To understand the reason why during the critical days you want to have a sweet tooth, you need to better understand the features of the functioning of the female body. The fact that the menstrual cycle has certain periods will not open to anyone. During the first part of the body matures egg. During this period of time, an increase in the concentration of estrogen in the blood is observed. At the moment when ovulation occurs, the content of this hormone reaches its peak.
After this, the matured egg cell is in the fallopian tube, and all the forces of the body are mobilized for potential fertilization. After ovulation has taken place, the level of progesterone increases, which regulates the work of the organs of the reproductive system and controls the menstrual cycle. It is this hormone that creates favorable conditions for the further development of the fetus and pregnancy. And it is during this period that the body begins to demand carbohydrate-digestible carbohydrates, which include sweets. So you can explain why during menstruation you want a lot of sweet.
Progesterone is the precursor of a huge number of hormones. And when you change its level in the functioning of the organism, problems arise. If conception does not happen, the level of this hormone begins to fall. Then at the end of the next menstrual cycle, when the concentration of estrogen and progesterone falls, there is a situation in which there is also a desire to eat sweets, i.e., these changes may explain why you want sweets during your period. So the female body is trying to get the missing amount of energy.
Thus, the hormonal status of a woman, which changes throughout the entire cycle, directly affects food addictions.
Preparing the body for the upcoming pregnancy
When the body is thoroughly preparing for pregnancy, the woman also wants sweets. This can be explained by the fact that after completion of the ovulation process, the level of progesterone increases. Against this background, the brain receives a signal that there is a need to accumulate the necessary components and substances to support pregnancy. Due to the above processes, the female body, before menstrual bleeding, requires sweet or salty.
Lack of vitamins in the body
The answer to the question of why during menstruation you want a sweet, in addition to hormonal background, will be a lack of vitamins in the body. It is avitaminosis that affects taste preferences in the period of menstrual bleeding.
According to doctors, the lack of nutrients adversely affects the functioning of the digestive system. Symptoms of this condition should be considered frequent constipation or diarrhea, as well as nausea and weight gain in the background of menstrual bleeding. In addition to these signs, a change in the taste of food will also be indicative of vitamin deficiency. As a result, the woman refuses the usual dishes and makes a choice in favor of those products that were previously avoided. This should include confectionery and bakery products. This is another reason why you want a lot of sweets during your period.
Solving this problem is not so difficult. Enough to saturate the body with the necessary amount of nutrients, and then the problem will be resolved by itself. And no woman will ever say to herself: “I want to have sweet during the month.”
However, even with avitaminosis eliminated, the problem of craving for sweet delicacies will arise every month again and again. With this you need to accept and take for granted.
In some cases, not only women, but men also want sweet after the next meal. At this moment there is a clear feeling that the person is supposedly not fed up. In this situation, sweets and buns play the role of antidepressants, because after they are consumed, the brain begins to produce the hormone serotonin, which provides a good mood and forms a feeling of happiness.
How not to spoil the shape during menstruation
According to most experts, during menstruation you should not resist the natural impulses and try to limit yourself to eating sweets. Such an attitude to the situation will make it possible to avoid depression and it is easier to transfer discomfort.
The only thing that every girl can face is the problem of overweight. And the best way out of a situation where during menstruation pulls for sweets is to control the feeling of hunger and satiety.
There are also ways to deceive your own body in a critical period:
- To begin with, you should make it a rule to eat often and regularly. It is better to divide the portion of the dish into several parts, rather than eat it at one time.
- When choosing products should pay attention to fresh vegetables and fruits, as well as low-fat varieties of fish and meat. It is not necessary to reach for chocolate when you want something sweet.
- In order not to consume large quantities of confectionery and not to wonder about why you want sweets during your period, you should consume as much liquid as possible. This will give the opportunity to somewhat tame the appetite.
- You should focus on your favorite activities and not constantly think about the desire to eat.
- It is necessary to avoid conflict and stress situations during the designated period in order not to seize depression afterwards.
All these methods will eliminate the likelihood of gaining weight over several critical days of the menstrual cycle.
When gluttony became uncontrollable
When gluttony on critical days has become a real problem, you can resort to some ways to solve it, including:
- hormonal contraceptive use. These drugs will provide an opportunity to reduce the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome, affecting the feeling of hunger. Thanks to these medicines, the hormonal background of the woman is gradually normalized, which helps to improve her well-being and blunt the excessive desire to eat chocolate.
- observance of a moderate dietary regime will make it possible not to waste time thinking about why during menstruation you want sweets, but to solve the problem through specific actions in the form of a moderate dietary diet.
How to prevent the desire to eat sweetie
It is believed that an active lifestyle and sports before the start of the cycle are very useful. In addition, as an alternative to hanging out at the TV screen or computer monitor, it is better to choose walking in the fresh air. All these measures will not only improve the emotional state, but also help to lose those extra pounds.
As for taking hormonal contraceptives, it is better to entrust their choice to an experienced specialist. Independent selection of these drugs may not in the best way affect the health of every woman. For the same girls who are planning to become a mother, this method is absolutely unacceptable.
In addition to these measures, gynecologists recommend a week before the menstrual bleeding to pay attention to multivitamin complexes, which necessarily contain vitamins B6, B12, D and magnesium.
Do all women want chocolate?
The body of each person, including women, has individual characteristics. Therefore, it is impossible to assert unequivocally that any woman of the weaker sex during the period of menstrual bleeding wants sweets and butter dough. There are girls who, in principle, can not be attributed to lovers to eat something such. And to speak about confectionery in this case is not at all necessary. For some of them, premenstrual syndrome is quite difficult. And here it is not at all to eat.
Thus, the attraction to sweet products before the beginning of the month and for those should be perceived as quite ordinary, which is periodic in nature. In some cases, a bar of chocolate for someone serves as a source of happiness and pleasure. And here it is important not to overdo it. Otherwise, it is fraught with excess body weight and ultimately again a bad mood.
Causes of increased appetite
Before answering the question of why an increased appetite occurs before menstruation, consider the process of egg maturation over time. The average cycle is 24 - 30 days, the ideal is 28 days, the periods themselves can last from 3 to 5 days. The whole process is controlled by hormones, therefore, in different periods of the cycle there is a sharp hormonal surge of some, and a significant decrease in other hormones. The relationship of all processes can be traced:
- The first days of menstruation: an unfertilized egg is destroyed and eliminated from the body. At this point, the inner layer of the endometrium is rejected, the process is accompanied by bleeding. In the same period, the mechanism of maturation of the new egg is launched, an increase in the amount of produced estrogen is observed,
- Mid-cycle (ovulation): the egg leaves the ovary and progresses to the uterus. It is at this point that the female body is preparing for pregnancy, therefore, the level of estrogen will increase to the maximum,
- End of cycle: no fertilization, estrogen decline begins and the amount of progesterone increases. Somewhere in the week before menstruation, it reaches a high concentration, PMS begins, all “related reactions” occur, including increased hunger. The body is preparing to reject an unfertilized egg together with the endometrium.
This is a rather simplified scheme, since the level of hormones is controlled by the hypothalamus, and the increased concentration of one hormone affects the number of others, and the organism as a whole.
The reasons for weight gain before menstruation are quite simple: the metabolism slows down, the body is ready for fertilization. In addition, the fluid lingers, there are some minor problems with the stool (constipation) and the appetite increases as the woman prepares to feed herself and her unborn child. Normally, 1 - 2 kilograms gained quickly leave after the start of menstruation.
