The fact that after forty years, many women are confronted with insomnia is not surprising: at this age hormones are rearranged in the body, and one of them, melatonin, is produced less than before. But it is he who ensures that deep and prolonged sleep, which we sometimes lack so much.
Not for nothing informally melatonin is called sleep hormone.
Of course, every one of us faced a lack of sleep at least once in our lives, and nothing, everyone is alive and well. However, insomnia during menopause is dangerous because it is no longer an episodic case, but a chronic condition.
And as shown by a study by scientists from the Chinese Medical University, a person suffering from constant sleep deprivation has an increased risk of developing a heart attack or stroke. Especially during the hormonal changes, when the body is already shaken.
Therefore, it is important to adjust your sleep mode as soon as possible. Here are some key ways that will help you with this.
Chronic insomnia can be a symptom of not only menopause, but also other diseases such as depression, cardiovascular diseases, and diabetes. If you have been suffering at night for more than one week, consult a doctor, otherwise you will have to treat no longer insomnia, but more serious pathologies.
This method has long been used as an effective remedy for insomnia. The main thing is to know which oils to use for this, because some may not calm, but, on the contrary, arouse the nervous system.
The aroma of English lavender is best for you: it has a particularly soothing effect from all the essential oils. Chamomile and ylang-ylang aromas hovering in the air will also help to fall asleep.
Women generally have a stronger effect on essential oils because they have a more developed sense of smell.
Put herbal bags under the pillow or put a few drops of essential oil on the handkerchief. You can also add Miro to the bath before going to bed - the home spa relaxes just as well as the salon wisdoms.
And for sleep, choose pajamas or nightgown from natural fabrics. The most preferred of them - flax or cotton.
If you are one of those who wondered “what to do for insomnia,” try a light, relaxing meditation. It slows down breathing and reduces the level of stress hormone. As a result, sleep time increases, and the number of awakenings in the middle of the night decreases.
To improve sleep, you can also use visualization, it is not less productive than meditation, only, unlike it, it does not involve the human respiratory system, but the brain. Imagine yourself on a tropical island, inhale the scent of flowers, feel goosebumps due to the morning breeze ... The more likely your visualization is, the more feelings you involve in it, the sooner the dream will come.
The first thing that comes to mind for many women when menopause occurs is hormone replacement therapy. However, in reality this is not the best option. Resort to the "heavy artillery" is already in a pinch.
The fact is that many studies have linked the long-term use of such drugs with an increased risk of heart attacks, strokes, blood clots and breast cancer.
Therefore, it is better to take natural remedies whenever possible, rather than synthetic ones. They can help no worse than any sleeping pills, while the side effects will be minimal.
For example, non-hormonal menopause is designed specifically to help women more easily survive the severe symptoms of menopause without resorting to potent drugs. "Climax" eliminates various psycho-emotional and neuro-vegetative manifestations, including sleep disorders.
Sometimes, in case of severe insomnia, melatonin supplements are prescribed, but for this the patient has to undergo serious research to make sure that the problem is caused by a decrease in the level of this hormone, and not by other reasons.
What causes sleep disturbance
Sleep disturbance in menopause is a problem that every third woman faces. The causes of the problem with menopause are divided into two types - psychological, hormonal. The psychological factor is excessive anxiety of a woman because of changes in her body. Increased anxiety can develop into a depressed state. Bad sleep occurs on the background of emotional instability.
To correct the problem, a visit to a psychotherapist is necessary, which will help to normalize the emotional state of a woman
There are cases when hormonal changes in the female body become the cause of the problem. This occurs at a time when the body begins to produce less progesterone with estrogen, which are responsible for many important bodily functions, including reproductive. Estrogen is involved in the synthesis of melatonin (sleep hormone), necessary for a good rest at night. During menopause, the amount of this substance is reduced to critically low rates.
There are other factors that influence the onset of insomnia:
- passive lifestyle, not enough exercise,
- abuse of bad habits (tobacco, alcohol),
- excessive use of caffeine, energy drinks,
- not enough time for a good night’s rest.
Why you need to get rid of the problem
Insomnia with menopause is regular or episodic. If insomnia disturbs a woman for seven days, she must always consult a doctor to provide adequate, timely treatment. It is important to remember that it is impossible to ignore such a problem as insomnia - sleep is responsible for many restorative processes in the body.
