- The true causes of the appearance of endometriosis after the 40-year mark are not certain. But provocative factors were found - obesity, diabetes, reduced immunity.
- The disease is treatable, but it is quite long.
- The scheme of treatment is developed individually.
- After the onset of menopause and cessation of menstruation, the symptoms of the pathology disappear completely.
Endometriosis after the age of 40 years before menopause
Quite often, the primary symptoms develop with the onset of menopause. Why this happens, doctors do not know.
The risk group includes women with the following problems:
- all types of diabetes,
- poor immune defense.
A provoking factor may be predisposition at the gene level and surgery of the reproductive organs, including different types of curettage.
Why do the symptoms of endometriosis disappear when menopause occurs?
With the advent of menopause, the symptoms characteristic of the pathology begin to subside, later disappearing completely. This is explained at the beginning of a decrease, and then a complete cessation of estrogen production.
As a result, the growth of the endometrium stops completely, which causes the disappearance of pathological symptoms.
Danger of complications
The disease developed in women of 40 ... 50 years of age - proceeds in a more complex form than in youth. Without untreated treatment, the development of serious complications is possible.
As such, it is worth considering:
- anemic conditions
- inflammatory processes in the abdominal and pelvic organs,
- endometrial cysts,
Timely and complete diagnosis of pathology
Diagnosing a neglected disease at this age is a fairly common case.
Women in the premenopausal period who are suspected of having the disease need to undergo an extended medical study. To confirm / refute the diagnosis and prescription of treatment, the results of the following tests will be needed:
- general analysis and blood biochemistry
- Ultrasound of the pelvis, abdominal cavity,
- smear test
After receiving the decoding specialist can develop a therapeutic protocol.
Symptoms of the disease in 40-50 years
Potential signs of endometriosis can be:
- excessive bleeding,
- spasms like labor pains,
- active gas formation during menstruation,
- increase in total body temperature
- pain when urinating / emptying the bowels and during sexual contact.
Drug treatment of premenopausal endometriosis
Conservative therapy is a combined use of the following groups of drugs:
Gonadotropin-releasing hormone agents - GnRH (gonadoliberin) agonists have proven themselves well. They help restore the connection between the ovaries, hypothalamus and pituitary gland. The most commonly used are:
- Dekapeptil Depot,
- Lyukrin Depot.
Drugs cause the development of artificial menopause, resulting in a decrease in pathological foci.
The duration of medication is at least six months. Drugs have quite a few contraindications to use, and during therapy, side effects are not excluded.
The treatment regimen also contains:
- Oral contraceptives. As a result of suppressing ovulation and reducing the amount of estrogen, there is a decrease in the foci of inflammation.
- Progesterone medications. This is Mirena's intrauterine device and Depot-check injections.
To receive the recommended intake of vitamin complexes. The course duration is 6 ... 9 months. It is caused by the general condition of the body.
In the process of treating a disease, the gestagen group is widely used. They are necessary to restore impaired ovarian function.
In severe endometriosis, surgery may be required. The indication for surgery is a high probability of the formation of a malignant tumor. Removal of the uterus and / or appendages (fallopian tubes and ovaries) causes the onset of early menopause and is practiced in exceptional cases.
Most often carried out cauterization of the lesion of the endometrium. In the event of an adhesive disease, bowel and / or bladder damage, they are dissected.
Homeopathic treatment is aimed at improving overall well-being, stimulating immune defense and eliminating typical symptoms.
For these purposes it is recommended to use:
- Snake root. It is an anti-inflammatory, anti-edematous, analgesic and sedative effect.
- Thuja It has diuretic properties, eliminates soreness, normalizes the cycle, promotes resorption of cystic formations in the tissues of the ovaries.
- Nux Vomica. Used to reduce the strength of menstrual bleeding, eliminates painful uterine cramps and headaches.
Before you start taking the selected remedy, you should consult with a homeopathic physician.
Followers of Ayurveda believe that the cause of endometriosis is hypothermia and the violation of the internal balance of the body. Based on this, it is supposed to use:
- warming up - visiting the baths, conducting thermal massages in the lumbar region,
- removal of toxins and toxins using herbal infusions and special preparations, in particular, Triphala guggul,
- restoration of inner harmony - this will help various exercises, meditation.
Other endometriosis treatment practices
In the treatment of disease, other methods bring success. A good effect is mud therapy. Procedures can be performed at home. To do this, you will need to purchase or independently dig up clay. In the latter case, it should not contain sand impurities.
Clay should be soaked in water overnight. In the morning, mix the composition and set to warm. As soon as boils, immediately turn off. Cool the mixture to an acceptable temperature, put on cling film and apply on the lower abdomen, after covering the skin with a thin flannel. The duration of the procedure is 2 hours.
When diagnosing endometriosis of the cervix and vagina, you can use tampons. In this case, the drugs are delivered directly to the affected area. Aloe juice can be used as an impregnator. A tampon is formed from the gauze (do not forget to tie a strong thread to it so that it can be removed later), which are thoroughly wetted in the fresh juice of the plant and inserted into the vagina as close as possible to the neck.
Patient reviews on the treatment of endometriosis are diverse. Women who turn to a gynecologist immediately after the onset of characteristic symptoms, write about a complete cure.
Endometriosis is a serious disease that requires mandatory treatment. An important role is given to early diagnosis. That is why after reaching the age of 40, it is so important to undergo regular gynecological examinations.
Causes of endometriosis of the uterus in women
Endometriosis is a disease in which germination of the lining of the uterus, called endometrium, occurs in other places. Most often it is:
- fallopian tubes,
- along the pelvis
- less often happens in other organs more distant from the uterus (heart, lungs and brain).
The fabric accumulates monthly. But unlike the menstrual fluid that comes out of the body, blood and tissue from the damage of endometriosis remain in the body, causing inflammation and adhesions (connective tissue).
Today, the exact cause of endometriosis is unknown, but there are several theories:
- During menstruation, blood with endometrial cells enters the fallopian tubes, where the cells take root and germinate.
There is another theory, according to which the bloodstream spreads endometrial cells throughout the body, during which they attach themselves to organs and germinate. This explains the occurrence of endometriosis in women in the lungs, the brain and not only.
According to the third theory, endometriosis development is promoted by problems with the immune system: it is not able to detect and destroy endometrial tissue outside the uterus.
Features of endometriosis in women after 40 years
The logical outcome of the development and functioning of the female reproductive system is the gradual extinction of ovarian function, ultimately leading to the cessation of the production of the main female hormone, estrogen. During this period, there is a change in the balance between progesterone and estrogen.
A characteristic feature is the attenuation of many diseases of the female genital sphere, caused by excessive hormone levels or their unbalanced fluctuations during cyclical changes that affect the female body (menstrual cycles, pregnancy).
Under these conditions, diseases that are directly associated with an increase in estrogen level are uncharacteristic - an excessive increase in the mass of the intrauterine epithelium and its germination in neighboring organs: the uterus, bladder, umbilical cord, peritoneum.
Currently, this disease is increasingly noted in the initial stage of involution of the ovaries - in pre-climax. In some patients, endometriosis develops after the complete completion of the function of the sex glands, after the onset of menopause. What contributes to the development of this disease in such an inappropriate, in terms of physiology, period?
Theory of endometriosis after 40 years
The predominant theory of the occurrence of endometriosis in the preclimacteric period is the assumption that the cause of the spread of endometrial cells outside the uterus, is the disruption of the movement of the unfertilized egg through the sexual ways - the so-called retrograde menstruation.