In normal metabolism, a small overeating at the end of the cycle does not spoil the figure. All extra pounds disappear after the removal of excess fluid and small weaknesses a week before menstruation are compensated by a decrease in the daily diet in the first days of menstruation, when you do not want to eat much.
Since each woman has an individual organism, taste preferences can also differ significantly. Some want salty, someone prefers sweets and bakery products, and someone is ready to eat everything, just to eat more and constantly. The last option is the most difficult, and women themselves may not experience hunger as such. They just want to eat something all the time. Such a difference in taste preferences is also a result of hormonal activity, if you want to eat salty before menstruation, more hormones work more, and if a woman reaches for sweets, others do. Consider how the activity of the hormonal system affects the desire to eat during the PMS period.
Why do you want sweet and flour before menstruation
So, let's see what hormone is responsible for bad emotions, and an increased desire to eat sweets. Almost everyone knows what endorphins are. Normally, they are produced by the body itself, and at the time of ovulation, when the estrogen concentration is highest, the number of endorphins in women also increases. The result of an overabundance of “pleasure hormone” in the period of ovulation becomes high spirits and good general well-being.
But as soon as the level of estrogen (and, consequently, endorphin) decreases, the ladies begin to experience its sharp lack. They want sweets (chocolate is the best source), the decline of the “pleasure hormone” provokes irritability and nervousness. That is, all the signs of the approaching menses appear, the PMS begins.
The concentration of estrogen is associated with insulin activity. In response to endorphin activity, the amount of glucose in the blood changes, and its regulation is an insulin-dependent process. The female body is trying to compensate for the decline in glucose by "external sources": I want to eat, while the emphasis may be on flour products. Since they are a source of fast-digesting starch, the subconscious desire is manifested in the fact that they eat bakery products. It is also completely understandable. For example, a burger, cake or cake will be simultaneously perceived as a flour, and as sweet.
But sometimes potatoes can become a source of starch, and if the level of potassium has decreased, then I want salty. That is, a woman does not just want to eat much, but pulls on a fried potato with herring. And until the level of potassium is normalized, taste preferences will not change. Usually hormonal decline in estrogen and elevated levels of progesterone ends with menstruation. After this, a new cycle begins, and these hormones in their quantity in the female body change places again. This is a natural change in metabolism, the extra 1 to 2 kilograms go away without problems, and at the beginning of the cycle, the ladies do not want to eat something concrete or just the whole row in large quantities.
Why weight increases
Overweight is an eternal concern for many of the fair sex. Even 1 gained kilogram can lead to the fact that I want to immediately get rid of him. But consider all the reasons that may lead to an increase in mass before menstruation. And most importantly, we learn how to respond to this process.
The main reasons for the increase in body weight are two:
- Natural: fluid retention, even with a normal, unchanged diet, and slower metabolism at the time of ovulation
- Pathological: significant overeating due to hormonal imbalance and lower estrogen levels in the female body.
In the first case, during menstruation (that is, after an increase in estrogen production) and until ovulation, those extra pounds go off by themselves and without any effort. In the second - everything that was eaten during PMS, accumulates in the form of overweight. That is, eating too much and eating fast-absorbing carbon can gradually lead to obesity. What to do to those who have a period before menstruation is associated with a constant desire to eat, and the diet on such days becomes especially unbearable? First of all, to understand the mechanism of accumulation of extra pounds (we have already considered it). And then act so as not to cause additional inconvenience to your own body during the ICP period.
How to deal with zhor
Strict diet - a bad option to combat the natural processes in the female body. But the basic principles of nutrition can be fully used to reduce the appetite and not to gain pounds "above the natural rate" when you want to eat all the time. Regardless of the desire to eat (I want something concrete or just everything and a lot), simple control and adherence to the main rules of healthy eating will help to avoid problems with excess weight. It is within the power of any woman and does not require serious effort, it is enough to follow simple recommendations.
What is better to do during the ICP period:
- Meals should be regular and frequent. Instead of the usual 3 meals a day, divide the daily ration into 5 - 7 servings, without increasing its volume,
- To tame the appetite, use the usual "tricks": replace the chocolate with fruit (choose black chocolate, not milk, without any additives). Reduce the number of sweets, you want 10 candies - eat 5, but slowly, chew them carefully.
- To cope with zhorom will help constant fluid intake (nutritionists recommend not to reduce the water balance, you should drink 1.5 - 2 liters of clean water every day). But at the same time it is impossible to replace water with sweet juices or coffee. Remember, before menstruation, fluid is retained in the body, so weight gain can be caused by this very fact. Draw conclusions about the effectiveness of your own efforts after the end of menstruation, by that time the “extra” fluid will simply be released from the body and the weight will normalize.
- When choosing food, give preference to vegetables and fruits, lean meat (preferably steamed, stewed or boiled). Remember, an excess of fast-absorbing carbohydrates is also harmful, so you can not eat a lot of potatoes and flour products. You can always find an alternative and focus on vegetables containing difficult digestible carbons,
- To maintain the balance of potassium, eat bananas, dried apricots, sea fish, use sea salt, add complex multivitamins to your diet in winter.
These simple tips will help keep your body healthy at all times. И прежде чем переживать по поводу набранных килограммов, проверьте динамику. Возможно, вы беспокоитесь напрасно, и небольшая прибавка – всего лишь результат естественных процессов, которые исчезнут в первый период менструального цикла.
Почему при месячных хочется сладкого
Пищевые пристрастия возникают из-за влияния гормонов. Зачастую перед месячными хочется сладкого, что считается нормой. На женский организм влияют различные гормоны. However, estrogen and progesterone are responsible for hunger and satiety.
Normally, the cycle includes 2 phases (follicular, luteal) and has a duration of 3-5 weeks. The first phase is characterized by an increase in the level of FSH. Ovulation occurs due to the release of LH. After the release of a mature egg, the follicle membrane forms a corpus luteum, which produces a hormone for the development of pregnancy - progesterone.
Proliferation of the uterine lining provides implantation of the ovum. Estrogen synthesized by follicles is responsible for the growth of the endometrium.
A woman wants sweet during her period due to the following factors:
- acceleration of metabolism, leading to the development of gastric juice and hunger,
- estrogen deficiency, affecting the production of insulin regulating blood sugar concentration,
- decreased levels of serotonin, endorphin and norepinephrine, which directly affect a good mood.
Is it possible to eat sweets during menstruation
Experts say that you should not give up the consumption of sweet during your period, if you want. Favorite sugary foods and foods make it easier to transfer psycho-emotional changes and discomfort during critical days.
Nutritionists recommend to comply with the measure and eat fully, not forgetting about healthy fruits and vegetables.
Is it possible to eat chocolate during menstruation
Eating chocolate during menstruation is not recommended. This product provokes irritability, as it has a stimulating effect. Chocolate can also cause acne due to hormonal changes.
Is it possible to eat ice cream during menstruation
Food addictions may indicate a lack of vitamins. It is known that vitamin deficiency affects the functioning of the body, in particular, the digestive system.
Women during periods of menstruation often want sweets, such as ice cream. Dairy products should be excluded from the diet during menstruation, as they provoke flatulence and impaired stool. In addition, cold foods and foods can cause cramps.
How to overcome sweets for menstruation
The feeling of hunger and saturation can be controlled by thinking through the menu and following the diet:
- Fractional and frequent meals. It is recommended to eat every 3 hours in small portions.
- Inclusion in the diet of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meat, fish. If you want sweet, you can eat a banana or add a spoonful of honey to tea or cottage cheese. Confectionery products can be replaced with cereals and bread, which also contain fiber.