There is a problem to ignore, possibly the development of adverse diseases in the form of:
- inflammation of the pancreas,
- depressive, nervous states, personality change is possible,
- diseases of the cardiovascular system
- hormonal disorders due to unstable work of the endocrine system, the development of cancer is possible.
If you experience insomnia, you should immediately contact a specialist, because only he can determine the cause of its occurrence and prescribe adequate methods of therapy.
How to treat
Treatment of insomnia takes place in the form of complex therapy. The specialist selects medications that must be supplemented with the correct daily regimen, nutrition, exercise.
Vegetables, fruits, whole grains, low-fat varieties of fish and meat should definitely be included in the diet of a woman. Alcohol and caffeinated beverages are excluded on a mandatory basis. You should stop eating spicy, fatty foods, and drink a glass of hot milk before going to bed. For women suffering from intolerance to dairy products, strong tea with honey is great.
Physical activity is a mandatory form of therapy that promotes rapid recovery. Sports exercises will help to get rid of extra pounds of energy. Even an ordinary walk on the street helps to calm and quickly fall asleep. For recovery, you need to spend only 20 minutes of time for a walk - in the morning after waking up or several hours before bedtime.
For a restful sleep, you must take a relaxing bath, drink a hot drink, turn on pleasant music - give the brain the opportunity to relax.
If complex methods do not help, you should consult with your doctor so that he prescribed the necessary medicines. It is not recommended to select medications yourself, so as not to aggravate the already existing problem.
Folk recipes for insomnia with menopause are quite popular and have been used by healers for a long time.
To fight insomnia with menopause, you can use these simple recipes:
- Mix a glass of lemon juice with two tbsp. l honey, chopped walnuts. Take the composition before bedtime.
- Mix a glass of water with a spoon of bran and a spoon of honey. Use the product for a month for 30 minutes before going to bed.
- 3 tsp. honey combine with a glass of warm water. Consume before bedtime.
- Combine in equal proportions (20 g each) mint, watch, valerian, pour boiling water over the herbs, leave for half an hour. Take 1 glass twice a day.
- Combine chamomile, mint, fennel, valerian, cumin in equal proportions. Pour the herbs with boiling water, bring to a boil, insist 15 minutes. Drink twice a day.
- Connect 2 tbsp. l hawthorn with 0.5 liters of boiling water. Consume before meals.
- Pour a glass of boiling water 2 tsp. oregano, insist 20 minutes. Drink 0.5 glass 30 minutes before meals. If necessary, you can rinse your head with a strong decoction of oregano.
- Connect 1 cup boiling water with 2 tbsp. l lemon balm, insist 30 minutes. Consume hot before bedtime.
Folk recipes can be used as an additional means of complex therapy. Before use, it is necessary to consult with a specialist to avoid the likelihood of side effects.
The lack of proper sleep makes a woman irritable. Loss of attentiveness, ability to concentrate. Constantly accumulating fatigue can trigger a general deterioration of the body. Metabolic processes are gradually disturbed, and diseases of the endocrine system can develop. Drowsiness, weakness and apathy worsen the quality of life. Independently eliminate such symptoms in menopause is not worth it.
It is necessary to seek help from a specialist. He will select the necessary drugs, prescribe the dosage.
It is impossible to exceed the dosage specified by the doctor, it is impossible to change the drugs on your own, this can aggravate the condition and harm the woman.
The specialist selects sedatives that help balance the psycho-emotional state of the woman. Most often it is:
- Motherwort tincture.
- Novo Passit.
Treat insomnia using healthy herbal teas with lemon balm and chamomile. If a patient has insomnia caused depressive state, a specialist may prescribe antidepressants, sleeping pills. Independently select for themselves such funds is strictly prohibited. They should be applied in the same quantity and duration as prescribed by the doctor.
In order to normalize the hormones, hormone replacement therapy is prescribed. Estrogen analogues are prescribed, combined oral contraceptives. The drug can ease the climacteric period, reduce the number of tides. Timely prescribed therapy can improve the general condition of the woman, insomnia disappears.
The selection of medications is done based on how severe the symptoms are, how old the patient is, and what state the reproductive system organs are in. In some cases, instead of hormonal drugs during menopause, a specialist prescribes phytoestrogens. They are made from plant extracts. The composition of drugs estrogenic properties that help eliminate the unpleasant symptoms of menopause, insomnia.
In some cases, a woman may experience inflammatory processes in the bladder. The urge to the toilet become frequent, painful. To eliminate the problem, the specialist prescribes antibacterial, anesthetic, diuretic drugs.