During the period of ovulation, the unfertilized egg, together with the uterus epithelium and menstrual fluid, is injected by reverse peristaltic movements of the fallopian tubes into the abdominal cavity, where it is implanted into the lining of the peritoneum and begins to develop. In the process, it gradually grows into the pelvic organs, which causes the development of tumor-like formations. The cause of this phenomenon is considered a violation of the immune system under the influence of hormonal adjustment.
Perhaps the development of two different forms of endometriosis:
- Extragenital (intestine, bladder, ureter),
- Genital - affects the inner surface of the cervical canal, the wall of the vagina.
It is believed that the provoking factors contributing to the development of endometriosis in premenopause and after the onset of menopause may be:
- Endocrine autoimmune diseases,
- Hereditary predisposition
- Surgical interventions
- Aggravated infectious diseases of the pelvic organs.
Symptoms of endometriosis of the uterus in women
The most common symptom of endometriosis is pain during menstruation, which may increase with time and become simply unbearable and debilitating. The pain is caused by internal bleeding - in the place where the endometrium has sprouted.
Other equally rare symptoms are:
- gastrointestinal problems
- painful menstrual periods
- heavy or irregular monthly bleeding,
- pain during bowel movement or urination,
- excessive mood swings
- lower back pain
- large menstrual clots
- swollen belly
- very painful intercourse.
How does endometriosis occur in women?
The classification of the disease is carried out during the surgical procedure - laparoscopy, during the operation the surgeon makes small incisions in the abdomen to see the condition of the intestines, reproductive and other organs:
- stage: minimal endometriosis, characterized by isolated implants and the absence of significant adhesions.
- stage: mild endometriosis with surface implants of less than 5 cm. in aggregate, without significant adhesions.
- stage: moderate endometriosis.
- stage: severe endometriosis, consists of several implants and scars around the tubes and ovaries or several implants, including large ovarian endometriomas with thick adhesions.
In accordance with the stages and many other factors, endometriosis is manifested in each individual case in different ways:
- Often the disease can be completely asymptomatic and can be detected during a sterilization operation or when searching for the cause of infertility.
Some women may suffer from painful menstruation, others from pain during intercourse. There are cases when patients experience a painful bowel opening during menstrual periods.
Treatment of endometriosis in women after 40: drugs
To date, there are no drugs that can cure endometriosis, but treatment is available for the symptoms and problems that it causes. There are several treatment options, depending on the severity of the disease and the expected results.
The treatment of endometriosis in women after 40 is aimed at eliminating pain and discomfort, while in younger women a third is added to the two - to preserve the function of procreation.
The initial treatment for pain symptoms usually occurs with painkillers or analgesics. If a woman does not seek fertility (often after 40 years), and pain is her main symptom, the use of combined oral contraceptive drugs for 3-6 months followed by a short break of 7 days can help alleviate the symptoms.
After menopause, endometriosis is rare, except when receiving additional estrogens as part of hormone replacement therapy (with severe menopause symptoms), since the degree of endometriosis development is directly dependent on the balance of hormones in a woman's body.
In most cases, treatment is aimed at reducing the effect of estrogen on the involutionary organism. The effect is achieved by prescribing individually selected doses of progesterone, which suppresses the effect of estrogens and leads to the attenuation of foci of growth of endometrial cells.
When prescribing hormonal treatment, it is important not to upset the balance of hormones and not to affect other organs and systems.
For women over 40, hormonal contraceptives may include:
- GnRH agonist, which stops the production of hormones in the body responsible for ovulation, the menstrual cycle and the growth of endometriosis. This treatment causes temporary menopause, but it helps control the growth of endometriosis. The menstrual cycle returns immediately after stopping the drug, there are chances even to get pregnant.
Women taking GnRH agonists are advised to take a small amount of hormones or bisphosphonate drugs to prevent bone loss (osteoporosis).
Danazol is a synthetic derivative of testosterone (a male hormone), a steroid that works as a mild androgen (a hormone produced in the male testicles), but does not have estrogenic or progestogenic properties. Androgens are responsible for the functioning of the male reproductive system and the development of male characteristics, such as facial hair and a rough voice.
Oral contraceptives with combined estrogen and progestin (a synthetic form of progesterone) that prevent ovulation and reduce menstrual flow: Marvelon, Triziston, Antevion, Janine.
Progestin is a drug that behaves like the female hormone progesterone. Progestin inhibits the growth of endometrial effects and reduces inflammation caused by endometriosis. During treatment, menstruation and the ability to conceive disappear. Women who have had long-term treatment may experience long delays in the return of menstruation after treatment.
Like all hormones, Progestin has some common side effects, including acne, bloating, bleeding, chest discomfort, depression, fatigue, headaches, upset stomach, nausea, vomiting, and weight gain. These side effects are difficult to live with, and some women cannot undergo treatment, finding them unbearable.
For milder symptoms, Ibuprofen (Advil and Motrin) or Naproxen (Aleve) painkillers are prescribed.
However, these hormonal treatments do not have a long-term effect on the disease itself. They temporarily suppress (soothe) the symptoms, but after stopping the medication the symptoms most often return.
Эстроген способствует росту повреждений эндометриоза, поэтому теоретически снижение уровня эстрогенов в период менопаузы должно уменьшать симптомы. But even after menstruation stops, the ovaries continue to produce a small amount of the hormone, which is sufficient for the further growth of endometriosis.
Women suffering from menopause symptoms, such as hot flashes and night sweats, are often concerned that taking hormone therapy to suppress them can activate endometriosis. To reduce this possibility, many doctors recommend using not synthetic or animal hormones (such as Premarin and Provera), but hormonal preparations:
- micronized progesterone (vaginal gel Prometrium and Crinone).
Treatment with hormonal drugs is possible only in cases where there is confidence that endometriosis has not developed into a malignant form of a tumor of the internal organs of the pelvis, in which only surgical treatment in combination with chemo and radiotherapy is indicated.
In cases of severe endometriosis, when the above treatment does not bring results, often resort to hysterectomy - "surgical menopause."
But even then endometriosis can return after some time if endometrial tissue remains in place after the operation.
Hysterectomy and oophorectomy reduce the risk of developing cancer, but evidence suggests that removal of the ovary to 65 years of age has the disadvantage of increasing the risk of heart disease and osteoporosis, which are much more common than ovarian cancer. This is one of the reasons why doctors solve this problem in each particular case.
Is it possible to cure endometriosis
Some experts argue that endometriosis can be cured by careful removal of lesions or pregnancy, hysterectomy or drugs. But as much as everyone would like to, unfortunately, these statements are absolutely wrong:
- Surgery does not treat endometriosis,
- Lasers do not cure endometriosis,
- Pregnancy does not cure endometriosis,
- Hysterectomy does not cure endometriosis,
- Menopause does not cure endometriosis,
- Contraceptive pills do not cure endometriosis,
- Dietary changes do not cure endometriosis.
There is no complete and total cure for endometriosis.
Treatment of endometriosis by folk methods
Because endometriosis is difficult to treat, and natural therapy does not produce results overnight, there are herbs and supplements that (scientifically proven) can help not only alleviate the pain associated with endometriosis, but also reduce lesions and cysts.
The inclusion of natural treatments in the endometriosis treatment plan does not preclude the use of conventional methods. They can be used integrally, that is, in combination with standard procedures. And you can always go to a more traditional treatment, if the following methods do not bring relief.
But homeopathic physicians recommend testing these natural methods for 6-12 months before taking more drastic measures, including laparoscopic surgery, which has a high recurrence rate and its own risks.
Herbs and Supplements for the Treatment of Endometriosis
It was shown that the first 3 supplements listed below directly improve both endometriosis and the quality of life, including reducing pain during sex, when emptying the bowels and urinating.