- Compliance with the drinking regime. Adequate fluid intake reduces appetite. Be aware that juices and coffee can increase the feeling of hunger.
If possible, it is recommended to distract from the thoughts about sweets. Long walks and pursuits of your favorite hobbies also increase your mood. Conflict situations and stresses should be avoided. These factors provoke increased appetite.
To understand why some girls want sweets before menstruation, you should turn to the natural physiology of women. The menstrual cycle consists of two parts. In the first phase, an egg cell matures in the follicle. As it develops, the content of the hormone estrogen increases in the blood. Its peak is observed during ovulation.
When the egg is ripe, the reproductive system will allow it to exit the follicle and enter the fallopian tube. Here conception may occur. The body begins to prepare for the adoption of a fertilized egg. Therefore, after ovulation, the concentration of the hormone progesterone begins to increase. He is responsible for the correct development of the embryo and adjusts the body of the future mother to the normal course of the pregnancy process.
If conception does not occur, progesterone levels begin to decline. By the end of the menstrual cycle, the blood estrogen level also drops to its minimum value. All these changes affect your well-being.
Since each organism is unique, the manifestations of PMS in each girl may be different or not be noticed at all. The answer to the question of why you want to eat something sweet before the next menstruation can be caused by a number of reasons.
Causes of sweets for sweets
If during the next menstruation you want sweet, you should pay attention to the signals of your body. They are so individual that each case requires individual consideration. They can be both completely natural and caused by some deviations in the body.
Normal processes in the body
In the first half of the cycle, the woman feels well. During the period of ovulation, she is all happy, happy and feels great. This mood is affected by the hormone estrogen.
But after ovulation, its concentration in the blood drops. And a week before menstruation or during them can appear irritability, fatigue, bad mood. Therefore, I want to cheer up sweet. The main natural causes of this condition are as follows:
- Endorphin deficiency.
- Lack of insulin.
- Changing the rhythm of metabolic processes.
- Preparing the body for pregnancy.
With a decrease in the amount of estrogen, the concentration of such hormones as endorphin, serotonin, norepinephrine also decreases. These are natural painkillers and sources of good mood. When before the next menstruation their number is greatly reduced, the body can try to improve their health with products that increase the level of such hormones.
Most often it is chocolate. Simple carbohydrates are easier to digest. The body loves simple solutions. But this leads to an increase in weight and constant need at this time is sweets. That is why the craving for such products is increasing.
When estrogen decreases, insulin production decreases. This hormone affects blood sugar levels. The body begins to feel a deficiency of glucose and is trying to fill it.
Another important reason why you want sweet or chocolate before the next critical days, is to prepare the body for a possible pregnancy. The reproductive system is preparing for the fact that it needs to ensure the correct development of the fetus. For this you need a lot of substances and trace elements. This increases the feeling of hunger. Exchange processes can proceed differently.
Some women in this period of metabolic processes slow down, the body accumulates water and beneficial trace elements. But others have strenuously produced gastric juice, which makes them eat more often. Sweet splits quickly and restores energy. Therefore, often the body requires just such products. That is why some girls want sweets before menstruation or during them.
What is missing the body?
There are a number of factors that can affect the craving for sweets during and before menstruation. They cannot be called natural, since they are caused by some deviations in the functioning of the body systems. There are several main factors why sweet tooth cravings arise:
- Stress, depression, nervousness.
- Increased exercise.
- Improper nutrition.
Scientists have noticed that increased craving for sweets is observed in people who are nervous, are in a stressful state. Mental loads also require large amounts of glucose. If the diet is unbalanced, there are no cereals, fruits, vegetables and other elements necessary for normal functioning in the diet, the body may require an increased amount of glucose.
Diets, of course, help to keep fit, but they cause a number of deviations in the functioning of some body systems. Therefore, to lose weight should also be correct.
How to solve this problem?
In order to further reduce the strong craving for various sweets during the menstruation period, you should reconsider your diet. If it is diverse, and the number of calories is sufficient, the desire to eat chocolates and pastries will decrease.
If during the second phase of the menstrual cycle you want a sweet, do not deny yourself this. Just eat these foods should be in moderation. This will maintain a good mood and keep the figure. Chocolate can be replaced by fruit, honey.
You should also relax more during this period of the cycle. You will need to reduce the load. Even if a few extra pounds will be gained, they will leave in a new cycle. Indeed, for the menstruation itself also requires quite a lot of body forces.
The need for sweets is caused at the end of the menstrual cycle by natural causes. But in order to reduce such craving, it is necessary to eat properly, rest more and be as nervous as possible.
Why during the month you want sweet: reasons, how not to get better
Every girl is tempted to eat sweet before menstruation. No need to be frightened and set yourself awesome diagnoses. Women suffer from PMS in different ways.
One may want to sit and be sad, while others become greedy for sweetness. In order to understand the cause of attraction and whether it is possible to succumb to it, you need to look at the cause of the ICP and the physiology of the girls.
Let's see why during the month you want sweet.
What causes PMS
Premenstrual syndrome is a complex of many symptoms. They appear in the second half of the monthly cycle, before menstruation begins. Doctors can not uniquely determine the cause. There are many theories expressing the manifestation of symptoms, but they do not contain the entire list. At the moment, leading the theory of hormones.
The syndrome manifests hormonal changes. They depend on an increase in estrogen in the blood and a decrease in the presence of the hormone progesterone.
A possible factor in the onset of the syndrome is avitaminosis (deficiency of vitamins B6, A, trace elements calcium, zinc, magnesium). The genetic factor is also present: the type of PMS can be transmitted by heredity.
How does the physiology of girls
Menstruation is divided into periods. During the first, egg maturation occurs in the follicle. As this process continues, the blood estrogen content rises. At a certain time during ovulation, its peak concentration accumulates.
After maturation, the egg enters the fallopian tube, and the body mobilizes all its forces for its probable fertilization. After ovulation, an increase in the amount of progesterone hormone occurs, which determines the development of the genitals, regulates the menstrual cycle.
This hormone creates the conditions for further development of the fetus and the normal course of pregnancy. It is then that the body requires a fairly large amount of easily digestible carbohydrates. They are sweets. It is perfectly normal if a girl wants to try them.
Progesterone is the precursor of many hormones, and if there is any change in its level, then you can not do without problems. Progesterone levels fall if conception does not occur. Then at the end of the menstrual cycle, the indicators of this hormone and estrogen in the blood descend to a low level, and this entails a sweet tooth, which will nourish the body with the energy it needs.
Communication of menstruation with the desire to eat sweets
It is no secret that during menstruation girls have a good appetite. From the entire list of food they are staring at the very same pastries, cakes, chocolate, candy - the list goes on and on. The reasons for such manifestations may be the following:
- estrogen deficiency,
- acceleration of metabolism
- body readiness for pregnancy,
- lowering insulin levels
- iron loss.
In the first part of the menstrual cycle, there is an active production of estrogen, therefore in the second period the body feels its high shortage. The amount of serotonin in the body depends on the level of estrogen and progesterone. He is responsible for a good mood, but during menstruation his level drops. Then the woman feels deprived of happiness, tired or completely depressed.
Estrogen deficiency pushes the girl to eat foods endowed with the property of improving mood by increasing the level of endorphin in the blood. Sweet helps restore hormone levels, return the body to its former state.
Every month, critical days change the rhythm of metabolism. It accelerates, enhances digestion. For this reason, a woman increases her appetite and there is a desire to eat as much as possible. Sweet foods contain sugar. It quickly splits and provides the body with the necessary energy.
