According to statistics, 90% of girls and women have sore breasts a week before menstruation. Many may not notice these pains or not pay attention to them because of the inexpressiveness of sensations, but for some they have a significant effect on the quality of life. Discomfort or pain in the chest area may not pose any health hazard, but sometimes accompany serious pathology. Therefore, it is necessary to navigate in each specific case: pain - a physiological phenomenon or manifestation of the disease.
If the sensations are new, and before this did not happen, consultation of a narrow specialist is necessary, who, if necessary, will prescribe adequate treatment.
Causes of breast pain a week before menstruation
Often the line between the norm and pathology is very small and it is not always possible to determine for yourself why a chest hurts a week before menstruation.
Mastodynia - chest pain a week before menstruation - a phenomenon caused by the proliferation of glandular and fatty cells of the mammary glands. It does not apply to pathology. Occurs as a result of physiological changes in the body: when a fully mature egg leaves the follicle, the production of estrogen increases (the body is preparing for pregnancy). They cause significant changes in the tissues of the mammary glands.
Causes of breast tenderness a week before menstruation - hormonal changes occurring in the body. The mammary gland is built from a variety of lobules. Each of them consists of glandular, connective and adipose tissues. Through the lobule passes the milk duct. Estrogens are localized in adipose tissue. With their increased formation significantly increases the amount of adipose tissue. Glandular tissue grows too - a preparation for lactation is underway. Under the influence of high levels of prolactin and progesterone, swelling and coarsening of the mammary gland occur, and therefore sensitivity increases and, as a result, pain occurs.
Stress and nerve overstrains often contribute to increased pain.
Each woman has a different intensity of pain. They last for a week or more - until the onset of menstruation, which for the body is a non-onset pregnancy. With the onset of menstrual pain ceases. Atrophy of the overgrown glandular tissue occurs until the next menstrual period, which causes a complete cessation of pain.
Pain, in addition to intensity, may be different in localization. Since the asymmetry of the mammary glands is considered the physiological norm (this is an individual phenomenon), a woman may also have more pain in one of the glands. For example, due to the fact that the right mammary gland is slightly larger than the left one, irritation of the endings of the nerve receptors of the right breast may be more pronounced and, accordingly, hormonal changes may hurt the right right more.
It should be noted that in the absence of comorbidities, pain is usually mild and may not cause any discomfort. With a balanced hormonal background, the pain is minimal.
Some women have low sensitivity of the mammary glands, and then all the processes occurring in the glands before menstruation (compaction, proliferation and atrophy of tissues or rush of blood to the breast) do not cause any unpleasant sensations. In such cases, the pain does not appear, mastodynia does not develop.
The vast majority of girls and women have a sore chest a week before menstruation at the same time as the lower abdomen.
Causes of chest pain in the absence of menstruation
It happens that the pain in the chest bother and in the absence of menstruation. It is necessary to immediately understand why this is happening. The most likely causes are:
• it can be a stretching of the muscles after physical exertion (weight lifting, possibly training),
• pregnancy, including ectopic,
• mastopathy, which affects more than 70% of women - the proliferation of connective tissue of the mammary glands with the formation of seals (diffuse, nodular or mixed), is associated with hormonal disorders,
• chest changes, inflammatory processes (pneumonia), osteochondrosis,
• past injuries or chest surgery,
• some drugs (in particular, antidepressants, diuretics, steroid drugs),
• endocrine pathology - various diseases of the thyroid gland.
Hereditary predisposition, overeating, obesity, long-term oral contraceptives also plays a role.
Self-examination and mandatory diagnosis
In order not to miss a serious pathology and not to delay the terms of treatment, in addition to preventive visits to the gynecologist and mammologist, you need to examine the mammary glands independently at least once a month.
The procedure is as follows:
alternately picking up the chest from below with a hand, gently freeze the fingers of the free hand from the base to the nipple to palpate the gland.
In case of detection of seals or pathological discharge from the nipples, it is necessary to contact a mammologist. In the absence of changes, but continuing pain, you need to contact a gynecologist. In each individual case, an appropriate examination is appointed and, if necessary, treatment. Common to all methods of dealing with this problem does not exist.
Mandatory examinations are:
• determination of thyroid hormones and blood test for prolactin,
• blood test for tumor markers (determined by the risk of cancer),
• Ultrasound of the uterus with appendages
• Ultrasound of the mammary glands.
