Many or many women are going through the abortion procedure, partially familiar with potential complications and consequences, but do not fully represent the entire rehabilitation process and its necessity and duration.
Why, after an abortion, it is necessary to exclude some moments from the usual way of life? Certain prohibitions are included in the rehabilitation complex and help restore not only physical health, but also prevent possible infertility in the future (see the consequences and complications of abortion).
Recovery of the menstrual cycle
Termination of pregnancy is the strongest stress for the body, so after the abortion the regulation of the functions of the ovarian-menstrual cycle is disturbed. Due to the significantly increased load on all organs during gestation, the hypothalamus is in a state of excitement, which affects the pituitary gland, which ceases to synthesize gonadotropins (FSH and LH) in the required ratios.
And instead of a periodic release of luteinizing hormone, characteristic of a normal menstrual cycle, its monotonous increased secretion is observed, as a result of which the ovaries increase and start to synthesize estrogens. But with the physiological completion of pregnancy, all the changes that occur are disappearing without health consequences. In the case of a forced abortion, an anatomical stage of menstrual dysfunction develops, which leads to the development of the following pathological conditions:
- luteal insufficiency (phase 2),
- secondary polycystic ovary,
- endometrial hyperplastic processes,
- uterine fibroids,
- syndrome or Itsenko-Cushing disease.
The listed pathology is caused by the excess production of LH after the previous uniform discharge, therefore, recovery of ovarian-menstrual function sometimes requires more than one month, in some cases several years.
After how many days after an abortion, menstruation begins, it is difficult to answer, it depends on a number of factors:
- woman's age
- chronic diseases
- abortion method
- gestational age when an abortion was performed,
- during the postoperative period.
Normally, in a healthy and young woman, menstrual periods after an abortion should begin in about a month, or rather, after that period, which lasted from the previous menstruation to the onset. To calculate the estimated date of the first menstrual period after the procedure, the starting point for the abortion should be taken as the starting point (the first day of the cycle).
However, artificial termination of pregnancy can not only lengthen or shorten the duration of the menstrual cycle, but also change the nature of the discharge. There may be scanty, spotting after abortion, which lasts for one to two menstrual cycles and is associated with incomplete recovery of the endometrium after the procedure.
If scanty menstruation persists for a longer time, this is a reason to consult a doctor, as well as for an extended examination. Reducing menstrual blood loss can be due to two reasons.
- The first is a functional failure in the production of hormones by the ovaries, pituitary, and hypothalamus. Often, this condition is observed after medical abortion, which is associated with taking very large doses of antiprogestins and requires the appointment of appropriate hormonal therapy.
- The second reason is mechanical damage to the endometrium (too “thorough” scraping of the mucous membrane and traumatization of its deep layers) and / or cervix (atresia of the cervical canal). In case of endometrial injury, synechiae (adhesions in the small pelvis) are formed in the uterus, which reduce not only its volume, but also the area of the endometrium, which is rejected during menstruation.
In addition to opsomenorrhea (scanty menstruation), amenorrhea and infertility may occur. Intrauterine synechia requires a hysteroscopic dissection.
If menstruations after abortion have become more abundant and repeated over several cycles, you also need to be alerted. Abundant and prolonged menstruation may indicate:
- either on the development of endometrial hyperplasia
- or about adenomyosis (endometriosis of the uterus).
And although the menstrual flow after an abortion can recover immediately, that is, begin after 21 - 35 days, ovulation may be absent for two to three menstrual cycles, which is considered normal. If anovulation is observed longer, and there are no visible violations of the cycle, it is necessary to start looking for the cause of this pathology.
Discharge after the procedure
Immediately after an abortion that has passed without complications, the discharge should normally be moderate, with a small number of clots. However, the volume and duration of blood discharge depend both on the duration of the terminated pregnancy and on the method of interruption.
- Small and even scanty discharge is observed after a vacuum abortion. This is due to the short duration of pregnancy, and, accordingly, a slight trauma to the uterine lining.
- After surgical abortion, especially in terms of 10 to 12 weeks, the discharge will be more intense and prolonged.
How many days after an abortion do the bleeding continue? The duration of hemorrhage after a properly performed procedure is normally 7, maximum 10 days. If the discharge continues for more than 10 days, the placental polyp should first be deleted, which is removed when the uterus cavity is scraped again. That is why the appearance to the gynecologist in 10 - 14 days is so important, who will not only palpate the uterus and suspect subinvolution or placental polyp, but also prescribe a pelvic ultrasound.
In the event of clots and heavy bleeding after an abortion, regardless of when it was performed, a day or 2 weeks ago, you should immediately seek qualified medical help, since the presence of remnants of the ovum or hematometer is not excluded.
Abdominal pain in post-abortion period
After an uncomplicated abortion, normal abdominal pain or slight discomfort is normal. Such sensations can last up to 7 days and do not really bother the patient. If the stomach hurts so much that it is impossible to lead a habitual way of life and leads to disability, this is a reason for an immediate appeal to a specialist.
- Hard and sharp pains indicate residues of placental tissue and embryo in the uterine cavity and the development of hematometers
- The aching, constant pains, together with the increased temperature after an abortion, are a sign of the onset of inflammation, which can be provoked by sexually transmitted infections, which for some time are asymptomatic.
- In general, in the first 2 days after the procedure, a slight increase in temperature (37.2 - 37.3) is not a pathology, but only reflects the body's response to surgery. It is also possible subfebrile and on the day of the production of medical abortion as a reaction of the thermoregulation center located in the brain, to receive high doses of hormones.
- But if the high temperature (more than 37.5) persists for more than 2 days - this is a sign of trouble and a reason to apply for honey. using
To prevent the development of inflammatory diseases after a medical termination of pregnancy, patients, especially those with unsatisfactory smear results and blood / urine tests, are prescribed a prophylactic course of anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory drugs of broad spectrum for 3–5 days (maximum 7 days). In the case of a confirmed inflammatory process, the doses of antibiotics are increased, and the course is extended.
Also, for the prevention of septic postabortion complications, the doctor will definitely recommend to avoid drafts and colds, to dress warmly in wet and cold weather and take a shower daily. No less important is following the rules of personal hygiene:
- treatment of external genitalia with water at least 2 times a day,
- timely change of pads and underwear, since the blood that has poured out of the uterus and lingered on the means of intimate hygiene is a good nutrient medium for microorganisms, which contributes to their active reproduction and penetration into the uterus, where they cause inflammation.
Every woman who artificially interrupted the pregnancy should know that taking alcohol in the post-abortion period is strictly prohibited, especially if she takes antibacterial drugs.
- First, under the influence of alcohol, antibiotics are destroyed, which means that their use will be absolutely useless and will not reduce the risk of developing post-abortion septic complications.
- Secondly, alcohol reduces the tone of smooth muscles, (myometrium consists of smooth muscles), which prevents its reduction and involution (return to previous size) after removing the pregnancy and can cause bleeding.
Uterus after abortion
The most affected organ after an abortion is the uterus. Its damage is the greater, the longer the abortion was performed. This is especially true for instrumental curettage of the embryo.