The menstrual cycle is designed to prepare the body for pregnancy. This fact can answer the question: Why do you want to eat sweets before menstruation? The brain receives a signal about the need for the accumulation of vitamins, components that in the future will help in the development of the embryo. Therefore, the body tries to quickly fill in the missing substances:
Magnesium is lost by the body in stressful situations. A low level of Chromium often slows the metabolism of carbohydrates, the body begins to take glucose from the blood.
In the second period of the cycle, the estrogen level drops. A deficiency of this hormone leads to a weakening of insulin production. His job in the body is to regulate blood sugar levels. Then you need to eat foods that have a low glycemic index. Do not starve during this period.
Does all women have such a desire
Leaning towards the individuality of each female organism, it is impossible to say with confidence that the desire to eat sweets encompasses everyone. There are girls who have a disgust in principle for food, what to say about sweets stuffed with sugar and flavors. It is important to remember those for whom the ICP is a test.
In the modern world, it is difficult for a woman to exist. They love to watch their figure, and this attack greatly complicates this process. It is important for a girl to know how to overcome the desire to eat sweets or reduce the harm from their consumption. Here are a couple of tips.
- If the body lacks phosphorus, eat cereals, fish and eggs.
- Allocate time for dessert in the period from 17 to 19 hours, the body will be filled with sweet for the day ahead.
- To get rid of the aftertaste of sweets and forget about them, brush your teeth after eating.
- There are foods rich in protein - they normalize blood sugar levels.
You can use a method that depends on willpower. By controlling the diet, you can choose a moderate diet. If the bored during the month went into extra pounds - do not worry. Excess weight will leave in the period of the next menstruation.
Rest more, reduce stress, reduce the influence of the outside world on the nervous system. Ensure a healthy 8-hour sleep, do not sit on strict diets that limit the intake of body-needed foods and vitamins. Changing your diet and creating a daily routine, the question disappears, why do you want sweets on both monthly and regular days?
I always want sweet: what is the reason, reasons
When there is a desire to eat chocolate or cake 2-3 times a week - this is considered the norm, and in this case you should not think about health problems.
If you always want to eat sweets, and daily and in large quantities - most likely, the whole thing is in an unbalanced diet, health problems and other reasons that need to be timely identified and eliminated.
Why do you always want sweet
There may be several answers to this question:
- Improper diet: when a large amount of carbohydrates is ingested, the body hurries to convert them into fats, at the same time the level of glucose decreases, and after lunch you want sweets if it was too dense. The same applies to other meals,
- Diet: with a strict diet, the blood sugar level also decreases, the body experiences stress and sends signals to the brain. As a result, a person has a desire to eat sweetness,
- Habit: in this case there are no deviations, but it is necessary to reduce the number of sweets consumed in order to prevent the appearance of extra kilos,
- Skipping lunch: if the body has not received the necessary portion of energy before 16 hours, then the desire to get it is expressed in the desire to have a snack with sweetness. Often, after a sweet one, you feel hungry anyway, so you need to comply
- Nervous tension and stress: at such moments, large amounts of energy are consumed, which a person seeks to replenish with chocolate, sweets, etc. In this case, sweets begin to play the role of antidepressants of a kind. But after the sugar content in the blood decreases again, the need for this hormone becomes even stronger.
In addition, there are other moments when there is a craving for chocolate and other similar products:
- If you want to have a sweet night, you need to reconsider your diet: it is quite likely that such a desire appears due to malnutrition during the day. You also need to get rid of the habit of watching TV and at the same time eating food before bedtime,
- If after sleep you want sweets, it is possible that the body has not received the energy it needs, and is trying to fill it with carbohydrate intake, because they give the feeling of satiation the fastest
- Когда после сладкого хочется спать – это может говорить о повышении уровня глюкозы, или гормона счастья (серотонина).
Многих интересует вопрос, почему от сладкого хочется пить, и здесь все очень просто: шоколад усиливает выработку гормонов поджелудочной железы, которые вызывают жажду. В данном случае требуется только одно – выпить стакан чистой воды, потому как это не является отклонением.
Почему после еды хочется сладкого
The desire to eat sweetness immediately after a meal arises if you eat too nourishing fatty or vice versa - non-nutritive food, or leave large intervals between her meals.
How to cope with this problem:
- Adhere to proper nutrition, try not to eat fatty foods,
- Replace sweets with fruits, dried fruits, nuts, or honey,
- Ensure sufficient intake of healthy carbohydrates: they are contained in cereals, vegetables, fruits,
- Take in the morning on an empty stomach 1 tbsp. l flaxseed oil - it reduces cravings for sweets.
Check what your body fat%, BMI and other important parameters
Why during PMS I want to eat
The appetite and, accordingly, the amount of food eaten varies depending on the phase of the cycle, since the sex hormones are directly involved in the metabolism and regulate feelings of hunger or satiety. Hunger, which occurs on the eve of the menstrual cycle, is actually reduced to the first-born instinct. During ovulation, the body begins to prepare for a potential pregnancy. It must have reserves of nutrients, and often we want to eat high-calorie foods (although high calorie content does not always imply the presence of a large number of nutrients).
Dietitian-endocrinologist, chief physician of the clinic for the correction of weight and body HB Clinic
- In the female body, hormones work cyclically: immediately after the critical days, the pituitary begins to work, activating the ovaries to mature the eggs, and by the middle of the cycle, estrogens are actively produced - the main female hormones. This is the brightest time for a woman - the peak of sexual activity and attractiveness.
But in the second phase of the cycle, a dominant follicle appears, producing progesterone, the hormone of motherhood, and this is calm, some sluggish exchange with pastoznostyu, moisture tissues, preparing, perhaps, for childbearing. The peak of changes on the eve of the menstrual cycle is almost like despair about a non-occurring pregnancy and the absence of an assistant woman in the form of a placenta with an additional source of hormones.
And this time is the most critical for the emotional background: mood swings, taste preferences, tearfulness, irritability, stagnation of body fluids with swelling, apparent weight gain and deterioration of the exchange rate. Therefore, there is a craving for sweets as a source of easily digestible energy sources.
The time of hormone deficiency in the body and the duration, severity and variety of symptoms depends on the timely response of other systems: the adrenal glands, the thyroid gland and the correct regulation of the central parts of the hormonal system - the pituitary and nipothalamus. If initially the woman has a shortage of other systems, the PMS flows with pronounced mood swings.
doctor, obstetrician-gynecologist of the German Medical Technology GMTClinic Clinic
- During the phases of the menstrual cycle, hormone levels change. During the first phase (the production of the hormone estrogen increases), the woman feels great, with the onset of the second phase, during which the level of estrogen decreases, her mood and well-being deteriorate, and her appetite increases. This condition can be explained by several reasons:
- an increase in the level of progesterone in the blood provokes an increase in the production of adrenaline and noradrenaline. They, in turn, enhance the secretion of gastric juice. Food that gets into the digestive tract is digested in a shorter period,
- in the second phase of the menstrual cycle due to the influence of hormones and in particular progesterone, the substance that regulates blood sugar (insulin) is produced in a smaller amount. Feeling the need for sugar, our body compensates for its lack of chocolates, sweets, biscuits and cakes, that is, products containing carbohydrates,
- the desire to constantly eat all kinds of sweets - the possibility of pregnancy. The body receives a signal about the need for the accumulation of nutrients, so the girls feel an increased appetite before the menstrual cycle.
What to do
Add iron-rich foods to your diet. Red meat, fish or greens will replenish the iron that you have lost on the eve of critical days. This will create a kind of “feedback” with the body: you give it what it needs at that moment.
