Approximately every second woman suffers from premenstrual syndrome, one of them - nipples before menstruation hurt. Such sensations are not a sign of any pathology.
Before menstruation, nipples hurt for physiological reasons.
Many women, accustomed to premenstrual syndrome, after they begin to hurt their nipples are waiting for the appearance of menstruation in the near future.
It happens that there is a delay in menstruation, and the nipples continue to hurt, and then the question arises, what to do.
Most often, of course - this may indicate that a pregnancy has occurred.
In this case, you need to perform only two actions:
- do a pregnancy test
- consult a gynecologist.
Causes of nipple pain before menstruation
Many women are interested in why nipples hurt before menstruation?
It is believed that the main cause of the appearance of pain syndromes in the nipple area before the onset of menstruation is considered a large amount of produced estrogen.
It is this hormone produced in the ovulation period that has the strongest effect on the woman’s body and in particular on her breast.
If the representative of the fair sex carefully monitors her physical condition, then she certainly observed that on certain days of the menstrual cycle her breasts significantly increased in volume and become more resilient.
At the moments of its increased presence, the female breast seems to be prepared for feeding the baby, filling with blood. The result of this process is pain in the nipple area.
The power manifestation of this premenstrual syndrome is most often characterized by:
- age category of women
- way of life
The occurrence of discomfort after menstruation
Sometimes a woman may experience pain in the nipples after menstruation. If her physical health is in good condition, then normally these sensations should not arise.
The presence of pain in the nipples after menstruation can cause observable abnormalities in lifestyle or physical health:
- Irregular sexual relations. If a woman does not enter into sexual relations for a long time, then there is an excessive accumulation of hormones in her body. There are cases where the absence of sexual relations has led to more serious problems in the health of a woman than pain in the nipples.
- Sore nipples after menstruation due to problems with the hormones of the internal organs. Malfunctions of the endocrine system contribute to increased hormone production.
- In the presence of pain in the nipples before menstruation, during and after their completion may indicate the development of fibrocystic mastopathy. This disease is very serious and requires seeking help from a specialist.
Sore nipples before menstruation
During the menstrual cycle, certain changes occur in the body that a woman feels according to her condition. Various symptoms may be indicative of the imminent arrival of menstruation, among which are pain in the nipples. They are observed not so often, but still make you think about the origin of the symptom and the possible consequences.
Before considering the causes of pain in the nipples, it is necessary to obtain information about how the menstrual cycle proceeds and what lies at the heart of it.
The reproductive function of the female body is ensured by the close relationship between neurohumoral processes and structural changes in the internal genital organs. It is known that the central division of regulation is the hypothalamus and pituitary.
They produce releasing factors and tropic hormones, respectively, which act on the ovaries, and they, in turn, stimulate changes in the uterus.
The first phase of the cycle begins with the end of menstruation. Follicles mature in the ovaries, and the uterus, under the influence of gradually increasing estrogen concentration, restores its mucous membrane (endometrial proliferation). On days 10–14, ovulation is observed, that is, the release of an egg from a ruptured dominant follicle.
In its place, the corpus luteum is formed, which produces progesterone. Under his influence, the endometrium swells and the number of glandular structures grows in preparation for possible implantation of the ovum (secretion phase). If the pregnancy does not occur, then the functional layer is rejected again with the advent of regular menstruation.
The mammary glands also experience the effects of hormonal changes. They consist of lobules formed by the alveoli and the efferent ducts.
Estrogens increase the number of the latter and are responsible for the hypertrophy of the stromal elements of the gland. At the end of the second phase of the menstrual cycle, progesterone acquires the greatest value.
It stimulates the growth of alveoli and the development of lobules, as well as increases the number of tissue receptors.
To get a full answer to the question of why the nipples hurt before menstruation, you will have to consult a doctor. After all, only an expert on the strength to understand the features of the menstrual cycle in a particular woman.
First of all, it should be understood whether this is not a sign of physiological processes, because even ordinary hormonal stimulation leads to a similar phenomenon. Especially if a woman has increased the number or sensitivity of progesterone receptors in the breast.
That is, individual features of the body play a role here.
It also happens that a woman is waiting for menstruation, but still does not know that she has already become pregnant. Then the pain in the nipples can talk about the transition of the body to a new state, since the concentration of progesterone begins to grow rapidly.
This also should not inspire fear, because it has absolutely no negative consequences. However, there are other situations where pain should be given increased attention.
As a rule, we are talking about these states:
- Premenstrual syndrome.
- Ovarian dysfunction.
The cause of the pain may be hidden in taking medications that alter hormonal levels (oral contraceptives, antidepressants, etc.). It is also necessary to take into account other factors that may disturb the natural balance in the regulation of the menstrual cycle. These include:
- Physical fatigue.
