Pain in the liver implies pain in the peritoneum and glisson capsule that covers this organ. The liver itself does not cause pain, as there are no pain receptors in it, a large number of them are located in the fascia, that is, the connective tissue of the capsule. This means that pain in the liver can occur only in two cases - due to the increase of this organ and the tension of the capsule walls, as well as inflammation of the bile ducts or the gallbladder.
What is the mechanism of pain?
The pain develops with the onset of the pathological processes in the hepatic parenchyma that occur. flow is hidden without symptoms. Then, inflammation of the peritoneal cover occurs with an increase in liver volume. Gradually, hepatomegaly develops with stretching of the walls of the glisson capsule and pain appears.
When the pain becomes more intense, the wall of the capsule, located in the right hypochondrium, is increasingly stretched. The reasons for its development can also be external pressure on the capsule and peritoneum, which exert the gallbladder and ducts. In some cases, the painful sensations are caused by inflammation of the appendix or intercostal neuralgia. There are various causes of painful symptoms in the right hypochondrium, their nature may be organic or functional.
Causes of pain
When the liver hurts, to functional it causes include:
- Overstress during intense physical exertion.
- Chronic or acute stress.
- The load when eating fatty or heavy foods.
- Intoxication caused by medications.
- Organic causes of liver pain include:
- Primary biliary, autoimmune or alcoholic cirrhosis.
- Steatosis of the organ, in which there is a fatty transformation of liver cells.
- Hepatitis in chronic or acute form.
- Tumors are benign or malignant.
- Wilson's disease in which the exchange of copper is disturbed.
- Gilbert's syndrome. Genetic disease - pigmented hepatosis.
- Causes of pain in the liver can also be liver colic or diabetes.
Exposure to other organs
Causes of discomfort can be diseases of other organsthat irritate or act mechanically:
- Cholecystitis in acute or chronic form.
- Right-sided lower lobe pneumonia.
- Irritable bowel.
When the liver hurts, it may turn out that it is incorrectly interpreted together with a general pain in the abdomen. In this case, the pain in the organ can arise from the influence on it from the intestine, diseases of the pancreas, biliary stones.
Painful sensations that occur in the body are not always associated with the liver itself. As a rule, this is a signatology in the hepatobiliary system generally. Diseases for which the characteristic symptoms are painful sensations in the right hypochondrium are viral hepatitis, both acute and chronic. Inflammatory pathologies, diseases of a parasitic nature, and tumors are slightly less commonly diagnosed. This state of affairs means that the liver has a high capacity for regeneration. Due to this peculiarity, the body can resist various diseases for a long time, this happens until its resource is exhausted.
When does the liver hurt? The presence of the liver is felt in such diseases:
- Hepatitis, which are associated with infectious diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, lungs, heart.
- Viral hepatitis in acute and chronic form.
- Mononucleosis with infection is a viral pathology that affects the lymph nodes.
- Acute infectious disease leptospirosis.
- Hepatitis due to the herpes virus.
- Yellow fever. This is a hemorrhagic disease that has developed on an infectious basis.
- Hepatitis enterovirus.
- Hepatitis caused by cytomegalovirus.
- Hepatitis caused by cocci bacteria.
- Legionellosis. It is a severe degree of infectious pneumonia with hepatomegaly.
- Hepatitis autoimmune.
- Liver cirrhosis based on any etiology.
- Steatosis is a fatty degeneration of the liver.
- Acute or chronic sclerosing cholangitis.
- Hemochromatosis is a hereditary pigmentary pathology, cirrhosis.
- Various tumors.
- Abscesses of the organ, in particular, of a parasitic nature.
- Dyskinesia of the bile ducts.
- Cholecystitis acute and chronic.
Emerging pain in the liver in diseases do not have specific features. Different types of pain, namely, pulling or sharp, may indicate a large list of diseases. Therefore, when it occurs, you should immediately consult a doctor who can differentiate the symptoms and make a correct diagnosis.
The pain in the right hypochondrium can have a different character. It can be permanent, aching, increasing during physical exertion, while running, after taking non-dietary food.
Therefore, the symptoms of pain in the liver can be different, they can manifest as:
In the hypochondrium appear pulling, dull pains.
- The pain is localized on the right, but gives in the back.
- Itching that appears in the abdominal region, as well as throughout the body.
- Belching with the smell of a rotten egg.
- Tint with yellowness on the skin and whites of the eyes.
- There is apathy and general weakness.
- There is pain in the muscles, especially in the back and legs.
- Nausea appears.
The symptoms are different in that can change the intensity. It comes from exercise or diet changes. It should be remembered that aching and dull pains are characteristic of an acute process, because in the chronic form of the disease the liver usually does not hurt. The main danger lies in the asymptomatic pathology of the organ, because without timely diagnosis and treatment, chronic hepatitis can develop into fatty dystrophy, cirrhosis, and even cause liver cancer.
When the liver hurts, often painful symptoms indicate diseases of the adjacent organ - the gallbladder. Biliary colic can be mistaken for liver disease, and illiterate treatment, as a rule, self-treatment can lead to rupture of the bladder. Moreover, analgesia with antispasmodics complicates diagnostic procedures and triggers diseases in the biliary tract.
When diagnosing a disease, the transfer of discomfort to other areas of the body is important. You can often observe the irradiation of pain in the right side of the back, shoulder blade, neck.
Often, symptoms can be associated with the appearance of heartburn, nausea, vomiting, bitter mouth, belching, bad breath, abdominal distention, abnormal stool, which causes constipation or diarrhea.
If the disease is complicated or aggravated, other organs are involved in the pathological process, then symptoms such as lethargy, pruritus, fever, jaundice, fatigue may occur. There may also be headaches and syncope, impotence and irregular menstruation, hemorrhages on the skin.
Symptoms that require Immediate Emergency Care:
- In the right side of the hypochondrium there was a sharp pain.
- Frequent vomiting of bile.
- Yellow eyes and skin.
- The appearance of spider veins on the face, shoulder, abdomen, chest.
- Hyperthermia, which is combined with a symptom of pain in the liver.
When it hurts a lot
Hepatitis usually does not cause these pains, most likely severe pains are associated with biliary colic, which produces muscle spasm of the gallbladder or duct. Probably, stone blockage occurred. The pain is vividly specific and is manifested by an attack, in which its wave suddenly begins, and passes gradually. As a rule, the patient is very irritated before colic, often feels nauseous and uncomfortable "under the spoon". Symptoms are localized in the right hypochondrium, sometimes in the middle, moving to the right shoulder, between the shoulder blades. They lead to disability, fever, vomiting. Colic is able to torment a person for a whole day.
Painful process can be a sign of cancer or infectious mononucleosis. It can also indicate a break of a parasitic cyst, an abscess, an attack of acute pancreatitis, a pathological change in the right kidney and appendicitis.
The liver hurts badly
Symptoms appear as a result of biliary excretory dyskinesia. This disease has two types, it can develop hypotonic or hypertonic type. The pain occurs during hypertensive dyskinesia, due to the fact that the gallbladder shrinks intensively, and the bile stagnates. This violation causes inflammatory process and leads to the formation of stones. Symptoms of a developed inflammatory process are manifested by vegetative neurosis and a violation of the act of defecation. At the same time there are constipations alternating with diarrhea, the patient begins to feel nauseated, there is a general pain, which gives to the right collarbone, shoulder and shoulder blade.
Acute symptoms are a sign of gallstone disease and colic. Hepatic colic can occur on the occasion of the consumption of fatty or spicy foods, it can be provoked by stress, physical overstrain, work in the pose of tilt, as well as vibration when traveling. In women, hepatic colic occurs along with menstrual pain or the postpartum period. Before the attack appears feeling of heaviness in the side, nausea. Acute pain, as a rule, comes in a period of rest, it wakes up a person and gives to the right upper body, even under the jaw. The pain of a spastic nature, often accompanied by vomiting, fever.
A symptom of acute pain indicating an attack of malaria is an inflamed liver with a strongly stretched fibrous capsule, with an enlarged spleen. It increases if the fever lasts a long time. But, fortunately, this disease occurs infrequently.
In case of pain in the liver, you should immediately consult a qualified doctor for advice. After diagnostic procedures, in particular, the delivery of certain tests and other methods of research, he will make an accurate diagnosis and prescribe an effective treatment.
Causes Of Liver Sore
1. Pain in the liver after eating. Such pain appears after eating spicy, fried, smoked, fatty foods, canned foods in large quantities. Pain does not occur immediately after eating food, but after one or two hours of its presence in the stomach. One-time occurrence of pain and their termination after some time should not cause concern. Repeated pain or accompanied by other symptoms require examination for the presence of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
2. Pain in the liver when moving. Such pain usually occurs when walking fast or running. Characteristic of pain: stabbing, sharp and quickly passing. The reason for its appearance in the rapid enhancement of blood circulation in the extremities, while the blood, bypassing the diaphragm, accumulates directly in the muscles of the legs. Accordingly, the lack of blood supply to the diaphragm causes its spasm and pain. Prevention of such pain is to eat food no later than two hours before exercise, as well as to conduct a physical workout. Sometimes pain in the liver occurs with a slight load or does not pass for a long time, then you should definitely consult a doctor. This may indicate the appearance of inflammatory processes in the liver or gallbladder or a disease of the musculoskeletal system.
3. Pain in the liver during breathing. Deep breathing and a change in the position of the body, when a small nerve is clamped, causes pain in the liver. With this condition, the pain is sharp, fast passing.
4. Pain in the liver during menstruation. This pain appears in more than half of women. Painful sensations appear in the lower abdomen, on the right. Characterized as pulling, cutting, like fights. Rarely, pains are accompanied by a rise in body temperature of up to 37 °, sweating, thirst, general weakness and indigestion.
Diseases causing pain in the liver
If we conditionally divide the right hypochondrium into three parts: the upper (directly right hypochondrium), middle (region below the projection of the liver) and lower (iliac region), then the talk about the causes of a particular pathology with a certain localization of pain will be more substantive. In part, we will address issues related to the localization of pain in the back (right lumbar region).
Abdominal and chest organs that can be sources of pain in the liver area: right lung, gallbladder, pancreas, liver, intestines, and diaphragm. Moving pains (irradiation) to this place happens with diseases of the heart, spine and pelvic organs.
1. Diseases of the gallbladder. Acute cholecystitis (inflammation of the mucous membrane of the gallbladder) always causes acute, sharp, cramping pains in the right hypochondrium, which radiate to the back and spine. Other symptoms of acute cholecystitis include abdominal distension, constipation, nausea, vomiting, fever, general weakness and malaise. The clinical picture of the exacerbation of chronic cholecystitis is characteristic of such in the development of the acute form of the disease.
2. Gallstone disease. This disease, the main cause of which is the formation of gallstones in the gallbladder. Symptoms of the disease correspond to the cause of the development of pathology. The pains in cholelithiasis are strong, localized in the right hypochondrium and in the back, aggravated by moving the stones. A weak function of emulsification of fats, due to a violation of the outflow of bile, leads to the appearance of dyspeptic disorders. To the development of this pathology may be added urticaria (allergic mechanism, the effect of toxins of undigested food), eczema (reflex mechanism) and skin itch (effect of toxins on the skin).
3. Biliary dyskinesia. This pathology is associated with a systemic disorder of the biliary organs, resulting in the development of chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (gastritis, pancreatitis, etc.). Biliary dyskinesia can be caused by eating disorders, the presence of helminthic invasions and the effects of abdominal injuries. The hyperkinetic form of this disorder is characterized by the over-activity of the contractile function of the smooth muscles of the gallbladder walls, which leads to the appearance of sharp pains in the right hypochondrium. The hypokinetic form of dyskinesia is characterized by a weak contraction of the gallbladder, which is accompanied by prolonged dull pains of arching or oppressive nature.
4. Pathology of the pancreas. Pain in the liver occurs with the defeat of the head section of the pancreas, in other cases, pain occurs in the left hypochondrium. The second cause of pain in this location is a benign or malignant tumor of the pancreas, which stretches the capsule of the gland and thereby causes pain. When pains appear in the area of the projection of the liver, then it should be assumed about the development of the process of squeezing the growing tumor of the organs located near the gland.
5. Acute pancreatitis. Acute inflammation of the pancreatic tissue results in sharp or throbbing pains in the right hypochondrium, which are often given to the back and left hypochondrium (described as enclosing pains). Symptoms that accompany the development of the inflammatory process of the pancreas: diarrhea, belching, flatulence, malaise, weakness, loss of appetite and sleep, fever up to 38 ° and high blood pressure.
6. Pathology of the liver. Hepatitis (inflammation of the liver tissue) and cirrhosis of the liver (fatty degeneration of the liver tissue) can be the cause of pain localized in the right hypochondrium (the projection area of the liver). In patients with liver pathology, jaundice (yellowing of the skin and sclera), darkening of the urine, lightening feces, fever, weakness and malaise are observed. Patients with hepatitis and cirrhosis feel heavy in the right side, as the liver increases in size due to its blood supply and edema.