If you are faced with intolerable, as you think, hunger, but ate just an hour ago, wait another 20 minutes. Perhaps the feeling of hunger will disappear. If not, do not torture yourself, the main thing is to eat healthy food.
Do not limit yourself to food. Whether you like it or not, this is the body’s natural need for more energy. And in order not to bring yourself to breakdowns, slightly increase your calorie intake during the PMS period.
Try to replace the sweet to something more useful, such as fruit. When choosing milk or dark chocolate, give preference to the latter.
Salt food during the period of PMS is better to be kept to a minimum, as it will only aggravate puffiness by retaining water in the body.
doctor, obstetrician-gynecologist of the German Medical Technology GMTClinic Clinic
- If you cannot control the feeling of hunger during the PMS period, when metabolic processes are slow, I recommend to monitor the quality of products, use only healthy ingredients, such as complex carbohydrates (cereals, fruits, vegetables, pasta, whole grain bread) and proteins (low-fat meat, fish, cottage cheese and low-fat yogurt, legumes). It is better to limit the consumption of fatty, salty and smoked products, sweets, sugar, carbonated drinks, alcohol and coffee during this period.
It is important to know why you want sweets so much during your period. But the fact that craving for sweets can be controlled by using the advice of experts - this is already a guide to action. Start by replacing muffins and cakes with something more useful, such as fruit.
Why do you want to be sweet before menstruation and during menstruation?
This is explained by the fact that after 15 days of the cycle, the level of estrogen decreases, and 3 days before the menstruation, women have a desire to eat chocolate and sweets even if they relate to sweets indifferently. Estrogen is normalized only by the 4-5 day of the cycle, but in order not to gain weight, you need to replace sweets with the following products:
- Fruits: bananas, kiwi, grapes, apricots, etc.,
- Dried fruits: raisins, figs, dried apricots,
- Natural juices
- Honey and nuts with him,
The physiological causes of food addiction before menstruation
Traction to certain products before menstruation is due to physiological characteristics. The leaders in nutritional needs are chocolate, cakes, sweets and cakes. Doctors know why during periods you want to eat a lot, including sweets, and explain this attraction by the influence of sex hormones. There are many of them, but estrogen and progesterone are considered the main participants in the regulation of feelings of hunger and satiety.
Once every 28-30 days in the female body, the balance of hormones is disturbed. This affects the well-being and psychological state. Throughout the cycle, estrogen is actively produced, which is necessary for the maturation of the egg. The woman does not feel the hormonal transformations occurring in the body.
Having reached peak concentration during ovulation, estrogen production is stopped.
After maturation and release of the egg, progesterone is involved. It is this hormone that is responsible for all the uncomfortable symptoms: decreased performance, mood swings in women, irritability and other unpleasant surprises.
Regular bouts of hunger and cravings for sweets before menstruation occur for the following reasons:
- On the eve of menstruation, metabolism is accelerated. Active production of gastric juice enhances digestion. The body requires additional calories, which causes a constant desire to eat.
- Estrogen deficiency affects the production of insulin that regulates blood sugar levels. Insulin becomes less, respectively, the body needs to replenish this hormone. Hence the craving for sweets.
- A decrease in estrogen levels affects the amount of endorphin, norepinephrine and serotonin. These hormones are sources of good mood. With their deficiency in the body there is a need to improve their condition through the use of products that can compensate for the lack. Favorite sweets help to cheer up.
Traction to salty can be caused by weak immunity. Tastes are lost, the food seems fresh, the body requires the missing elements. Another reason why you want salty before your menstruation is associated with insufficient water-salt metabolism. This happens when there is a shortage of minerals such as sodium, potassium and chlorine.
How to trick the body
Many nutritionists advise not to resist the natural urge and not indulge in the pleasure of eating sweet during menstruation. This will make it easier to endure discomfort and depressive moods. The only thing that worries many women is the chance to spoil the figure. The risk of gaining weight is really high, as it is very difficult to calm down the raging appetite and resist the desire to eat sweet or salty.
The best and most difficult option is to control the feeling of hunger and satiety, make a menu for each day and stick to your meal schedule. Here everything will depend on willpower, but if we take into account that there are difficulties with volitional manifestations before and during menstruation, we will have to use other ways to deceive the body:
- Eat regularly and frequently. Divide the portions into several parts without increasing the volume.
- When choosing foods, pay attention to vegetables, fruits, lean meat and fish. It is not necessary to eat chocolate when it pulls for sweets. Increased glucose is not safe for the female body. You can eat a banana or feast on a spoon of honey. Favor flour products for bread and cereal, they also have a lot of fiber. If you want to salty before the menstruation, you do not have to eat chips and nuts. Cheese, lightly salted cucumbers, sauerkraut or crackers can be a useful substitute.
- Increase the amount of fluid consumed. This allows you to tame the appetite. Drink a lot, but only water, as coffee and juices, on the contrary, increase the desire to eat something.
- Distract yourself from thinking about food. Take a walk, do your favorite things, read.
- If possible, avoid during monthly conflicts and stressful states. After unpleasant stories and scandals, many are saved by their favorite goodies.
It is very important to adjust the power during menstruation, therefore we recommend to read additional information on this issue.
These measures will preserve the attractiveness of your figure; at least, critical deviations can be avoided. If you notice that the weight has increased, do not try to correct the situation.
During menstruation, it is better to forget about weighing. Even if you starve yourself these days, extra grams, kilos will not go anywhere. This is the physiology. We'll have to wait and enjoy the result after the menstrual period.
In addition, you need to be careful and play sports with monthly neat.
Food Addictions as a Sign of Avitaminosis or PMS
One of the possible factors affecting the taste needs during menstruation is vitamin deficiency. Vitamin deficiencies adversely affect the work of the digestive system. Frequent constipation during regulars or diarrhea, nausea, and uncontrolled weight gain are all symptoms. Another sign is a change in the taste of food. Women may abandon the usual menu and become addicted to products that were previously avoided. Obsessive desires appear: one really wants a sweet, for some reason, others want a salty one.
Such manifestations, as in the case of PMS, are temporary. It is enough to fill the balance of the missing vitamins and everything will be restored. But with premenstrual syndrome, the desire to eat sweet or salty will return monthly. The reason is the lack of endorphins. Insufficient production of the hormone of joy worsens mood, causes depression and depression.
Favorite delicacies help to correct this condition a few days before menstruation, and the brain doesn’t care what will be the source of joy - a funny comedy, a beautiful dress or a piece of cake.
Sweets during the menstrual cycle enter the body more often than other products. But eating chocolate will not solve the problem. The mood will improve, but it is unlikely that you will be pleased with the appearance of your figure, which is losing its shape. Dealing with food addiction, especially during critical days, is very difficult. Getting rid of excess weight is much more difficult. Choose you!
Why do you want sweet during pregnancy
While carrying a child, a woman may have a lack of two hormones: estrogen or serotonin. The first is responsible for changes in the body, and the second is called the “hormone of happiness”, because
with his lack of deteriorating mood. It is for these reasons, expectant mothers often want to eat something sweet, which is absolutely normal.
In order not to gain weight, you need to do the following:
- If possible, try to replace candy with useful products - their list is listed above,
- Balance your diet so that after a meal there is a feeling of fullness, but do not overeat.
If you want a sweet nursing mom
Contrary to popular belief that during breastfeeding it is necessary to completely abandon sweets, this can not be done, because sweets and chocolates best contribute to the production of glucose, which is necessary for both the baby and his mother. What to do in this situation:
- Drink no more than 10 g of chocolate per day,
- To eat sweets without filling and provided that the child does not have a rash,
- There are cakes and cakes without dyes and fat creams.