After an abortion, the uterus begins to contract immediately after removal of the embryo and assumes its normal, or almost normal, size by the end of the procedure. However, a wound surface is formed on the uterine wall (in the place where the fertilized egg was attached), which requires a certain time period for its healing and restoration of the endometrium, ready for transformation and rejection during menstruation.
- Normally, it takes 3 - 4 weeks, and by the beginning of a new menstruation (after a previous abortion), the uterus has its usual dimensions and a transformed epithelium.
- But if, when viewed in 10–12 days, which is mandatory after the procedure, the enlarged, softened and painful uterus is palpated, and the discharge is dark red or “meat slop”, with an unpleasant smell, scanty or moderate, then it’s about inflammation of the organ.
The causes of endometritis can be poorly performed abortions (remnants of the ovum), activation of a latent infection or infection during an abortion (violation of aseptic norms) or after (non-compliance with recommendations), or formation of hematometers. Therefore, all women after an abortion are assigned not only the control turnout to the gynecologist, but also a mandatory ultrasound scan, during which it is confirmed that the uterus is “clean.”
Sex life after abortion
Based on the above, it becomes clear that sex after an abortion must be excluded. A gynecologist will definitely warn a woman who has gone through a pregnancy termination procedure, that sexual intercourse should be observed for at least 3 weeks (after mini-abortion and pharmacological abortion).
For a specified period of time, the uterus should return to normal. But in the case of instrumental or classical abortion, especially in long periods, the prohibition of sexual activity is extended to 4 weeks, optimally until the end of the menstruation.
- First, this is due to the high risk of infection of the uterus and the development of inflammation.
- Secondly, sexual intercourse can disrupt contractile uterine activity, which will provoke its subinvolution or hematometer, and again lead to inflammation.
- In addition, having sex can cause pain after an abortion.
Probability of pregnancy after abortion
Not many former abortion clients know that after an abortion you can become pregnant, and very quickly, even before the onset of the first menstruation. In this case, you can draw a parallel with the pregnancy, which occurred immediately after the birth of the child in case of a woman's refusal from lactation.
After a sudden termination of pregnancy, the body begins to actively rebuild and returns to its usual rhythm. That is, the ovaries are preparing for a new menstruation, in them, under the action of pituitary gonadotropins (FSH and LH), estrogens are produced in stages, and then progesterone, which stimulates follicular maturation and ovulation.
Therefore, in more than half of the cases, the first ovulation occurs in a woman after 14 to 21 days. And if we consider the life of sperm (up to 7 days), then pregnancy after an abortion is very likely.
On the other hand, if a woman wishes to have a baby after a recent abortion due to circumstances, then it is necessary to abstain from pregnancy for a certain time.
It is believed that the minimum period of protection from pregnancy after a previous abortion is 6 months. Optimally, if the desired pregnancy comes in a year, and after careful examination and treatment of identified diseases.
During this period of time, the body will fully recover, and the risk of pregnancy complications associated with its previous violent interruption will decrease markedly (cervical insufficiency, hormonal imbalance, improper attachment of the ovum, intrauterine growth retardation).
Also, referring to the pregnancy that occurred immediately after the abortion, it should be said about the tests for its determination. After an abortion, the test will be positive, and such a result is maintained for another 4-6 weeks (if the term of the terminated pregnancy was large, a positive result lasts longer).
HCG is not immediately destroyed and removed from the body of a woman, this process is rather slow, therefore, a positive result cannot be considered a sign of pregnancy (the case of either an unreleased ovum during an abortion, or the onset of a new one). The only thing that can make one doubt that the test is “positive” is that the second strip in each new test will be lighter (see pregnancy test).
Ultrasonography is carried out to determine the exact fact of pregnancy, and in some situations a blood test for hCG several times in a row, in the case of a progressive decrease in the level of hCG in tests, they indicate a false-positive test result.
Immediately after the abortion, and preferably before the procedure, it is necessary to choose a method of contraception. The optimal solution in this case is to take hormonal contraceptive pills, as they mitigate the effects of hormonal stress, prevent neuroendocrine disorders, and, in addition, significantly reduce the risk of developing septic complications after abortion, which is explained by the following mechanisms:
- decrease in the amount of blood lost during menstruation (blood acts as a nutrient medium for microbes),
- compaction of cervical mucus, which not only prevents the penetration of "zhivchikov" into the uterus, but also pathogens,
- the cervical canal does not expand significantly during menstruation (protection against infection),
- decreases the intensity of uterine contractions, thereby reducing the risk of the spread of infectious agents from the uterus into the tubes.
It is recommended to take low-dose oral contraceptives, the dose of ethinyl estradiol in which does not exceed 35 mcg, since estrogens increase blood clotting, and during the first 20 to 30 days after abortion its hypercoagulation is noted. Such drugs include Regulon, Rigevidon, Mersilon.
Taking the pills should begin on the day of the abortion and continue on the schedule. The day of abortion will be counted as the first day of the new cycle.
Is it possible to use hygienic tampons after an abortion?
From intimate hygiene products after abortion, gaskets should be preferred, and the use of tampons is strictly prohibited, since bleeding absorbed by the tampon remains in the vagina with it and is an excellent medium for the reproduction of microorganisms, which increases the risk of developing postabortion inflammation.
What hurts and bothers the chest after an abortion (an abortion was performed 3 days ago)?
Perhaps the term of the interrupted pregnancy was quite large, and the mammary glands began to actively prepare for the upcoming lactation. But suddenly the aborted pregnancy led to a hormonal imbalance, the body and the mammary glands including, did not have time to restructure, which led to the appearance of chest pains.
Do I need any restrictions on food after an abortion?
No, following a special post-abortion diet is not required. But if an abortion occurred under general anesthesia and the anesthesiologist diagnosed an allergic reaction to the anesthetic, he may advise further adherence to the hypoallergenic diet (restriction of chocolate, citrus, coffee, seafood and other allergenic products).
Pharmabort is considered the safest because it does not require surgery. It is carried out with the help of two drugs in the form of tablets. The first contains the active substance - Mifepristone, which, once ingested, blocks the effect of the hormone progesterone, which is responsible for maintaining vital activity and healthy development of the fetus. Вследствие действия препарата эмбрион погибает.With the help of a second pill containing hormone-like substances, the uterus begins to contract intensively and reject the dead germ. Pharmabort is held only in the early stages up to 5-7 weeks.
There is another type of abortion that proceeds without outside intervention. The body itself decides to reject a dead embryo or fetus that has any abnormalities. Spontaneous abortion can also occur due to the lack of the hormone progesterone in the body of a woman, and for several other reasons. When the uterus has not been completely cleared, the cleaning of its cavity is used, and the completeness of the process is monitored by ultrasound. Read in one of our articles about the nature and duration of discharge after curettage of a missed abortion.
How many days are the discharge after an abortion?
The duration of the blood secreted as a result of artificial or spontaneous abortion depends on the term of the child, the age, associated diseases and competence of the specialist who conducted the process. Therefore, how much excretion after an abortion should go, even an experienced doctor cannot say for sure.