7. Appendicitis. The disease known to all is inflammation of the appendix, which is accompanied by sharp cramping pains, with localization in the stomach on the right, in the back (near the spine) and in the right hypochondrium. General symptoms of appendicitis: dry mouth, general malaise, dyspeptic disorders, fever.
8. Pathology of the small intestine. Affects a wide range of diseases of the small intestine and the causes of them. All these diseases have a similar symptom complex, including frequent diarrhea with remnants of undigested food, bloating, pulling, aching, arching pain, with localization in the area to the right of the navel, in the epigastric region and right hypochondrium.
9. Injuries, surgical interventions. The pain in the right hypochondrium can be the result of surgical interventions in this place and injuries of internal organs.Acute pain is a result of not only damage to organs as a result of blows, injuries, but also many diseases.
10. Intercostal neuralgia. The least common cause of pain in the liver is intercostal neuralgia. The pain in this disease is usually dull, aching, rarely acute and sharp. Those suffering from intercostal neuralgia begin to lean on the healthy side, as a result, the intercostal spaces begin to stretch, which leads to irritation of the nerve endings and a decrease in rib pressure on the nerves and a decrease in pain. With this disease there is increased sweating, pain in the muscles, discoloration of the skin.
11. Pathology of the kidneys. Under the ribs, on the side of the back are the kidneys. Pathology of the kidney in the form of inflammatory diseases of the pelvis and organ parenchyma is usually accompanied by aching and dull pain that can be felt in the right hypochondrium. Urolithiasis is associated with the formation of stones in the urinary tract at the level of the kidney. During physical exertion, stones can shift, causing dull or pulling pain in the right side. Acute colic pain in the back tells of a serious complication - closing the urinary duct with a stone.
12. Diseases of the spinal column. Causes of pain in the liver can be diseases of the spine and some physiological conditions of the body. The most common cause of pain in this place is caused by dorsopathy (degenerative-dystrophic pathology of the spinal column and surrounding tissue). There is dorsopathy due to eating disorders, as well as from increased physical exertion and injuries. The disease is characterized by nagging or aching pains in the right side, which are sometimes shooting. In addition, patients feel tingling of the skin. With this pathology there is a weakening and thinning of the muscles of the body. Vertebral protrusion is the second most common cause of pain at the waist level, is a complication of osteochondrosis, and the inner part of the fibrous ring of the vertebra changes. Most often this pathology occurs in the lumbar spine, so the pain is felt from the back at the waist level and below it. Sometimes the pain recurs, there is a tingling in the legs, weakness of the muscles of the thigh, in rare cases - a violation of urination.
13. Cystitis. It is also the cause of pain in the middle of the abdomen, sometimes extending to the region of the liver. The disease is a manifestation of inflammation of the mucous membrane of the bladder. A common cause of cystitis is a bacterial infection, the result of the penetration of pathogenic microorganisms into it through the urinary tract. Cystitis is accompanied by painful urination, sometimes mixed with blood. Pain can be burning, stitching, in the perineum and in the area of the projection of the bladder on the anterior abdominal wall.
14. Pathology of the pelvic organs. Pain in the liver can also occur in diseases of the pelvic organs, abdominal organs and diseases of the urinary tract. In diseases of the pelvic organs, acute, sharp, sudden pain can indicate a rupture or torsion of a section or part of the intestine, or ovary in women, or blockage of urinary or biliary tracts with a stone. The development of symptoms of shock, loss of consciousness, pallor of the skin and a drop in blood pressure, rapid heartbeat indicate intraperitoneal bleeding. Unexplained, constant, aching or dull pain usually accompanies the onset of inflammatory processes, it happens when the blood supply to the organs is disturbed, and when acute diseases of the organs of the abdominal cavity and the pelvis are exacerbated.
First aid for pain in the liver
Whatever the pain in the liver, it requires a quick visit to the doctor.
Emergency medical care is always necessary when acute and severe pain occurs, accompanied by symptoms of indigestion and fever. Extremely dangerous to life and require immediate medical attention such diseases as appendicitis and acute pancreatitis.
If symptoms of these diseases are detected, pain relievers cannot be taken - they can distort the clinical picture, thereby slowing down the diagnosis and urgently needed surgery.
First aid for acute pathology of the abdomen is minimal and does not imply any medical appointments before the arrival of the doctor. Accordingly, first of all, everything must be done so that the specialist can see the patient as soon as possible. It is forbidden to take drugs, you should exclude food and water intake, and you can put cold on your stomach. Patients with acute abdomen are hospitalized in a surgical hospital.
What kind of doctor to contact if your liver hurts
Specialized medical care in the presence of pain in the liver is provided by the following specialists: a gastroenterologist, infectious diseases specialist, urologist, gynecologist, surgeon, general practitioner. All problems with finding the right specialist are solved when contacting any medical institution. In the absence of doctors of narrow specialties, you should contact the therapist.
What could be pain in the liver?
Pain in the liver, as in general, any pain syndrome, divided into acute and chronic. It can be piercing, pulling, aching, disturbing constantly, or occur only at certain points in time.
When pain in the liver can occur such additional symptoms as:
At the doctor’s appointment, the patient should describe his condition as clearly as possible and in detail so that the doctor can correctly diagnose and prescribe treatment.
Intense physical exertion
Many people with prolonged fast walking, while running or other physical activities may experience stitching pains in the liver.
This is due to the fact that the liver is one of the organs, the depot of venous blood in the body. During physical exertion, a large amount of venous blood accumulates in it. This process is most active with improper breathing techniques during sports, when the function of the diaphragm and other respiratory muscles is insufficient.
Due to the fact that the liver is filled with blood, it greatly increases in size, and stretches the capsule covering it, which contains a large number of painful nerve endings.
If a person has eaten well before exercise, and even fatty foods, then stabbing pains in the liver occur faster and are more intense.
What to do if you experience pain in the liver during exercise? It is worth a little rest - the pain syndrome will pass by itself. It is not recommended to take food later than 1 - 2 hours before workouts. And while running you need to follow the correct breathing technique.
Pain in the liver after drinking a lot of alcohol
The hangover syndrome is often accompanied by the appearance of acute pain in the liver. The following factors contribute to the emergence of pain syndrome:
1. It is the liver that is the organ that is primarily responsible for cleansing the blood of toxic substances: it contains the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase. Therefore, after taking large doses of alcoholic beverages on the body are the maximum load, forcing him to work more intensively.
2. There is a toxic damage to the liver cells with ethyl alcohol.
3. If during a feast a large amount of fatty, fried, smoked, spicy food was taken, then the liver experiences additional overloads.
4. Medicines used to treat hangover can also have a detrimental effect on the organ.
Treatment of pain in the liver after alcohol involves the use of so-called hepatoprotectors - drugs that contribute to the regeneration and protection of liver cells.
Sometimes after alcohol develop chronic pain in the liver, which does not pass for a long time. In this case, you need to consult a doctor as soon as possible for consultation and examination.
2. Acute hepatitis B may continue for 7 - 60 days. In this case, pain in the liver may not always and not immediately. At first, there are signs resembling ARD or general chronic fatigue: weakness, fever, lethargy, fatigue. Slow pains in the liver, a feeling of heaviness and discomfort under the right rib gradually appear. The liver increases in size, jaundice appears, dark urine and feces.
3. Acute hepatitis D usually accompanied by hepatitis B. In this disease, liver pain is less pronounced.
4. With acute viral hepatitis E against the background of general weakness, fatigue and malaise, develop severe pain in the liver and above the navel. Sometimes pain syndrome is the first sign of a disease.
In case of pain in the liver caused by acute viral hepatitis, a sparing diet is prescribed, which excludes all types of food that can exert increased loads on the liver: fatty, fried, smoked products, etc. Treatment is prescribed by a doctor, depending on the type of hepatitis.
Chronic course can mainly have viral hepatitis B and C. Pain in the liver can be constantly or periodically disturbed (for example, it can occur only against the background of the ingestion of fatty foods). Often pain syndrome is not clearly defined under the right edge, but has an incomprehensible location. Nausea and vomiting, discomfort and bloating may occur.
At the same time, pain in the liver is accompanied by all the symptoms of hepatitis:
- an increase in the size of the abdomen,
- itchy skin
- general weakness
- increased body temperature
- darkening of the stool and urine.
The cause of pain in the liver and other symptoms in chronic hepatitis is determined by:
- computed tomography
- biochemical analysis of blood,
- detecting virus content in the body.
After that, the doctor prescribes the appropriate treatment.
Sometimes chronic hepatitis occurs without pain in the liver and other symptoms. The patient can feel the first signs of pathology already when the disease enters the stage of cirrhosis.
More about hepatitis
Pain in the liver with cirrhosis
Liver cirrhosis is a serious disease, which is characterized by the restructuring of the entire liver tissue, a violation of its normal function. Liver pain can be caused by various types of cirrhosis:
1. Alcoholic (with chronic alcohol abuse).
2. Drug (when taking drugs that have a negative effect on liver cells).
3. Viral (as a complication of viral hepatitis).
4. Primary biliary cirrhosis is a disease in the development of which the role of genetic mechanisms is great.
5. Congestive - with blood stasis and disruption of the normal blood supply to the liver.
Pain in the liver in cirrhosis is always accompanied by a host of other symptoms:
- fever, weakness, fatigue,
- an increase in the size of the abdomen due to an increase in the liver and accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity,
- jaundice, itchy skin,
- dilated veins under the skin of the abdomen, legs,
- toxic brain damage, impaired mental activity.
Sometimes pain in the liver with cirrhosis for a long time is the only symptom. It is aching in nature, weakly expressed, and the patient does not even suspect that he has a pathology, and does not seek medical help.
Diagnosis of pain in the liver in cirrhosis involves the use of ultrasound, computed tomography, biochemical analysis of blood, liver biopsy. Treatment is carried out in a gastroenterological or therapeutic hospital. Sometimes hemodialysis is required.
More about liver cirrhosis
Liver pain with steatosis
Steatosis is a disease in which a large amount of fat accumulates in the liver tissue. It does not disintegrate and is not excreted, disrupting the normal function of the organ, and leading to the emergence of pain. The most common causes of steatosis are such conditions as prolonged alcohol abuse, metabolic disorders in the body, hereditary predisposition, unhealthy diet and overweight.
When steatosis occurs, pain in the liver, which is most often accompanied by symptoms such as indigestion (abdominal distension, constipation and diarrhea, nausea and vomiting), general fatigue, weakness, lethargy.
Steatosis usually has a long course, lasts for many years. At the same time, during the period of subsiding the process of pain in the liver ceases to be disturbed, and when it is reactivated, they arise again.
Pain in the liver with steatosis usually resolves very quickly with the refusal of alcohol, compliance with a rational diet, avoidance of stress and the daily implementation of a simple gymnastics complex. Also for the treatment of pain and other syndromes prescribe some drugs.
Benign liver tumors often occur in the initial stages without pain or any other symptoms, so their diagnosis is quite a challenge.
Among the tumors that can lead to pain in the liver, the most common:
1. Adenomas - tumors of glandular liver cells.
2. Hemangiomas - vascular tumors.
3. Liver nodular hyperplasia - a large number of nodules of benign origin in the thickness of the organ tissue.
4. Liver cysts formed from the hepatic ducts and having a congenital origin.
Pain in the liver occurs only if the tumor reaches a very large size. She is aching in nature, worries the patient constantly, accompanied by nausea, vomiting and other digestive disorders.
The diagnosis is made after an ultrasound scan, CT scan, MRI, liver biopsy. In case of pain in the liver caused by benign tumors, mainly surgical treatment is used.
There are several types of liver cancer, but for all the occurrence of pain in the liver. Pain syndrome is aching in nature, worries the patient almost constantly. At the same time, there are such signs as an increase in body temperature to 38 o С, weakness, lethargy, fatigue, lack of appetite, bloating. The liver grows in size, with its palpation the pain increases significantly.
Confirmation that the pain in the liver is caused by a malignant tumor is the data obtained during the ultrasound scan, scintigraphy, CT scan, MRI, biochemical blood analysis, blood test for tumor markers - substances that are released into the blood in cancer.
Treatment depends on the type, size and activity of the tumor. Apply radiation therapy, surgical treatment, drug therapy (chemotherapy, targeted therapy).
Acute cholecystitis is an acute inflammatory lesion of the gallbladder wall, accompanied by stitching pains in the liver.
Typically, an attack of pain in the area of the liver in acute cholecystitis occurs after ingestion of fatty, spicy, smoked, extractive foods. Pain syndrome is very strong, and delivers severe torment to the patient. At the same time, there are other symptoms:
- the pain often gives to the right arm, shoulder, under the right shoulder blade, to the right collarbone,
- digestive disturbances are simultaneously noted: nausea and vomiting, abdominal distention, discomfort,
- body temperature rises, sometimes to very high numbers,
- general weakness, fatigue.
Pain in the liver in acute cholecystitis is an acute condition in which medical care should be provided soon. The patient is placed in a hospital, ultrasound of the liver and gallbladder, other studies are performed. The most commonly prescribed surgical treatment.