- Emotional stress.
- Irrational food.
- Bad habits.
In one way or another, they contribute to changes in hormonal levels, which means that they completely allow pain in the nipples. It is possible that a woman has several probable causes at once, but which of them has become decisive - there is still to be found out. Therefore, each case requires individual consideration.
To understand why nipples can hurt, you first need to create a holistic view of the problem. Physician examination and physical examination (examination, palpation) help the doctor in this. It takes into account what complaints a woman makes, they are analyzed and subjected to detail. Establish the characteristics of pain:
- View: aching, pulling, bursting, shooting, etc.
- Intensity: weak, moderate, strong.
- Frequency: periodic or almost constant.
- Distribution: local or extending to other zones.
- Duration: short or long.
- Communication with touch, sexual arousal, other factors, or lack thereof.
Many women are not at all able to accurately describe the symptom, but speak only about the indefinite discomfort or engorgement of the nipples. This is combined with increased sensitivity and discomfort when wearing underwear.
On examination, the doctor determines the condition of the mammary gland, areola and nipples, figuring out whether there are any extraneous signs: discoloration of the skin, rash, puffiness, deformities. Other symptoms, both local and general, are taken into account.
If nipples hurt before menstruation, you should think about the probability of premenstrual syndrome. Almost 75% of women suffer from this disorder. This is a complex set of psychosomatic, vegetative-vascular and emotional disorders accompanying the second phase of the cycle. They are manifested by the following symptoms:
- Irritability and anxiety.
- Mood swings.
- Sleep disorders.
- Numbness of hands.
- Breast engorgement.
- Constipation or diarrhea.
They are observed in various combinations, having an intensity from mild to severe. The latter form of premenstrual syndrome is accompanied by a significant decrease in working ability.
Disorders of the hypothalamic-pituitary system with changes in the secretion of follicle-stimulating and luteinizing hormone underlie the disruption of ovarian function. But the cause is often the pathological processes in the ovaries themselves, for example, a tumor or inflammatory process. In addition to discomfort in the breast, organ dysfunction is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- Irregular menstruation.
- Pulling pains in lower abdomen.
- Uterine bleeding.
- Amenorrhea (absence of menstruation).
This is a serious reason to visit a doctor and undergo a full examination. In addition, functional disorders further increase the risk of endometriosis, ovarian cysts, mastopathy, and even breast cancer.
Nipples before menstruation may get sick because of mastopathy. The basis of the disease is a change in the ratio between the glandular and connective tissue (stromal) elements in the female breast, occurring against the background of hormonal and vascular disorders. As a rule, such signs appear:
- The seal in the gland is mobile, not soldered to the skin (fibrous knot).
- Dull and nagging chest pains in the second half of the cycle.
- Enlarged gland in volume (engorgement).
- Transparent discharge from the nipples (sometimes).
The appearance of any seal in the gland, as well as the pathological discharge from the nipples, should be a signal for the mammologist to examine. And mastopathy requires thorough differential diagnosis with cancer.
Chest pain is accompanied and mastitis. Any part of the mammary gland can be involved in the inflammatory process, which is facilitated by the penetration of microorganisms and the stagnation of milk (lactostasis).
Signs of pathology are not specific: redness, swelling and pain in the gland, discharge from the nipples (often of a purulent character). The chest hurts during palpation, it is tense, the local temperature of the skin is increased, the regional lymph nodes are increased.
With purulent inflammation, the general condition worsens: fever, weakness and malaise, and headaches.
The greatest danger among the tumor processes is breast cancer. In the early stages, it is invisible, because it proceeds without clinical manifestations. But over time, characteristic signs appear:
- Tight knot, soldered to the surrounding tissues.
- Suction nipple.
- Shrunken skin ("lemon peel") or an ulcer.
- Discharge from the nipple (bloody, turbid, purulent).
- Breast deformity.
- Enlarged lymph nodes (axillary, supraclavicular).
All the cunning of cancer is that it does not hurt for a long time. This occurs only with the spread of the process, the defeat of the nerve endings, the addition of inflammation. If tumor metastasis occurs, then there are general signs: weakness, loss of appetite, low-grade fever, etc.
It is possible to identify the cause of pain in the chest, including the nipple area, only with complex diagnostics. Along with the clinical and gynecological examination, the woman will have to undergo additional studies (laboratory and instrumental). These include:
- General blood and urine tests.
- Blood biochemistry (hormones, tumor markers, inflammation indicators).
- Analysis of nipple secretions (microscopy, culture, oncocytology).
- Ultrasound of the pelvic organs and mammary glands.
- CT scan.
- Biopsy of tumor formation.
- Histological examination of the material.