Another problem that arises during menopause is an increase in blood pressure.
Self-select drugs is strictly prohibited.
This should be done by a cardiologist, a therapist after the examination. Women are prescribed sedatives, drugs that reduce blood pressure.
Climacteric period in combination with insomnia causes discomfort in a woman’s life. The lack of proper rest at night immediately affects the quality of life and work, and their well-being deteriorates. A woman may notice that from time to time there are problems with memory, decreased brain activity, there is a feeling of fatigue.
To overcome insomnia and improve well-being, to return the joy of life can only be comprehensive. Experts have a few tips on how to improve sleep and normalize the overall condition of the body.
- Proper nutrition. During menopause, a woman should pay enough attention to nutrition. You need to eat in small portions 5-6 times during the day. It is necessary to exclude heavy foods, with an emphasis on vegetables, lean meat, fish, cereals, dairy products. Under the ban to be strong coffee, tea. It is necessary to limit the amount of spices, salt to a possible minimum. The use of healthy products will favorably affect the state of the body, the work of the gastrointestinal tract. You need to have dinner no later than 21:00, having prepared a light dish that will not burden the body.
- To improve your condition you should give up bad habits. Smoking and alcohol are incompatible with the concept of a healthy lifestyle. While hormonal changes occur, these factors will aggravate the condition, so you need to get rid of them completely.
- Stress and overwork will not allow to get rid of insomnia, you need to try to keep calm. Experiences provoke the production of cortisol. This hormone inhibits the production of estrogen. As a result, the woman feels an increase in the symptoms of menopause, disturbances in the work of the nervous system are traced, and tides occur quite often.
- To improve sleep, be sure to enter physical activity. During sports, active recreation improves the work of the nervous, endocrine system. It also accelerates metabolic processes, it does not allow a woman to gain weight.
- In the evening, you need to air the room, choose bedding from natural materials. The optimal temperature of the room is 20-22 degrees. Sleeping in such a room will be comfortable, and the likelihood of increased perspiration, which often causes a woman to wake up, is also reduced.
If you enter these simple rules into your life, then the unpleasant symptoms of menopause significantly decrease. A woman will forget about insomnia, frequent flushes, irritability.
To get rid of insomnia during menopause, you need to approach the problem comprehensively. A woman should lead an active lifestyle, eat right and give up bad habits. Supporting this with medications, she can improve the condition of the body, forgetting about the unpleasant symptoms of menopause.
Causes of Insomnia in Menopause
According to statistics, about 40% of women experience insomnia with menopause. This deviation has two main causes, namely:
1. Psychological. Changes in appearance and worsening of general well-being make a woman nervous. She feels anxiety, and listening to herself, notices various failures in the body, which of course causes a feeling of fear. Anxiety does not let you sleep, bad dreams appear, a woman cannot sleep for a long time thinking about her health and worrying about the changes that are happening to her.
2. Physiological. Estrogen deficiency provokes hot flashes. This condition is accompanied by palpitations, increased sweating, chills and fear. During the night, a woman may not feel the attack itself, but wakes up from wet clothes and feelings of fear. After the tide is difficult to fall asleep.
Important! Sleep disorders in menopause must be treated, because lack of rest negatively affects the brain, depletes the vegetative system and undermines health.
Many patients do not immediately recognize the symptoms of deviation, because at first glance they normally fall asleep, and some even sleep normally all night, but they are haunted by a feeling of constant fatigue, depression and apathy develop. The fact is that there are several forms of insomnia, each of which is dangerous to health and requires a specific directional treatment. Consider the forms and symptoms of the disease:
- Presromnic. This syndrome is characterized by prolonged sleep. The patient cannot fall asleep, tosses, incoherent thoughts and anxiety swarm around her head. Usually with this type of sleep it turns out already closer to dawn.
- Intrasomnic. Violation manifests itself in frequent waking in the middle of the night. At the same time, the woman normally falls asleep in the evening, but after nightly awakenings she can not sleep well. Rest at the same time superficial not bringing relief and cheerfulness.
- Postsomnicheskaya. With such a course of deviation, the lady wakes up early in the morning, before dawn. In this case, the woman does not feel rested, she is haunted by a feeling of fatigue despite enough rest time.