Chronic cholecystitis is an inflammatory process in the gallbladder wall that lasts for a long time (more than 6 months). It can be stoneless or stone (as a manifestation of gallstone disease).
In chronic cholecystitis dull pains occur under the liver, accompanied by various digestive disorders. Sometimes jaundice may occur.
Most often, pain under the liver and other symptoms in chronic cholecystitis occur in waves, with periods of exacerbations and subsidence of the process. At the same time, the period of exacerbation resembles acute cholecystitis.
Sometimes there is a sharp pain in the area of the liver, like an attack of acute cholecystitis, which is then transformed into chronic. But the disease may acquire a chronic course initially.
Treatment of pain in the liver during exacerbation of chronic cholecystitis is most often carried out in the hospital. Appointed appropriate medication. When the process subsides, the patient must follow an appropriate diet.
More about cholecystitis
Liver pain in gallstone disease
Typical sharp stitching pains in the liver occur with biliary colic, which is a complication of gallstone disease. The process can begin as acute cholecystitis. But the pain under the right edge quickly increases, increases, becomes almost unbearable. Она не проходит при перемене положения тела, пациент буквально не может найти себе места.
Боль под печенью обусловлена тем, что камень, который находится в желчном пузыре, попадает в желчный проток и перекрывает его. At the same time there is a spasm of the duct, causing pain even more aggravated.
Since the outflow of bile is disturbed, jaundice joins hepatic colic. Urine becomes darker, like beer, and the stool is almost completely discolored.
A patient with pains under the liver due to biliary colic should be immediately placed in the hospital. Stones are easily detected during the ultrasound. Medical treatment is carried out, indications for surgical intervention are determined.
More about cholelithiasis
Open injuries of the liver are various wounds (stabbed, chopped, chopped, gunshot). Due to the large number of blood vessels, intense bleeding is always noted. At the same time, pain in the liver is the main symptom only for some time after injury - then a state of shock develops as a result of massive blood loss, which threatens the patient's life.
Victims with open injuries of the liver should be immediately taken to the hospital for surgical treatment.
If there is a rupture or crush of an organ, then against the background of severe pains the patient turns pale, loses consciousness and falls into a state of shock. His blood pressure drops dramatically.
With liver bruises, the pain is not so strong. There is no indication that the patient has internal bleeding. In principle, such a condition is not dangerous for the patient's life. But, firstly, pain in the liver after injury does not allow to determine its severity without additional examination. Secondly, without appropriate treatment, these conditions can lead to the development of hepatic tumors, purulent process.
Infectious mononucleosis is a disease of viral origin, in which there is an increase in the liver, lymph nodes, as well as signs resembling a cold.
Liver pain in infectious mononucleosis occurs in approximately 15% of patients. Most often they are not very strong, they are pulling or aching in nature. However, there are the following additional symptoms:
- fever, fever,
- an increase in the size of the liver, subcutaneous lymph nodes,
- sore throat, like during a sore throat,
- digestive disorders
- an increase in the size of the spleen.
In infectious mononucleosis, antiviral treatment is prescribed.
More about mononucleosis
Adenovirus infection is a disease from the group of acute respiratory infections, in which damage to the liver and lymph nodes may occur. However, in some patients there is a slight pulling or aching pain in the liver.
The disease begins as normal ORZ: the body temperature rises, there is a runny nose, cough and sore throat, redness of the eyes and watery eyes. Liver pain is not found in all patients. They pass after the cure of the underlying disease.
Parasitic liver diseases
Echinococcosis is a parasitic disease caused by the echinococcus worm, which dwells in the body of a human in the form of a larva, and settles mainly in the liver tissue.
Once in the intestine, the larva penetrates through its walls into the small blood vessels, and can, in principle, with the blood flow into any organ. In 50-70% of cases, invasion into the liver occurs. While the larva is small, it does not cause any concern to the patient, and does not lead to any violations.
Later, when the echinococcal bladder is already quite large, it begins to squeeze the liver and stretch its capsule, disrupts blood flow in the organ and the normal flow of bile. As a result, there is pain in the liver, a feeling of heaviness, discomfort. In the future, jaundice and digestive disorders can join the pain.
When cyst suppurations, pain in the liver can be accompanied by fever, general malaise. Disorders of the function of the digestive system are further aggravated.
If a cyst rupture occurred, then a sharp stabbing pain is felt in the region of the liver, the patient develops a severe allergic reaction, anaphylactic shock. This is a potentially life-threatening condition.
Treatment of an echinococcal cyst and pain associated with it in the liver is performed surgically.
An abscess is a cavity with pus, which is covered by a capsule, and is located in the thickness of the liver tissue. For hepatic abscess, pain in the liver region is a very characteristic symptom. It is almost permanent, and is accompanied by fever, fever, a violation of general well-being.
Most often, liver abscess is a complication of appendicitis, echinococcal organ cysts, parasitic invasions (for example, pains in the liver associated with amebiasis organ abscess are quite common).
A suspicion of liver abscess appears when pain occurs in the area of the liver in combination with fever. The final diagnosis is established after an ultrasound scan, CT scan, MRI. Treatment is surgical, followed by antibiotic therapy.
The head of the pancreas is adjacent to the liver and gallbladder. With the development of the inflammatory process in it - acute pancreatitis - pain occurs, which can be mistaken for pain in the liver.
An attack of acute pancreatitis occurs suddenly. Most of all people predisposed to it who abuse fat food, alcohol, have diseases of a gall bladder.
In acute pancreatitis, there is severe pain in the liver, nausea, vomiting, fever. These signs are similar to the symptoms of acute cholecystitis, but with pancreatitis they are more pronounced. Usually, an accurate diagnosis is possible only after an ultrasound scan. The patient is placed in a surgical hospital, fasting, bed rest, cold on the pancreatic area, and drug therapy are prescribed on the first day.
More about pancreatitis
The right kidney is located in such a way that when it is damaged, the pain can be given under the right rib, imitating pain in the liver. Similar symptoms may occur with pyelonephritis, kidney injury, urolithiasis, etc.
In this case, ultrasound, urinalysis, computed tomography helps to establish the true cause of "pain in the liver".
In case of duodenal ulcer, pain in the area of the liver can also occur. They are accompanied by nausea and vomiting, most often occur on an empty stomach and at night (the so-called "hungry" pain).
In order to accurately determine the cause of pain in the liver, and prescribe the correct treatment, in this case, prescribe fibrogastroduodenoscopy, contrast radiography.
Which doctor to contact?
In the event of acute or chronic, dull, aching or stitching pain in the liver, it is undesirable to take any measures on their own. It is necessary to consult a doctor - a gastroenterologist, a hepatologist or a surgeon as soon as possible. Only after examining a specialist can you establish a presumptive diagnosis? and start treatment of liver pain in accordance with the pathology they were caused by.
In most cases, the doctor prescribes ultrasound for patients. It is safe, and at the same time very informative, and therefore can provide a lot of useful information.
In the future, the doctor will either prescribe outpatient treatment or give the patient a referral to the hospital.
In the event of acute severe pain in the liver, it is advisable to immediately call the ambulance team. In some cases, this symptom indicates an acute condition that requires immediate placement of the patient in the hospital.
To relieve pain in the liver, pain medications and antispasmodics are most often used as temporary symptomatic agents. However, you should not take them before the examination of the doctor: if the pain subsides, then the doctor may get a false impression, in the end he will not make the correct diagnosis and will not prescribe the necessary treatment.
After the diagnosis, they start treating the underlying disease that causes liver pain. Prescriptions can be made only by the attending doctor.
Diet for liver pain
When pathologies of the biliary system, accompanied by pain in the liver, prescribe a diet that is designed to relieve the body. Sufficient amounts of protein and carbohydrates should be present in the patient's diet, and the fat content, especially cholesterol, should be reduced.
During a diet for liver pains, it is recommended to use the following foods:
- bread, which was baked the day before, or dried bread,
- milk and dairy products: a small amount of sour cream, cottage cheese, yogurt, kefir,
- You can cook soups from a variety of cereals, vegetables, milk soups,
- vegetarian soup or cabbage soup,
- lean meat: beef, rabbit meat, chicken, turkey,
- dietary and doctor sausage,
- baked egg white omelet
- boiled or baked fish,
- boiled macaroni,
- cereals, fruits and vegetables in any form, but not fried.
Diet for pain in the liver strictly excludes the following products:
- soups in mushroom broth,
- fatty meat (pork, goose, duck, etc.),
- any fried or smoked dishes,
- canned food
- spicy dishes and spices,
- chicken eggs yolks
- any cream pastry,
Sometimes strictly adhered to a diet for pain in the liver brings even more pronounced positive effect than the use of drugs. Of course, it all depends on the type and severity of the disease.
Can the liver hurt?
The liver is the most important internal organ that acts as a filter, cleansing the blood of toxic substances, poisons and other harmful substances. It is the largest gland in the human body, which is directly involved in protein, fat and carbohydrate metabolism, is responsible for detoxification, the blood, digestion and excretion.
Without this organ, the human body cannot function. Therefore, nature has taken care of its protection and endowed with truly unique capabilities for regeneration and self-healing. There are cases when, with the loss of 70% of liver tissue, a person had every chance of survival, because over time the organ was restored and continued to function.
At the same time, this gland has a serious drawback - namely, the absence of nerve endings. Therefore, severe pain occurs only when stretching the liver capsule, in which there are just a lot of nerve fibers. But such symptoms occur only with severe lesions (hepatitis, cirrhosis, tumors), when the pathological process has already gone too far and the bloated liver begins to put pressure on the membrane. In other cases, the pain syndrome is mild and many simply do not pay attention to the usual malaise and do not see a reason to go to a doctor.
The liver is a very “quiet” organ that rarely makes itself felt pain in the early stages of the disease. But still, there are some characteristic signs that indicate trouble and force to seek medical help. Often, liver pathologies are directly related to diseases of neighboring organs (pancreas, gall bladder).
Then the pain syndrome becomes more pronounced, and the examination allows you to make a correct and timely diagnosis. Therefore, you need to be more attentive to your health, to know where a person's liver hurts, what signs manifest her pathological conditions and what causes the most important gland of the body to be affected.
Why does liver hurt?
There are many factors that can lead to disruption of the liver. They can be divided into two groups:
Conditions provoking pain:
- Intensive sports training with improper breathing techniques or performing heavy physical work after a tight snack can be accompanied by dull, aching pain in the right side. This is due to the fact that increased loads accelerate blood circulation, as a result of which the iron overflows with blood and presses against the capsule shell, causing painful sensations.
- A sedentary lifestyle (hypodynamia) causes congestion in the gallbladder and leads to disruption of the outflow of bile, which threatens the formation of stones and provokes hepatic colic. Therefore, if it hurts in the area of the liver, you should be examined as early as possible and determine the cause of this condition.
- Wrong diet with a predominance of fatty or spicy foods, adherence to strict diets, alcohol abuse - all this adversely affects the state of the liver and provokes pain in the right hypochondrium.
Diseases that cause liver pain:
- Chronic and acute intoxication of the body. This is poisoning by alcohol, poisons of plant or animal origin, heavy metal salts, pesticides, phenols, prolonged and uncontrolled use of drugs that have a toxic effect on the liver.
- Viral or bacterial infections (mononucleosis, viral hepatitis).
- Acute or chronic diseases of the digestive organs (cholecystitis, biliary dyskinesia, pancreatitis, etc.).
- Metabolic disorders provoking liver obesity.
- Autoimmune diseases.
- Genetic (congenital) pathologies.
- Parasitic infections (giardiasis, alveococcosis, echinococcosis).
- Tumor processes.
Either of these causes can cause liver problems and can lead to serious illnesses such as kidney failure, hepatitis, cirrhosis, or cancer. Therefore, it is very important to know how symptoms of hepatic abnormalities appear in order to promptly seek medical help and avoid the serious consequences that arise in advanced cases.
In the early stages, liver problems are difficult to detect, since they manifest as nonspecific ailments, which the average person can write off as signs of completely different diseases. What you need to pay attention to, and what symptoms should alert and force to consult a doctor?
- weakness, lethargy, irritability,
- lack of appetite, gratuitous loss or weight gain,
- fatigue, headaches,
- reduced performance
- bleeding gums, plaque on the tongue,
- bad breath,
- the appearance of edema,
These symptoms indicate the development of a pathological process in the liver. Worsening of well-being is due to the fact that iron does not cope with its functions and cannot completely neutralize and eliminate the incoming toxins, which leads to poisoning of the body by decomposition products. The nervous system and the brain primarily suffer from a disruption in the liver, which causes the aforementioned ailments.
As the pathology progresses further, there are more pronounced symptoms associated with the accumulation of bilirubin in the blood, which leads to a change in skin color and sclera of the eyes (they become yellowish). It is believed that this is a major symptom indicating liver problems. At this stage, there are more pronounced signs of the disease:
- pains of a different nature (pulling, aching) in the right hypochondrium,
- enlarged liver
- yellowness of the skin and eye sclera,
- indigestion, discomfort and heaviness in the abdomen,
- nausea, bitterness in the mouth,
- the appearance of spider veins
- increased allergic reactions
- feverish conditions (chills, fever),
- discoloration of urine (it becomes darker),
- bleaching of feces.