In addition, over time, they:
- lead to regression or resolution of damage to the endometrium and associated ovarian cysts,
- improve fertility
- reduce the need for surgery,
- improve sleep
- Melatonin. Despite the fact that this drug is a good natural sleeping pill, it is also a natural detoxifier, especially excessive or harmful forms of estrogen, which explains its strong role in the treatment of endometriosis.
In one study, 40 women with chronic pelvic pain took 10 mg daily from 18 to 45 years of age. melatonin per day. Result:
- Reduction of chronic pain in the pelvic region with endometriosis.
- Reduced pelvic pain during menstruation and during sex.
- Reducing pain during urination and bowel movements.
- In total, the need for painkillers has decreased by 80%, including the reduction of NSAIDs (Ibuprofen).
- Women in the melatonin group also reported significant improvements in sleep and overall well-being.
How to use: Homeopathic doctors recommend starting with 1-3 mg. / day, preferably in the evening, as the drug causes drowsiness. During the month, increase the dose to 10 mg., Take before bedtime, or if it causes inconvenience, you can divide the dose in the afternoon and evening. So melatonin supports the natural processes of detoxification of the body.
N-Acetylcysteine (NAC) is a powerful supplement that increases the amount of glutathione, one of the most important detoxifiers naturally produced in our body. But many of us in the body for some reason (chronic exposure to environmental toxins and even overproduction of our own natural hormones, including estrogen), have a deficit.
Among 92 women in Italy, a study was conducted: 47 women took NAC 600 mg. three times a day, three days a week for three months, and 42 - a placebo. Of those taking N-acetylcysteine (NAC):
- 24 patients canceled scheduled laparoscopy due to a decrease or disappearance of endometriosis, a decrease in pain, or pregnancy! In the other group (with placebo), only 1 patient canceled the operation.
- In 14 women from the NAC group, ovarian cyst growth decreased.
- 8 had complete disappearance of their symptoms, including lesions.
- 21 had a reduction in pain.
- Eight women became pregnant in the NAC group, and 6 in the placebo group.
How to use it: Homeopaths recommend taking 600 mg. three times a day for at least 3 months (timeframe for monitoring a significant reduction in cysts in the above study), and if you see an improvement, this very safe supplement can be taken on an ongoing basis.
Pycnogenol or pine bark extract a special kind of pine. In one study, women took 30 mg. twice a day for a year, resulting in:
- 33% reduction in pain, including severe pain
- Since the decrease in pain was not as fast as the hormonal treatment, the pain itself did not return after taking the drugs, as is the case with medication.
- 5 women became pregnant.
How to use it: At 30 mg., Twice a day for 1 year, you can continue as needed.
Some women report pain relief with acupuncture therapy and herbs (cinnamon, licorice root) and nutritional supplements (thiamine - vitamin B1, magnesium, or omega-3 fatty acids).
Endometriosis: nutrition, food, diet
Endometriosis, like all other diseases, is directly related to our diet:
- According to researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health, women who drink two or more cups of caffeinated coffee (or four cans of coke) are twice as likely to have endometriosis. The reason caffeine has this effect is unknown.
Some studies show that frequent consumption of red meat and ham is associated with the risk of endometriosis, and consumption of fruits and vegetables, on the contrary, protects against it.
Alcohol can also cause endometriosis. Compared with healthy women and women with other gynecological problems in women who consume alcohol, endometriosis is more common.
The disease involves a high degree of inflammation, which, in turn, can lead to a cascade of immune reactions throughout the body. Therefore, it is vital to remove some products that may cause this problem. The most inflammatory foods include: gluten, dairy, and sugar, so eliminating them from the diet is a crucial first step.
Food products that suppress inflammation include turmeric and omega-3. The active ingredient in turmeric, curcumin, has been shown to be effective in inducing apoptosis (cell death), and one study called it an "anti-endometriotic agent."
In addition, turmeric is also a known anti-inflammatory agent that helps in the treatment of pain.
Omega-3 also has an anti-inflammatory effect in the body and can reduce the symptoms of dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation).
Another step in the recovery process is focused on the intestines, since it is here that nutrients are absorbed and it is here that pathogens can hide, which additionally causes inflammation and immune reactions. An interesting fact is that Candida albicans yeast is often associated with endometriosis, therefore, when detecting endometriosis, it is better to check for this type of bacteria.
Detoxification is necessary to get rid of excess estrogen from the body, which may be important for the dominant cases of endometriosis in estrogen.
Unfortunately, today there are so many chemicals in our environment that are known to have an endocrine disruptive effect. Things like plastics, skin care products and other cosmetics, canned goods, feminine hygiene products, cleaning products and pesticides can actually imitate our own hormones and, at the same time, they are extremely difficult to eliminate from the body.
It is always better to use natural products on your body and at home, including stainless steel pans, to store products in glass containers and eat organic products to avoid excessive toxicity. This can take the load off the liver, which allows for the most natural and effective removal of natural hormones.
Consumption of fresh vegetables, especially leafy greens, can contribute to liver detoxification. Some supplements can also help with this process, for example, N-acetylcysteine (NAC).
B vitamins are also involved in detoxification. Its deficiency in the body is often associated with problems of the menstrual cycle, fertility and mood, so it is always recommended to raise the supplement of vitamin B.
Diet for endometriosis
Patients need to stay away from high-fat foods, as they can increase the level of circulating estrogen in the body. The more fat in the diet, the more estrogen the body produces.
A diet for endometriosis should consist of the following products:
- Dietary bird (preferably organic).
- Oily fish such as salmon, mackerel, sardines, trout and herring.
- Berries are high in vitamin C.
- Green leafy vegetables such as broccoli, bok choy, cabbage, cabbage, Brussels sprouts.
- Yellow-orange vegetables such as pumpkin and sweet potatoes (containing a range of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber). But not citrus fruits (especially grapefruit and oranges), as they can irritate the stomach and prevent the body from removing estrogen.
- Nuts and seeds.
- Gluten-free grains such as rice, corn and buckwheat.
- Milk products.
- Healthy oils such as olive and linseed oil.
- Products for maintaining healthy intestinal flora, such as yogurt, kefir.
The essence of endometriosis
Endometrium is the inner layer of the uterus, the cells of which in a normal state must be exclusively inside the genital organ. If these cells germinate into the thickness of the uterine walls or migrate beyond the limits of the organ, this is a pathological condition for the woman’s body.
- In some cases, endometrial cells, instead of going outside with menstrual secretions after their rejection from the uterine walls, enter the abdominal cavity, where they survive and abnormally multiply. In this case, external endometriosis is diagnosed.
- If the cells germinate in the thickness of the uterine layers, the diagnosis is internal endometriosis.
This disease is more typical for women aged 25-35, and about 20% of cases fall on the fair sex after the age of forty.
Next, we consider the causes of the pathology, its symptoms and treatment.
In order to properly develop a treatment regimen that will bring quick results, it is important to know exactly the reasons that provoked the development of endometriosis.
After 40 years, the following factors can cause an abnormal growth of endometriotic foci:
- menstruation, during which blood cells are thrown into the abdominal cavity and take root to the tissues and organs,
- genetics, which contributes to the development of pathology, if there have already been cases of the formation of endometriotic foci in the genus,
- hormonal imbalance, which reduces the production of the hormone of pregnancy (progesterone) and increases the level of the stress hormone (prolactin), which contributes to the spread of abnormal cells in the body,
- reduction of protective functions of the body. With strong immunity, the pathological cells do not survive and die outside the endometrium,
- spontaneous regeneration of normal cells into endometrium cells that are similar in structure to the cells. This is extremely rare.