- Pharmabort is characterized by the fact that with the help of hormone-like drugs, it has an aggressive effect on hormones, and the body after such a shake-up comes to life for a long time. Despite the fact that surgical intervention and mechanical effects on internal tissues are absent, hormonal failure can cause bleeding after a medical abortion for up to a month, or even before the menstrual cycle is established. On average, bleeding lasts 2-7 days. At first, it may be the release of dark clots or heavy bleeding, after a day or two, the symptoms subside and end with daubs. Light brown, dark brown, scarlet discharge without an unpleasant odor are permissible. The first days after the procedure, cramps and abdominal pain are possible.
- The discharge after mini-abortion (vacuum aspiration) is abundant on the first day. On the second day, blood production is stopped or denoted as a daub. On day 3–4, the symptom resumes and proceeds as scanty pink, brown, or scarlet secretions. Sometimes it may disturb the lower abdomen. The general condition returns to normal in a couple of days. On the seventh or eighth day, discharge after vacuum aspiration ceases completely. The first few cycles of menstruation may be delayed.
- After surgical abortion, the longest and most intense discharge.On average, their duration is 2-3 weeks. The first 7 days the amount of blood is abundant, because with this type of abortion the fetus is removed in parts, and there is a high risk to remove not all of its particles, which are then excreted with secretions. A significant role is played by the fact that during curettage the endometrium is injured - the inner layer of the uterus. Considering that cleaning is applied for up to 22 weeks, then the uterus may be sufficiently enlarged by this period, and therefore, as a result of fetal extraction, the area of damaged tissues will be larger and the bleeding after this manipulation will be more abundant and longer. Read about secretions after curettage of the uterus by reference.
Postabortion: causes of bleeding
Often women do not understand the reason for the appearance of discharge after an abortion, especially medication. Indeed, in the first case, surgery and medical manipulations are absent. The fact is that with the onset and course of pregnancy, the uterus grows and increases in size several times as the fetus develops. During this period, hormonal changes of the mother change. After an abortion, the uterus returns to its normal state and acquires its original size with the help of cuts and self-cleaning. This process causes bleeding. At the time of greatest muscle contraction, the amount of blood reaches a maximum.
In rare cases, after the expulsion of the fetus, white discharge from the breast without pregnancy is noticeable. With the onset of pregnancy in the female body increases the level of the hormone prolactin, which is responsible for the production of milk and prepares the mammary glands for the upcoming lactation. After an abortion, they remain enlarged for some time and colostrum can be released. This is mainly observed after an abortion in the early stages.
Scanty discharge: pink or light brown
If there is no discharge on the day after the abortion, it usually indicates that the procedure was not effective and the pregnancy was not terminated permanently. Statistics show 7% of cases of this phenomenon.
If we are talking about a failed pharmabore, then it is completed by vacuum aspiration or cleaning. Mini abortion is finished by scraping.
However, do not panic before the time, sometimes the discharge makes itself felt after 2 days. Initially, it may be a slight pink or brown discharge, but every hour their intensity increases. If a scanty discharge lasts more than 3–4 days, then the uterus is not cleaned and must be reported to the doctor.
The intensity of the blood secreted may be insignificant with abortion at an early period (2 weeks), which does not always indicate pathology.
An excessively abundant discharge can also tell about incomplete interruption. In this case, the uterus is trying hard to reject the remnants of the fetus, due to which there is a large amount of blood or dark brown discharge and clots.
It happens that dead cells of embryo residues provoke sepsis of nearby tissues. Excessive bleeding is accompanied by purulent mucus, an unpleasant putrid odor, drawing pains in the lower abdomen, extending to the side and back, fever and deterioration of the general condition. If such symptoms are detected, urgent hospitalization is necessary to preserve the health and life of the woman.
Similar symptoms have inflammatory processes. An open wound, which is the uterus after any abortion, is at risk of an attack from the outside of pathogenic microorganisms. The chances of infection and inflammation increase due to reduced immunity and body stress. They are characterized by painful bleeding and spasms, fever, chills, malaise. Inflammations require immediate treatment, as they sometimes affect nearby organs.
Yellow, white and brown discharge after or without an abortion
Sudden blood loss, brown mucus with streaks of blood, increasing pain several days after an abortion indicates a polyp, endometriosis, neoplasm or cervical erosion.
Yellow, white or gray discharge after an abortion, which appear alternately with blood, indicate infectious inflammation. These include bacterial vaginosis. In addition to the fact that this disease is sexually transmitted, it can also be triggered by a violation of the microflora of the genital mucosa due to stress, medications, and tissue trauma. Discomfort in the form of itching and burning of the vagina, the unpleasant smell of rotten supplements the symptoms of this pathology.
Similar symptoms and fungal disease has - Candida. The difference lies in the curd consistency and fermented milk smell. Often thrush occurs in the post-abortion period due to antibiotics.
The yellow, odorless discharge in the medabort field of the first pill does not carry a threat and speak of the onset of the drug.
If you find prolonged, painful blood loss after manipulation, immediately contact a specialist.
It is important to monitor the progress of the post-abortion condition so that there are no complications. For the sake of health there is a need to comply with these rules:
- Stay in bed for at least a week.
- Avoid physical and emotional stress.
- To exclude the use of alcoholic drinks, bathing or hot showers, use of the sauna and pool.
- Take all the medicines prescribed by your doctor.
- Wear natural, spacious and comfortable underwear.
- Rinse and change the gaskets as often as possible.
- Use special means of intimate hygiene without dyes and flavors.
- For the time being, give up sex life. Ideally, this is a 30-day period during curettage (two weeks during pharmabort).
- Do not self-medicate if problems are found.
On how well you pass this stage, depends not only your health, but also the likelihood of re-conception.
Briefly about the main thing
Thus, bleeding due to abortion is a mandatory indicator that the manipulation was successful. If there is no discharge after an abortion, then this indicates incomplete and inconclusive fetus extraction. The intensity and nature of blood loss depends on the type of abortion and the period at which it was performed. Do not be afraid that abortion causes infertility. The main thing is to entrust this process to a competent specialist and monitor the body and secretions during the rehabilitation period. Be healthy!
What determines the nature of discharge after an abortion
Artificial termination of pregnancy (abortion), regardless of the technique of its implementation, involves the removal of the ovum from the uterus. This process is accompanied by damage to the blood vessels of its walls, which means bleeding.
Abortion is the strongest stress for a woman’s physiological health and serious psychological trauma.
The duration and nature of the discharge depends on:
- term of termination of pregnancy (the longer the period, the more profuse the bleeding),
- blood clotting indicators
- age and psychophysiological state of a woman,
- the presence of gynecological diseases in history (especially benign formations - polyps, fibroids),
- the number of transferred abortions (if artificial interruption of pregnancy was done more than once, then the bleeding may be stronger, especially after surgery),
- professional gynecologist skills and conditions of the operation (if we are talking about a vacuum or surgical abortion).
Yet the most revealing is the way in which pregnancy is interrupted.
Norm for discharge
Bleeding after a medical abortion usually begins on the 1-2nd day (sometimes within 3 hours) after taking mifepristone and is considered the start of a new monthly cycle. That is, the next menstruation is expected in 21-40 days, depending on the general health of the woman. In this case, the selection:
- the first 1-2 days of red and scarlet,
- on the 2nd – 4th day a light pink clot of 2–4 mm in size comes out - the ovum,
- on the 5–6th day of the selection change color to a darker, brown, and reduced,
- from 10 to 30 days "daub" continues (sometimes before the beginning of the next period).