If you want sweets for diabetes
With diabetes mellitus, glucose jumps can often occur. As a rule, a craving for sweets occurs when its level is lowered, and doctors even recommend that patients always carry 1-2 candies with them in order to quickly normalize them. What can replace chocolate and candy:
- 200 grams of grape, apple or orange juice,
- The same portion of milk
- Tea with 2 cubes of sugar
- 1 tbsp. l jam or honey.
If you want sweet after alcohol
Alcohol can reduce blood sugar levels, so it is forbidden to use diabetics. In this situation, you can do the following:
- Give up alcoholic drinks, eat more wholesome carbohydrates,
- Instead of sweets, eat cereals, muesli, potatoes, more vegetables and fruits - they reduce cravings for sweets and chocolates.
We also recommend that you read the article Hunger after eating.
How to relieve craving for sweets: the advice of doctors and nutritionists
To reduce the desire to constantly eat something sweet, doctors advise using the following methods:
- Fill your diet with healthy carbohydrates and proteins,
- Do not eat foods high in sugar,
- Normalize glucose levels
- Replace sweets with fruits and dried fruits,
- Do not use artificial sweeteners,
- Drink lemon water: dilute a little lemon juice in 100 ml of water, drink before meals.
What do the food whims: what is missing body
(3 , 3,67 from 5)
Want a sweet during pregnancy?
The first signs of pregnancy, in addition to the delay of menstruation, include changes in eating habits. There are many stories that women thought about the presence of a possible pregnancy only after they noticed changes in perception in relation to food.
Many women are puzzled why such metamorphoses occur during pregnancy. In fact, such a phenomenon has a very reasonable explanation. During pregnancy, a woman may not have enough nutrients.
The body begins to give a kind of signals, forming a desire for a particular type of food.
It is believed that if a woman wants chalk, then she lacks calcium. If there is a desire to try activated carbon, then perhaps it is a question of slagging of the body.
But the need for sweets is due to psychological rather than physiological processes. During pregnancy, a woman at a subconscious level is looking for positive emotions.
Sweet foods, especially chocolate, are ways to increase the level of serotonin in your body, which is considered the hormone of happiness.
How is sex related?
There is an opinion that taste preferences during pregnancy may indicate the sex of a child. It is believed that if during pregnancy you want sweet, then a woman will be born a girl. This statement is not supported by scientific facts.
However, statistics show that in most cases it works. Any woman wants to know for sure who will be born. Ultrasound can detect sex only from the 15th week of pregnancy. For the entire period up to this time, a woman has only to guess what sex the child will be.
In the course are any methods, including folk signs.
Some women believe that a special diet may be helpful in planning a child of a certain gender. Согласно этой методике, если употреблять больше сладкой пищи, то родится девочка.
На самом деле, за пол человека отвечают хромосомы сперматозоида. XX обозначает женский пол, а XY – мужской.
Ученые взаимосвязи между будущим полом ребенка и диетой женщины не обнаружили.
Иногда бывает и так, что женщине захотелось сладкого, но после того, как она удовлетворила свое желание, у неё возникла аллергическая реакция. В таком случае может возникнуть зуд, кожные высыпания или отеки. In this situation, a woman should completely abandon the sweet and seem dermatologist.
During pregnancy, the protective mechanisms of the body weaken. Any substance can provoke an allergic reaction. Therefore, it is very important to identify the source of irritation as soon as possible. This is necessary in order to protect a woman and her child. Recently, children are often born with an existing predisposition to allergies.
Her acquisition occurs at the stage of carrying a child.
Why is this happening?
Why do you want sweet? Many people know that chocolate and sweets are harmful to health and shape, but they cannot overcome their cravings. And the desire to eat something forbidden may arise anywhere and at any time. Before or after eating, in the morning, in the evening or even at night. The desire to eat sweet is especially strong in the evening, and this fact was noted by many.
The reasons why such a desire arises are usually simple:
- lowering blood glucose,
- physical exercise,
- insufficient and irregular nutrition,
- low chromium,
- great mental effort
- psychological problems,
- in women, the period of pregnancy and menstruation.
If you understand that chocolate is prohibited for you, then in each of these reasons, find an alternative solution to the problem. Of course, from time to time you can treat yourself to sweets, but it is better not to abuse it. Especially if the sweet wanted in the evening after a meal. Usually, doctors advise not to deny yourself the pleasure to eat candy, namely, women during pregnancy.
During pregnancy, the body is under constant stress, so for good health, allow yourself to bitter chocolate (it will bring more benefits and less harm). So during the menstrual period, the girls body experiences stress and loss of nutrients. And there will be no particular harm if during this period you allow yourself a little more sweet than usual.
On other days, the amount of sweets is better to limit.
Causes and how to cope with them?
As we have already found out, there can be several reasons for craving for sweets and sweets. But since many sweets can not be eaten, it is necessary to overcome the craving for them.
For each specific reason, there is a way to overcome such a thirst:
- If you want to eat candy right after eating, then most likely you have a lack of chrome. This substance helps in the digestion of sweet and fatty foods. If it is not enough, less energy enters the body, and it tries to fill it in the simplest way - with fast carbohydrates. Try to eat foods high in chromium (meat, fish, vegetables) and drink multivitamins with the content of this microcell.
- If you want chocolate all the time or at the same time, for example, after breakfast or before dinner - this is most likely a habit. And to get rid of such traction is possible only with time, having collected all the strength of will. If your body is accustomed to receiving a dose of sweets at one time, and then you decide to deprive him of this, then it is natural that you will have an irresistible craving for sweets. You will have to control the use of various goodies and try to overcome the craving for them. Over time, you will have a similar desire.
- With strong stress or other psychological stress, people begin to consume a lot of sweets. This is explained quite simply - with the help of sweets in the body, serotonin (the hormone of joy) is produced. If you indulge your desires, the body will sit down on this method of obtaining the hormone and with the slightest stress will demand its dose. Try to please yourself in another way. The hormone of joy is produced not only by the use of certain products, but also during physical exertion or pleasant emotions. Go to the store or the cinema - pamper yourself with something. Before you eat another candy, remember what damage it will cause your figure. Especially if you decide to pamper yourself before bedtime.
- After mental work, as after exercise, the body begins to require sweets. This is because a lot of energy is spent. And the higher the effort, the more after them I want sweets or cakes. Try to replace fast carbs with slow ones. Instead of cookies, eat porridge or potatoes. Before classes, include in your diet fruits and vegetables.
- For women during pregnancy or menstrual cravings for chocolate is due to a decrease in female sex hormones (estrogen). Therefore, during pregnancy and after critical days, the body needs to fill their deficiency. The easiest way to get your food. Doctors advise during these periods not to deny yourself the desired product. Try to drink bitter chocolate. And eat it before dinner.
No need to completely abandon your favorite treats. But so that they do not bring you harm, you need to eat them in a small amount and in the morning.
What can be connected with the constant desire to eat sweet?
Doctors and psychologists point out the following reasons for the sweet food addiction:
Desserts and the sugar they contain are fast carbohydrates that can instantly flow from the intestines to the cells and provide them with energy. Therefore, when we are very hungry, the body may require exactly sweets in order to quickly recover its strength and not waste their remains on “obtaining” carbohydrates from other foods.
Unbalanced diet, strict diet
This type of food often leads to a situation where the body receives only one type of nutrient and experiences an acute shortage in the other. For example, if you follow a protein diet, your body will be deficient in carbohydrates, so it will force you to eat a cake or a chocolate bar.
