: 15 pcs 380 rub.
Kraynon is produced in the form of a gel. One applicator contains 1,125 gr. artificially synthesized progesterone. Applicators are inserted into the vagina.
Price: Kraynon 2200-2700 rub.
This drug also contains synthetic progesterone, 100 or 200 mg in each capsule. Peroral and intravaginal administration of pradzhisana is allowed.
Price: 10 pcs. 270 rub.
I had a long delay, a negative pregnancy test. The doctor ordered to take duphaston. After the end of the reception went dark obscure discharge, which lasted only 2 days. This is normal?
Yes, after the first course of taking the medication, menstruation is not long and rather scarce, which is explained by incomplete proliferation of the endometrium, that is, the uterine mucosa was not yet completely ready to be rejected, since the functional layer of the endometrium did not reach the desired thickness. After three months of Duphaston administration, the hormonal background and the menstrual cycle will even out and the menses will become more intense and prolonged.
The doctor prescribed me duphaston about the long delay, but after the drug was discontinued, the menstruation did not begin. What is the reason?
If pregnancy is 100% excluded, then you may have too low estrogen levels, which did not cause endometrial proliferation in the first phase, and, accordingly, could not encourage the second - secretory phase of the cycle. Thus, the endometrium was “immature” and completely unprepared for desquamation — menstruation. It is necessary to investigate the level of estrogen in the first phase and the content of progesterone in the second and adjust the treatment of the disturbed menstrual cycle with estrogen and progesterone preparations.
Acceptance of duphaston increases weight?
The drug enhances metabolic processes, that is, accelerates the absorption of nutrients, which can "spur" the appetite and provoke an increase in body weight. When treating duphaston one should avoid hypodynamia and control appetite, then the weight will remain the same. A slight increase in body weight due to peripheral edema is possible, but they disappear with the onset of menstruation on their own.
Can duphaston speed up her period?
Yes, taking the drug from the 11th day of the cycle allows you to bring the beginning of menstruation closer, but doctors categorically do not recommend it. All hormonal drugs affect the hormonal background of the body, and the “innocent” desire to move the cycle in one direction or another can lead to ovarian dysfunction and even sterility.