How to reduce pain
To reduce pain or discomfort in the chest, comprehensive measures should be taken. If, after the examination, it turns out that there is no pathology, hormonal imbalance and any tumors, the treatment of mastodynia consists in maintaining the water - salt balance and in regularizing physical exertion.
You need to start with dieting. It includes:
• restriction of liquid, salty and fatty foods,
• refusal or significant reduction in the use of strong tea, coffee, alcohol,
• rejection of tight, squeezing clothes and linen.
Drug treatment in the second half of the cycle (only prescribed by a doctor):
• if the pain does not go away for a long time, vitamin complexes with a high content of magnesium or magnesium preparations will help,
• hormonal contraceptives,
• drugs that reduce the production of prolactin - the female sex hormone,
• herbal medicines that prevent the development of mastodynia,
• painkillers to relieve severe pain,
• in the presence of a suppurative focus, antibacterial agents are used,
• herbal preparations with anti-inflammatory and soothing effects.
Tumors, cysts and other formations are treated surgically.
Thus, cyclic proliferation, consisting of alternating growths and atrophy of the tissues of the mammary glands throughout the entire menstrual cycle, is a physiological process and is the norm for any woman of childbearing age.
To prevent the occurrence of chest pain a week before the onset of menstruation, it is necessary to eliminate stress, nerve loads, hypothermia, be attentive to your feelings. You need to find enough time for a good rest and sleep. And it is important: not to self-medicate, but to consult a doctor in time for professional advice.
The main volume of the female breast is the breast. Interlayers of connective tissue divide it into lobes, and the latter consist of smaller segments. And those, in turn, are formed from the glands proper - the secretory alveoli with the excretory duct (tubule). The milky ducts open into the wide sinuses, which end in the nipple.
Breast function is entirely dependent on the regulatory effects of hormones. The main role in this process is played by the ovaries and pituitary gland. Estrogen stimulation promotes the growth of ducts and stromal elements, and progesterone increases the number of alveoli and the size of the lobules. The important role of prolactin is the formation of additional receptors for these hormones in the gland tissue and the stimulation of lactation.
The menstrual cycle normally lasts from 22 to 34 days and consists of two main phases: follicular and luteal. But ovulation separates them - the rupture of the dominant follicle and the release of the egg, which occurs on average for 14 days. This approach to this point is accompanied by a significant increase in the body of sex hormones, especially estrogen, which begins to increase immediately after the end of menstruation. And after ovulation and progesterone gradually reaches its peak.
Causes and mechanisms
If before the menstrual chest fell ill, then you need to deal with possible causes. Unpleasant sensations in the gland can also occur normally - this is a consequence of the hormonal adjustment of the body and its preparation for a possible pregnancy. But physiological is only the so-called engorgement of the chest with increased sensitivity and a slight bursting, but without any pain. Otherwise, you need to look for another reason for the changes.
When chest pains are associated with the expectation of menstruation, several common conditions among women can be assumed:
- Premenstrual syndrome.
- Hormonal disruptions.
The latter can occur under the influence of numerous external factors: physical or neuropsychic overload, climate change, medication, irregular sex life. In addition, hormonal dysfunction is a frequent consequence of endocrine pathology, inflammatory diseases of the gynecological sphere, operations or injuries.
There is also a situation where the chest hurts, and all the menstrual periods do not occur - a month or two has already passed since the last discharge. This may be due to pregnancy (normal, ectopic), postpartum and lactation, postponed abortion. And painful sensations without a special connection with the menstrual cycle are observed in mastitis and oncological diseases. The risk of the latter should be carefully evaluated by the doctor during the examination of the patient.
Chest can hurt for various reasons. As a rule, they are associated with hormonal influences, but other factors cannot be ruled out.
Any symptom disturbing a woman is analyzed during a medical examination. First, all complaints are clarified with their subsequent detailing, and then proceed to the examination - clinical and gynecological. Be sure to determine the subjective color and objective characteristics of chest pain:
- Bursting, shooting, aching, pulling.
- Periodic or permanent.
- Moderate, weak or intense.
- Occur in 1-3 weeks before menstruation or without communication with the cycle.
- Disappear independently (with the arrival of menstruation) or require external intervention.