Low blood sugar
This condition can provoke some diseases, medications or strict diets. Whatever it was, but with an acute shortage of sugar, the body will in every way try to restore it at the expense of sweet food.
Sweet is an excellent sedative, so with emotional anxiety the body begins to demand chocolate even at night. Cocoa beans, from which chocolate is made, contain serotonin (“happiness hormone”) and caffeine, which have the ability to quickly improve mood.
PMS, the beginning of the menstrual cycle, menopause
Reasons for wanting to eat sweets around the clock may occur due to the aforementioned hormonal imbalance. Indeed, before menstruation and during menstruation, progesterone levels are significantly reduced in women, which, in turn, provokes the onset of depressive states.
That's the body and is trying to cheer up due to serotonin. A similar situation occurs during menopause.
During pregnancy, a woman's body spends a lot of energy, so it needs foods that are high in carbohydrates. Also, future mothers may suffer from intolerance to some products and a strange addiction to others. It often happens that a pregnant woman has a craving for sweets, especially in the evening and at night.
After alcohol, our body loses vitamins and nutrients, and therefore a few candies are a great way to quickly restore strength.
When a person has nothing to do, he may unconsciously experience internal anxiety and try to “pay off” her chewing movements. In this case, the craving can develop not only for sweets, but also for all other products that are in the refrigerator.
What elements are missing in the body if it requires sweets?
Nutritionists say that through cravings for sweets, our body reports an urgent need to get “scarce” nutrients and vitamins. To understand exactly what elements your body lacks, a table created by doctors and nutritionists will help.
But even this table does not exhaust all possible options for cravings for desserts.
In this matter it is important not only to take into account the general desire to eat something sweet, but also the products you want:
- Dried apricots - a possible deficiency of vitamin A. Contained in: avocados, melons, peppers, peaches, potatoes, broccoli, eggs, cheese, carrots, liver, fish.
- Bananas - high demand for potassium (k). Contained in: dried apricots, peas, nuts, beans, prunes, potatoes, figs, tomatoes.
- Chocolate is a possible magnesium deficiency (Mg). Contained in: pine and walnuts, peanuts, cashews, almonds, buckwheat, mustard, seaweed, oatmeal, millet, peas, beans.
- Flour - the probable shortage of Nitrogen (N) and fat. Contained in: beans, nuts, meat.
Visit a therapist to get tested
First of all, you should check your blood sugar, and, perhaps, take a special glucose tolerance test (it will let you know if you have diabetes). If this indicator is normal, donate blood to determine the level of biochemical elements and vitamins.
It is possible that after examining your state of health and medical history, the therapist will assign you additional examination options. If you have health problems, he will definitely tell you what to do.
Balance the power mode
It is very important that during the day your body receives a different set of nutrients - carbohydrates, proteins and even fats that are hated by all women.
If you are constantly drawn to sweets, eat foods rich in:
- iron (beans, cocoa powder, pumpkin seeds, lentils, sunflower seeds),
- magnesium (all kinds of nuts, spinach, beans),
- slow carbohydrates (dates, rice noodles, potatoes, pasta, corn, muesli, zucchini, pumpkin, orange juice).
Learn to relax
Stress and anxiety are the main factors that cause the body’s desire to get more glucose. To relax, you can resort to the practice of yoga, aromatherapy, pick up an intense set of exercises or just listen to music.
If you suspect that your condition becomes depressed, it is worth visiting a psychologist (but in any case, do not prescribe antidepressants for yourself, only a qualified doctor has the right to do this).
Get rid of the habit of snacking sweet
Tea with sweets will very quickly restore your energy potential, but the habit of eating dessert can become obsessive and become the cause of health problems (diabetes and obesity).
So try to always keep in your bag something for a healthy snack: fresh fruit, a mixture of nuts and dried fruit, savory biscuits, a sandwich with tomatoes and cheese. But even better - set aside time and have a full meal.
When you want sweets - eat healthy foods
For example, instead of candy - dried fruit, instead of a cake - fruit salad. With a great desire you can afford a small piece of black chocolate - it contains very little sugar, but it is extremely good for health.
And one more important rule: even use fruits and dried fruits only after meals and in small portions.
Find an alternative to chewing sweets
Undoubtedly, desserts bring us a lot of pleasure. But you must train yourself to receive satisfaction and joy not only from food, but also from other activities.
This could be your favorite hobby, an intellectual game that is very addicting, sports or volunteering. The most important thing is not to be bored and not be distracted by the desire to eat a plate of donuts.
Observing all the above recommendations, remember: do not terrorize your body and completely reject sweets. After all, glucose is also important to our health, like iron and magnesium. The main thing - to use it in moderation and only after meals.
After all, if you have a good lunch of soup with mushrooms and porridge with fish - there is practically no place for sweets in the stomach. And if the habit of eating properly becomes regular - you will not be dragged into the pastry shop, even under the influence of stressful situations, during pregnancy and after alcohol.
Thirst for sweets and menstrual cycle
Each of us at least once uttered phrases like “I have such a zhor before the menstrual period, as if I hadn’t eaten for a month”, “I so want to have a sweet, what should I do? Is that normal? ”
These questions are almost universal and so common that they have become the reason for many studies.
What is the menstrual cycle, what hormones affect the feeling of hunger and satiety and where does the craving for sweets come from?
In most species of animals, including humans, nutrition and functions of the reproductive system are closely interrelated.
That is why the amount of food consumed can vary depending on the phase of the cycle, not to mention the huge changes in appetite and physiology in general, which occur in the female body during pregnancy and lactation.
Regulation of appetite and eating habits is considered very important for women's health, and in recent years, eating disorders such as anorexia, bulimia, and obesity are directly associated with ovarian function and hormonal disruptions.
The main regulator of appetite and satiety in the brain is hypothalamus.
Being a part of the central food regulation system, it coordinates hormonal signals obtained directly from the digestive system, which are affected by the level of nutrients in the blood, as well as a number of hormones, including sex hormones.
Thus, the hypothalamus regulates the distribution of nutrients and coordinates the energy balance in the body. In turn, ovarian function is directly tied to the signals received from the nervous system.
Do not be lazy and look at the attached picture, it very clearly shows the hormonal cycle and the processes at its different stages. This information will help you understand your whims and what happens to your body every month.
The ovaries produce the female hormones progesterone and estrogen. Estrogen in particular estradiolstimulates the formation endometrium - the shell for the uterus, which will feed the fertilized egg. If fertilization does not occur, then the female body gets rid of this tissue in a natural way, known as menstruation.
Each woman's menstrual cycle is individual, but usually lasts from 21 to 35 days. The cycle can be divided into four phases: early follicular (day 1-4), late follicular (day 5-11), ovulation (day 12-15) and luteal phase (day 16-28).
However, when it comes to food, we often talk about periods “before” and “after” menstruation.
A review of about 40 scientific studies shows that during the luteal phase, i.e. after ovulation and before menstruation, women’s energy intake can increase by 90-500 calories per day.
Why is this happening? The body is actively preparing for fertilization and prepares the body for acceptance of the fetus.
Although a number of hormones are involved in the normal function of the menstrual cycle, the processes associated with the digestive system are mainly affected estrogen and progesterone.
One of the possible reasons for the effect of the hormonal cycle on the feeling of hunger and satiety is glucose balance changes.
There are some contradictions in the results of research, but in general, scientists agree that estrogen and progesterone affect the levels of hormones of the digestive system, which are responsible for feelings of hunger, satiety and satiety.
One evidence of the importance of the role of sex hormones is tangible changes in the body during menopause, i.e. a period when the level of female hormones is significantly reduced, which leads to a decrease in energy needs and often weight gain.