It is interesting. Already 14 days after the abortion, a woman is capable of conception.
The essence of this method of abortion is that the fetus is removed from the uterus with a special vacuum suction. The procedure is carried out for a period of 6 to 10 weeks. Since the embryo is still loosely attached to the uterus during this period, the damage to its walls as a result of the procedure is minimal. And this means that the discharge is not too abundant.
Mini abortion is performed with a special vacuum suction.
What should be the selection
Bleeding occurs immediately after the abortion procedure, lasts 2–3 days and is considered the beginning of a new menstrual cycle. In this case, the selection:
- usually occur in the form of small red spots sometimes with white clots - the remains of the fruit that are not absorbed,
- after 4–5 days, brown discharge begins, indicating hormonal changes in the body,
- "Daub" can be observed before the next menstruation.
Brown discharge indicates hormonal alteration after abortion
It is interesting. It is difficult to determine the date of the onset of the next menstruation after a mini-abortion, because the timing depends not only on the hormonal background of the woman, but also on how the procedure went, whether there were complications. However, it is normally 28-40 days.
The instrumental (surgical) method of abortion is that, through the expansion of the cervical canal, the fetus is removed in parts, and the uterine walls are scraped together with the adjacent layers of the endometrium. Such an abortion is carried out up to 12 weeks at the insistence of a woman and up to 22 weeks for medical reasons.
With surgical abortion, there is a risk of mechanical damage to the uterus.
Discharge after surgery
Based on the nature of the procedure, scraping should always be accompanied by bleeding, which indicates the success of the operation. In addition, the discharge must:
- be abundant and have a scarlet color until the evening of the first day after the abortion,
- become brown on the 2nd day after the operation, which indicates the healing of the wound surface,
- "Smear" without bloody inclusions until the next menstruation.
It is interesting. If clots are observed on day 10 after surgical abortion, then, most likely, repeated curettage is required, since the fetus has not been completely removed.
Signs of pathology
In addition to hormonal disorders, after any type of abortion, the protective functions of the woman's body are reduced. In this regard, there may be pathological conditions requiring access to a gynecologist and an urgent ultrasound. They usually appear on the 3-4th day after abortion. Most often it is:
- Excessive bleeding. If the “super-maxi” lining is completely filled in half an hour, then, probably, particles of the ovum remain in the uterus, or the rejection of the fetus has not completely occurred. In the case of surgical abortion, excessive bleeding can be caused by cuts in the uterus, which is dangerous for the woman’s life, and therefore the only possible treatment is removal of the reproductive organ.
- Lack of blood. This indicates a spasm of the cervix, that is, it is closed, and the discharge can not go outside, causing an inflammatory process. This complication requires prompt opening of the neck and curettage. Otherwise, due to stagnation of blood, pus is formed, which can enter the bloodstream, accumulate in the peritoneum, and in these cases, the most common solution is to remove the infected organ - the uterus.
- Change the color of the selection:
- yellow tint indicates the presence of infection caused by streptococci, staphylococci or E. coli,
- yellow frothy discharge can be a sign of trichomoniasis or chlamydia,
- the green color indicates the presence of bacterial vaginosis caused by antibiotics or insufficient hygiene of the genital organs,
- if the discharge is pink, it is possible that the woman has cervical erosion, fibroids, polyps or a tumor, which may be caused by the use of hormonal drugs,
- the white color of the discharge indicates thrush caused by antibiotics or stress.
- Temperature rise. On days 1–2 after an abortion, temperatures of 37.2–37.3 are considered normal. But if it rises above 37.5 and lasts 2–3 days, then this is a sign of the development of complications.
- Sharp pain in the abdomen. There may be particles of placental tissue in the uterus. The aching pain in combination with high temperature can be a sign of an inflammatory process, which is triggered by a hidden sexual infection.
- The unpleasant smell of discharge (sour, rotten) is an indicator of infection.
- Itching, discomfort, or burning in the vagina speak of inflammation.
Regardless of the manner in which the abortion was performed, the woman should appear at the reception for her obstetrician-gynecologist in charge 14 days after the procedure for examination and ultrasound. In case of complications, you should seek help at the first manifestations of the pathological symptoms.
Ultrasound - a mandatory procedure two weeks after any type of abortion
Prevention of complications
To minimize the effects of abortion, it is necessary to strictly adhere to the recommendations of gynecologists:
- observe personal hygiene, so that after opening the cervical canal during a vacuum or surgical abortion, infection from the outside does not enter the uterus,
- take prescribed drugs
- eliminate sex for a month after the procedure until the body is fully restored,
- do not take a bath, do not lift weights and do not supercool for 30 days after termination of pregnancy,
- follow a diet rich in iron to restore blood loss.
After an abortion, the need to regularly visit a gynecologist becomes even more urgent.
Discharge after abortion is a normal physiological process. By the nature of the bleeding, color and consistency, one can judge how well the woman's body recovers. Indicators of norms depend on a number of factors, of which the method of abortion is fundamental. At the same time, pathological conditions, especially those associated with the development of inflammation or infection, are the same for any type of abortion.
Brown discharge after abortion
Out of ignorance, the appearance of brown discharge after an abortion can frighten a woman. Но если они не обильны, цвет от светлого до темно-коричневого, отсутствуют боли и неприятный запах – беспокоиться не о чем. Коричневые необильные сгустки говорят о выходе свернувшейся крови из полости матки.
But still, if in addition to this symptom there are other manifestations, you should consult a doctor. Because these manifestations may indicate the presence of endometrial placental polyp. This formation is not dangerous to health, but it requires removal due to the risk of anemia due to heavy bleeding. If untreated polyp, during sexual intercourse, a woman may experience discomfort, and even pain, in some cases, re-bleeding develops.
If brown discharge is accompanied by aching pain in the lower abdomen, this may indicate the development of some serious diseases, including endometriosis. After restoring the cycle, the disease manifests itself as brown inclusions before and after menstruation, less often in the middle of the cycle. Therefore, with the appearance of such signs, it is necessary to consult a doctor, since some complications, accompanied by brown secretions, may further become an obstacle to a new pregnancy or cause spontaneous miscarriages.
Occurrence of yellow discharge after abortion
Abortion is to clean the uterus from the ovum. After that, depending on the chosen method of abortion, an open wound remains, which is susceptible to the ingress of various pathogenic microorganisms, some of which are infectious. After contact with the damaged areas of the endometrium, microorganisms provoke an even greater disturbance of microflora, which is reflected in the shade of secretions. Yellow leucorrhoea can indicate the presence of sexually transmitted infections, which can lead to serious complications, including secondary infertility. Therefore, when these symptoms are detected, it is necessary to consult a specialist who will prescribe a series of tests. Also, the yellow discharge of an infectious nature is very often accompanied by an unpleasant odor. Regardless of the reasons for termination of pregnancy, abortion is a shock to the body, so you need to be attentive to health and to monitor their condition and well-being.