Each of these forms leads to a depletion of the nervous system and significantly reduces the quality of life. However, failure can occur not only due to the extinction of the childbearing function, common causes of insomnia are comorbidities, such as:
- Emotional stress,
- Taking some medications
- Endocrine diseases
- Airway pathologies,
- Diseases of the digestive tract,
- Skin diseases
- Cardiovascular diseases, etc.
To identify the causes of deviation should consult a doctor and undergo a full examination. Only after that the doctor will be able to prescribe adequate treatment, which will help to cope with chronic sleep deprivation.
Insomnia with menopause - what to do?
Doctors strongly recommend starting the fight with insomnia at its first manifestations. But how to deal with insomnia in menopause, this question is often asked by patients and not many of them know that you can normalize sleep without resorting to serious medicines and medicinal herbs. First of all, you should review your lifestyle. To sleep soundly, you need to urgently take the following measures:
- Eat right. Avoid spicy and fatty foods. Do not load the stomach before bedtime. As much as possible seasonal fruits, vegetables and berries should be added to the diet. Vitamins from these products will put in order the vegetative system, and fiber will help to establish the work of the intestine and relieve the heaviness in the stomach. At night, it is not recommended to drink plenty of fluids. A glass of water drunk before bedtime will wake up at night, and later it will be difficult to sleep.
- If you have insomnia with menopause, you should take care of comfort. The bedroom should be well ventilated. In warm weather, it is advisable to sleep with the window open; in the winter months, you can open the window. The optimum temperature in the bedroom is 16-18 degrees, and also monitor the humidity indicators. During this period, you should abandon the synthetic and bright bed linen, clothing should also be calm colors and natural materials.
- Doing sports and walking. For a good night's rest during the day, you need to give your body a load. Physical activity helps to strengthen muscle fibers, removes excess fluid from the body and normalizes the nervous system. Elementary morning exercises and doing everyday household chores will help you sleep at night. Also, before going to bed, slow walks are recommended, preferably in a park where the air is fresh and saturated with oxygen.
- Treatment of insomnia in menopause is impossible without relaxing and gaining positive emotions. Learn to relax, take a warm bath with fragrant foam before bedtime, turn on pleasant music, meditate or watch your favorite movie.
- Have sex regularly. Insomnia with menopause is not a reason to refuse sex life. On the contrary, regular sex helps level out hormonal levels, improve mood, relieve anxiety and reduce the number of hot flashes. In addition, it has been proven that women who continue sexually active in adulthood are less likely to experience heart disease, endocrine disorders, and impaired brain function.
Interesting! The problems of night rest are much less common for women who continue to work in menopause.
Insomnia, as a clinical symptom can not be regarded as an independent disease, and before taking any means to sleep you need to consult with your doctor. In the early stages of insomnia with menopause, it is recommended to cope with folk remedies.
Causes of Insomnia in Menopausal Women
Climax - a transition, even a turning point in the life of a woman. But the causes of insomnia lie not in age, but in hormonal changes occurring in the body.
During menopause, there is a gradual decrease in the level of estrogen, which leads to the cessation of ovulation and the extinction of the reproductive function. Such a restructuring has a powerful effect on the entire body. And since the psycho-emotional state of a woman directly depends on the balance of hormones, it suffers first and foremost.
Insomnia, mood swings, sudden flushes of heat, irritability and temper, alternating with depression or apathy - this is the shortest list of unpleasant symptoms associated with menopause. Such manifestations can and should be fought.
What to do with insomnia with menopause, what drugs to take, and what folk remedies to use? Next, we consider a list of the most effective recipes that will help a woman get rid of an unpleasant symptom.
Elimination of the cause is the best treatment.
Before you start taking medications that have a hypnotic effect, a woman should contact her gynecologist and tell her about the ailment that is disturbing her. You can try to eliminate insomnia during menopause in another way - through hormone replacement therapy (HRT) or using drugs based on herbal ingredients.
For a more or less pronounced stabilization of hormonal levels with the subsequent normalization of night sleep, doctors can prescribe completely different hormonal preparations. However, they can cause a number of side effects, so not all women are suitable for them.
That is why preference is often given to medicines containing phytoestrogens in their composition. These are natural substances that are as close as possible in their chemical structure to natural estrogens produced by ovarian cells. Moreover, these are not hormones, therefore, they are much less likely to cause unwanted reactions from the body.
But if such treatment does not help, and insomnia with menopause worries a woman more and more, you still have to resort to the use of sleeping pills. And since most of them are available by prescription, and have a strong effect on the body, the patient should choose the best tool with his doctor.