Where is my chocolate?
Often, the "sweet" is combined with the "fat" - that is why carbohydrate preferences during this period are questioned. Several studies compare the preferences of certain products among men and women.
Probably few people will be surprised by this information: women are really more inclined to want chocolate, and also to satisfy this need in more than 50% of cases.
On the other hand, in the premenstrual period, uncontrolled food intake (binge eating) is often observed, which some scientists associate with a lack of serotonin in the brain, which may partly explain cravings for chocolate.
It is important to note that during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle (7-10 days before the onset of menstruation), the total energy consumption of women can increase by 2.5% -11%, but if you translate it into calories, it will not exceed 100-150 calories in a day. During pregnancy, the need for energy also increases by 10-15%, i.e. approximately in a similar proportion, and it becomes much larger (by 20-25%) during the feeding period, which in general can reach about 500 kcal. in a day.
It is interesting to note that there are quite a few studies on the effect of birth control pills on weight and cravings for food. Since birth control pills block natural hormone fluctuations, it would be interesting to see how this is reflected in weight gain.
Scientists and doctors recognize that many women claim that birth control pills contribute to weight gain. However, those studies that have been conducted show that tablets should not normally have such an effect.
Nevertheless, it may well depend on the type and amount of hormones in the preparation.
In order to get rid of excess weight you need to spend more energy than you consume. Так как точкой отсчета в этом случае является базисный обмен веществ, полезно помнить о том, что это не статичная, а, скорее, непостоянная величина, зависящая, в том числе, от времени цикла. Therefore:
- Не стоит резко ограничивать потребление калорий в предменструальный период. Скорее наоборот, нужно учитывать естественную потребность организма в немного большем количестве энергии. В этот период женщины испытывают повышенное чувство голода, что осложняет соблюдение ограниченного рациона и может привести к «срывам» и подавленному состоянию.
Елена Дегтярь, PhD
1. Davidsen, L. et al. (2007). Impact of the Menstrual Cycle on the Determinants of Energy Balance:. International Journal of Obesity. 31, 887-890.2.
Tucci, SA (2014) Fluctuations in the Menstrual Cycle, Periconception and Fertility. 189-207.3.
Hirschberg AL (2012) Sex hormones, appetite and eating behavior in women. Maturitas 71: 248-256.
I want to eat a lot of sweet during menstruation: what is the reason?
If all the sweets, chocolate or cakes from the refrigerator disappear in a miraculous way during menstruation, then the question of why you so much want to eat a lot of sweets on these days is especially important for you. Such an anomaly is connected not only with the fact that menstruation is accompanied by changes in the psycho-emotional state, and sweets help to improve it. There are other causes of this “little trouble”.
During menstruation, or rather, at the very beginning, the content of progesterone and estrogen in the blood is significantly reduced. But this is not so bad. The level of serotonin, the so-called “hormone of happiness,” also falls. But the indicators of cortisol - a stress hormone - on the contrary, increase. It is because of this that the woman’s body begins to “cry out” from hunger.
In order to appease the hurricane that has risen inside, the girls find no other way out than to “seize the stress.” Therefore, if you strongly want to eat a lot of sweets during your period, supporters of the “hormonal theory” claim that in this way the body simply replenishes the balance of the “hormone of happiness”.
But here's the catch: many scientists completely reject such a relationship.
And since the fact that a woman wants to eat sweets during menstruation is not related to hormonal balance, they deepened into a detailed study of the psychological basis of this craving for carbohydrates and sugar.
American scientists, trying to find out why women want to eat a lot of sweets during their periods, came to the conclusion that many women themselves subconsciously set themselves up for this craving for delicacies. And far from the last role in this play, no matter how strange it sounds, books, films, various programs and TV shows.
Admit that you once saw or read how the heroines of a movie or movie "seize" stress days with ice cream, chocolate or other sweets. And if you externally perceived it as something ordinary, and not worth the attention, then your subconscious mind took it as a signal to action.
After all, menstruation is a tremendous stress for the body, and, therefore, it is necessary to get rid of it by all available means. And it becomes for you something that can be understood and felt only on an intuitive level.
Of course, such a theory about why women during their periods strongly want a lot of sweet, may seem fantastic. But American scientists do not think so. Moreover, some researchers argue that both the “hormonal” and the “psychological” hypotheses are closely related to each other.
Is it really so, we can not say with certainty, because scientists have not yet come to unanimity.
Acceleration of metabolism
You can link the fact that girls strongly want to eat sweets during their periods, with the acceleration of metabolic processes in the body. It, in turn, leads to increased digestion. Thus, the representatives of the weaker sex begin to experience painful bouts of hunger literally every hour. After the end of menstruation zhor passes by itself, as if it never existed.
And that's what's interesting. At first, a woman during her period wants to eat a lot of sweets. When she finally satisfies her desire and is glad that the bouts of hunger have stopped, her body may suddenly begin to demand something salty.
This is an established fact, and many women confirm it. Most likely, this is due to the rage of hormones, and, alas, we will not get away from this - we will have to endure until “these” days are over.
Do all women want sweets during their periods?
Considering the fact that each organism is individual, it is safe to say that not all the fair sex experience an overwhelming desire to “crack” chocolate, candy, ice cream and other delicacies for “these” days.
Some girls, on the contrary, have an aversion to food, and they literally starve during the whole menstruation, forcing themselves from time to time to eat a fruit or vegetable in order “not to die of hunger”.
There is also a category of women who during the ICP eat all the sweets in their home, and when menstruation occurs, this desire disappears from them.
Everything is purely individual, so do not consider yourself “some kind of wrong” just because you really want to eat a lot of sweets during the period of menstruation. This is your physiological feature, and you will not get anywhere from it.
Can this addiction harm a figure?
It's okay for a girl that she has a desire to eat a lot of sweets during her periods, no. But what about the figure? Do not all the delicacies eaten during these days provoke a weight jump? It turns out no.
The fact is that during the preparation for menstruation, the body begins to actively store water. And it is during the PMS period, and not on the “critical” days themselves, that women experience an overwhelming desire to feast on sweets. Since after dessert, almost always there is a strong thirst, the representatives of the weaker sex consume quite a lot of water.
Not all of it is eliminated from the body - most of it is concentrated in soft tissues, which is why many girls notice an increase in the lower abdomen.
As soon as menstruation begins, the abdomen gradually begins to "deflate", and after its completion it completely returns to its original state.
At the same time, no matter how much sweet a woman ate during menstruation, all the calories she consumed “will come out” along with menstrual blood. Therefore, do not be surprised if, standing on the scales after the end of critical days, you will see your body weight has become either 100-200 grams more, or has not changed at all.
But even if you have gained a few extra pounds during the PMS, do not worry: during the next menstruation, this weight will go away. But you can quite help him to do it.
Is it possible to overcome cravings for menstruation?
You can try to resist sweets during menstruation, but alas, you are unlikely to succeed. This is a physiological feature, and it is very difficult to fight with that due to biological processes.
Of course, you have the opportunity to replace most chocolate and sweets with sweet fruits and vegetables. But, frankly, for your body it will be “not at all”.
Therefore, if you are worried about how not to gain extra pounds on a sweet, which you want so much and much during menstruation, the only way out is to play sports. If you do not want to go to fitness clubs, work on yourself at home.
If you are far from sports, no one forces you to practice regularly - start one week before your period, and finish - 7 days after them. So you quickly get rid of all calories consumed, and do not gain weight, even despite all the sweets you ate on these special days.