Yellow ichor in the presence of an unpleasant odor indicates the presence of pathogenic bacteria, such as:
In addition, yellow secretions may indicate reproduction of streptococci, staphylococci and Escherichia coli. In any case, it is necessary to conduct tests and tests, since these infections are dangerous for the reproductive health of women, it is impossible to get rid of these diseases on their own. It is very important to follow all the recommendations prescribed by the gynecologist during the abortive period, which will reduce the risk of serious complications.
Normally, after an abortion, yellow leucorrhoea can be observed for several months, the cause of which are microtraumas of the blood vessels, leading to blood inclusions. During the entire period, it is necessary to monitor not only the secretions themselves, but also the accompanying signs that may indicate the development of inflammation. In the absence of an unpleasant odor and temperature, yellow discharge after an abortion is the norm.
How much is the allocation after abortion
After termination of pregnancy, most women are interested in the question, how many days can discharge go after an abortion? If the procedure was carried out in a specialized center in compliance with all rules of hygiene, without the development of complications, spotting may occur for 7-10 days, the abundance of which depends on the method of operation and the duration of pregnancy.
If the interruption was carried out with the help of medication drugs, lochia can be observed for quite a long time, moving from a heavy discharge to a copious menstruation. If after two weeks there are whites with brown or bloody inclusions, then it gives reason to contact a specialist, even in the absence of other uncharacteristic signs (lower abdominal pain, fever, unpleasant smell of discharge).
When conducting a surgical abortion for 8-10 days, the ichor can stand out. During mechanical cleaning of the uterus, not only the embryo is removed, but also the endometrial layer, so post-abortion bleeding has a shorter period, and the recovery period is directed only to the healing of the inner surface of the uterus.
Mini-abortion is the most gentle way to remove a gestational sac, therefore it has the shortest recovery period and the duration of bleeding is only 2-5 days. But this method is performed only on small periods of pregnancy up to 6 weeks, when the ovum has not yet been fully implanted in the layers of the endometrium.
What kind of discharge should be after an abortion
Discharge after abortion is normal, but such symptoms sometimes speak of pathology. You need to know which symptoms are normal and which indicate the development of complications.
The following factors can affect the nature and profusion of bleeding after an abortion:
- The individuality of the patient's body: age, ability to reduce the uterus, blood composition, clotting, etc.,
- gestational age,
- the presence of disease in a woman
- abortion method
- the correctness of the procedure.
Immediately after the abortion, the discharge resembles the usual periods, the woman may have a little stomach ache, but the general state of health is satisfactory. Within 5-10 days, the discharge becomes less abundant, gradually acquiring a smearing character. At the end, brown or yellow inclusions of clotted blood may be present in the white.
One of the most modern and less dangerous ways to terminate a pregnancy is vacuum abortion. Improper implementation of which and non-compliance with the recommendations may lead to the development of complications.
The body of each woman is individual, so the allocation after a vacuum abortion may be different. But if women feel unwell and develop uncharacteristic symptoms, it is necessary to consult a doctor for examination.
After vacuum aspiration, the following discharge is considered normal:
- bleeding, by nature resembling menstruation lasting up to 3-4 days,
- highlighting of the spotting nature of brown or light pink color within 3-5 days after the procedure,
- leucorrhoea with brown inclusions for several days.
The monthly cycle is counted from the day of the procedure, but menstruation does not always occur on time. Some patients complained of spotting brown or bloody discharge, which after an abortion for 1-2 months can be considered the norm.
But sometimes the discharge after a vacuum abortion may acquire a different character, indicating a pathological process:
- Immediately after the abortion, there is abundant bleeding, in which the filling of a large gasket occurs in less than one hour. If the bleeding lasts more than 3 hours, you need to go to the hospital.
- If there are lumps and large blood clots in the discharge. This condition may indicate incomplete cleansing of the uterine cavity and finding the remains of the embryo. To confirm or refute this fact requires an ultrasound.
- The appearance of abundant white or cheesy discharge with odor, as well as the presence of temperature may indicate the presence of an inflammatory or infectious process.
- The absence of discharge may indicate serious pathologies, including the formation of a thrombus in the neck, which blocks the exit. Additionally, this complication is accompanied by dull aching pain in the lower abdomen and genital area.
After vacuum aspiration, other pathological secretions may occur, yellow or green - in any case, the help of a specialist is required.
Long, abundant discharge after a vacuum abortion, like the complete absence, is a deviation from the norm during the recovery period. A complete lack of discharge may indicate poor uterine contraction or the occurrence of a spasm. Which in both cases requires medical intervention, since the retention of blood in the uterus increases the risk of complications, including the development of infectious and inflammatory diseases.
Prolonged bleeding can indicate incomplete abortion and the presence in the uterus of the embryo, which makes it impossible for the body to contract normally, prolonging bleeding.
Blood discharge after medical abortion
After a medical abortion, blood discharge goes, it lasts no more than 7-8 days. Discharge after medical abortion differs in symptomatology from other methods - such a difference is due to various methods of removal of the ovum. When using the drug method, curettage does not occur, after taking the pill, the ovum comes out entirely. Therefore, with this method of interruption, in addition to bleeding, a release of light pink seals can be observed, which is a fetal egg with an embryo. In most cases, spotting is observed for quite a long time, assuming a smearing character, gradually turning into menstruation.
Post-abortion exposure is the norm:
- On the first day, after taking the drug - heavy bleeding for several days. After this time, the discharge becomes less plentiful and continues for another 7-8 days.
- Further, weak bleeding gradually acquires a smearing brown, yellow or beige color, caused by blood coagulation in the process of slow passage through the vagina.
- Brown discharge lasts up to 10 days.
If after a medical abortion there is a cheesy discharge with green or yellow inclusions, and there is a burning sensation, an unpleasant smell, as well as pain in the lower abdomen and genitals, then you should consult a doctor because such symptoms indicate the development of pathological processes.
Many women who used medical abortion, the discharge is compared with menstruation, the abundance of which depends on the duration of pregnancy and hormonal levels. The onset of bleeding after taking the pill is considered the beginning of a new cycle, so the next menstruation should begin in a month.
The absence of regular menstruation may indicate a pathological process or re-pregnancy, since ovulation can recover in the same cycle.
If bleeding lasts longer than 4 days after medical interruption, it may mean incomplete expulsion of the ovum from the uterus. If the ultrasound confirms the presence of residues of the embryo, the woman can be assigned a second abortion, but in a different way. Also, abundant blood flow more than 14 days after abortion with drugs, may be due to a violation of blood clotting and a violation of the cardiovascular system.
How many days after the abortion are the selection
The intensity, quality and quantity of discharge depends on several factors:
- type of abortion,
- gestational age,
- the state of the woman at the time of the manipulation,
- chronic diseases
- gynecological pathology,
- conditions where the manipulation and qualification of the doctor.
It should be noted that the rejection of tissues of various kinds after abortion is the norm and a standard phenomenon. Gradually scarlet discharge should turn into brownish, then daub and completely stop. However, it is important to observe how this happens. In case of deterioration of the general and local condition, immediately consult a doctor.
A less traumatic type of abortion is vacuum aspiration. Immediately after the procedure, the excretion of blood and mucus will be more intense, gradually decreasing to the amount of fluid during normal menstruation. Normally, the duration is up to three days with the complete cessation of the daub for up to a week.