The pains arising in the right hypochondrium can be different: dull, drawing, aching, sharp. It all depends on the nature and severity of the pathological process. At the same time, the clinical picture of how the liver hurts women, is practically no different from the symptoms of the disease in men. But in representatives of the stronger sex, the course of the disease may be accompanied by sexual dysfunctions, a decrease in the number of spermatozoa and impotence. In addition, many men suffer from alcohol dependence, which most often causes cirrhosis.
As the liver hurts - the symptoms in men and women are generally the same. But the fair sex more often pay attention to the deterioration of appearance. As the pathology progresses, the complexion changes, the skin becomes grayish or yellowish, bags appear under the eyes, hair falls out, becomes thin, dry and lifeless. There is a skin itch rash, break off the nails, dysfunctions of the menstrual cycle develop.
How does alcohol affect the liver?
Everyone knows that alcohol destroys liver cells and leads to the development of cirrhosis, fatty degeneration or alcoholic hepatitis. The risk of severe liver damage caused by alcohol abuse is much higher in men, since it is men who are more likely to be exposed to harmful habits. But alcoholism is an insidious disease, which in women develops much faster and more actively. Women more quickly than men become addicted to alcohol, and this addiction is accompanied by rapidly developing pathologies from the liver and other internal organs.In this case, female alcoholism is practically not treated, and the daily intake of ethanol in the body leads to fatty degeneration and cirrhosis of the liver.
With constant alcohol intake, liver cells die and connective tissue forms in their place. The inflammatory process progresses, the liver grows in size, presses against the capsule shell and provokes the occurrence of pain. Even with the amazing ability to regenerate, to restore the liver will take long months of treatment, during which you have to completely abandon alcohol.
How does liver disease affect health?
Pathological changes occurring in the liver, immediately affect the appearance. Since iron cannot fully perform its cleansing functions, slags and toxins accumulate in the body and worsen the condition of the skin, hair and nails. The skin on the face becomes dull and excessively dry, rashes appear (acne, pimples), hair is strewed, the nail plates break off.
In patients with liver pathologies, the risk of developing cataracts and glaucoma increases, and visual acuity decreases. "Twilight" vision falls, tearing appears, a painful reaction to bright sunlight. Since the liver does not cope with the loads, the level of “bad” cholesterol in the blood rises, which triggers the development of cardiovascular diseases and leads to a persistent increase in blood pressure. Arterial hypertension in turn increases the risk of developing a heart attack or stroke.
Doctors say that almost all patients who are overweight or suffering from obesity, have problems with the liver. The most commonly observed fatty liver (hepatosis), in which liver cells are replaced by adipose tissue.
Important! If you have the characteristic symptoms (heaviness in the right side, sharp or constant aching pain), do not self-medicate and do not take analgesics before consulting a doctor! Acceptance of pain pills can blur the picture of the disease, complicate the diagnosis and will have an additional toxic effect on the liver.
If the liver is severely sore and there are at least a few of the characteristic symptoms listed above, go to the doctor right away! Such a condition may indicate the development of serious health problems and requires immediate skilled assistance.
Which doctor to contact?
When anxiety symptoms appear, it is recommended to consult a general practitioner. After an external examination and anamnesis, the doctor will refer the patient to narrow specialists. For problems with the liver, a hepatologist or a gastroenterologist who specializes in diseases of this organ will provide expert help. If necessary, after specifying the diagnosis, the patient will be referred to an oncologist (if there is a suspicion of the development of an oncological process) or a surgeon.
Diagnostic measures for liver pain include a number of laboratory, invasive and non-invasive research methods.
- Laboratory methods include general and biochemical blood tests, research on hepatitis and cancer cells, immunological and genetic tests (if necessary).
- Non-invasive diagnostic methods are the examination of a patient using computer technology (CT, MRI), ultrasound. Modern and informative diagnostic methods allow us to form an idea of the state of an organ, the degree of its damage, to determine the size of the liver, the structure of its tissues.
- Studies such as biopsy, laparoscopy or percutaneous puncture (invasive techniques) are needed to clarify the diagnosis in doubtful cases.
Liver pain medications are prescribed based on the severity of the symptoms, the clinical picture of the disease and the general condition of the patient. For the relief of pain, pain killers and antispasmodics are most often used. The doctor must prescribe them, since the treatment of this most important organ requires a competent approach and a correctly selected complex treatment scheme.
The main role in the treatment of the liver is given to drugs - hepatoprotectors, whose action is aimed at the regeneration and restoration of liver cells. They need to take for a long time. Given the associated diseases (cholecystitis, pancreatitis), the doctor may prescribe medications with anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties.
Combined agents have proven themselves well, which not only relieve pain, but also work to eliminate the inflammatory process and normalize the functions of the most important organ. Among them are the following drugs:
These tools are used even for such severe liver damage as cirrhosis or chronic hepatitis. If the pain syndrome is accompanied by chronic cholecystitis or cholelithiasis, the treatment regimen includes drugs:
To eliminate spasms prescribed No-shpu, Drotaverin, Hepatic colic is well removed Trimedat, Buscopan, Duspatalin. Relieving an acute attack of pain will help Riabal, and normalize peristalsis of the intestines and eliminate biliary dyskinesia - Reglan or Domperidone.
You should take medications for liver pain after consulting with your doctor, who will select the optimal treatment regimen, taking into account your individual characteristics, severity of the condition, possible contraindications and other nuances. If acute pain is not stopped by drugs, it is necessary to call emergency medical care and go to the hospital. Acute viral or bacterial hepatitis, toxic liver damage, acute cholecystitis are treated only in a hospital setting. In other cases, liver pathologies require long and regular treatment, constant medication and strict adherence to the recommendations of the doctor.
When violations of the liver, the following products are banned:
- fresh baking, bread, confectionery (especially with cream),
- sweets, candy, chocolate,
- concentrated fish and meat broths,
- fatty meats and fish
- canned food, semi-finished products,
- smoked meat, lard, sausages,
- hot spices and seasonings,
- garlic, radish,
- any alcoholic beverages,
- citrus fruits (lemons, oranges, grapefruits),
- strong black tea and coffee,
- chicken eggs (yolk).
Such a diet should be a way of life, compliance with it will complement drug treatment, help restore liver function and achieve complete recovery.
The mechanism of the formation of pain
The development of discomfort in the right hypochondrium often accompanies various pathological processes in hepatocytes. The tissue of this parenchymal organ itself does not have pain receptors and nerve fibers, in principle, however, most people at least once in their life have encountered pathological sensations in the area of the anatomical location of the liver.
The mechanism of the development of acute or chronic pain can be quite different and depend on the destruction of hepatocytes, stagnation of venous blood in the capillaries of the parenchyma, as well as in the presence of edema or rupture of the organ. The emergence of the feeling of discomfort is always due to one reason - an increase in the volume of the organ, a change in its shape or a rupture of the connective tissue capsule. It is the irritation of the serous membrane that leads to the development of pain syndrome.
Serous capsule or peritoneum, which envelops the liver on three sides, is derived from the visceral membrane of the abdominal organs, it is rich in nerve endings. Based on the above, it can be summarized that the liver tissue, like the brain, is not able to feel pain on its own; the international community of hepatologists has come to this opinion.
How to determine that it hurts the liver?
Diagnosis of pathologies associated with pain in the liver, deals with a wide range of specialists, which includes surgeons, endocrinologists, gastroenterologists and therapists. In order to independently determine that the pain is associated with the liver, it is enough to pay attention to such moments:
- Localization of pain is the right hypochondrium.
- Often the above sensations occur when there is a disturbance in the diet and the intake of fatty or spicy foods. This is due to an insufficient amount of secreted bile enzymes and spasm of the biliary tract.
- A history of life of chronic hepatic pathology in conjunction with the typical localization of discomfort.
- The presence of bitterness in the oral cavity.
- Paroxysmal fever.
- Periodic or permanent staining of the skin and visible mucous membranes in yellow.
- Increased abdominal volume and the appearance of enlarged veins on the anterior abdominal wall.
In the early stages of pathologies, which can lead to discomfort in the right hypochondrium, nonspecific symptoms are often observed, including loss of appetite and aversion to food, decreased performance, rapid fatigue, discoloration of the stool and its consistency.
Types of liver pain
Sudden marked pain syndrome is most often associated with an acute process and is called hepatic colic.. The cause of this condition is usually obturation of the bile duct stones or spasm of their muscle layer. Ultrasound examination of cholangiography is used for diagnostics - this technique allows to identify the cause and prescribe adequate treatment, which consists either in the use of antispasmodics or in the surgical removal of the stone.
The aching pain accompanies most chronic sluggish processes, which include cirrhosis, dyskinesia of the intrahepatic ducts or tumors of the pancreatic head and the portal vein system. The first manifestation of this condition is a slight heaviness in the right hypochondrium. Initially, it is observed after ingestion of fatty meat food, gradually it becomes permanent and does not leave the patient. With the progression of pathology, the pain becomes chronic and even unbearable. Sometimes, when the cause of its development is an oncological process, even the use of narcotic painkillers is not effective.
The pain of a pulsating nature quite often accompanies the stagnation of venous blood. Usually the cause is spasmodic venules, which leads to overflow of small vessels and a feeling of pulsation in the arteries, since blood enters the body, but does not leave it. Palpation is determined enlarged, sharply painful liver. To differentiate this condition, it is necessary to exclude a dissecting abdominal aortic aneurysm. And for the treatment is used either antispasmodic therapy or diuretic drugs. Accompanying symptoms in this condition are nausea, heaviness in the left side and heartburn.
Causes of development
Medicine has long been engaged in identifying the causes of pain associated with the liver. As a result of a large number of medical studies, many factors leading to this unpleasant problem have been identified. Modern specialists divide them into two classes - functional and organic.
The first class include:
- Chronic alcohol intoxication.
- Excessive physical exertion, for which the body is not ready.
- Constant stress exposure.
- Failure to diet and ingestion of large amounts of fatty foods.
- Acute or chronic intoxication with medication.
The second group of reasons include such:
- The development of cirrhotic lesions of hepatocytes by various agents, including viral, alcoholic and autoimmune.
- Transformation of hepatocellular structures and their replacement by connective tissue, which is also called fatty tissue degeneration.
- Various processes leading to inflammation of the organ parenchyma.
- Chronic or acute abscess formation in the thickness of the liver tissue.
- Cancer processes and benign tumors of the liver and intrahepatic bile ducts.
- Copper metabolism and its accumulation in hepatocytes, which is also called the Konovalov-Wilson disease.
- Genetic deformations that lead to the accumulation of pathological pigments in the intercellular space.
The presence of pain under the liver is often observed, and this condition often occurs as a result of a complicated course of destructive cholecystitis and the development of subhepatic abscess. Inadequate antibiotic therapy after laparoscopic cholecystectomy may lead to the same result. In addition to subhepatic abscess, discomfort under the liver can cause such conditions as:
- Completed pylephlebitis during appendicitis.
- Inflammation of the right ureter.
- Pipe or abdominal pregnancy, adnexitis.
- Thrombosis of the mesenteric vessels feeding the right sections of the large and small intestine.
What is the need to differentiate pain in the liver?
The characteristic localization of pain in the liver is observed in various pathological conditions that may not be associated with impaired function or morphology of this organ. In this regard, it is necessary to conduct differential diagnostics with such diseases and urgent conditions:
- Acute inflammation of the pancreas - discomfort in this state is observed not only in the right hypochondrium, they are shingles and develop both against the background of complete well-being, and with the diagnosis of chronic hepatopancreatitis. The common thing is that the pain syndrome manifests itself acutely in violation of the diet or intake of large amounts of alcohol or its surrogates.
- Acute inflammation of the gallbladder - this is a pathology that is rather difficult to differentiate. This is due to the complete coincidence of the localization and nature of pain. Excellent are the data of physical examination, which will determine the specific symptoms of Ortner, Kera and Musse, as well as data obtained by ultrasound.
- Cholangitis This is a pathological condition that can develop in both the intrahepatic bile ducts and extrahepatic excretory ducts. The etiological factor is obturation of the lumen of the above anatomical structures with calculus and violation of the flow of bile, in the future there is the addition of a secondary infection and the development of inflammation. The symptoms of this disease are similar to those that occur during inflammation of the gallbladder, the difference is the persistent temperature rise of the patient to 38-40 degrees.
When conducting diagnostics, it is necessary to rely on the data of the physical examination, the collected history of life, as well as the results of laboratory and instrumental studies.
Special cases of pain in the liver
Exercise pain is often observed in people with chronic physical inactivity and low fitness. This is due to an increase in the content of catecholamines in the bloodstream, which leads to a decrease in the tone of the bile ducts due to spasm of their smooth muscle layer. When cholestasis increases the volume of the body and stretching its connective tissue capsule with the formation of pain. The second factor that leads to discomfort in the right hypochondrium during running or fitness is the constriction of the hepatic capillaries, which causes the outflow of blood from the liver to be disturbed, the visceral peritoneum is stretched and pain appears.