But, in addition, you need to pay attention to other signs that can provide significant support in the diagnosis. To identify them, you need to navigate the clinical picture of those conditions in which most often a woman can ache a little chest.
If your chest hurts a week before menstruation with an unchanged cycle, then you should think about premenstrual syndrome, because this condition is characteristic of three out of four young women. It is associated with an imbalance in the neurohumoral regulation and is manifested by the following main symptoms:
- Increased swelling of the body.
- Excessive engorgement of the mammary glands.
- Numbness of the arms and legs.
- Nausea and even vomiting.
- Abdominal pain, bloating.
- Relaxed stools or constipation.
An essential component of the clinical picture, in addition to somatic manifestations, are neuropsychiatric disorders: irritability, depressed mood, anxiety, insomnia, increased sensitivity to sounds and smells.
Premenstrual syndrome is characterized by cyclicality and occurs only in the luteal (second) phase - a few days or 1-2 weeks before the onset of menstruation.
Mastopathy refers to pathological conditions that are benign in nature, but must nevertheless be detected in time. This disease is associated with the growth of gland tissue - diffuse or nodular - which is accompanied by the formation of fibrous areas and cysts. And in the clinical picture the following symptoms prevail:
- Breast soreness.
- Gland engorgement before menstruation.
- Discharge from the nipples with pressure.
On palpation, small nodules can be found - soft and not soldered to the surrounding tissues, with clear contours. But if the proliferation of the glandular epithelium has a pronounced degree, then the risk of malignant tumors increases by almost a third. Therefore, every woman with mastopathy should be regularly examined.
It should be noted that pain and engorgement of the breast may indicate pregnancy has begun. This is so with only one condition: a woman notes a delay in menstruation after a previously performed sexual intercourse. Signs of physiological pregnancy, probably, are known to many, but ectopic should be discussed in more detail. In this case, the embryo develops outside the "children's site". At first, the body perceives it as a normal pregnancy, because the same hormonal changes occur.
But at a certain point it becomes clear that something is going wrong. The fallopian tube, in which the fertilized egg grows, begins to stretch, which leads to the appearance of other symptoms:
- Pain in the lower abdomen, in the groin and sacrum.
- Bloody vaginal discharge.
- The deterioration of the general condition.
The latter is observed when the fallopian tube is broken - then internal bleeding is observed, signs of peritoneal irritation appear. With delayed treatment, of course, there is a high risk for women.
With painful sensations in the chest, it is worth thinking about a possible pregnancy - physiological or ectopic.
Inflammation of the breast will also be accompanied by pain. Sometimes it becomes pronounced and almost permanent. There will be no connection with the menstrual cycle, but other signs will appear:
- Redness of the skin - local or diffuse.
- Swelling of the gland tissue.
- Discharge from the nipples - turbid, greenish-yellow.
- Increased body temperature.
The skin of the diseased gland is often tense, and the breast itself increases in size due to edema. Purulent process can have a confused character - in the form of an abscess. Then a compaction (infiltration) is formed on a certain area, which further softens and fluctuates (with palpation, the oscillation of the liquid is felt). Then the woman's condition worsens even more, and if left untreated, the ulcer breaks out to form a fistula or, worse, spreads to other tissues and enters the blood.
Any changes in the breast should alert the woman and bring to the doctor. And it is no coincidence, because recently the prevalence of cancer pathology, in particular breast cancer, is increasing. It manifests itself in different ways, but should especially alert the following symptoms:
- Dense knot in the thickness of gland, soldered to surrounding tissues.
- Skin changes: redness, ulcers, wrinkles, "lemon peel".
- Discharge from the nipples, especially bloody.
- Pulling, flattening the nipple.
- Gland deformity.
- Enlarged axillary lymph nodes.
In the early stages, the tumor can proceed without any subjective sensations, but, by destroying the neighboring tissues, it later becomes the cause of pain. And in advanced cases, the cancer metastasizes to distant organs.
Situations where the chest hurts 2 weeks before menstruation or at another time, sometimes not related to the cycle, require additional diagnostics. In addition to medical examination, laboratory and instrumental studies are needed, clarifying the nature of the process in the gland. These include:
- Blood biochemistry (hormonal spectrum, tumor markers).