Pathology may be the result of difficult labor, cesarean section, abortion, and other surgical interventions. Endometriosis can be provoked by poor ecology, radiation, chronic inflammatory pathologies in the reproductive system, and even the use of an IUD.
A woman after overcoming the fortieth year is still capable of conceiving and bearing healthy offspring, therefore, if she is diagnosed with endometriosis, the pathology should be treated without fail. At the advanced stage of the disease, the quality of life of the fair sex can deteriorate, especially in cases where other organs, including the stomach, rectum, etc., are affected by the pathology. Nowadays there are a large number of methods for treating endometriosis, the main task of the attending physician is to develop a treatment regimen for a patient with a similar pathology.
Get rid of pain
The main symptom of pathology is pain, so for a start, the doctor prescribes medications that can soothe the pain and return the woman to work. For this purpose, prescribed drugs such as:
In addition to the analgesic action, the remedy also relieves inflammation by blocking the secretion of prostaglandins, which increase the susceptibility of the receptors to the mediators of pain. If a woman's menstruation occurs regularly, then to relieve pain caused by endometriosis, you can begin taking painkillers one day before the onset of menstruation.
You can take analgesics as soon as pain appears.
As an addition to traditional treatment, you can use herbal remedies on a plant basis:
- infusions of calendula - they can be drunk, used for douching or for laying tampons. The decoction is prepared from 2 table. lie dry grass, which is poured with a glass of boiling water, is settled and ingested ½ cup three times a day. To improve the effectiveness of the drug, you can add berries of viburnum, immortelle or St. John's wort,
- tampons with aloe juice, propolis and honey. For the preparation of a three-year-old aloe leaf juice is squeezed out and mixed with 1 tsp. honey, in the resulting mixture is added a few particles of propolis, the drug is mixed and soaked with a tampon, and then injected into the vagina for an hour. If there is no burning sensation, the tampon stays inside all night,
- help to restore the activity of the reproductive system by means of boron uterus and red brush. They are taken together or separately, but with endometriosis, their combination is more effective. Herbal decoction is taken three times a day before a meal in ½ or a third cup. You can also buy at the pharmacy ready-made liqueur on alcohol,
- In the vagina, you can lay a gauze swab with onions, pre-boiled in milk until soft, and then mashed into porridge. The tampon must be laid in the vagina for at least 3 hours.
The possibility of using traditional medicine in the treatment of endometriosis should be necessarily negotiated with your doctor.
Endometriosis and pregnancy after 40 years
Although experts believe that conception and pathologies of the reproductive system in the fifth decade of a woman’s life are incompatible concepts, the probability of pregnancy with endometriosis is still there. Due to illness, the chances of conception are significantly reduced after 40 years, but when it occurs, pathology does not harm the embryo in any way.
The whole period of gestation of the fetus pathology is weak, but in any case, all the risks of pregnancy at this age in the presence of endometriosis should be discussed with your doctor.
Causes of development in pre-menopausal and menopausal periods
Самые распространенные причины эндометриоза у женщин старше 40 лет следующие:
With menstrual blood cells can be thrown into the belly.
This movement causes the endometrial cells to enter the peritoneum region and take root there.
On the pages of our site you will also learn about the features of the treatment of uterine fibroids with drugs!
And about what else there are methods of treatment of uterine fibroids, as well as possible complications of the disease, read this article.
Have you heard of uterine interstitial myoma? What is this form of the disease and how is this neoplasm of small size treated here.
Symptoms of the disease
It is necessary to take into account that endometriosis tissues may have different sizes from the pinhead to very large formations.
Many women can live with the disease for many years without feeling any symptoms. They can also change in a short time.
The larger the growing areas, the more pronounced the symptoms will be.
The main symptoms in women at the age will be the following:
- Lower abdominal painwhich may be cyclical. As endometrial tissues spread throughout the body, pain can be felt in different parts of the body.
- Pain when intimate contact. The pain can be felt deep inside and continue for several hours after sex.
- Dizziness may occurirritability.
- Sometimes illness may be accompanied by blood in the urine or feces.
Danger of illness
Endometriosis cannot be ignored.. Young women often treat him because they want to have a baby. But even if you are already aged, and do not plan offspring, you need to take action. The most severe and common complication of the disease in women over 40 is post-hemorrhagic anemia.
It is a serious blood loss. due to the detachment of the endometrium in all places where it grows. Older women find it harder to recover from severe bleeding.
It must be borne in mind that this disease during menopause can be the reason that tissues are reborn into benign and malignant tumors. Large areas can cause obstruction (blockage) of the intestine or ureter.
How to treat
If the symptoms of the disease are mild, then it may not require special treatment. It will be enough only regular monitoring by a specialist.
However, in some cases, without treatment can not do. Prescribes her doctor based on the severity of endometriosis and the results of the research.
Conservative treatment of premenopausal and postmenopausal endometriosis involves the prescription of hormonal drugs along with anti-inflammatory painkillers.
Such as Ibuprofen, Papaverine, Novigan, as well as drugs to maintain immunity (Cycloferon, Tocopheron and others).
In fact, the treatment regimen is about the same as that of younger women. The following groups of medications are commonly used:
- Hormonal drugs. Gonadotropin-releasing hormone preparations - GnRH (gonadoliberin) agonists have proven themselves in the fight against this disease.
They help restore the connection between the ovaries, pituitary and hypothalamus. The most effective means of this group are Diferelin, Busepelin, Zoladex, Decapeptil Depot, Lyukrin Depot. They bring the body closer to a state close to menopause, which reduces the foci of the disease.
It is necessary to treat endometriosis for a long time, up to six months.. Remember also that hormonal drugs have many side effects, and they can be used only on the recommendation of a doctor and according to the scheme he prescribed. Otherwise there is a risk of causing severe harm to the body.
Mainly used medicinal plants:
It is used for drinking, syringing, making tampons.. First you need to make a decoction. Two tablespoons of dry or chopped fresh herbs should be poured with a glass of boiling water and allowed to cool to room temperature.
Drink half a glass inside three times a day. To improve the effect, you can add immortelle, viburnum and St. John's wort to the grass.
Various douching, iodine-bromine baths can be used for the treatment of endometriosis after 40 years. If traditional methods are ineffective, surgery may be requiredaimed at cauterization of endometrial cells or their removal. It can be performed in different ways: by electrocoagulation, laser vaporization, and also by laparoscopy, which today is considered the most effective and minimally traumatic.
Prescribing therapy, the doctor takes into account the age of the patient.. If menopause has not yet arrived, drugs for its artificial induction may be indicated.
You will learn about the causes, symptoms and peculiarities of treatment of endometriosis, including in women over 40, from the “Most Important” program:
On our site we offer to get acquainted with the main signs, symptoms and treatment of menopause in women of age!
Want to learn about modern adnexitis treatment? A list of necessary drugs, as well as some tips and recommendations from doctors look in this review.
In our next article we will tell about the first symptoms of nonspecific colpitis, and how to prevent a dangerous disease.
Need to understand that the success of the therapy will depend on your lifestyle in general. It is never too late to give up alcohol and nicotine, especially as our health reacts worse and worse with age.
It is important not to be stressed, to lead a more active lifestyle, to spend time in the fresh air - all this has a positive effect on overall health, and of course, the fight against endometriosis is also relevant. Take care also about proper nutrition.
Do not try to establish a diagnosis yourself and treat it.. In this case, even the safest folk methods can only harm.
Especially with endometriosis after 40 years do not try to experiment with hormonal and birth control pillsotherwise the whole body may cause serious malfunction.