Due to the use of specific drugs after medical abortion severe bleeding occurs, causing rejection of the ovum. Within 3-5 days a tissue clot should come out, and then the intensity of bleeding will decrease. The bleeding may last up to two weeks.
Surgical abortion is the most traumatic for the female body and is accompanied by bloody units, turning into brown color for up to 10 days. Copious excretion occurs in the first days after surgery and gradually have a scanty appearance.
Causes of bleeding
A woman's condition after any abortion is accompanied by bleeding and may stop within the first week. This happens because during the termination of pregnancy the integrity of the vessels and membranes is disturbed, bleeding occurs. This is a physiological condition during abortion.
Depending on the concomitant factors, the bleeding may be normal after this procedure or be abundant, which is a pathology of the condition. With such indicators, immediate consultation with a gynecologist is required.
A week after the rejection of the fetus, when the stomach hurts and there is a hemorrhage from the vagina, it is quite acceptable. When the shade turns pink, the recovery process is within the normal range.
It is important to ensure that the color and smell of the discharge does not change, and the bleeding does not continue beyond the prescribed period.
Yellow, brown and white discharge with and without smell
When a woman begins to hurt the stomach and the smell of discharge changes, it is necessary to undergo an examination. This means that an infection could have occurred through external pathways or the existing chronic focus of infection in the body has spread through the tissues, causing deterioration of the condition.
The color of tissue fluids and its change indicates the presence of an inflammatory process requiring treatment, which is prescribed only by a gynecologist. The white color of the tissues, turning into a cheesy state, is an indicator of thrush. Yellow or brown color, sometimes with a greenish tint characterize the presence of infection and find out which pathogen is possible during the examination.
The addition of various kinds of odor to discharge is also an indication infectious inflammatory processrequiring immediate treatment to rule out more complex pathological conditions. You must undergo laboratory tests to identify the causative agent of infection and prescribe adequate treatment.
Features of various methods of abortion
Depending on the gestational age, abortion is done in one of three ways: medication (for a period of 4-7 weeks), vacuum (up to 6-7) or surgical (from 7 to 12 weeks inclusive). The longer the period, the greater the likelihood of complications (incomplete removal of the ovum, tissue damage, the occurrence of inflammatory processes).
Medical abortion. With the help of a steroid preparation, an artificial decrease in the level of progesterone is required, which is necessary for fixing the embryo in the uterus. Then the woman takes another drug that strengthens the contraction of the uterus. There is a detachment of the ovum and its spontaneous excretion.
Vacuum abortion - this is the pulling out of the uterus of the ovum together with the endometrium using a vacuum device. Since such an operation is performed on a short term, it is also called a mini-abortion.
Surgical abortion carried out by scraping the uterus, removing the ovum together with the closest layers of the endometrium.
The most dangerous is abortion method of surgical curettage. With a vacuum abortion, the risk of complications is much less.
What secretions are considered normal
The following factors will affect how the discharge after an abortion will be:
- the method of its implementation,
- termination of pregnancy,
- peculiarities of the woman’s body (the ability of the uterus to contract, as well as coagulability and blood composition).
For 5–10 days after an abortion, a bloody or brown discharge of gradually decreasing intensity is the norm. In the end they become seducing. Color they give impurities coagulated blood.
Pathological discharge. When to see a doctor
If brown discharge appears more than 10 days after abortion, it may indicate the presence of cysts or polyps in the uterus. Small growths are not dangerous, but can be the cause of lower abdominal pain or during intercourse. A woman needs to undergo a gynecological examination periodically to monitor the condition of the uterus.
Brown discharge after an abortion is a sign of more serious diseases. If they appear before and after the first menstrual period, this may indicate inflammation of the uterine lining (endometritis). Subsequently, such secretions appear in the middle of the cycles, even if they are regular. The discharge has an unpleasant pungent smell. Inflammatory diseases of the genital organs must be eliminated. The sooner treatment is started, the fewer unpleasant consequences of abortion, miscarriages or ectopic pregnancy in the future.
Complications after an abortion can appear in about 2-3 days. Женщина замечает, что выделения изменили цвет или усилились. Например, появилась обильная желтая слизь с гнилостным запахом. Это верный признак того, что в матку попала инфекция, начался воспалительный процесс. Возбудителями могут быть стрептококки, стафилококки или кишечная палочка.Yellow frothy discharge with an unpleasant odor appears when infected with chlamydia or trichomonads (sources of venereal diseases).
In the case when the woman has pains in the abdomen for about 3-4 days, the temperature rises, the discharge becomes purulent, she should go to the hospital as soon as possible to have a pelvic ultrasound done, prescribed antibiotic treatment.
A doctor should be treated urgently in the following cases:
- there are clear signs of uterine bleeding,
- the passage of large clots over 4 days
- growing weakness, dizziness.
This condition is life threatening, requires immediate hospitalization and clarification of the cause of the bleeding. Perhaps surgical intervention.
If the discharge is scanty on day 1-2, and then stops altogether, this is most likely the result of muscle spasm in the region of the cervical canal. This condition is also very dangerous, since blood does not leave the uterus, accumulates there and can fester. In this case, the cervical canal should be expanded artificially. Sometimes you have to do scraping.
Discharge after vacuum termination of pregnancy
Although this procedure has its advantages (no use of metal dilators that traumatize the cervix, local anesthesia is applied), complications are also possible. Spotting after such an abortion appears within 3-4 days. If they are similar in appearance to the usual periods, then you should not worry. At first they may contain clots - the remnants of the ovum and epithelium, then the discharge becomes more homogeneous, turn pale, become normal.
After about 1 month, the normal periods come. Deviations in the period of the onset of menstruation are associated with the individual characteristics of the organism (depending on the duration of the cycle, the state of health and the nervous system of the woman). Most often, the first cycles occur irregularly, as the body takes time to eliminate hormonal failure.
Full recovery of the nature of menstruation after such an abortion occurs in 3-4 months in women who have given birth earlier, and in non-births the recovery process may be even greater.
A warning: During this period, it is necessary to use contraceptives, since due to the irregularity of the cycle it is impossible to predict the time of possible conception.
Discharge after medical termination of pregnancy
Bleeding after such an abortion is normal. It is an artificially induced menstruation. With the blood should come out the exfoliated fertilized egg. The shorter the gestation period, the weaker the changes in the hormonal background and the more bleeding will resemble ordinary menstruation.
The onset of bleeding after taking the medicine is considered the beginning of the subsequent menstrual cycle. The onset of menstruation is expected in a month. If they do not come, then it can be assumed that the woman became pregnant again, since conception is possible already 2 weeks after the abortion. If the discharge is too abundant, do not stop after 4 days - this is a pathology. This condition means that the egg has not been completely removed. Bleeding is also possible due to heart failure resulting from taking the drug, or due to vascular disorders.
Discharge after surgery
During surgery, there is damage to the blood vessels in the uterus. Therefore, for several days, scarlet discharge after an abortion is not unexpected. They may gradually turn burgundy or brown, contain lumps. Worry is, if the discharge does not weaken, continue for more than 10 days.