Pain before menstruation is associated with a change in the balance of female hormones., which leads to spasm of the intrahepatic ducts and blood vessels, which also causes pain in the liver. Acceptance of oral contraceptives has a similar side effect, and therefore it is necessary to consult a specialist before starting to use them.
Effects of ethanol on hepatocytes
The detrimental effect of alcohol on the liver and the human body as a whole is not news to the average man in the street. But lack of awareness of the actual processes and disorders in the cells of this important organ is often the cause of the development of serious diseases leading to death. According to statistics, alcoholic cirrhosis is several times more often diagnosed in men than in women.
Hepatocytes are a kind of filter that purifies human blood and is engaged in the synthesis of biologically active substances. When alcohol is broken down, toxic substances accumulate in the cell structures, which eventually lead to its death. The uniqueness of the liver lies in the fact that in addition to performing various functions of external and internal secretion, it has an incredible ability to regenerate - if two of its thirds are removed, it is able to return the previous volumes in one year.
But with the constant intake of low-quality alcohol-containing products, cellular structures die, and the empty space is immediately filled with adipose tissue. All these processes are accompanied by fever and inflammation of the body, as a result of which the volume increases, the capsule stretches and a sensation of pain arises. При достижении поздних стадий жирового перерождения, никаких регенераторных способностей печени не хватит для обеспечения потребностей организма взрослого человека и самовосстановления своей структуры.
Влияние печеночной патологии на здоровье
Человека с заболеванием печени можно достаточно легко увидеть в толпе. Its distinctive features are the typical appearance, which is characterized by the sallow color of the skin with jaundice tint, large belly and thin lower limbs. Hepatocytes perform many functions, including the synthesis of all building proteins, the mass of vasoactive substances, hormones and enzymes.
Due to the disruption of these processes, lipid metabolism is disturbed, cholesterol plaques from low density lipids are deposited on the walls of blood vessels of the heart, brain and aorta. As a result, ischemic strokes, stable angina, heart attacks and obliterating endarteritis of the vessels of the lower extremities develop. Disruption of the exchange of male hormones leads to increased estrogen concentrations in men, the occurrence of gynecomastia and female-type obesity.
If the above symptoms of liver tissue damage occur, it is necessary to urgently consult a doctor to diagnose and prescribe the necessary treatment.
General aspects of treatment
Experts hepatologists argue that the most effective therapy is a comprehensive treatment, which includes drugs that can increase the mitotic activity of hepatocytes, protect them from the toxic effects of various foods and restore their normal function. For the development of the most positive result, the cause of the pain must be eliminated: if it is a tumor or a cyst, it should be surgically removed, if the ducts are blocked with calculi and cholecystitis, laparoscopic cholecystectomy or endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography with papillosphincterotomy is performed. It is also necessary to level the phenomena of inflammation of the liver tissue and increase the production and outflow of bile. It is necessary to observe a certain mode in nutrition and physical activity.
One of the most important aspects in the treatment of liver disease and concomitant pain is dieting.. When you follow the recommendations related to nutrition, the load on the cellular structures of the body is reduced, it will increase its regenerative abilities and strengthen the human immunity. The treatment table consists of protein-containing food with a reduced amount of animal and vegetable fats. In the event of hepatic colic, experts recommend the ingestion of such products:
- Dietary fish varieties.
- Fat-free dairy products.
- Soups and borscht without meat.
- Of the meat products most appropriate is the reception rabbit, chicken or veal.
- Steamed boiled eggs and omelets.
- Vegetables and salads with sunflower oil.
- Fruits and greens.
On the other hand, it is necessary to completely eliminate foods that negatively affect liver function:
- White bread and bakery rich products.
- Chocolate and fatty creams.
- Meat broths.
- Fat and sausages.
- Spicy food.
- Citrus fruit.
- Coffee strong tea.
- Chicken egg yolks.
Prescription drugs depends on the stage of the disease, the severity of the general condition of the patient and the severity of pain. To eliminate the latter - use non-narcotic painkillers. To influence the pathophysiological mechanism of hepatitis, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed. In the presence of cholestasis and hypokinesia of the biliary tract, choleretic and cholekinetic drugs are used, as well as antispasmodics. This tactic allows you to increase the formation of bile acids and increase their outflow, which will reduce the size of the body and affect the pain due to overdistension of the capsule. A well-established group of medicinal hepatoprotectors, which includes the following drugs:
Tactic for sudden hepatic colic
If you are overtaken by a sharp pain in the right hypochondrium, it is necessary to consult a specialist, but in the absence of such an opportunity for various reasons, everything must be done to alleviate his own condition and prevent the development of shock. The most effective methods include the following:
- Use of antispasmodic drugs such as papaverine or no-shpa to improve the flow of bile acids.
- Acceptance of herbal preparations with an immortelle extract, corn stigmas and artichokes.
- Independent regular use of hepatoprotectors.
- Compliance with strict recommendations on the mode and composition of food, which is described above.
- Eating foods high in vitamins of group B.
In the absence of positive dynamics or an increase in clinical manifestations, you must still consult a doctor or call him at home.
Pain in the liver is a signal to conduct an immediate medical examination, as they act as a marker of a large number of serious diseases. Provided that the cause of such a condition is identified early, the likelihood of a successful outcome for both work and life is increased. The treatment of pathologies associated with hepatic tissue should be performed only by a certified specialist.
Why does the liver hurt when running?
- 1 Causes of pain in the right hypochondrium
- 1.1 The mechanism of pain in the liver while running
- 1.2 How to get rid and how to prevent pain?
- 1.2.1 How to prevent discomfort?
For the treatment of the liver, our readers have successfully used the Leviron Duo. Seeing the popularity of this tool, we decided to offer it to your attention.
Read more here ...
Unpleasant sensations in the right hypochondrium when running or walking fast make you worry about your health, to have an aversion to running and sport in general. The pain arises in most novice athletes at any age, and along with it, questions, what is the source of this pain and how to avoid it? These questions will be answered further.
Very often, when running, people encounter the appearance of pain in the side, which has a physiological basis, but can also talk about health problems.
Causes of pain in the right hypochondrium
During physical exertion, unpleasant sensations appear in the left side. The reason for this may well be problems with the spleen and other organs, and the liver, most likely, has nothing to do with this. Therefore, the subject of consideration is still the question of why the liver hurts? When discomfort appears, the person feels the pulling pain of a short-term nature, intense colic, chilling movements and prolonged pain with a feeling of squeezing or squeezing. An unequivocal answer to the question of pain can only be given by a doctor, since there are several reasons for this. Among the most common causes of pain when running are the following:
- abundant food before exercise,
- insufficient level of training, heavy loads,
- wrong approach to doing exercises,
- irregular breathing
- exercise too fast
- pathology in the liver and related organs.
Most athletes and coaches say that most often the inconvenience when running or other physical activity occurs during the period until the body becomes accustomed to the loads. Then it is enough to slow down or adjust the speed and duration of the workouts, correct breathing and strengthen the muscles of the whole body. Another cause of pain in the liver is impaired blood flow. During sports and jogging, the heart pumps more blood, it passes through the liver. If the blood does not have time to go all through the blood vessels of the body, it expands and hurts.
The cause of pain may be the diaphragm. While running, breathing becomes confused, it becomes frequent and intermittent, and the diaphragm contracts. So that she relaxes during the period of physical exertion, you need to control breathing, inhale the entire volume of the lungs. Pain is a signal that the diaphragm is not relaxing.
Back to table of contents
The mechanism of pain in the liver while running
The liver is not able to hurt, because in it the nerves in a small amount. The fibrous capsule of the body from excessive stretching hurts. In this section, it is worth noting that pain is a reaction of the liver capsule to stretching or contraction, but not to the liver itself. Therefore, doctors distinguish two cases of such sensations:
A sudden load causes a sharp inflow of blood to the liver, which provokes a rez in the side.
- Enlarging the liver in size, and therefore stretching the capsule or fibrous tissue. It is she who gives such unpleasant pulling sensations in her right side.
- Blocking stones bile ducts. In this case, the pain is tingling, stabbing in the side, and is determined by the specific location.
If we talk about running and physical activity, then the mechanism for the emergence of sensations is as follows. When a person is at rest, some of the blood is in reserve. If a person begins to move, the blood volume increases, the heart speeds up, which leads to an increase in the volume of blood flowing through the liver. To redistribute it from the abdominal cavity to the muscles, it fills the liver and spleen. The liver becomes larger, thus stretching the capsule. This is what leads to the appearance of pain.
Back to table of contents
How to get rid and how to prevent pain?
As mentioned above, pain in the side of the right side is not cause for concern. Still, it is better to listen to the sensations, if they last long and occur even under small loads, then you should consult a doctor. If a novice athlete feels a little discomfort, professional athletes and coaches recommend the following steps:
- Stop and catch your breath, you can go on a slow walk, taking a few full breaths and exhalations.
- Gentle massage movements rub in the area of the diaphragm and liver.
- After a short rest, you need to breathe deeply and bending down to exhale to the end.
- If the pain is aching and prolonged, you need to wear a warming and supporting belt on the abdomen and back area.
- You can make several movements of the abdomen to relax the diaphragm and to establish blood circulation in the abdominal cavity. To do this, the front wall of the abdomen bulges out while inhaling and draws out on exhaling.
Professional athletes eliminate pain when running by adjusting breathing and a slight movement of activity. They press the liver area with their hand while running, and then slowly release. Such simple actions will allow to get rid of discomfort and continue playing sports in a good mood.
Back to table of contents
How to prevent discomfort?
The best solution would be to prevent the appearance of pain. Prevent discomfort in several ways. First, do not overeat, but it is better to ensure that between workout and food intake is at least 2 - 3 hours, you can drink clean non-carbonated water before training. Each running training is best to start with a warm-up, gradually increasing the pace and intensity of the exercises. Training and the nature of the exercises should be appropriate age, level of training. It is extremely important when running breath control.
It is better to train under the guidance of a trainer, to do warm-ups with gradually increasing loads in order to prevent discomfort in the liver area.
Training without pain is possible, only you need to know how to conduct them and with what intensity. Therefore, you need to start training under the guidance of an experienced athlete or coach. Without knowing and having no experience, you can harm the body and discourage the desire to play sports. Only thanks to the knowledge of the coach you can quickly enter the mode and avoid discomfort in the right hypochondrium.
Alcohol in kidney stones
Urolithiasis (urolithiasis) is one of the common diseases affecting the kidneys and urinary system. Studying the causes of ICD, you need to pay attention to the effect of alcohol on the work of the kidneys.
Alcohol with urolithiasis causes irreparable harm to health. With regular alcohol abuse, the adrenal glands are impaired, immunity is reduced, the risk of developing renal failure or malignant neoplasms increases. There is an opinion that alcohol is useful for urolithiasis, because it has a diuretic effect. But such an opinion is erroneous, since alcohol is a poison, and it’s not worth waiting for.
Alcohol effect with ICD
It is known that the kidneys are a kind of filter that cleanses the human body from the accumulation of harmful toxic and toxic substances. Decomposition products of alcohol are toxic toxins. If the ICD is present in men or women in history, while they do not follow the diet, periodically consume alcohol, this can lead to the following violations:
- intoxication of the body,
- inflammation in the organs of the genitourinary system,
- reduce the body's defenses
- accelerated growth of stones
- the development of neoplasms of benign or malignant origin,
- impaired absorption of biological components
- increased risk of thrombosis in the renal vessels.
Any of the above states can cause irreparable harm to human health, strengthen the ICD symptoms, and cause intoxication of the body.
Effect of beer and other types of alcohol
Many wonder whether it is possible to drink beer with urolithiasis, because they believe that the healing properties of the hop, on which this drink is prepared, are useful for kidney diseases. This opinion is erroneous, since there are not so many natural ingredients in this drink, and there is plenty of ethyl alcohol, various dyes and chemical compounds. Beer with kidney stones increases the load on the urinary system, disrupts the organs, promotes the excretion of all useful elements from the body, including vitamins, minerals. The kidney stone from beer will not stop growing and will not dissolve. When urolithiasis beer can not be consumed even in small quantities, because it can accelerate the formation of kidney stones.
Any type of alcohol with kidney stones enhances the formation of insoluble precipitates, which later merge with each other, turning into stones.
Signs of kidney disease after drinking
Systematic use of any alcohol will sooner or later lead to kidney damage, disruption of the internal organs and systems. Beer lovers need to know that this intoxicating drink has a slow effect, but at the same time it depletes the body, violates the level of protein.
With frequent use, the following symptoms may occur:
- frequent urination,
- recurrent pain in the abdomen and lower back,
- sleep disturbance,
- heart rhythm disorder
- swelling of the face in the morning
- changing the color of urine,
- skin becomes yellowish gray,
- strong and constant thirst
- skin rash, itching.