Endometriosis is not a sentence, it can and should be treated, and the modern medical industry offers many means for this. With age, you need to be especially careful about your health, so do not ignore the problem.
What is endometriosis?
The most common endometriosis is found in:
- fallopian tubes
- tissues that hold the uterus in place
- the outer surface of the uterus
More rarely, the disease affects the vagina, cervix, vulva, intestines, bladder or rectum. There are cases when endometriosis has manifested itself in other parts of the body - the lungs, brain and skin.
Pain relievers for endometriosis
- Paracetamol during menstruation, this is all that is needed if the symptoms are mild.
- Anti-inflammatory painkillers, stronger than Paracetamol and more effective in case of more severe pain:
- Codeine alone or in combination with Paracetamol is a more powerful anesthetic, if other anti-inflammatory drugs do not help. Constipation is a common side effect.
Why does the disease cause pain and health problems?
Endometrium is the mucosa of the inner part of the uterus, the cells of which are thrown along the blood and lymphatic channels into various organs of the body. There they are fixed and behave like cells of the lining of the uterus.
When these lesions are destroyed, bubbles filled with blood and dead cells are formed. Bursting of the bubbles is accompanied by a cutting pain.
What causes endometriosis?
Today it is not known for certain what causes this disease, but according to doctors, the following factors may be directly related to it:
- The problems associated with the menstrual period. Retrograde menstruation is the most likely cause of endometriosis. Blood flows through the fallopian tubes to other areas of the body, such as the pelvis.
- Genetic factors. Since endometriosis is manifested in families, it can be inherited in genes.
- Problems of the immune system.
- Hormones. The hormone estrogen promotes the growth of endometriosis.
- Surgery. During operations in the abdominal region, such as cesarean section or hysterectomy, endometrial tissues may be mistakenly inserted into these tissues.
Hormonal treatments for endometriosis in women after 40 years
Estrogen is a hormone that is produced in the ovaries. The cells lining the inner surface of the uterus, estrogen is necessary for growth and survival. Endometrial cells outside the uterus that cause endometriosis also need estrogen.
Hormone therapy works by reducing the amount of estrogen or by blocking the effect of estrogen on endometrial cells. Not receiving the proper amount of this hormone, which promotes cell growth and multiplication, the areas of endometriosis are gradually reduced.
Different types of hormonal therapy work by acting on various parts of this process and ultimately aim at reducing the amount of estrogen in order to block its effect on endometrial cells.
Surgery for the treatment of endometriosis
Despite the effectiveness of modern drugs, conservative treatment of endometriosis is not always enough.
The most popular and effective method is laparoscopy, during which a minimal skin incision with a diameter of less than 1 cm is carried out. The high resolution of modern laparoscopy machines makes it possible to detect even microscopic foci of endometriosis.
Direct removal of pathological foci from the surface of the endometrium is carried out using a special electrocoagulator or a laser. In the case of severe disease, the question of complete removal of the uterus may be considered. Such an intervention is also carried out using the technique of laparoscopy.
Combined treatment of endometriosis in women after 40 years
The “gold standard” for treating endometriosis in women over 40 is considered to be a combined approach:
- The first stage of this approach is laparoscopic removal of all foci of endometriosis, as well as possible small ovarian cysts.
- The second stage of the combined approach is hormone therapy, the purpose of which is to significantly reduce the recurrence of the disease.
- The use of the combined treatment significantly increases the percentage of the effectiveness of the total therapy by at least 60%.
If the symptoms are mild and there is no pregnancy in the plans, then treatment may not be necessary. In about 3 out of 10 cases, endometriosis passes by itself.
Outbreaks can also continue to grow and expand, causing problems:
- blockage of the fallopian tubes - endometriosis bubbles cover or grow in the ovaries and can form a cyst,
- the formation of scar tissue and adhesions (the type of tissue that binds the organs together). This scar tissue can lead to pelvic pain and problems with conception,
- bowel and bladder problems.
Symptoms of the disease and age features
Not all women's diseases immediately make themselves felt. Symptoms may be absent, and the disease manifests itself only when the pathology progressed.
Endometriosis in menopause initially asymptomatic. Distinctive manifestations that a woman over 40 should pay attention to are as follows:
- abundant periods,
- the occurrence of severe pain syndromes
- dark brown discharge during menstruation,
- increased flatulence on critical days,
- temperature rise,
- pain when using the toilet
- discomfort during intercourse.
Endometriosis is characterized by proliferation of the endometrium, a tissue that normally lines the inner surface of the uterus. In the presence of pathology, its cells spread outside the reproductive organ. After 40–50 years, the risk of this disease increases.
The onset of menopause makes the symptoms of endometriosis clear. Menopause pains are constant or occur periodically during the execution of the same activity. Foci are not only on the cervix, but also outside. Because of this, symptoms of the disease can occur in different parts of the woman’s body.
To help herself and protect herself from the consequences, a woman must understand what causes endometriosis after 40 years. Sometimes the development and progression of the disease can be prevented.
Endometriosis after 40 years: causes and effects
Foci of enlarged endometrial tissue can be localized not only within the reproductive system. Together with the bloodstream, fragments of pathological cells are spread through the ovaries, fallopian tubes, lungs, intestines, and bladder. Settling in various organs, disease centers are formed.
During menstruation, when the total hormones change, endometrial cells that depend on hormones receive a command to go outside. Tissue located in the uterus and tubes, freely released with monthly secretions. Due to endometriosis during critical days, women notice unusual phenomena:
- acute diarrhea,
- nausea and vomiting.
The exact reasons for this behavior of endometrial cells are not fully understood. The following factors are considered the most significant in the development of the disease:
- low immunity
- hormonal imbalance
- genetic predisposition to the disease,
- deferred abortions and miscarriages.
Most of these factors are beginning to actively manifest in women after 40. Hormonal adjustment and unstable menstrual cycle are predisposing for the development of endometriosis.
Features of the disease are directly related to the level of female hormones. The basis of the normal cycle provides a balance of estrogen and progesterone.
After 40 years of age, progesterone production is reduced. When estrogen stimulates endometrial growth in order to provide favorable conditions for implantation of a fertilized egg, an increase in progesterone stops this process and stimulates rejection. Hormonal imbalance leads to uncontrolled growth of endometrial tissue, including outside the uterus.
Features of the treatment of the disease
Treatment of endometriosis in women after 40 years has its own characteristics. In order for the therapy to produce a lasting effect, and after the completion of the medication, the symptoms did not recur, an individual approach is important. It is necessary to monitor the dynamics of the state after the start of the use of drugs. When choosing a treatment method, the doctor takes into account whether a woman wishes to have children after 40 years of age.
The progression of endometriosis can lower the quality of life. With the growth of tissues outside the reproductive system, problems with the stomach and intestines arise. The speed and intensity of growth of the endometrium affect the amount of menstrual flow and general well-being.
The treatment is carried out by different methods. Hormone pills, pain relief and even surgical interventions can be used. The course of therapy for women after 40-50 gynecologist determines individually, based on the results of the survey.
Conservative therapy begins with the elimination of negative symptoms, which lowers the quality of life of a woman after 40. For this, pain relievers can be used:
These drugs can not be used for a long time, as they have a negative effect on the mucous membrane of the digestive tract. When menstruation is very painful, such medications can be started one day before the start of a new cycle. It helps to stop discomfort in critical days.
The main drugs for the treatment of endometriosis in women after 40 are hormonal agents. Since the growth of the endometrium depends on the level of hormones, such therapy is most often effective.
In the course of treatment, a specialist selects medicines that inhibit the production of sex hormones in the ovaries. A condition similar to artificial climax is developing. Due to the lack of estrogen, endometriosis development becomes impossible. Abnormal cells do not grow, and already formed foci of disease can regress.