If there are still clots in the discharge after 10 days, you should consult a doctor, as this is a sign of incomplete removal of the fetus. Be sure to do an ultrasound. Most likely, you will need to re-clean.
Abundant incessant blood discharge means that there are cuts in the uterus. Such bleeding is life threatening. Sometimes only a complete removal of the uterus can save a woman.
If the discharge is not red, but greenish-yellow with streaks of blood, has an unpleasant odor - this is also abnormal, means that there is an inflammation in the uterus.
A warning: After any abortion a woman should visit the gynecologist after 15 days. The doctor examines, takes a smear for research on infections, and also makes recommendations on the use of contraceptives.
Causes of discharge
After an abortion, the appearance of bloody discharge. The fetus is obtained by scraping it with surgical instruments; the rupture of blood vessels occurs. Such a gap leads to bleeding, which resembles menstruation. That is why such bleeding is an integral part of post-abortion recovery, even if the procedure has occurred safely. When cleaning the uterus from the particles of the ovum bleeding begins for the following reasons:
- Contraction of the cervix.
- Peeling of the ovum.
- Rupture of uterine vessels.
The restorative processes that occur after artificial termination of pregnancy are characterized by blood loss, not significantly exceeding the usual monthly.
A mistaken opinion is that there is no discharge after an abortion. They should be, perhaps, with small clots, but in a normal amount and not very long.
Types of abortion
The duration (how much the discharge goes after a medical abortion) and the nature of the discharge is directly influenced by the method chosen. In medicine, there are such methods of artificial termination of pregnancy:
Classic surgical abortion. The process is accompanied by pain and impressive blood loss. The discharge takes about 10 days, changing its color from blood scarlet to dark (brown discharge after abortion).
- Medical abortion (pharmabort) with the help of hormonal drugs. Occurs by the release of a dense ovum, an early miscarriage occurs. Ample blood loss lasts about 2 days, then their number decreases, and then they begin to smear. The method is considered to be less traumatic and usually does not cause complications.
- Vacuum interrupt. Applicable in the early stages, the amount of blood released is insignificant and short-lived.
The way in which an abortion will be performed must be selected by a qualified technician. The decision should be made based on the age of the woman, the duration of the pregnancy and the general state of her health.
After an abortion is done, it is necessary to carefully monitor the state of your health, to understand what should be after the abortion condition, how many days the discharge goes to normal, to reduce the risk of infection and the occurrence of complications. When can consider the procedure successfully held:
- Lack of fetid odor.
- Hemorrhages are moderate, without heavy bleeding, after a few days they begin to smear.
- Brown discharge is the norm after an abortion. This suggests that blood is excreted in small quantities and clotted.
The duration of discharge may vary individually for each woman. The duration of bleeding depends on several factors.:
- The degree of blood clotting women.
- How long was the interruption?
- Age of the woman.
- The number of previous abortions.
- Qualification gynecologist and method of abortion.
Normal bleeding of moderate intensity after 3-4 days acquires a greasy consistency. This daub suggests that the recovery of the uterus is successful. At the final stage, their color changes to light pink.
It is necessary to know that the appearance of chills, fever, and pains require urgent visits to the doctor, even if the blood loss was sufficiently scarce.
A more benign method of abortion is a mini-abortion, in which the curettage is not performed. This method is more gentle, but the likelihood of residues inside the ovum is quite high. After a vacuum inspiration, a sharp change in the amount of blood secreted (heavy bleeding) is a reason for an urgent visit to a doctor.
Reasons for concern
It is very important that during the recovery period all processes in the body are moderate, without going beyond the permissible norms. First Signs for excitement are situations where discharge:
Completely absent. After abortion, all remaining fetal particles leave the uterus. The internal accumulation of blood begins if the blood stops abruptly and all the particles remain inside the woman’s body.
- Have a yellow color. This phenomenon indicates the beginning of infectious processes or sexually transmitted diseases - chlamydia, trichomoniasis. For an accurate diagnosis and prescription of treatment, you will need to pass a smear.
- They have a foamy character, green color and fishy smell. These are signs of an ongoing inflammatory process.
- They are heavy bleeding that can pose a threat to a woman’s life. May occur due to several reasons:
- Large dose of abortive drug.
- A visit to the bath or sauna.
- Excessive physical activity.
- Incomplete abortion.
The need for an abortion may arise for various reasons - unwanted pregnancy, identified fetal abnormalities, the recommendation of doctors. If this procedure was carried out, then it is worth remembering: the vulnerability of the female body increases several times after the termination of pregnancy, therefore, it is necessary to take care of your health during this period much more carefully.
Why abortion is accompanied by the appearance of discharge
Abortion involves the extraction of the ovum, which has already become one with the inner walls of the uterus. And since there are many blood vessels in this important female organ, any manipulation leads to secretions of a bloody nature.
What discharge is the norm after the process of abortion
If a woman has undergone an abortion, discharge after an abortion should not frighten her. However, it should be clearly understood which of them are the norm, and which signals about infection penetration or other complications. So, brown discharge after an abortion is considered normal. Their color is similar due to the fact that the blood that leaves the female genital organs in small amounts closes. However, it should be noted that the brown discharge can also signal the presence of polyps in the uterus. They are caused by hormonal abnormalities associated with abortion. Polyps are not dangerous, but they adversely affect the health of women, and therefore they must be removed in a timely manner.
If you have had an abortion, a brown abortion discharge may also indicate endometriosis. Most often in this case, the secret has a very unpleasant and sharp smell. This disease, as a rule, does not cause a woman inconvenience and discomfort, but it is necessary to treat it, as it can cause miscarriage in the future.
What discharge is observed after the surgical process of abortion
This method of abortion is the most dangerous, as well as characterized by an increased risk of various complications. After all, interventions in the female body in this case are more extensive than with other options. Surgical abortion is carried out in the case when the use of more benign methods is not possible. For example, there is no necessary equipment for carrying out keritage, or the duration of pregnancy is rather long.
Bloody discharge after an abortion performed by surgery, as a rule, lasts from 5 to 10 days. A very alarming signal is their rapid termination. This may be a symptom of a hematometer, which is the result of a spasm of the cervical canal. In this case, the danger is a large amount of blood accumulating in the uterus. If this symptom occurs, you should immediately seek medical attention.
In some cases, there is a reverse situation when abundant blood loss occurs, requiring urgent hospitalization. Such manifestations may be due to the fact that during an abortion, the ovum was not completely removed from the uterus, and its remnants interfere with the normal contraction of the vessel walls.
What to expect if you have had a medical abortion?
The discharge after an abortion performed in this way will most likely differ from those resulting from a surgical termination of pregnancy. This is due to the difference in the methods of removal of the ovum from the uterus. If, when scraping, it is removed in parts, then after taking the medicine, it should go out completely. Thus, the discharge after medical abortion may contain a light pink seal, which is the embryo. With this method of pregnancy termination, blood loss can last for quite a long time, gradually adopting a smearing pattern and sometimes turning into menstruation.