Review of medications for insomnia
Immediately, we note that pharmaceuticals for insomnia with menopause, with uncontrolled or incorrect administration, can cause a number of side effects. Therefore, their use should be carried out with caution, especially during self-treatment.
Below is a brief overview of drugs with hypnotic and sedative effects. They can vary in composition and form of release, therefore, have different contraindications to the appointment, side effects and features of the reception.
One of the most popular and effective sedatives and hypnotic drugs, with which you can combat insomnia during menopause in women, is Barboval.
Contains the active substance phenobarbital, and is released in the form of drops or tablets for oral administration. It is prescribed for mood swings, causeless irritation, insomnia (including menopause), tachycardia. Taking the drug is prohibited in case of individual intolerance to its components, bradycardia, renal or hepatic failure, severe arterial hypotension, obstructive syndrome, etc.
Important! Barboval is strictly contraindicated for the treatment of insomnia and mood swings, if the period of menopause in women is accompanied by depressive states. It does not matter how deep and protracted depression is.
The drug is usually taken in a dose of 10 to 15 drops (or a tablet) 2 to 3 times a day. Since the drops have a specific smell and taste, they are recommended to be taken together with a piece of sugar, or a small amount of water. The course of treatment can last no more than 2 weeks.
Somnol is a hypnotic and sedative medication containing the active ingredient zopiclone. Available in the form of tablets for oral administration. It is prescribed for prolonged and severe insomnia.
You can not take pills to combat sleep disorders in menopause in the event that there is a hypersensitivity to zopiclone, respiratory failure, sleep apnea, severe or chronic phase of liver failure, myasthenia gravis.
To get rid of insomnia during menopause, Somnol is recommended to take in a dose of 7.5 mg, which is 1 tablet per day. You need to take the medicine right before bedtime.
The duration of the treatment of insomnia Somnolum is 2 - 3 weeks. But since this symptom may manifest more intensively with menopause, the course of therapy may be prolonged.
Prescribing medication, determining the dose and duration of pills is carried out only by a neurologist. Somnol is a potent drug that can cause a number of side effects, and overdosing them can lead to serious consequences.
Sleeping pills drug Sondoks is made on the basis of the active ingredient doxylamine succinate. The drug is indicated for the treatment of periodic or transient insomnia in different categories of patients, including women during menopause.
Contraindications to the appointment of the drug include hypersensitivity to its components, angle-closure glaucoma. Caution should be taken pills for women suffering from impaired respiratory function.
The initial dosage of Sondex is 7.5 mg per day, which is half the tablet. If this dose does not help eliminate insomnia, then double it, bringing it to 1 tablet per day. Taking the medication is carried out immediately before going to bed. The duration of therapy may be a maximum of 5 days. With its ineffectiveness, the woman should seek further advice from the attending physician.
Peony is a truly miraculous plant that is used in many areas of medicine. Neurology and gynecology are no exception.
Tincture of this plant is especially necessary for women with menopause, because under the influence of this herb normalizes sleep, stabilizes the psycho-emotional state, improves the endocrine system. Moreover, the peony has a beneficial effect on the balance of hormones, preventing hot flashes and hormonal surges.
But it should be remembered that this plant is poisonous, so it is extremely important to strictly adhere to the dosage of alcohol extract. It is 30 drops per day.
The drug is taken after meals, preferably before bedtime. You can continue insomnia treatment during menopause with a peony tincture for no longer than a month, after which you need to take a ten-day break, and then, if necessary, start taking the medicine again.
Herbal collection for the normalization of sleep during menopause
It is very useful to make different herbal extracts from several types of medicinal plants. They are much more effective in helping to fight sleep disorders, irritability and other unpleasant symptoms that disturb women during menopause. The recipe for one of these drugs is given below.
It is necessary to mix in equal proportions the leaves of lemon balm, peppermint and chamomile flowers. A tablespoon of the mixture pour a glass of boiling water, then insist for half an hour under the lid. The result is not even an infusion, but a fragrant and tasty tea that you need to drink in one dose, after having thoroughly filtered it. You can drink this drink twice a day - in the morning and in the evening.
A very useful is the combination of folk remedies or hypnotic drugs, medications with aromatherapy, meditation, massage, relaxing baths. You can do such procedures every day, alternating between them. So to deal with insomnia and irritation during menopause will be much easier.