In the period of menopause recovery takes a long period of time. After 40, this gap can reach more than six months. Normalization of hormonal balance takes an even longer period of time.
To reduce the possible consequences of taking hormonal drugs, some gynecologists recommend the setting of the intrauterine device. The product evenly releases hormones into the uterine cavity, controlling endometrial tissue growth.
Operational and combined methods
Treatment of endometriosis in women after 50 years can be carried out not only by a conservative medical method. Performing surgeries is required when drug therapy has proved ineffective or the woman asked for help with the running form of endometriosis.
The operation is performed in the following cases:
- There are contraindications for hormones,
- 6 months of conservative therapy did not produce results
- foci of endometriosis more than 3 cm in diameter,
- severe pathology, accompanied by severe bleeding.
After surgery, the use of hormones is mandatory. Otherwise, after manipulation, the disease may develop again.
The operation may take place in different ways. Often enough to remove the pathological endometrial tissue. To do this, a puncture is done in the abdominal cavity and intervention is carried out.
After 50 or 60 years during menopause, it is often necessary to resort to more radical surgical intervention. During the operation, the uterus, ovaries and all foci of overgrown tissue are removed. Subsequent hormone therapy is required.
Endometriosis and pregnancy after 40 years are compatible, although the probability of conception is somewhat reduced. If a woman suffers from infertility caused by the growth of the endometrium, after adequate treatment, the well-being can be improved.
Menstruation as a result of successful treatment of the disease is soon restored, including after 40. The cycle becomes stable, and ovulation starts to occur again in time. Even after surgery, pregnancy is possible. During the operation, adhesions can be destroyed, which improves the patency of the fallopian tubes and increases the likelihood of successful conception.
Prompt treatment of endometriosis in a woman over 40 years old helps to preserve the health of the reproductive organs, avoid dangerous complications and, if desired, take out and give birth to a healthy child.
It should be noted that a conservative method of treatment is not always effective. Therefore, surgical treatment is used. Laparoscopy is the optimal method for the diagnosis and treatment of endometriosis.
Through a small incision of the abdominal wall using a laparoscope, you can conduct a diagnostic examination and simultaneous excision of adhesions, removal of a cyst, and so on. It is the use of laparoscopy that will give the greatest chance of cure without the occurrence of relapses.
The method of treatment and the choice of drugs depends on the degree of development of the disease. If a woman at the age of 40 is planning a pregnancy, then all treatment is aimed at preserving the organs of the reproductive system. It is not worthwhile to engage in self-treatment, because you can get further progression of the disease with a high risk of severe bleeding.
The process of healing the body is well influenced by physiotherapy. Often prescribed radon baths, electrophoresis. Acupuncture (acupuncture) includes 12 procedures, you can assign up to four sessions. Appoints the procedure gynecologist!
Hirudotherapy (treatment with leeches) will help eliminate the symptoms of inflammation, will have an analgesic effect.
By permission of the attending physician and in the absence of allergic reactions, herbs can be used. This will be an addition to the main treatment. You can use lemon balm, nettle, shepherd's purse, boron uterus. You can purchase these herbs at the pharmacy, and you can discuss the dosage and method of use with your doctor.
Endometriosis after 40 years, causes and effects
According to medical statistics, this disease occurs in every second woman of childbearing age. Normally, the cells lining the inner wall of the uterus (endometrium) are removed from the body during menstruation. Pathology causes the growth of the endometrium, rejecting cells by blood flow through the body, settling on the walls of other organs of the genitourinary, digestive and even respiratory systems. There they form endometriotic foci.
The reasons for this "wrong" behavior of endometrial cells are not fully understood. Most experts believe that the main factors for the development of endometriosis are:
- hormonal disorders,
- reduced overall immunity,
- bad heredity
It is after forty years, before the climacteric period, that the hormonal status and immune defense of the female body change. The menstrual cycle is disturbed, the increase in estrogen production contributes to the pathological proliferation of the inner layer of the uterus, and reduced immunity is not able to prevent the introduction of endometrial cells into the walls of other organs.
At this age, other causes of the disease may be added, for example, diabetes mellitus, thyroid abnormalities, diseases of the cardiovascular system, overweight.
As the growth of endometriotic lesions on other pelvic organs and in the abdominal cavity appear cysts and adhesions. These non-malignant neoplasms affect the functioning of the body, causing certain symptoms:
- during menstruation, pain may occur in the lower abdomen or in the lumbar region,
- the duration of menstruation increases to 7-8 days,
- the menstrual cycle is broken,
- menstruation is accompanied by heavy bleeding,
- in between there are brown discharge,
- during intercourse pain occurs.
Significant blood loss on days critical for a woman can lead to anemia. According to experts, the low immune status of the body in combination with adverse environmental factors and an unhealthy lifestyle can lead to cancers of the reproductive organs. In 50% of cases in women of this age, infertility is observed.
1. Hormonal drugs, the possible consequences of taking
With the onset of menopause, endometriosis in women, as experts note, often passes. Estrogen production decreases, endometrial growth ceases, complete recovery occurs. Therefore, the task of hormone therapy in premenopause is to change the level of sex hormones to the level of postmenopause.
Sex hormones are produced in the ovaries. Regulate this process, releasing special substances, the hypothalamus and pituitary gland. Therefore, treatment of endometriosis with hormonal drugs is aimed at:
- direct changes in the level of hormones in the blood with the introduction of special drugs,
- hormonal effects on the ovaries,
- regulation of hormone production by the pituitary and hypothalamus.
In accordance with these areas, several groups of hormonal drugs are used to treat the disease:
- Progestins or progestogens, which act in a manner similar to progesterone, suppress the production of estrogens, hence, the growth of the endometrium. These include Duphaston and Norkolut, produced in tablet form, as well as Utrogestan, which can be used in the form of tablets and intramuscularly.
- Combined oral contraceptives contain one or more hormonal drugs. Increasing the level of hormones in the blood, they reduce the production of estrogen by the ovaries, due to which the growth of endometriosis foci gradually stops. This group includes Janine, Marvelon, Femoden, Yarin, Silhouette and others. All are available in tablets.
- Hormonal agents, indirectly affecting the work of the ovaries, lead the body into a state of temporary menopause. The concentration of estrogen decreases, the growth of abnormal endometrium cells is suppressed. The drugs of this group include Diferelin, intended for intramuscular administration, nasal spray Buserelin, Zoladex for subcutaneous injections, Lyukrin-depot - for subcutaneous and intramuscular administration.
- Oral contraceptives with a minimum hormone content (the so-called mini-pili). Their effectiveness is low, but they have anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. The most popular among them are Charozetta, Ovret, Mikrolut and Mikropar.
Only a specialist can determine the strategy for treating endometriosis and select a suitable hormonal drug. This applies to all women of childbearing age, but especially those over forty.
Often the disease is accompanied by pathology of the mammary glands. Mastopathy develops due to an imbalance of hormones. At the same time, they also carry out hormone therapy, use progestins or mini-drank drugs such as Byzanna.
When prescribing hormones, it is necessary to inform the attending physician about the presence of concomitant diseases, since the use of these medicines has a number of contraindications, which include:
- allergic reaction,
- exacerbations of chronic liver and kidney diseases,
- diabetes and hyperthyroidism,
- tendency to thrombosis,
- uterine fibroids,
- oncological diseases.
Women who are smokers are also at risk. Hormonotherapy with cystic lesions of the ovaries is carried out with caution.