The appearance of such symptoms is a sure sign of disorders in the kidneys and urinary system. Large doses of alcoholic drinks cause an exacerbation of chronic diseases, significantly reduce the immune defense, make a person defenseless against various viral and bacterial infections.
Recovery of the kidneys
If a person has urolithiasis in the history of a person, he must periodically visit a doctor, comply with all appointments and recommendations, including
Complete refusal of alcohol, including beer.
- Strict adherence to diet.
- Medication prescribed by a doctor.
- Timely treatment of all related diseases.
- Control body weight.
In the treatment of ICD, an important place is given to the diet, the observance of which allows you to maintain the work of the body, slow down the growth of stones.
With a disease such as urolithiasis, the doctor may prescribe:
- drug treatment,
- operation to remove calculus,
- stone crushing
- extracorporeal blood purification (hemodialysis or plasmapheresis).
With significant damage to the renal tissue, the development of complications may be the need for an organ transplant.
For the prevention of stones, it is better to drink ordinary water, pay attention to your diet and lifestyle, do not hesitate to visit the doctor at the first sign of any disease.
Giardia in the liver
Personal hygiene is an important part of a person’s life since birth. Violation of important rules is fraught with the acquisition of viruses and bacteria that are adapted to the body, may not be noticed for years. The disease called giardiasis is equally applicable to children and adults who do not attach special importance to clean hands, forget to wash vegetables and fruits before consumption. This is one of the diseases that is difficult to detect when diagnosing. It is also very difficult to get rid of it.
What is a disease
Giardiasis refers to infectious diseases, when after infection in the human body multiply and live parasites. Lamblia can settle in the liver or in the intestines. The causative agent of the disease is in two life forms. Trofoziodnaya or vegetative form causes various symptoms in adults and children. At this stage, the parasites have suckers, with which they are attached to the walls of the small intestine. Once secured, they have the ability to multiply. Паразит может провести в тонком кишечнике около месяца, когда он попадает в толстую кишку или выбрасывается во внешнюю среду с калом, погибает.
If a person has a disease that proceeds in the form of a trofoziodic form, it is difficult to get infected from it, especially when the rules of hygiene are observed. But it is the troposide stage that causes giardiasis, which develops in the liver. If an unripe, young parasite enters the body of adults or children, it will turn into a cyst form. At this stage of the disease, the pathogen is resistant to any environment and can survive in various conditions inside the body. Coming out of the body along with feces, the parasite can maintain its viability for almost 2.5 months.
Giardia in the liver and intestines, feed on cleavage products. The result of their stay in the body becomes a violation of the nervous system, gastrointestinal tract. Even if you bring the parasites, to treat other organs will have a long time.
Manifestations in children
The chronic form of the disease is more often diagnosed for children of school age. Lamblia, while in the liver, mimics other diseases, which makes it difficult to establish a definitive diagnosis, but the disease is much heavier than in adults. Due to toxic substances that emit parasites, the child’s immunity is inhibited, and allergic reactions appear on the skin. Against the background of hepatic giardiasis, children are more often ill, they are diagnosed with bronchial asthma, atopic dermatitis. Often babies suffer from a dry cough. In addition to the general symptoms of the disease, the child's performance decreases, and fatigue and irritability increase. Lymph nodes may increase.
Manifestations in adults
For adults, the manifestation of giardiasis is more characterized by pain, especially after eating fatty foods, dryness and bitterness in the mouth, nausea. The pain is more localized in the stomach, less often in the navel. The general condition of the body is characterized by headaches, fatigue, pale skin and a yellowish tinge on the tongue.
How to treat
Only a doctor can determine the type of pathogen and assign the appropriate treatment when diagnosing giardiasis. Lamblia, living in the liver, can be "expelled" by complex treatment, which includes a strict diet, taking multivitamins and drugs. Treatment is primarily aimed at strengthening the body, improving the functioning of the liver and gastrointestinal tract. Usually, treatment is prescribed for 5-7 days, followed by laboratory examination. If it was not possible to get rid of parasites, it means that they have adapted to the action of the drugs, it is necessary to prescribe a new technique.
Treat hepatic giardiasis better in the acute stage of antihistamine drugs, which have proven themselves in the fight against adults. To combat the larvae and young single-celled other drugs are used. An important role is given to enterosorbents, with the help of which the body is freed from toxins.
For the period of treatment banned products are saturated with simple carbohydrates: milk, flour products, pasta, sausage, sweets. It is better to cook or steam food, avoiding frying. It is advisable to exclude from the diet fatty foods. A strict diet helps to create conditions under which parasites find it difficult to reproduce, as well as improve intestinal motility.
Treat giardiasis of the liver is perfectly possible folk remedies that complement traditional medicine. The treatment can be carried out with the help of sauerkraut pickle, coconut, flax seeds and cloves, horseradish tincture, a mixture of honey with plantain leaves.
Compliance with simple rules of personal hygiene that are familiar to children and adults from an early age helps to prevent infection by infection. It is much easier to prevent giardiasis in the liver than to treat its effects.
Liver in the functioning of the reproductive system
Everyone is accustomed to thinking that the liver, as part of digestion, depends only on nutrition, moderate alcohol consumption and medications. These are important factors for her health, but not the only ones.
Communication of the liver with the reproductive system is that the body is involved in the metabolism of hormones. And these substances and in the work of the reproductive system have the first role. And their excess or deficiency not only leads to disturbances in the functioning of the reproductive organs, but also forces the liver to work hard. The synthesis of cholesterol by it, which is necessary for the production of sex hormones, determines the state of the ovaries.
The interaction of the liver and reproductive system
For these reasons, normally flowing menstrual and diseased liver cannot be combined. As well as problems with the cycle caused by hormonal disorders, often affect its condition. This becomes obvious in the days of menstruation, when the reproductive organs are in the renewal stage.
Remind about its existence in case of problems in the reproductive sphere, the liver can still in the premenstrual days. The hormonal alteration of the organism begins already at this stage, its center is the rivalry between estrogen and progesterone.
For the liver, the first substance is of particular importance. The body is involved in the processing of estrogen, turning it into estradiol. And if before the monthly liver hurts, it is at least a hormonal failure with excess amount of this substance. Indeed, in this case, the body will have to work more actively.
Pain in the liver before menstruation
A single minor violation should not cause a similar reaction in the premenstrual period. If it is noticed, the failure has already taken a systemic character, it is necessary to find out its cause and treat it. There are also signs of PMS that can make the liver painful before menstruation:
- Flatulence. Hormonal restructuring increases the effects on the intestines. Its walls begin to shrink more actively, aided by errors in nutrition. Usually, you want sweets before menstruation, and sugar increases gas formation. Air bubbles create tension in many areas of the intestine. Menstruation is on the way, and the liver, suffering from the pressure of a neighboring organ, is as concerned as the sensations in the stomach and lower back,
- Fluid retention The slowdown in water metabolism is caused by the composition of hormones. Normally, the swelling is noticeable, but does not cause much concern. In gynecological diseases, mainly associated with the uterine appendages, the internal organs increase in size, increase the load, as a result of which pain appears in the right hypochondrium region. It can be perceived as a problem with the liver, although in fact it comes from the ovaries, fallopian tubes.
Liver problems during menstruation can be caused by the susceptibility of its tissues to an increased amount of estrogen. Hormonal imbalances provoke several circumstances:
- The use of fatty foods in large quantities. This meat, butter, nuts, in short, everything that contributes to the excess production of estrogen. The liver is also involved in lipid metabolism. All used fats pass through it. Therefore, at the stage when the volume of estrogen should be minimal, its increase leads to the fact that the woman has an enlarged liver during menstruation,
- Incorrectly chosen contraception. Hormonal drugs that are not suitable for a particular woman can cause ovarian failure. Getting into the blood, the active ingredient of the drug does not bypass the liver, which is involved in its purification.
We recommend to read an article about heart pain during menstruation. You will learn about the causes of premenstrual pain, lowering and increasing blood pressure on critical days.
A hormonal disorder, forcing to recall during menstruation, the location of an organ due to discomfort in it, is not always caused by an accidental malfunction, improper nutrition or medication. The fact that the liver hurts during menstruation may indicate gynecological diseases:
Pain in the liver during menstruation
All of them maintain estrogen at a high level, regardless of the phase of the cycle, which normally does not happen. If the cause of discomfort in the area of the right hypochondrium is one of them, you need to pay attention to the menstrual flow. They will certainly go long and abundantly, interspersed with bleeding on other days, accompanied by tenderness in the mammary glands.
An enlarged liver and spleen during menstruation may be a sign:
- Problems with blood-forming organs. During menstruation, the body loses some of the biological fluid, but also works on its reproduction. If there are problems in the process, they can respond primarily to organs involved in the production and purification of blood,
- Venereal disease. The bacteria that cause these infections produce and fill the body with toxins from which the liver suffers. And since the menstrual period is characterized by exacerbation of ailments of the sexual sphere, it is not surprising that the most unpleasant symptoms appear more clearly.
In some cases, to help the liver, a visit to a gynecologist, an endocrinologist and hormone therapy is required. On the other hand, indisposition can help identify a disease that the woman did not suspect.
And if blood clots suddenly appear during menstruation, similar to the liver. the release of clots is accompanied by pain, bleeding for all critical days more than 150.
Increased blood loss, regularly tormenting pain, an imbalance of hormones, which all this is accompanied by, cause
Menstruation and pain in the kidneys. Female reproductive system does not work autonomously. Its functioning depends on other organs.
The causative agents of the underlying disease, getting into the liver, cause inflammation in its tissues. . Ibuklin during menstruation: help with pain, dosage.
Its purpose is indicated for pains of low and medium intensity. . Since citramon is excreted through the kidneys and is metabolized in the liver, in violation.
At the end of this period, the drug is absorbed in the liver and removed from. Possible abdominal pain, disorders of the chair in women, nausea and vomiting.
Why do we need a liver and where is it located?
In humans, the liver is an unpaired multifunctional organ, which belongs to the parenchymal organ, which means the absence of a cavity inside, complete filling with tissues and cells. It is not for nothing that they call it “biochemical factory”.
It is here that the mass of substances necessary for maintaining health is synthesized (proteins, vitamins, hormones, blood clotting and anti-clotting agents, immune protection). It is an organ that supplies energy for the life of cells, a blood depot. At the same time, it is engaged in the processing of slags, ridding the body of toxic substances, and participating in digestion.
Location can be defined as the upper right corner of the abdominal cavity. Front covered with ribs. The highest point is at the level of the fifth rib. The lower edge usually protrudes slightly from the right hypochondrium. The left lobe of the liver goes into the epigastric zone and is located above the stomach.
On the back surface has pits, which tightly enter the upper pole of the right kidney and the head of the pancreas. The bottom edge covers the gallbladder with ducts and the bend of the duodenum.
In order to know exactly where the liver hurts, it is necessary to find out from which side the pain begins, where it is spreading, its character, the accompanying symptoms.
Inside the liver are liver cells (hepatocytes), blood vessels, bile ducts. The whole structure is divided into segments. They have no nerve endings. And yet, in the question of whether the liver can hurt, doctors are sure that it can, but pain does not form in the parenchyma of the organ, but in the nerve receptors of the glisson capsule surrounding it.
To do this, the body must increase in size (swelling, blood overflow, inflammation, neoplasm) and stretch the capsule. The intensity of pain depends on the tension force. Pain in the liver may be associated with external pressure on the capsule and peritoneum from the enlarged "neighbors."
Another option is the transition of the inflammatory reaction to the adjacent sheets of peritoneum (perihepatitis), which is very rich in nerve endings. Causes of pain in the liver can be associated with the pathology of the body itself or others, there are functional and organic.
What causes pain in the liver?
The causes of pain in the liver of a functional nature, in contrast to organic, are removed after the cessation of the action of irritant, rest, normalization of nutrition, or soothing procedures. These include:
- alcohol intoxication with a single dose of alcohol-containing beverages,
- physical overstrain
- stressful condition
- overeating fatty, meat food,
- uncontrolled medication.
Organic causes include all diseases of the hepatic parenchyma. They disrupt the structure of hepatocytes, cause necrosis and replacement with non-functioning connective tissue. Why the liver hurts a particular person can be found only after a thorough examination. Details of the distinctive features and course of the disease will be discussed below.
Aching and nagging pains
If the patient indicates that "whines in the hypochondrium on the right," it should be understood - the process has a chronic course, often running. Functional pains are not aching. Usually at the same time worried about the feeling of heaviness after eating and physical exertion or for no reason.
Pulling dull pains extend upwards and in the back (to the neck, shoulder, shoulder). Strengthened by disturbances, slopes. Accompanied by nausea, abdominal distention, belching, unstable chair. The appearance of jaundice of the sclera and skin suggests the transition of the disease to the acute stage, possibly without a sufficiently pronounced intensity of pain. Patients develop weakness, itching of the skin.
The blunt nature of pain is most similar to the pathology of the hepatobiliary system. The fibrous capsule is stretched over the entire surface, so the pain does not have a bright localization. Differentiate the disease is possible with the help of the survey.