- Analysis of discharge from the nipple (clinical, bacteriological, atypical cells).
- CT scan.
For purulent mastitis, a complete blood count is also performed, which reveals signs of an inflammatory process: increased leukocytes and ESR. Women should be examined by a gynecologist, and if necessary, appropriate examination to exclude concomitant pathology of the genital organs. And only after a complete diagnosis can be concluded about the causes of chest pain and the methods necessary to eliminate it.
Why chest pain before menstruation
Sometimes a woman in any of the periods of the menstrual cycle can hurt the chest.
This sign is expressed in the appearance of puffiness and swelling of the breast tissue. Pain syndrome is accompanied by aching, stitching, or dull pain.
In medicine, this clinical manifestation is called mastalgia, and its intensity depends on the provoking factor and the individual characteristics of the organism. Поэтому у некоторых женщин грудь болит сильно, а у других альгезия практически не мешает привычной жизни.
Грудь начинает болеть в результате таких провоцирующих факторов:
- ovulatory period
- hormonal disbalance,
- pathological reasons
- other provoking factors.
It is because of these reasons that a woman has a chest pain for a week, two or three months before the start of menstruation, and her overall health worsens.
Two weeks after menstruation in the middle of the menstrual cycle, ovulation begins. It is characterized by the release of a ripe egg from the ovary for further fertilization.
In this case, such a process involves preparing for a possible pregnancy. At this time, after the release of the egg, hormonal changes occur, resulting in the proliferation of glandular tissue and an increase in the milk ducts. Such swelling affects the pain receptors and, in this connection, the woman feels that she has a chest pain.
Besides the fact that the chest hurts, there can be such symptoms:
- pulling pains in the abdomen,
- mood variability
- increase sexual attraction, etc.
Also, such a sign serves as a kind of signal about a successful period for conceiving a child.
In some cases, the chest hurts for functional reasons. In this case, the pain is non-cyclical and is not associated with physiological changes in the body.
Such a pain syndrome can disturb a woman on any day of the menstrual period, i.e. it can occur in a week, or two, and three before the onset of menstruation.
In this case, the following factors may be provoking factors:
- Infectious and inflammatory processes in the body.
- Mechanical injuries of the mammary glands.
- Mastopathy, in which a lump is observed in the breast, and its soreness manifests itself after a certain period after ovulation.
- Diseases in the urogenital and respiratory system, disorders of the musculoskeletal system.
- Malignant neoplasms, which lead to the growth of metastases and the occurrence of pain.
- In rare cases, the chest hurts with fibroadenomas.
If you notice that your chest has started to hurt, and at the same time, in addition to this symptom, there are still other signs, you should immediately consult a doctor for diagnosis and timely elimination of the pathological disorder.
Other provoking factors
Unfortunately, the main provocative factor, when a few days before the onset of menstruation begins to hurt the chest, is premenstrual syndrome or hormonal imbalance caused by such reasons:
- frequent overeating,
- thin nerves and depression
- alcohol abuse and smoking,
- medication, for example, steroids, antidepressants, diuretics,
- as a result of the beginning of menopause,
- long-term oral contraceptive use
- genetic predisposition
- the presence of genital infections
- excessive physical activity
- poor nutrition and failure to comply with the daily regimen.
Also to the possible provoking factors of pain in the mammary glands include:
- wearing a close bra, corset, etc., as a result of which there is a compression of the tissues and its swelling,
- after increased physical exertion, the chest may ache due to tension in the pectoral muscles.
In such cases, mastalgia does not appear in every menstrual cycle and may have a single character of occurrence. To prevent the development of pain, you need to try to normalize your diet, the day regimen and, if possible, eliminate other causes that can cause hormonal failure and pain in the mammary glands.
As mentioned above, some women have chest pains after menstruation or a few weeks before they start.
The severity of pain may be different, and in addition to pain, a woman may experience the following symptoms:
- nipples become sensitive to touch, rubbing of clothes or changes in ambient temperature,
- after any impact on the nipples, a sensation of burning sensation may occur,
- after a certain period after an increase in the size of the mammary glands inside, there is a bulging and pressure.
Above it was described the physiological manifestation of pain.