Long-term use of hormones (4-6 months) often leads to negative consequences. The most common are:
- increased appetite and, as a result, weight gain,
- swelling of the face and legs,
- blood clots
- the appearance of acne,
- frequent migraines,
The development of these unpleasant phenomena does not depend on the type of drugs used. In addition, hormone therapy does not exclude the occurrence of relapses.
In the presence of concomitant diseases and to relieve pain syndrome, anti-inflammatory, painkillers, antispasmodics are prescribed, that is, they carry out complex therapy.
2. Comprehensive treatment of endometriosis
If concomitant diseases or allergic reactions interfere with the use of hormones, the doctor prescribes therapy with non-hormonal anti-inflammatory drugs. It is not as effective, but it helps to remove the symptoms of the disease for a long time. It is used, as a rule, in the initial stages of endometriosis.
Anti-inflammatory drugs with analgesic effects include Ibuprofen, Ketoprofen, Ksefokam, Movalis, relieve spasmodic pains No-shpa, Spazmalgon, Maksigan, Halidor. They can be taken with hormone therapy.
The scheme of complex treatment of endometriosis, regardless of whether hormones are used or not, includes several groups of drugs. Their task is to improve the general condition of the woman’s body, improve immunity, and normalize the hormonal background. These remedies include:
- Endoferin, a hormone-free protein substance. Use the drug when it is impossible to carry out hormone therapy. The composition includes a natural extract from the cattle ovaries, inhibiting the growth of the endometrium and normalizing the menstrual cycle. Unfortunately, the drug is not registered in the Russian Federation, although the positive results of treatment in the initial stages of the disease are described. As prescribed by the doctor can be used in complex therapy.
- Phytohormones - substances contained in plants, the structure of the molecules and the action similar to human hormones. A large number are in soybeans, green tea, spinach, broccoli. Do not have contraindications, do not cause unpleasant symptoms, even with prolonged use. They normalize hormones and the menstrual cycle, reduce bleeding, relieve inflammation. Well proven drugs Remens, made on the basis of the extract of cimicifugu, Inoklim, containing soy phytohormones. To this group can be attributed, and Cyclodinone, containing an extract of the fruits of the ordinary prutnyak, stabilizing the level of sex hormones.
- Immunomodulators - drugs that equalize the immune status of the body. It is recommended to use those that contain substances of biological origin. For example, Derinat drops are made from sturgeon DNA, Vilozen from cattle thymus, Immunal, echinacea juice.
- Sedatives soothe the nervous system, relieve tension, improve sleep. With complex treatment, it is better to choose herbal medicines, such as tinctures or pills of Valerian and motherwort, peony tincture, preparations with Hypericum extract (Negrustin).
- Tranquilizers are prescribed for the propensity to neurosis, anxiety states, which are often accompanied by endometriosis. To avoid addiction, they are used briefly, avoiding potent drugs. The most "soft" are Afobazol, Mebikar, Mexidol.
- Iron preparations are necessary for the prevention of anemia, which develops with menstrual irregularities and heavy bleeding. Preference is given to drugs for oral administration, which provides better absorption of iron by the body. These include Ferroplex, Ferroceron or Aloe with iron (syrup).
- Vitamins improve metabolism, enhance immunity, strengthen the nerves. Therefore, “vitamin therapy” is part of the complex treatment of endometriosis. Vitamins A, C, D, E, group B are desirable.
Despite the fact that most of these funds are freely sold in pharmacies, you can take them yourself, with the exception of sedatives of plant origin,. Only the attending physician, assessing the degree of development of endometriosis, its symptoms, and concomitant diseases, prescribe the means for complex treatment.I.
If the initial phase of the disease is diagnosed, physiotherapy is recommended, for example, electrophoresis, reflexology, ultraviolet or laser radiation. Physiotherapy is contraindicated in advanced stages of the disease. In this case, surgery is necessary.
Nontraditional treatment of endometriosis
Methods of traditional medicine involve the use of approved drugs according to officially accepted schemes. Most drugs have contraindications, their prolonged use leads to disruption of other organs. Therapy is not to eliminate the causes of the disease, but only to eliminate the consequences.
Drug treatment is not always effective, good results can be obtained only in the initial phases of the disease, often it ends with the development of a chronic process. In such cases, unconventional medicine, which treats the organism as a whole, comes to the rescue. It aims to eliminate the causes of the disease.
3. Traditional medicine for endometriosis
The experience of treating many diseases with herbs and potions that has accumulated over hundreds of years is useful today. Broths, infusions, water and alcohol solutions, used for a long time, help to cure chronic diseases, prevent the development of relapses, improve overall health.
Herbal therapy (herbal medicine) is widely used in traditional medicine for endometriosis in women after forty. For this purpose, used medicinal plants that normalize hormone levels, increase immunity, reduce bleeding, relieve pain. These properties have nettle, St. John's wort, elecampane, plantain, calamus, knotweed, silverweed and others. In pharmacies, they are sold both separately and in the form of fees.
Medical fees can be prepared independently. To do this, mix 1 teaspoon of several herbs, pour 0.5 liters of boiling water, wrap and insist in a warm 2-3 hours. Use only enameled or glassware. It is necessary to drink the infusion before meals for half a cup of a course of 3-4 weeks, then take a break of 10 days and repeat the course. Already after 2-3 courses the menstrual cycle is normalized, bleeding decreases.
The Red Brush and Borovoy uterus have the highest efficacy in the treatment of endometriosis, herbs that make decoctions, tinctures and tinctures. The unique properties of these plants are appreciated by traditional medicine. Preparations from the Red Brush (scientific name Rhodiola chetyrehlepestnaya) are capable of:
- regulate hormone levels
- уменьшать кровотечения,
- снимать спазмы,
- нормализовать кровяное давление,
- повышать устойчивость к стрессам и неблагоприятным факторам,
- улучшать общий тонус организма.
This is a rare plant, therefore, in order to avoid fakes, it is recommended to buy in pharmacies only grass collected in Altai, which guarantees its quality.
Borovaya uterus (Ortiliya one-sided) is valued in gynecology due to the presence of important biological components, such as:
- phytohormones that inhibit endometrial growth,
- anticoagulants that prevent thrombosis,
- vitamins that improve the blood,
- bioflavonoids with a diuretic effect,
- trace elements (manganese, zinc), contributing to increased immunity.
It is possible to treat broths and infusions from these herbs together with prescribed medications.
For greater effectiveness, herbalists recommend alternately drinking their infusions according to the following scheme: Take the Borovoy uterus for 2 weeks - a week break - 2 weeks for the Red Brush. If no unpleasant symptoms (indigestion, headaches) appear, increase the intake of each drug up to 4 weeks. A break make two weeks. Treatment continues for 6-8 months.
Water infusions of Borovoy uterus and Red Brush are prepared and taken according to a simple scheme:
- 2 tablespoons of chopped herbs pour 0.5 liters of hot water (60-70 ° C),
- put in a boiling water bath for 15-20 minutes,
- cool, strain, add boiled water to 0.5 liters,
- drink before meals, starting with a quarter of a glass, gradually increasing the intake to 0.5 cups.
Use only glass or enamelware. Infusion stored in a dark cool place for no more than 3 days. With endometriosis, these agents are also used for douching. The first procedures are carried out by diluting the infusion with water 1: 1.
Help with endometriosis alcohol or vodka tinctures of these herbs. The method of preparation and use for them is the same:
- 2 tablespoons of crushed raw materials pour 0.5 liters of high-quality vodka,
- insist, periodically shaking, in a dark place Borovoy uterus 10 days, Red brush 3-4 weeks,
- take 20-40 drops with water 2-3 times a day, regardless of the meal.