At the same time, other symptoms should be considered. For example, with neoplasms dull pain accompanied by weight loss, signs of liver failure, expressed already in the late stage of the disease.
On the high intensity of pain syndrome say the definition of "strong" and "acute pain." Increased pain after a period of "pangs" is associated with a growing tumor, cyst, and liver abscess. It is necessary to pay attention to the nature of the temperature (rapid rise with chills and a sharp decline in abscess formation), loss of appetite, upset stools, moderate yellowness of the sclera.
Hepatitis does not cause severe pain. It is associated with an attack of gallstones. Arises suddenly, is localized in the middle of the right hypochondrium, accompanied by vomiting. Irradiate in the interscapular region, in the right collarbone, shoulder, lower abdomen. Lasts up to a day, subsides gradually.
Wavy ripple corresponds to the heart rate. This can be understood by putting one hand on the hypochondrium and the other on the pulse. Possible for heart defects (tricuspid or aortic valve insufficiency). With an increase in the liver it can be seen on the fluctuation of the muscles.
A rare pathology - aneurysm of the hepatic artery is also accompanied by throbbing pain. Stagnation of circulatory failure is caused by adhesive pericarditis, mitral stenosis.
An overflow of blood in the central veins leads to an increase in pressure in the portal system and oxygen starvation of hepatocytes. The liver significantly increases, there is necrosis in the center of the lobules, replacement by connective tissue (cardiac cirrhosis). Patients complain of severe severity, nausea. Combined yellowness and cyanosis of the skin.
A sharp pain in the liver is not a sign of damage to the liver tissue. It is inherent in acute cholecystitis. The pain radiates to the right and upwards, in the neck, lower jaw, scapula. Occurs suddenly, accompanied by chills, fever, vomiting. The attack of biliary colic is provoked by jolting, exercise, violation of the diet.
Additional symptoms of pain
If the liver hurts, then the symptoms that indicate the failure of the parenchyma, digestive disorders, metabolic processes are necessarily found. Most often, the pain is aggravated after eating fatty foods, alcohol, jogging, physical exertion.
Signs of pain in the liver can be:
- irritability, weakness, apathy,
- belching with a rotten smell,
- itchy skin
- yellowing of the sclera and skin,
- dark urine
- gray feces,
- headache and muscle pain (in the back and legs),
- vascular "stars" (telangiectasia) on the face, abdomen, shoulders, chest,
- tendency to bleeding gums,
- men complain of sexual weakness in the first place, and women - infertility.
The main danger of liver disease is mild symptoms. Patients go to the doctor in the stage of irreversible changes (fatty degeneration, cirrhosis). In chronic course, pain may be absent altogether.
It is necessary to take into account which symptoms are associated with the secondary pathology of neighboring organs and establish a diagnosis based on them. This is done by qualified doctors. And patients should be guided when the pain in the area of the liver requires a quick call to an ambulance.
Emergency medical assistance is needed if:
- to relieve pain with home remedies fails
- there was vomiting with bile,
- боль в подреберье справа носит режущий характер, возникла внезапно,
- заметно пожелтение склер и кожи,
- значительно повысилась температура.
Даже однократный прием значительного количества спирта вызывает тяжелую интоксикацию. When pains in the hypochondrium on the right the next morning after drinking, the liver performs the task of processing ethyl alcohol and suffers itself:
- using the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase breaks it down to low-toxic substances,
- part of the hepatocytes is exposed to toxic effects and is not able to work,
- additional load is caused by a snack with abundant fatty meat food, spicy dishes,
- taking medicines for headaches and relieving hangovers is harmful to the body.
The effect of increased physical exertion
Often when trying to exercise, run, long walk, people complain that they "got sick under the ribs on the right." This becomes the reason for the refusal. Prolonged lack of physical activity leads to detraining the body.
When running in the liver accumulates an increased volume of venous blood. Particularly affected are those people who are not used to breathing properly. They have a diaphragm is not conducive to pumping blood from the venous bed. A sharp increase in size overstresses the capsule, so the person feels the pain.
To overcome the symptom and continue training it is recommended:
- a short rest, then the pain will disappear on its own,
- consider a gradual increase in load and breathing technique,
- Do not eat 2 hours before workouts.
With overdose of drugs
Uncontrolled administration of drugs, especially antibiotics (from the group of macrolides, penicillins, cephalosporins), sedatives and stimulants of the nervous system, leads to the accumulation of toxic substances in the liver. Decay products are excreted in the bile. At the same time they manage to break the viscosity of bile in a thicker side, cause stagnation and violation of the outflow.
Toxic effects can cause individual intolerance, the presence of the disease, which a person does not realize. There are pain, bloating, jaundice, itchy skin. In practice, symptoms can be regarded as acute medical hepatitis. For the formation of a week is enough.
To treat this condition should be the abolition of all drugs and the use of hepatoprotectors. A positive result quickly appears. Organic liver damage can be inflammatory and other. We will focus on some of them.
Hepatitis pain (acute and chronic)
Inflammation of the liver, lasting up to six months, is considered acute hepatitis. Doctors infectious diseases are engaged in the identification and treatment of acute viral hepatitis. Hepatitis A - begins as a respiratory disease with fever, headaches, weakness.
Aching pain in the liver occurs after 3 weeks. Instead of them, perhaps a feeling of heaviness, bloating. Jaundice appears on day 2–4. On her background, the patient's condition improves. All signs gradually disappear, the person recovers.
Hepatitis B - lasts up to two months. The pain syndrome increases gradually from the whining character to the dull feeling of heaviness. Starting with fever, general weakness, lethargy. Characterized by an increase in the liver, signs of jaundice.
With hepatitis D, there are no typical symptoms, it accompanies hepatitis B, and is more easily tolerated. Hepatitis E - different, except for signs of intoxication, severe pain in the liver and above the navel. Sometimes the disease begins with pain. The infectious disease physician prescribes treatment depending on the form.
Viral hepatitis B and C are known for their transition to a chronic course. What can be done to prevent undesirable transformation does not always depend on the desire of the patient and the physician. The pain in the right hypochondrium is permanent, in some the gain is only when the diet is disturbed and fatty foods are taken.
Localization is inaccurate: patients note pain either in the epigastrium or in the navel. Nausea and vomiting, flatulence, discomfort, all the symptoms of hepatitis. The reason is confirmed by biochemical blood tests, urine tests, identification of markers, ultrasound. If necessary, conduct computed tomography.
What to do with pain in the liver and how to treat the disease can be found in more detail in this article.
Cirrhosis and pain
Liver cirrhosis is a disease that disrupts the structure and function of the hepatic parenchyma. The disease has an irreversible nature: areas of liver tissue are replaced by scars. Progression leads to hepatic renal failure.
Pain in the liver dull character constant. There are several types of cirrhosis:
- alcoholic - caused by chronic alcoholism,
- viral - the result of chronic viral hepatitis,
- medication - with the toxic effects of drugs,
- primary biliary - causes a pathology of hereditary type,
- congestive - with heart failure.
Against the background of pain, other symptoms appear: moderate fever, severe weakness, weight loss, abdominal growth (ascites) when fluid is expelled from vessels into the abdominal cavity, yellowness and itching of the skin, expansion of the superficial umbilical veins, brain intoxication with mental changes. Biopsy confirms the diagnosis, allows you to set the degree of loss of liver function. The treatment requires hemodialysis, organ transplantation.
Pain in steatosis
The disease is caused by metabolic disorders, as a result of which hepatocytes are filled with fatty inclusions and destroy the normal structure of the tissue. Steatosis is more common in chronic alcoholics, obese people, in violation of metabolic processes (diabetes). Pain in the liver accompany the activation process, have a dull character. Well removed when the normalization of power, the rejection of alcohol.
With the benign nature of the tumor (adenomas, nodular hyperplasia, hemangiomas, cysts) begin to cause pain in case of significant growth, compression of the parenchyma and stretching the capsule from the inside. The type of pain is nagging, constant. Nausea and vomiting are possible.
Liver cancer is also accompanied by aching pains for a long time, but at the same time the patient has a fever, no appetite, weakness increases, and the stomach is constantly swollen. The liver is enlarged, palpation increases pain.
If the liver hurts a person who has undergone an operation for various malignant tumors, then metastasis is most likely to be suspected. Such pains are always caused by end-stage oncological diseases of other organs (stomach, intestines, mammary gland, esophagus, lungs, brain, pancreas).
Most often, liver metastases give cancer of the stomach, colon, lung, esophagus. Pains are constant, burdened by fever, weight loss, weakness, nausea, ascites. There is no pain in metastasis of a malignant tumor of the prostate gland, larynx, ovary, uterus, kidney and bladder.
Pain in the area under the liver
Sensations in diseases of the hepatic organs are very similar to pain in the liver. These include:
- an attack of appendicitis,
- right renal colic,
- ectopic pregnancy and adnexitis in women
- intestinal diseases (Crohn, ulcerative colitis, worm infestation).
Sometimes it is necessary to differentiate the pain with osteochondrosis. A separate discussion on pain in the liver can be carried out with traumatic injuries of the organ, parasitic diseases, abscesses.
There are many diseases and injuries, which are engaged in various specialists. To begin the examination should refer to the therapist. Tightening threatens loss of the ability to recover.
4 main signs of a sick gallbladder
Symptoms of cholecystitis in women, like the disease itself, are observed more often than in men. Representatives of the stronger sex suffer from inflammation of the gallbladder 8 times less. Pathology develops due to the ingestion of pathogenic microorganisms, stagnation of bile, unbalanced nutrition, lack of movement, omission of internal organs. The hereditary factor is also important.
Features of cholecystitis in women
Cholecystitis is considered one of the most common diseases of the organs located in the abdominal cavity. Pathology is associated with the activity of the gallbladder. It accumulates the secret of the liver. From the bladder bile is excreted into the duodenum to participate in the process of digesting food. There are a lot of acids in liver secretion. They break down food.
Bile-soaked food is advanced into the small intestine for further processing. At this stage, failures may occur. One of them - throwing food back into the ducts. Together with the digested masses, various infections often get there. Once in the gall, they provoke the development of inflammation.
Symptoms of cholecystitis in women in most cases affect the gastrointestinal tract:
- Aching pain in the area of the right hypochondrium, occurring about half an hour after eating.
- The skin at the site of the onset of pain becomes overly sensitive.
- Nausea and vomiting (vomit contains an admixture of bile).
- Abdominal distention, belching.
- The taste of metal in the mouth.
- Increased body temperature.
- Intestinal problems, such as constipation or diarrhea.
It should be noted that other diseases of the gallbladder of women and the gastrointestinal tract (gastrointestinal tract) have signs similar to cholecystitis. Therefore, before starting treatment, it is necessary to conduct a thorough diagnosis under the guidance of doctors.
How does the acute form of the disease
The symptoms of acute cholecystitis in women vary depending on how severe the inflammation is. The manifestations of the disease depend on the general condition of the patient, the presence of comorbidities. For example, in obese women, the risk of exacerbation is higher than that of slender ones.
So, in women there are several symptoms of gallbladder disease. Primary - pain, called biliary colic. It is felt in the area of the right hypochondrium, but it can move to the scapula or shoulder region. The left side of the body colic is rarely affected.
Most often, the painful sensations appear in the morning or in the evening, lasting from half an hour to an hour. The appearance of colic can be triggered by abundant intake of fatty, spicy or smoked food.
To provoke pain can:
- stretching the gallbladder,
- peritoneal irritation.
In the first case, the pain is felt deep inside. Discomfort does not increase when you press a sore point.
In the second case, the sensations are superficial in nature, intensified when touched. When this occurs, the tension of the abdominal muscles.
There are other symptoms of exacerbation:
- Enhanced gas formation.
- Excessive sweating.
- Taste of bitterness in the mouth.
- Problems with the work of the intestine.
In rare cases, jaundice may occur. It is associated with disorders of outflow of bile. The secret penetrates the blood, and with it into the skin.
The doctor should evaluate the existing symptoms and make a diagnosis. He also prescribes treatment. Self-treatment can worsen the patient's condition, leading to complications.
Symptoms of the chronic form of the disease
Symptoms of chronic cholecystitis are most often observed in women aged 40 to 60 years.
- dyspeptic (acute) digestive disorders,
- skin manifestations
- psycho-emotional disorders.
Pain is considered the main symptom. If cholecystitis is stoneless, discomfort appears after eating or drinking alcoholic beverages, carbonated beverages, as well as after excessive physical exertion or stress. The pain is aching. Accompanied by a feeling of heaviness.
If cholecystitis is complicated by the formation of stones, painful paroxysmal, differ in intensity. This is due to the constant contraction of the gall muscles. Particularly severe pain becomes when inflammation passes to the neck of the bladder.
In cases where a complication called pericholecystitis develops, the pain becomes somatic. The discomfort not only does not stop, but also increases with sharp turns, body tilts.
Symptoms of dyspeptic disorders produce nausea and vomiting. The latter is observed in almost 50% of patients. Often, after vomiting, the pain becomes weaker. Occasionally, bitterness in the mouth, bitter belching, heartburn, anorexia and indigestion are added to the symptoms.