Immediate visits to the doctor require the appearance of such signs:
- there are discharge from the nipples of different nature of origin (they may be bloody, white or transparent),
- chest pains are pronounced and their intensity only increases every day,
- with the feeling of the mammary glands, some dense lumps are noticed,
- body temperature rises
- other warning signs appear.
How can I ease the pain
Pain in the mammary glands can somewhat interfere with the usual way of life and thus deliver a lot of trouble. In such a situation, you must remain calm and take all possible options to alleviate the pain.
In this case, you can advise such recommendations, if the nature of the pain is due to physiological reasons and is not associated with functional impairment in the body:
- A contrast shower helps to relieve the severity of the pain syndrome, and a hot bath - to relax, relieve muscle and nervous tension.
- Since hormonal imbalance is associated with stress, one should avoid provoking nervous factors and pay attention to your rest as much as possible.
- When chest pains should avoid lace bras and other tight clothes. Preference should be given to natural free options, and the bra should be supportive with adjustable straps.
- If the pain is most pronounced, you can take an anesthetic drug.
- Sharp and salty foods should be excluded from the diet. Eat better fruits and vegetables, which contain the greatest amount of vitamins.
- If algesia appears in each menstrual cycle, the doctor may prescribe hormonal drugs to normalize the hormonal background of the woman.
Every woman is an individual, and if some do not know what pain in the mammary glands is before menstruation, then others are very much affected by such clinical symptoms. This affects her well-being and habitual way of life. However, with the physiological course of pain it is worth less to pay attention to a similar symptom, and try to relax more and walk in the fresh air.
What to do?
If there are any changes in the breast that are different from those that occur normally every month, the woman should first self-examine. How to inspect and feel the chest:
- Inspect the inside of the bra for spots that indicate nipple discharge.
- Examine the nipples and areola and make sure that there are no redness, rash, peeling, retraction, ulceration or other pathologies.
- Expose above the belt and stand in front of the mirror. Raise both hands behind the head, pay attention to the shape of the mammary glands. The chest should not have abnormal bumps, indentations, areas resembling an "orange peel". Irregular skin color is also considered abnormal.
- Lie on your back, put a small roller under the scapula on the left side. Feel the left breast with the pads of the fingers of the left and 3-4 phalanges of the right hand. Fingers should fit snugly to the chest, movements - circular. Examine the centimeter by centimeter mammary gland for seals. Pay attention to the areas that touch causes pain. Transfer the roller under the right shoulder blade and examine the second mammary gland.
Self-examination should be carried out once a month for 7-10 days from the start of menstruation. If menstruation is irregular or absent due to menopause, lactation or pregnancy, the procedure can be carried out at any time when breast engorgement is not observed.
How to reduce breast tenderness?
Chest can hurt in different ways. Usually before menstruation swelling of the mammary glands is observed, nipple sensitivity increases. Some women even like it. If the symptoms are pronounced and cause discomfort, you should listen to the following tips:
- Choose a comfortable bra. Properly chosen bra will help minimize discomfort. It is necessary to give preference to models of sports type, without stones and seams. The fabric adjacent to the chest must be natural. A bra should firmly hold the breast, but at the same time not rub and squeeze the mammary glands.
- Correct fluid intake, drink diuretic decoctions, green tea. If before menstruation the chest not only hurts, but also swells, you should pay attention to drinking. During the day should drink no more than 1.5 liters of water. In addition, it is recommended to drink green tea, broth hips, corn stigmas. Consumption of coffee and alcohol should be eliminated or reduced to a minimum.
- Watch your diet. To breast was less sensitive, you should increase the consumption of vegetables, fruits, dairy products, fish, cereals. It is not recommended to eat a lot of sweets, bakery products, meat, drink milk, beer.
- Get enough sleep. During sleep, the body is restored, hormone levels are regulated. In chronic sleep deprivation, everything happens exactly the opposite, defenses are depleted, stress hormones and prolactin, which can cause breast soreness and nipple discharge, begin to be released into the blood. You need to sleep at least 8 hours, while it is recommended to go to bed no later than 11 pm.
- Do not overdo it. Try to avoid heavy physical exertion. If hard work forces work, take short breaks every hour. From sports loads, prefer swimming, dancing, cycling, and walking.
- Avoid stress. Try to avoid conflicts, less worry about tomorrow. If you feel that you are very angry, drink tea with chamomile and mint, think about something pleasant, get distracted.
- Maintain a regular sex life. Lack of sex or irregular sex have a tangible effect on the balance of hormones in a woman's body.
- Drink magnesium and vitamin B6. A deficiency of these beneficial substances leads to an increase in the unpleasant symptoms of PMS. Before taking the pills should always consult with your doctor.
If your chest hurts badly, you can drink any anesthetic (Paracetamol, Analgin, Ketanov), use an ointment with anesthetic ingredients (Prozhozhel, Mastofit, Arnica, Traumel C). It is also possible to apply compresses with camphor oil, magnesia (magnesium sulfate), honey, cabbage leaves to the sore chest.
For breast augmentation without surgery, our readers successfully use the Helena Strizh Method. Having carefully studied this method, we decided to offer it to your attention. Read more.
When do I need to see a doctor?
Seeing a doctor requires any acute pain, forcing to take painkillers. In addition, a woman should alert these symptoms:
- breast soreness due to the absence or delay of menstruation,
- any discharge from the nipple (purulent, transparent, colostrum, bloody),
- increased pain in the mammary gland,
- increased body temperature
- pain and swelling in only one breast,
- changing the shape of the breast, nipple,
- unstable menstrual cycle
- bumps or pits on the skin, discoloration of the chest or areola.
If any of the signs appear, you should be examined by a gynecologist or a mammologist to rule out the development of pathology.
Diagnosis and treatment
To reliably figure out why two weeks before menstruation hurts chest, a woman should be examined. Required studies and analyzes:
- Breast ultrasound in the early days of the menstrual cycle,
- mammography (x-ray examination of the breast),
- hormone analysis estradiol, progesterone, prolactin, as well as thyroid stimulating hormone, thyroxin, triiodothyronine, glucocorticoids, insulin, placental lactogen, according to indications,
- biopsy and histological examination of tissue in the presence of compaction.
Only after the diagnosis is made, the woman will be prescribed treatment. Each case is individual and a single therapeutic scheme does not exist. So, for pain in the chest due to dysfunction of hormone-producing organs, women are prescribed hormones, vitamins, iodine, magnesium, and other dietary supplements. If symptoms are caused by an infection, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory drugs are used.
In some cases, unfortunately, can not do without the help of a surgeon. Surgical intervention is required when large cysts or malignant tumors are found in the mammary glands. At the initial stages of development of fibrocystic mastopathy, doctors recommend that a woman become pregnant. A natural increase in progesterone levels during pregnancy favorably affects the course of the disease and even leads to a complete cure.
If a woman suspects that breast tenderness is caused by pregnancy, then it is important to exclude ectopic attachment of the fetus. After the pregnancy test shows 2 strips, you should visit the doctor, take a blood test for hCG and undergo an ultrasound.
The body of each woman is individual. For some, fluctuations in hormones during the menstrual cycle are completely unnoticeable and have no effect on the chest. However, the majority of women, especially with an impressive breast size, with the beginning of the ovulation period, swell the breasts and increase the sensitivity of the nipples. Such symptoms may have both a physiological and pathological explanation. To establish the exact cause of pain, you should consult with a breast specialist. For prophylactic purposes, this specialist should be visited once a year, and after 40 years, it is recommended to have an additional mammogram every year and get tested for hormones.
Causes of the phenomenon
Chest metamorphosis in phase 2 of the menstrual cycle, that is, after ovulation, is associated with the main function of the female breast - feeding the child. After the maturation of the egg in the female reproductive system begins hormonal adjustment, aimed at preparing for pregnancy. The fact that the chest hurts 2 weeks before menstruation may be a consequence of the growth of breast tissue, which directly depends on the influence of the hormone estrogen produced by the ovaries in large numbers before and during ovulation and progesterone hormone, which affects the size of the lobes of the breast.
The hormone prolactin, vigorously secreted by the pituitary gland during this period, also stimulates an increase in the number of lobules and ducts of the glands and increases the maturation and secretion of colostrum. Therefore, in some women, the mammary glands hurt a few days before menstruation, and a drop of clear or whitish fluid can be released from the chest when pressing on the nipple, which is a normal variant, but requires observation by a breast doctor. These changes in the mammary gland should not cause significant discomfort or severe pain. Only an increase in sensitivity, swelling and tension in the chest, its slight increase or feeling of distention can be observed. In this case, the norm is considered when the sensations in both breasts are the same. After the onset of menstruation, discomfort and tension disappear due to a decrease in the level of hormones.
Other etiology factors
Leaps in the level of hormones, increased neuropsychological sensitivity of a woman, physical stress flow into the premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and chest pain may be associated with it. Unreasonable irritation, fatigue can be combined not only with discomfort and pain in the chest, but also aching, pulling pain in the lower abdomen. Such symptoms are especially pronounced 2-3 days before the beginning of menstruation. If the chest hurts 10 days before menstruation, two weeks later, menstruation does not occur, and the chest hurts and continues to hurt, we can assume the beginning of pregnancy. When, after a week after the onset of suspected menstruation, an increase in temperature joins nausea and vomiting, an ectopic pregnancy is not excluded.
If a woman noticed any changes in her breasts that are different from those that occur normally every month, or she is hurt when you touch her, you need to carefully examine and test your breasts. If you have doubts, it is necessary to be examined by a gynecologist or a mammologist, since the pain syndrome associated with a certain phase of the menstrual cycle may indicate the development of pathology:
- Fibrocystic mastopathy often becomes a result of hormonal disorders in the body and gynecological diseases. The hereditary factor also plays a role in the development of pathology. Mastopathy manifests itself with chest pain and occurs even in young girls, and in women older than 30 years, this pathology develops quite often. Fibrocystic mastopathy is characterized by small seals of a benign nature or small formations inside the breast. Breast soreness usually increases 5-7 days before the beginning of menstruation and discharge from the nipples is possible: yellowish or whitish. Ultrasound of the mammary glands will help identify changes in them in time and prevent the risk of complications (malignant tumors). The presence of such a pathology as mastopathy, implies continued monitoring by a mammologist.
- Гормональные нарушения, связанные с работой эндокринной системы, могут стать причиной боли в груди. At the same time, pain is combined with other signs of diseases such as diabetes and adrenal dysfunction. Consultation with a treating endocrinologist is recommended.
- Inflammatory processes in the genitals can be accompanied by tenderness in the mammary glands, especially in the premenstrual period. Therefore, together with an ultrasound of the mammary glands, an ultrasound of the ovaries and uterus is mandatory.
- Galactocele is a fatty cyst that can occur during or after the lactation period. Pain in the presence of such a cyst occurs when palpating, has a pulling and jerking nature and increases several days or a week before menstruation. With a broken hormonal background, the pathology progresses.
Abortions, neglected forms of menstrual disorders, uncontrolled and prolonged use of oral contraceptives, failure to breastfeed, promiscuous sex, alcohol abuse and smoking, as well as an incomplete or unbalanced diet increase the risk of developing pathological changes not only in the female breast, but also in the entire reproductive system.
Diagnosis and treatment
Timely examination allows us to limit the medical treatment of the above disorders. Hormone therapy, medications containing magnesium, medicinal compresses, herbal preparations, as well as anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agents for treating the causes of the pathology, are effective, but are prescribed strictly on an individual basis. Self-treatment is unacceptable at any stage of the revealed violations because it can aggravate the situation. Thus, it would seem that the innocent homeopathic herbal drug Mastodinon may in one woman contribute to the resorption of small fibrocystic formations, in another to help in the treatment of infertility caused by insufficiency of the yellow body, and in the third to provoke a merger of 2 small cysts that are in the chest, in 1 large cyst. Therefore, experimenting with your health is not worth it.
If more serious disorders in the mammary glands (mastitis, tumors) and the chest are suspected, additional studies are conducted - mammography, biochemical blood tests, analysis of nipple secretions, biopsy and computed tomography.
A woman who is the owner of a sufficiently developed or large bust needs to take care of the health of her breasts more than the rest. Despite the fact that mastopathy affects more than 60% of women who have reached the age of 35-40 years old, it is possible to reduce the likelihood of becoming ill with the help of certain rules. It is necessary to limit excessive consumption of coffee, salted foods and animal fats, use a comfortable bra made of natural materials with adjustable straps, avoid stressful situations and overcooling of the body, correct any violations in the female genital system in a timely manner, and lead an active lifestyle without excessive physical exertion.
The main causes of the phenomenon
Before menstruation, the breasts swell a little, it feels heaviness and slight pain, which has the scientific name “mastodynia”. The state of the female breast throughout life is influenced by such physiological processes as the period of growing up, pregnancy, lactation, menstruation. In the mammary glands, the amount of hormones varies depending on the processes inside the female body, as well as on external factors, which affects the well-being of the woman.
At about the 11th or 15th day of the cycle, hormone levels increase significantly. This leads to pain 2 weeks before menstruation. The condition is associated with ovulation and the readiness of the woman to fertilize, in the absence of which all changes are leveled. But the chest can hurt even three weeks before the onset of menstruation for many reasons.
The proliferation of glandular tissue in the breast due to the work of female hormones is also a cause of pain. Before menstruation during ovulation, progesterone production increases, which leads to discomfort. Not all girls and women have such a hormone soreness, and with it a changeable mood and emotional outbursts. The cause of such changes can also be menopause in women after 45 years.
Chest pains appear not only two or three weeks before menstruation, but also in girls without a menstrual cycle. In the period of maturation in the children's body, a lot of dramatic changes occur. The hormonal background is changing, and with it future women feel discomfort in the chest. In addition to pain, slight swelling, swelling is possible.
If the monthly has not come, and the chest continues to hurt, there is reason to think about passing a pregnancy test. Due to the fact that the body is preparing to feed the future baby, an increased level of hormones directly affects the state of the breast. In a pregnant woman, changes in the mammary gland begin to occur already three weeks before the expected period, when she still does not know about her condition.
In cases where a new menstrual cycle does not begin, and chest pain is accompanied by nausea, vomiting, or high fever, an ectopic pregnancy is not excluded. At an early stage, women may have breast tenderness, swelling, as well as drowsiness, fatigue, and dizziness. The symptoms depend on what week of the pregnancy is coming.
Abortion and chest pain
Abortion for a woman is an unnatural condition, because the breast also reacts to it with painful sensations. Due to such interference in the development of the fetus hormonal balance is disturbed, and the mammary glands stop preparing for future lactation.
Any abortion causes drastic changes in the body, which take time to recover.
Miscarriage also leads to a similar situation, and the symptoms depend on the individual characteristics of the woman. The mammary gland is no longer increasing, there is a failure at the hormonal level, and this hurts the chest. If a miscarriage happened in the second trimester or later, when all the necessary processes have passed in the gland tissues, it is quite difficult to eliminate the pain. To do this, a woman takes medication, because in the later periods most often there is already lactation, which must be urgently stopped.
When to see a doctor
Specialist assistance will be needed if, at the same time as breast pain, a woman complains of the following symptoms:
- any seal in the chest or in the armpits,
- nipple fluid
- temperature rise,
- nausea and vomiting.
Any of these signs is a reason for referring to a mammologist or gynecologist. To make an accurate diagnosis, the doctor will prescribe an ultrasound examination of the glands and organs of the small pelvis, a blood test for tumor markers, and a check for hormone levels. Even the smallest nodes in the breast are clearly visible through mammography. If a malignant process is suspected,
The patient is prescribed a biopsy. In addition to ultrasound, MRI of the mammary glands is successfully performed.
How to relieve pain
Treatment of chest pains appearing at different periods of the menstrual cycle depends on the causes of its occurrence. If the discomfort is disturbed not for a whole month, but only immediately before the menstrual period, then it is necessary at this time to adhere to proper nutrition and drinking regime. You can not abuse alcohol, cigarettes, spicy and fatty foods. It is better to limit the wearing of a bra to relieve discomfort and prevent puffiness.
Premenstrual pains usually disappear two or three days before the onset of menstruation, but if they do not leave a woman for a long time, hormonal preparations or vitamin complexes, many of which contain an increased amount of magnesium, will correct the situation. Such treatment is used for PMS or pain during ovulation.
If there is a purulent infection in the chest, you can not do without antibiotic therapy. In advanced cases, the pills may not help, then you have to resort to surgery. Tumors, cysts and other structures are also surgically removed.
Various compresses are applied to the affected breast, the recipes of which are taken from traditional medicine. Herbal preparations of chamomile, nettle, dandelion well help reduce acute symptoms. Severe pain is relieved by analgesics. It should be remembered that unexpressed discomfort does not always mean a norm, so you need to be attentive to any changes in women's health.