Using herbal remedies, you need to remember that any of them may have contraindications and cause side effects.. In order to avoid these problems, you should consult with your doctor before starting the reception.
Traditional medicine offers to treat endometriosis and other means, for example, using beekeeping products, cleansing the body with oils, juices, water. Their impact, compared with conventional drugs, is more gentle, but the effect of the application is much lower. Therefore, traditional methods are best used as an addition to traditional therapy.
What it is
Endometriosis is a pathology in which endometrial cells - the inner layer of the uterus - pass to the surface of other organs.
Thus, the cervix and uterine tubes, ovaries, and organs of other systems — the intestines, bladder, and others — are affected.
The exact causes of the development of endometriosis in women are not called, but there are several theories according to which such a failure occurs in the body:
- Heredity. Experts believe that the likelihood of endometriosis is laid at the genetic level. For this reason, the disease is often diagnosed in women from the same family.
- Retrograde menstruation. In this case, the menstrual tissue is thrown into the abdominal cavity, grows into the tissues of other organs, begins to increase and function.
- Transfer by the lymphatic system. Proponents of this theory believe that abnormal cells are transferred to other parts of the body with the direct participation of the lymphatic system.
The risk of endometriosis is significantly increased in the following cases:
- inflammatory and infectious diseases of the pelvic organs,
- difficult childbirth
- the presence of uterine fibroids,
- curettage of the uterus,
- reduction of the body's immune forces
- bad habits - alcohol consumption, smoking.
Symptoms of endometriosis can be either pronounced or not at all. Therefore, it is important to undergo a gynecologist examination at least twice a year, especially after 40 years.
Signs that may indicate the presence of endometriosis:
- spotting dark color from the vagina before and after menstruation,
- profuse and prolonged menstruation,
- bleeding between menstruation,
- daub after intimate relationships,
- severe pain in the lower abdomen, either during menstruation or throughout the cycle.
Treatment of endometriosis in women can only be prescribed for diagnosis. The following procedures are prescribed for diagnosis:
- Examination by a gynecologist. With the help of mirrors, the doctor will see the condition of the vagina and cervix.
- Ultrasound procedure. The most accurate information about the disease can be obtained during the examination on the 25th day of the cycle.
- Hysteroscopy. The uterus is examined with a hysteroscope.
The basis of drug treatment of endometriosis - hormonal drugs. To obtain the desired effect prescribed long-term medication.
Prescribe the following remedies:
- Combined oral contraceptives - Janine, Regulon, Diane-35, Logest. The duration of treatment is at least 6 months. Taking drugs helps to normalize the cycle, relieve inflammation and pain.
- Progestins - Utrozhestan, Byzanna, Duphaston. In their composition is gestagenny component. Taking these pills helps not only to eliminate endometriosis, but also to preserve the ability to conceive.
- Anti-progestin drugs - Danazol, Gestrinon.
- Agonists - Zoladex, Nafarelin, Buserelin.
Auxiliary drugs are also prescribed:
- No-shpa - to eliminate painful spasms,
- Ibuprofen - to relieve the inflammatory process,
Some women are interested in the treatment of endometriosis without hormones.
In this case, you can pay attention to physiotherapy and other methods that are also effective in pathology:
- Acupuncture. Therapy is prescribed by a gynecologist. A woman is prescribed up to 4 acupuncture courses (12 sessions each).
- Physiotherapy. The patient may be assigned to magnetic therapy, radon baths, electrophoresis.
- Hirudotherapy. Treatment with leeches can also help with endometriosis, as the products secreted by these organisms eliminate pain well and reduce inflammation.
Endometriosis and its symptoms
With endometriosis, the tissues can grow both slightly and quite noticeably. Depending on the volume of formations depends on the severity of symptoms. In some cases, endometriosis is asymptomatic, in others there are noticeable signs that cause a lot of anxiety. The most typical signals for endometriosis are as follows:
- abdominal pain. Usually they are periodic, increasing during menstruation. With focal endometriosis, pain can appear not only in the abdomen, but also in other parts of the body. For example, to give the perineum, the rectum, the lower back can hurt,
- unpleasant feelings during sex. They can be felt both during sexual intercourse, and within two to three hours after it. Sometimes because of this, you have to give up sex life,
- spotting is predominantly chocolate in color before menstruation,
- vomiting, nausea, diarrhea - during menstruation,
- irritability increases, the woman becomes nervous, often feels tired and hardly copes with her daily duties. It is directly related to chronic pelvic pain,
- often painful menstruation signals a disease - it is worth paying attention to it.
You should not make yourself a diagnosis yourself: the symptoms listed above in some cases indicate other sores. You should immediately consult a doctor. Because in the absence of therapy, the disease can produce complications that are very life-threatening.
Why endometriosis develops at this age
When there are disorders of the hormonal background and the immune system - this leads to the development of endometriosis before menopause, the onset of symptoms and the need for treatment. In such a situation, the hormone production scales significantly deviate towards estrogen, and progesterone is produced less than necessary.
Estrogens in large quantities, usually produced during preparatory processes in the uterus for making an egg, cause the endometrium to grow strongly beyond its normal range. And progesterone, together with the pituitary hormones, should stop this process at the right time (after maturation of the endometrium and egg). Due to its deficiency, the tissues expand greatly, and the endometrium, tearing away, causes heavy bleeding.
And what about immunity? Of course, he is important. After all, with his good work, the endometrium should be removed from the body completely. In the event of a failure on the walls of other organs, endometrial tissue can also settle down. And when the next period of rejection begins, the endometrium begins to emerge not only from the uterus, but also from the islets on other organs. Sex hormones act on the endometrium in such a way that it expands, then rejects. And if not working properly, the immune system cannot distinguish where the excess endometrium is located, and is helpless in dealing with it. So, for a minimum period of time, many foci with pathological proliferation of endometrial tissue can occur.
On the Internet there is a lot of information about endometriosis in menopause, its symptoms and treatment.
I would like to pay special attention to the fact that with the cessation of menstruation (it is their absence that indicates a certain period of time that the menopause period has come), the production of sex hormones stops. Together with them, the endometrial layer ceases to grow.
So, in postmenopausal hormone levels remain stably low, so an elderly woman cannot suffer from endometriosis during menopause.
Treatment Options and Prevention
The doctor chooses the drugs and the way to cure the disease, based on the data of the diagnosis. Acceptable options today are a conservative method and surgical intervention. Which method to choose depends on the severity of the disease, localization, size and number of endometriotic lesions, as well as on the individual characteristics of the patient's body. The choice is complicated by the fact that the failure of the hormonal background is accompanied by an approaching menopause, and often, along with endometriosis, there are additional pathologies of women's health.
Reliable preventive measures against endometriosis does not exist. However, there are ways to reduce the likelihood of developing pathology to a minimum:
- rejection of bad habits. Over the years, the body is increasingly difficult to cope with the negative effects of nicotine and alcohol, as a result of which various ailments can develop, including endometriosis,
- active lifestyle: a woman should walk more often, go outdoors, do exercises,
- proper nutrition
- regular visits to the gynecologist, especially after 35 years.
And it is also important not to conduct independent experiments with hormonal drugs. In particular, you can not take birth control pills without prior medical examination. This is especially true of women who have a predisposition to the development of endometriosis.
Endometriosis after 40 years is quite common. With timely treatment, it is possible to avoid the unpleasant consequences of pathology. It is important to be attentive to your health and regularly visit a gynecologist for preventive examinations and take the recommended medications. If in the early stages of the onset of the disease the symptoms disappear quickly, then in advanced cases the therapy can last for several years and endometriosis will disappear only with climax.