In the period of exacerbation of chronic cholecystitis, there are other states:
- Yellowing of the skin. Most common with gallstones.
- Fever with chills.
- Depression, excessive weakness and fatigue.
- Pain in the heart.
With prolonged chronic cholecystitis, the inflammatory process can affect the solar plexus.
This condition also has its own characteristics:
- burning pain in the navel from time to time turning into the back,
- nausea, vomiting, gas, alternating with constipation diarrhea, belching, unpleasant taste in the mouth, problems with appetite,
- pain when pressing with a finger in the area between the navel and the xiphoid process,
- pain when pressed directly on the xiphoid process (Pekarsky syndrome).
Many women who suffer from a chronic disease experience premenstrual tension syndrome. It is characterized by emotional, vascular and hormonal disorders. They develop 2─10 days before menstruation and disappear immediately after they begin.
In addition to the symptoms of cholecystitis, before menstruation there is a headache, an increase and tenderness of the chest, an increase or decrease in blood pressure.
Diseases with a similar clinical picture
In the treatment of any form of cholecystitis an important place is occupied by accurate diagnosis.
Symptoms of the disease can be confused with the manifestations of other pathologies:
- Acute appendicitis. Like inflammation of the gallbladder, it is characterized by bouts of pain in the right hypochondrium. Colic does not stop for a minute, accompanied by vomiting, indigestion, fever.
- Acute form of pancreatitis. Dull pain increases gradually. Together with her, the patient is faced with frequent vomiting, which does not bring relief, abdominal distension, high pressure.
- Heart disease, namely ischemic disease. This is especially true for obese patients. Often, pain, heart rhythm disturbances, pressure fluctuations are attributed to vascular dystonia. Cholecystitis remains without treatment.
- Neurosis. Chronic inflammatory process provokes the development of depression, excessive suspiciousness and anxiety. Trying to get rid of them, a person turns to a psychotherapist or psychologist. At the same time, the patient is not aware of cholecystitis.
- Allergy. Disguised as such a state cholecystitis began recently. It may not manifest in the form of dyspeptic disorders and disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. The patient has an allergic reaction in the form of urticaria and angioedema.
So, the symptoms of cholecystitis in women depend on the form of the disease, the complexity of the course, the presence of comorbidities. Often they resemble other diseases. Therefore, special attention is paid to diagnostic activities.
Symptoms and signs of liver disease in women
Liver pathologies adversely affect the functioning of the female body. They are dangerous because they develop without characteristic signs, and it is almost impossible to identify them in the early stages. To provide timely assistance, you need to know how much the liver hurts. Symptoms in women have some distinctive features.
Functions of the body and the causes of pathologies
The liver performs many functions. She is involved in the synthesis of hemoglobin, the production of certain hormones. It acts as a filter, cleansing the body of toxins and protein decay products. Interacting with the gallbladder, accompanies the digestive and excretory processes.
There are reasons for which women experience pain in the liver.
A negative impact on this body have:
Constant contact with toxic substances leads to the development of tissue inflammation. They are modified, necrotized, causing the occurrence of severe pathological conditions such as hepatitis or cirrhosis.
Toxic effects occur in the following cases:
Regular abuse of alcohol. Alcohol intoxication is the most dangerous for the female body. Female liver cells are less resistant to the effects of alcohol than men. Irreversible changes in liver tissue begin much earlier, occurring in the chronic, most life-threatening form.
- Medicinal tissue damage. Women are often prone to self-healing, which can not but affect the condition of the body.
- Contact with toxins when working in hazardous areas. Contaminants accumulate in the liver, causing various injuries.
- Allergic effects.
Accompanied by pain in the liver can be excessive exercise and an oblique body position. These factors cause the organ to overfill with blood, which leads to its increase and stretching of the fibrous membrane.
The predominance in the diet of fatty spicy food, fast food, or periodic fasting, quickly lead to problems with digestion and pathological changes in the liver. When eating junk food, the gallbladder and pancreas are additionally affected.
IMPORTANT! Болевые ощущения при травмах печени, а также прилегающих тканей и органов, могут иметь отсроченный характер проявления.
Причины, свойственные только для женщин
Если ощущается боль ниже диафрагмы, в правом подреберье, причиной этому может стать беременность. Hormonal changes that occur in the process of fetal development can be a source of discomfort or a painful syndrome. In trimester III, the uterus increases to the extent that it squeezes adjacent organs. Squeezing the liver obstructs blood flow in the arteries and the flow of bile.
INTERESTING! Pain in the right side may occur before menstruation. They are easily confused with pain in the liver, but this kind of pain is different from liver colic.
Painful syndrome in liver pathologies tends to spread upward (in the right arm and under the scapula). All other painful manifestations in the right hypochondrium spread down or to the left side of the body.
For liver disease in women characterized by a long asymptomatic course. Most often, the first signs of a disease or pathology appear in the chronic stage. As a result of various negative changes, the body reacts by manifestation of symptoms that can be divided into the following categories:
An alarming signal about the appearance of problems with the liver is the change in skin color and structure. When pathological processes in the cellular structures of the body, or in the accompanying organs, the skin becomes dry or high in fat. Women are characterized by the appearance of a large number of pigment spots and rashes.
The most characteristic feature is the acquisition of skin yellow or grayish tint. Eye whites may also be stained yellow. The tongue is covered with a greenish layer of plaque.
Also the following symptoms occur:
- Increased sweating.
- Yellowing nails.
- Numbness of the soles of the feet.
- Constant weakness and drowsiness.
- Decreased attention and performance.
- Neurotic disorders.
NOTE! In the process of developing severe inflammation may slightly increase the temperature of the body.
What are additional signs of liver disease? These include:
Bitterness in the mouth, especially in the morning.
- Nausea, heartburn.
- Vomiting polluted by the presence of gall masses.
- Discoloration of urine and stool (dark urine and unusual, light beige stools).
- Frequent urging to stool.
- Enlarged liver.
- Varicose mesh on the right side of the abdomen.
Pain in liver pathologies occurs as a result of its increase. With various lesions of the body, it has a different character. The pain may be aching, spasmodic, acute or mild. Accompanying pain can severity in the right side of the body, localized in the right hypochondrium.
Hepatitis, fibrosis and cirrhosis are accompanied by the degeneration of healthy liver tissue into adipose connective tissue. Expanding, fatty replacement tissue stretches the body, and with it the fibrous protective sheath. In the shell and blood vessels of the liver are many nerve endings that react to stretching with dull aching pain.
IMPORTANT! In moderate severity of the disease, the pain in the woman’s right side is rather mild. It increases with the progression of pathology.
The strongest manifestation of pain occurs in diseases of the gallbladder and bile ducts. This is a hepatic colic that accompanies obstructed outflow of bile. Stones or neoplastic processes can cause the gallbladder to break and disrupt the circulation of bile.
Such pathologies are accompanied by severe spasmodic pain in the right hypochondrium. For hepatic colic is characterized by continuity of pain. They pass only in the case when the source of pathology returns to normal.
At an early stage of liver disease in adult women can be identified by chance, during a regular physical examination, or when going to a doctor with another problem. If a liver disease is detected in time, and treatment is prescribed according to the course of the disease, a positive effect is achieved very often.
Hepatologist deals with the treatment of diseases. Diseases of the liver in women are often accompanied by hormonal disorders, so they also need advice from an endocrinologist and gynecologist.
To establish the type of pathology, a comprehensive diagnosis is carried out. Treatment is selected depending on the nature of the disease and its severity. During pregnancy and lactation, the therapy of liver pathologies is carried out taking into account the possible risk to the child.
Unfortunately, the obvious symptoms with which women go to the doctor, are only with a chronic course of the disease. Some diseases, such as chronic hepatitis and cirrhosis, are not completely curable. In such cases, complex therapeutic and supportive therapy is prescribed.
TIP! To protect the liver from the effects of negative factors, there are special drugs - hepatoprotectors.
In liver diseases, proper diet plays an important role in restoring and maintaining women's health. Good results are provided by the treatment table No. 5, designed specifically to help with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and the biliary system. The diet is based on the use of boiled low-fat products, and also implies the presence in the diet of dairy and vegetable dishes.
The use of alcoholic beverages during treatment and in the process of rehabilitation is strictly prohibited. Marinated, spicy and fried foods are also subject to restrictions.
To keep the liver healthy, women need to follow simple principles. It is desirable to follow a diet, not to abuse alcohol and not to expose themselves to the frequent effects of stress factors. To prevent the occurrence of viral forms of liver disease, it is necessary to undergo regular examinations and not to have unprotected sex.
- Liver needle biopsy - preparation, types and how to take
- Reasons to increase thymol test
- What can show a liver ultrasound? Norm and interpretation of indicators
- HBs Ag - what kind of analysis? What does positive and negative mean? Decoding results
What affects the liver
Liver disease and increased stress on this organ can be triggered by the following factors.
- A large number of drugs. Often this happens in patients with chronic diseases. Every day they take potent drugs that support the health of the diseased organ. But at the same time it gives a powerful load on the work of the liver. By the way, oral contraceptives, which are often taken for years, can give such a reaction.
These are the main conditions that can cause liver disease. But how to understand that the liver works in a freelance mode? How to recognize her painful condition?
How to understand what hurts the liver
Here are the main symptoms that can talk about the problems in the work of this body.
- Frequent belching with an unpleasant smell, heartburn.
- The aching pains in the right side, the feeling of heaviness and overcrowding. The pain can be both periodic and minor, and acute. Especially pain occurs after taking fatty and salty foods.
- If the liver is impaired, itching, redness, and skin rashes may occur. Also from the excess of bile may appear wen and pigment spots.
- An excess of bile gives a clear bitter taste in the mouth.
- A white or yellow patina may appear on the tongue.
- In diseases of the liver, urine becomes dark, intensely yellow, and the stool may become colorless.
- Changing the general condition of man. He becomes sluggish, feels tired even after resting, and drowsiness and irritability appear. The patient often suffers from loss of appetite, sleep is disturbed, he loses weight. Sometimes it is accompanied by night sweats.
- With serious liver disease, the sclera and skin are yellow.
- Liver diseases are often accompanied by a disorder of the digestive system - constipation or diarrhea appears, bloating, flatulence, nausea and even vomiting are observed.
- In women, liver problems often lead to menstrual disorders. In men, this is accompanied by a loss of potency.
- Liver problems reduce immunity, a person begins to get sick often and for a long time.
- Such external signs may appear, such as deterioration of hair and nails.
- If an inflammatory process takes place in the liver, this is often accompanied by fever.
Sometimes the liver hurts absolutely asymptomatic, and to recognize its condition is possible only by ultrasound and analysis. But it also happens that the pain in the right hypochondrium and all the characteristic symptoms indicate not the disease of the liver itself, but problems in the work of neighboring organs, for example, the gallbladder. Self-treatment and self-diagnosis in this case is not highly recommended and may even be dangerous. If you don’t see a doctor in time, the symptoms may become blurred or go away altogether. But this does not mean that the inflammatory process has stopped. Sometimes inaction can lead to liver cirrhosis, oncology and fatty degeneration. Visit a doctor in a timely manner to identify the diagnosis and take adequate treatment. But what diseases can indicate poor liver function?
What diseases hurts the liver
Often, the liver takes the first blow if harmful viruses and bacteria have entered the body. The liver can be sick with the following diseases.
- Mononucleosis. This is a viral disease caused by the Epstein-Barr virus. Mononucleosis is characterized by purulent throat, as with follicular angina, an increase in lymph nodes, and a rash is possible. The virus also has a strong effect on the liver - it grows in size.
- Hepatitis. Hepatitis can be viral, bacterial, radiation, toxic and autoimmune. Viral hepatitis A to G is the most well-known disease that disrupts the functioning of the liver, replacing its cells with salt and calcium deposits. Bacterial hepatitis occurs when syphilis, radiation - due to high doses of radiation, autoimmune - when antibodies are produced on their own liver cells. Toxic hepatitis occurs due to alcohol poisoning, drugs or poisons. Hepatitis occurs with flu-like symptoms - drowsiness, weakness, loss of appetite, vomiting, etc.
- Parasites. Various parasites in the human body live not only in the intestines. They can be localized in the liver, narrowing the walls of blood vessels and irritating the nerve endings of the liver membrane, which leads to discomfort, pain and heaviness.
- Cyst of the bile duct, polycystic. Often, these diseases occur without symptoms. The cyst is simply located in the tissues, without inconvenience. Cysts are formed in the prenatal period. If the cyst begins to grow, it can lead to painful sensations. It is very important to consult a doctor in time to avoid a rupture, after which bleeding may begin.
This is not a complete list of diseases in which liver pain is the main symptom. The correct diagnosis can only make a doctor.
The complexity of the treatment of the liver lies in the fact that this organ does not make itself felt, even serious problems with it. But we can listen to your body and not be lazy to consult a doctor. After all, with timely diagnosis, the overwhelming number of diseases can be treated quickly and without consequences.