What kind of discharge is the norm after mini-abortion
This method of termination of pregnancy is also called "vacuum inspiration" and is carried out in the early stages using a special apparatus. Such an abortion is benign, since during its conduct the doctor does not perform curettage of the uterus, risking damage to it. However, the likelihood that part of the ovum remains, there is in this case. Therefore, if normal discharge after an abortion gives way to abundant bleeding, you should immediately visit a doctor.
Also in the first few weeks after this procedure, you need to take care of your own health: avoid physical exertion, hypothermia and stress, eat well, get enough sleep and monitor body temperature. In the event of the first signs of indisposition, you should immediately seek medical help.
What to do if there is no discharge after an abortion
If, as a result of the termination of pregnancy, you do not observe any bleeding in yourself, this does not mean that the procedure was very successful. On the contrary, most likely, blood clots for one reason or another can not get out of the uterus, filling it and thus being an excellent breeding ground for the development of dangerous microorganisms. Therefore, if you notice that there is no bleeding after an abortion, as well as increased body temperature, pain or other symptoms are present, you should immediately seek medical help.
How much are the allocation after the abortion
If the abortion was performed qualitatively and is not accompanied by any complications, the bleeding in the case of surgery should be stopped within five to ten days. After an abortion carried out in a medicamental manner, bleeding can be observed for a longer period of time, assuming a smearing character and smoothly turning into menstruation. If after these periods you still notice the presence of discharge, you should consult with the gynecologist without fail. Even if this process is not accompanied by any painful sensations.
Abortion secretions as a sign of infection
After termination of pregnancy, especially if this procedure was performed surgically, the immune system of the female body becomes weakened, which makes the body very sensitive to external influences. This condition is extremely favorable for the acquisition of new or the development of existing infectious diseases. The most dangerous period is the first month after an abortion. At this time, a woman should take care of her own health and listen carefully to the signals that her body gives.
Most often, complications occur 3-4 days after the abortion procedure. Therefore, if you notice that the discharge has acquired a yellow color or an unpleasant and sharp odor, then, most likely, an infection was introduced during the operation. In most cases, this condition is also accompanied by fever. If you have noticed at least one of the indicated symptoms, then in order to avoid complications it is recommended to immediately seek medical help. And it is not necessary to wait for the visiting hours at your gynecologist. It is best to call an ambulance right away, since you may need to be hospitalized immediately.
I would also like to note that infection in the process of abortion is not always the result of negligence or inadequate qualifications of the medical staff who performed the procedure. In most cases, the infection enters the cervix, which remains open for some time, later.
Dependence on factors
Termination of pregnancy is always a great stress for the female body.requiring a certain time to fully restore the uterus. What abdominal secretions usually occur? Поначалу кровь имеет алый, а немного позже коричневатый оттенок.
При нормально проходящем процессе восстановления объем крови не должен значительно превышать обычные месячные. Иногда в крови можно заметить небольшие сгустки, что также не является патологией.
How much time after an abortion does the discharge go? The duration and volume of bleeding depend on several factors.:
- the gestation period on which the abortion was performed will be more abundant when scraping over a long period of discharge,
- the state of the blood coagulation system of a woman
- age and general health of a woman
- the presence of gynecological diseases (polyps, fibroids),
- the number of previous abortions, repeated interruption of pregnancies is fraught with heavy bleeding,
- qualifications of the gynecologist and the conditions in which the operation was performed.
All of these indicators must be considered comprehensively.
What should be the allocation after abortion?
Bleeding of moderate intensity, with a small number of clots, having a light brown color is considered normal.. After 3-4 days of discharge, corresponding to the norm, acquire a less intense, smearing character. This indicates that the process of uterus recovery is successful and the discharge will soon cease. At the very end of the selection may change to light pink (blood).
To determine the intensity of discharge will help the number of required pads. If it smears after an abortion so that they have to be changed more often than once every 2-3 hours, we can talk about pathological secretions that require immediate medical attention.
If the dark discharge after an abortion persists for a long time, this may indicate the presence of a polyp in the uterus. You can not treat a polyp as a serious disease., its presence can cause pain in the lower abdomen and discomfort during intercourse.
Stinging brown discharge after an abortion with an unpleasant odor may be a sign of the development of endometriosis.
The disease must be treated, because it can cause problems with further childbearing and even lead to miscarriages.
A bad signal for the body is yellow discharge after an abortion. Usually they are accompanied by an unpleasant pungent smell. This phenomenon is characteristic of the defeat of the body streptococcal, staphylococcal infection, E. coli. Sometimes yellow discharge is a symptom of venereal diseases such as chlamydia and trichomoniasis.. For accurate diagnosis, you will need a smear for an infection in the genitals.
The most unpleasant symptom is purulent discharge. The most common cause of pus is trichomoniasis, a sexually transmitted disease.. Other possible causes include bacterial vaginosis, inflammation of the fallopian tubes and ovaries.
There is a high probability that the woman was infected before the abortion. But we can not exclude the likelihood of infection during an operation to abort pregnancy or during the period of rehabilitation with insufficient compliance by the woman with the rules of hygiene.
Many women are worried whether the rate of discharge after an abortion with mucus is normal. If the discharge mucus is light, with a faint odor, does not cause burning and itching and comes out in small quantities, this is not a pathology. Fears may cause mucous secretions smelling like rotten fish, green in color, frothy nature.. All these signs indicate inflammation, which only a doctor can diagnose.
No bleeding: causes
What to do if there is no discharge after an abortion? Should there be? Should I worry when the discharge after a termination of pregnancy is scarce or not observed at all?
Their complete absence is not something positive and should not set up a woman in a carefree way.
Rather it is condition indicates excessive accumulation of blood in the reproductive organ. Why is there no discharge after an abortion?
The reasons for this phenomenon may be:
- cervical spasm,
- polyp or tumor blocking the passage
- endometrial cancer,
- incomplete curettage of the uterus, in which endometrial particles blocked the cervical canal.
With this condition, you should immediately consult a doctor, otherwise in a week it will get worse. Self-medication or the use of untested folk remedies and dubious healer potions can lead to severe complications and is absolutely unacceptable.
The main complication after accumulation of blood as a result of curettage may be blood infection (sepsis). Perhaps the development of other inflammatory processes leading to infertility.
For accurate diagnosis of the pathology, the patient is sent for a gynecological examination, ultrasound of the pelvic organs is performed, hysteroscopy. Treatment must be made under the supervision of a physician. A woman is cleansing the uterus from accumulated blood with the help of drugs, for example, with Oxytocin.
Also requires the use of drugs that improve the contraction of the uterus. These include Ergotal, Ergotamine. Antispasmodics have a positive effect, relaxing muscles and promoting the removal of blood from the uterus (Papaverine, No-Spa), as well as a number of anti-inflammatory drugs.
Replacing the drug treatment of this pathology with homeopathy or herbal medicine will not bring positive results., therefore, is strictly contraindicated.
After the treatment, the woman should be especially attentive to her health, not to allow new abortions of pregnancy and to treat inflammatory diseases in time.
Although discharge after a surgical abortion is not a pathological process, a woman should carefully monitor their intensity and color to avoid health complications, both during the recovery period after abortion and later. Now you know what discharge should be after an abortion and how much they should go, we hope our article was useful for you.
In conclusion, we offer you a video about the discharge after scraping: