After 45 years, women enter a new period of life - menopause. Climax causes many changes in the body, and not all of them are pleasant. In particular, there is a strong thinning of hair (trichores) or even baldness. However, with the right approach, this process can be stopped. Timely treatment, proper care and correction of lifestyle will allow you to maintain a beautiful thick hair to a very old age. Consider why there is a problem, how it can be prevented and eliminated.
Causes of violation
Many ladies ask themselves if hair can fall out during menopause. Practice has shown that during menopause there are really processes that lead to trichorrhea. Violation occurs due to changes in hormonal levels.
In the child-bearing age, the female hormone, estrogen, prevails in the body. When menopause occurs, its level drops sharply. And testosterone - the male hormone - on the contrary, is produced more actively, which is why baldness can occur.
However, there may be other causes of loss:
- constant stress and exhaustion,
- disruption of the thyroid gland, adrenal glands and hypothalamus,
- long-term use of some drugs,
- trichomycosis (fungal disease of the scalp),
- serious chronic and acute diseases,
Improper care of hair, poor diet and bad habits (smoking, drinking) also provoke alopecia.
Ways to fix the problem
How to stop hair loss during menopause, the doctor decides. Immediately, only you notice the intense loss of the strands, you should contact the trichologist or gynecologist-endocrinologist. A specialist will assign you a series of tests that will identify the root cause of the problem. Without its elimination to return the hairstyle thickness will not work.
Therapy is selected individually, depending on the needs of the body of a particular patient. It should be comprehensive and aimed at restoring hair and maintaining normal vital activity of the follicles that remain.
If hair loss in older women is associated with impaired hormone production, replacement therapy is prescribed. This means that treatment will need to be drugs that are substitutes for estrogen. When it is artificially introduced, the normal functioning of the follicle is restored.
Other remedies may also be assigned to fix the problem:
Phytoestrogens. The substances of plant origin, which are identical to the hormones produced in the female body. They have a similar mechanism of action with endogenous-type estrogens, therefore they are often used to treat alopecia and trichores. Despite the natural composition, these drugs are used only under the supervision of a physician.
- Vitamins and minerals. If the production of estrogen does not fall much, then stop the loss can be with the help of vitamin-mineral complexes. The most useful for the hair will be such substances: magnesium, iron, phosphorus, vitamins A, E, D3, C and the whole group B.
- Minoxidil. A drug for topical treatment that irritates the scalp. It activates blood circulation, starts the metabolism in the follicles, which leads to hair growth and slows down their loss.
- Funds with furokomarinom. The substance is aimed at increasing the sensitivity of the dermis to ultraviolet rays. It leads to the acceleration of blood circulation and metabolic processes, strengthening the roots and launching the growth of new strands.
Any means you must appoint a doctor. He also calculates the dosage of drugs and the duration of their use.
It is impossible to treat falling out without consultation with a specialist in any case, otherwise you will only aggravate the problem. With the right approach, the violation is eliminated after 2-3 months of therapy.
As ancillary drugs, you can use traditional medicine. They will support the health of the remaining hair follicles and wake those who are in a dormant state.
To activate the follicles will help irritating substances:
- mustard powder,
- hot peppers,
- alcoholic herbal infusions
- strong alcohol (vodka, rum, brandy).
However, keep in mind that these substances give a drying effect. They should be applied only on the scalp and roots, and the length and tips are best treated with base oils of ylang-ylang, cedar, olive, apricot and peach seed, coconut, avocado, etc.
To improve the therapeutic effect, natural masks are kept under a plastic cap and a towel.
Nutrition and Lifestyle
A woman should take care of her health from an early age so that when she enters menopause she should not think in panic what to do with changes in her body. Scientists have shown that if in youth there is a tendency to lose curls, then most likely they will fall out during menopause.
Normalize the state of the whole body and increase the density of the hair will help you proper nutrition. In the diet should be a minimum of heavy, fatty and high-carbohydrate foods.
Give preference to fresh vegetables, herbs, nuts, fruits and dairy products. Limit strong coffee and tea.
Also adjust your lifestyle:
- Get enough sleep. For a good rest a person needs 6-8 hours of night sleep.
- Spend more time outdoors. Saturation of the body with oxygen has a beneficial effect on metabolism and the nervous system.
- Control weight. Extra pounds can lead to disruption of metabolic processes and thinning of hair.
- Avoid stressful situations. Strong emotional experiences negatively affect the work of the immune, endocrine and other systems.
- Do sports. Feedback from women confirms that moderate physical activity makes it easier to survive menopause and minimize its negative effects on the psyche and the body.
Get rid of bad habits - smoking and alcohol abuse make us old. In old age, bad habits act several times faster, since the protective functions of the body decrease, and it is unable to remove all toxins.
Subtleties of care
If in your youth you didn’t pay much attention to the curls and didn’t worry about it, you need to reconsider your attitude during the menopause period. Hairs can even fall out of the wrong brushing, as they are very weak and prone to damage. Careful care will preserve the density of the hair.
Follow these simple rules:
- Choose the right shampoo and conditioner for your type of hair. Pay attention to sulfate-free remedies - they do not irritate the scalp and do not cause side effects.
- Use only ammonia free colorants. Even a large percentage of gray hair can be disguised with safe compounds, they should contain no more than 3% hydrogen peroxide.
- Discard the hot styling. Hair dryers, curling or leveling tongs and even curlers should be set aside in the far drawer. These devices strongly dry hair, making them fragile and prone to loss.
- Properly use cosmetics. Apply styling at a minimum, it is desirable that they do not have alcohol, which dries the skin and strands. Apply protective agents to your hair, especially in summer and winter.
Also avoid contact of hair with chlorinated water. When washing it is better to use filtered or boiled water.
Climax - a rather difficult period for women. At this time, the whole body begins to "rebel" and signs of rapid aging appear. A timely examination by the doctor, a balanced diet and a correct lifestyle will help to cope with violations and preserve the beauty of the curls.
An integrated approach to eliminating the loss of strands will be the key to preserving their density and health for many years.
Why do menopause problems with hair
All processes occurring in a woman’s body during menopause (usually from 45 years before 55 yearsbut sometimes after 30 years) are interrelated. During hormonal imbalance, a sharp decrease in the female sex hormone, estrogen, occurs. Produced by the ovaries, estrogen is responsible for the beauty of the skin, nails, growth and density of female hair.
Also read what are the first precursors of menopause and what is menopause.
When estrogen is replaced by the male hormone - testosterone, which is present in every woman in a certain amount, the nutrition and hair growth is disturbed.
In addition, a difficult climacteric period is caused by the influence of other factors.
May also reduce growth, hair loss and reduce the amount of hair in women:
- stressful situations. During stress and emotional stress, the blood supply to the upper integument of the head is disturbed, the follicles do not receive enough nutrients for stable, full growth and the hair falls out,
- pathology of thyroid function. Climax can affect the functioning of the thyroid gland, which is interconnected with the hormonal background of the body. With the pathological development of the thyroid gland ceases to produce a sufficient amount of thyroxin, which promotes the absorption of vitamins to grow and nourish the roots of curls,
- smoking. When smoking vessels narrowed. With an oxygen deficiency, the hair follicles do not receive enough nutrition, due to which partial baldness occurs.
How to preserve beauty, health and youth during menopause, also read in this article.
Other factors may indirectly affect hair loss:
- poor nutrition,
- improper care for the scalp
- receiving negatively affecting drugs,
- diseases of the skin of the scalp.
In order to determine the cause of hair loss, you should undergo an examination that will help determine the treatment option.
When should I start to worry and go to the doctor
More than half of women during menopause face the problem of hair loss or thinning. It is necessary to take this symptom as a reaction to hormonal changes in the body. It is recommended to spend more time on hair care. When the hormonal background is normalized, the hair will cease to fall out so intensively.
In the case of problems with growth and condition of the hair, they often turn to the trichologist, however, in this case it is advisable to additionally visit an endocrinologist.
Problems with hair can help solve the results of blood tests on the following indicators:
- thyroid stimulating hormone levels
- testosterone levels
- iron concentrations
- general analysis.
According to the results of the examination, the doctor prescribes the appropriate pathology treatment.
Slight hair loss during hormonal failure during menopause is considered to be a reaction to hormonal changes in the body. This condition does not require a visit to the doctor. As a rule, with stabilization of hormonal background, the loss stops.
How to stop hair loss during menopause
So what to do if during a menopause hair began to fall out?
In this case, the following treatments can help:
- medication intake (medicinal drugs),
- use of folk remedies (herbal or other natural masks, rinses for strengthening, nourishing the hair roots),
- head massage (using a comb or using fingertips),
- use of professional shampoos and high-quality hair washes,
- use of special vitamin complexes,
- respect for hair - combing should be done only with natural bristle combs, limit the effect of thermal devices, comb hair slowly, without stretching, only after it has completely dried.
In addition, it is necessary to change the mode and nature of food, lifestyle, eliminate habits that have a destructive effect on the body.
An effective treatment for hair loss is medication. This treatment method is based on the use of hormonal agents (estrogen substitutes), which the doctor prescribes after the examination of the patient. Replacement of hormonal therapy with phytoestrogens is possible.
In addition, use drugs for external use, which are rubbed into the scalp. Such means increase blood supply and improve the nutrition of the hair follicle.
You can use tools that limit the effect of sunlight on the skin of the head. Such drugs contain furokomarin. As a result, metabolic processes in the skin of the head are improved, the blood supply is normalized, and the follicles are strengthened.
If the cause of alopecia is a malfunction of the thyroid gland, then use hormone-based products that the thyroid gland does not produce enough.
This is especially true of hormonal drugs. Hormones have enough contraindications. Only the doctor will determine whether to use hormones during the treatment of baldness.
Drug treatment can be effectively used in combination with folk remedies, and it is also advisable to follow the general guidelines for the care of hair and your health.
What should take vitamin complexes
Vitamin complexes during menopause are an additional therapy as part of other methods of maintaining a woman’s health and preventing abundant hair loss during menopause.
To ensure healthy growth and nutrition of the hair follicle, as well as the hair itself, vitamin complexes should contain:
In addition, vitamin formulations should include elements of potassium, phosphorus, calcium and other minerals that compensate for the deficiency of vitamins in the body during menopause.
There are special vitamin complexes that are prescribed specifically for women during menopause. They contain a sufficient number of elements capable of supporting the body during menopause, including preventing the loss of female locks.
In this way, hair loss in menopause is quite common. Lack of female hormones and vitamins in the body, as well as disruption of the internal organs affects the state of the corneal tissue is not the best way.
Hair loss can be prevented with a comprehensive solution to the problem:
- proper nutrition
- lifestyle changes
- getting rid of bad habits
- taking medicines and vitamins,
- respect for your hair and your overall health.
Also read how to do a test for menopause.
Causes of hair problems
Before you understand what to do with hair, you need to understand the causes of this phenomenon. Of course, the main factor influencing hair growth are hormonal changes. But this is not the only reason why women’s hair at the age of 45–50 years old begin to fall heavily.
First of all, it is associated with age-related changes and inevitable pathological processes in the body. Strengthen the negative impact of hormonal and age-related disorders are capable of bad habits. Women who abuse tobacco lose their hair more often, and it is not always possible to restore their growth. Pathological alopecia in women during menopause can be hereditary. Alopecia, comparable in intensity with the male, occurs less frequently in women. As a rule, it occurs for other more serious reasons.
Stress factors can also aggravate a woman’s condition. Emotional instability is a distinctive feature of the fair sex in menopause. Doctors recommend paying particular attention to soothing therapy, since not only the aesthetic appeal of the woman, but also the functional state of other internal systems and organs depends on her success..
Taking medication can also play a cruel joke with women during menopause. Most of the compositions aimed at alleviating menopausal syndrome, adversely affect the condition of the hair and skin. Sometimes women have to choose between beauty and health. And the second for many remains a more important factor.
Many women discover tumor processes. This is also associated with both age-related changes and hormonal imbalance. Treatment and prevention of tumor diseases very often gives a side effect in the form of hair loss. All these factors together have a significant effect on appearance and require both medical and aesthetic correction.
Hair regrowth methods
In the absence of serious pathological disorders, it is quite simple to stop hair problems during menopause. Women may be recommended drugs that enhance hair growth. Ascorbic acid in ampoules has proven itself well, which increases blood flow to the hair follicles and has a positive effect on the structure of the hair.Hair masks based on natural oils also have a positive effect on hair, softening, nourishing and healing them. Traditionally, with minor hair loss, burdock oil is used, which has a good effect on the condition of the scalp and the activity of hair follicles.
When menopause recommended vitamin complexes, which not only prevent hair loss, but also have a positive effect on the condition of nails and skin. If the hair falls out due to calcium deficiency, you should take separate preparations containing calcium and vitamin D3. Many pharmaceutical companies develop vitamin and mineral formulations specifically for women. For the majority of the fair sex, vitamin therapy is enough to stop the pathology.
Often baldness is a consequence of endocrine disorders. Introduction to the diet of products enriched with iodine, not only has a positive impact on the condition of the hair, but also improve brain and physical activity.
For menopause, the following hair regrowth medications may be recommended for women:
- Magne B6,
- steroid drugs.
Estrogen-containing medications may be offered as a short course. It is categorically impossible to prescribe such formulations yourself. Only a doctor can choose the most appropriate means and determine its dosage.
Women are recommended to massage the head, which will help to cope with baldness, improve brain function, reduce the negative impact of stress factors. The emphasis in treatment is on restoring normal metabolism, suppressing male sex hormones, enhancing immune protection. By itself, menopause is a rather difficult test for the female body. At the end of the menopause period, health problems and obvious pathological changes, which include hair loss, usually disappear.