Having obtained the results of the research, it is possible to find out what nature the process has in the gland, how it is caused and whether there are any related problems. Maybe there is nothing to worry about, as the physiological origin of the pain is confirmed. But one way or another, only a doctor will find out all this. A woman needs only time to contact him.
Why do women have monthly nipples before menstruation?
A woman's chest is the organ that undergoes certain changes throughout her life, the causes of which are menstruation and pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding.
Nipples are considered one of the most sensitive areas not only of the breast, but also of the entire body of a woman. And many of the beautiful half of humanity have sore nipples before menstruation.
Some consider this to be a sign of a particular pathology, which in most cases is an error, which will be discussed somewhat below.
Pain in the nipples is often accompanied by women
A little physiology
According to statistics, in seventy, and according to some sources, even in ninety percent of women who are in reproductive age, nipples periodically suffer from menstruation.
This symptom is directly related to the production of such a hormone as progesterone, which stimulates the growth of glandular tissue before the onset of pregnancy.
The body in this way is trying to prepare the breast for its intended purpose.
The intensity of pain depends on the health status, age and habits of each of the women. Sometimes only a slight tingling sensation in the nipples is possible. But its occurrence can not be attributed to pathology. After the cessation of menstruation, everything will disappear without a trace.
After that, everything will pass when the glandular tissue atrophies, as the pregnancy will not come. Such a cyclical nature will be the absolute norm for a woman of childbearing age and occurs from one menstruation to another, often being one of the components of a woman's premenstrual syndrome.
The pain and hypersensitivity of the nipples can give a woman great inconvenience, because they are intense, but usually this is a variant of the physiological norm. Often, the strength of pain depends on a woman’s age, the quality of her life and her level of health. Many have to endure it until the end of their monthly, after which you can not remember about it until the next time.
Before menstruation, glandular tissue swells in the breast.
Other possible causes
Not always the cause of regular pain in the nipples are the physiological processes in a woman's body. There are several other reasons why nipples will hurt before menstruation:
- Why should not forget that a woman uses drugs such as oral contraceptives or drugs for infertility. Because pain in the nipples before menstruation may be due to their fault. Indeed, after taking them, a change in the hormonal balance in the body occurs. Then you should think about changing the drug.
- Often the cause of sore nipples may be irregular sex life. With rare sexual contacts in the body of a woman can accumulate a lot of hormones, which is the cause of discomfort.
- Fibrocystic mastopathy can be another pretty serious cause. The peculiarity in this case will be that over time the pain will cease to disappear after menstruation and will begin to intensify. Only a doctor after a mammogram can establish this diagnosis.
- Failure of the ovaries. If there is a malfunction of the ovaries, then pain in the nipples before menstruation is likely. But this symptom immediately passes after normalization in their work. If this does not happen for a long time, it can be a sign of inflammatory diseases in the intimate sphere.
- Lack of progesterone levels in the blood. For this reason, the body can not become pregnant. Pain in the nipples is the very signal that the body is trying to give to report this problem.
Oral contraceptives change hormonal balance and can cause chest pain.
How to reduce discomfort
Often, sore nipples before menstruation is so severe that a woman can not even fall asleep on her stomach or side. Even the slightest touch can cause pain. This may not be a day. In this case, you should apply the following techniques:
- give the body peace, reduce stress, relax, then apply heat to the stomach or take a warm bath with sea salt. This will help reduce the sore nipples before menstruation,
- eliminate smoking and drinking alcohol, reduce the amount of fluid you drink, which will significantly smooth out premenstrual syndrome,
- abandon strong coffee or tea, pickled and spicy dishes, focus on vegetables and fruits, they can play a significant role in the prevention of pain,
- do not overcool, avoid stress, do not take your own prescribed medication,
- protect your nipples from rough touches during intimacy,
- носить нижнее белье, которое надежно фиксирует грудь, из натуральных тканей, без швов и в соответствии с размером.
It will help relieve pain on such a day with pain medication such as ibuprofen, no-spa or aspirin. Why you should not abuse these drugs: with the pathological nature of the pain after they are taken, you can skip a serious pathology, and with constant use will get used to them. Therefore, taking painkillers costs only as a last resort.
Sometimes pain syndrome can be removed simply by relaxing.
What should pay attention
As mentioned above, the pain in the nipples should go away after the end of menstruation. If this does not happen, then most often you should think about the onset of pregnancy. Climate change, stress, drastic changes in weight can also affect. If all such reasons are excluded, then you can suspect certain disruptions in the body. These include:
- gynecological diseases,
- endocrine disruption,
- inflammatory processes in the breast tissue,
- breast neoplasms.
Such problems should be considered by those women whose nature of pain has changed, its intensity or pain simply disappeared. Pay attention at all to the pain in the nipples and those women who have not had it before menstruation before.
What should not be forgotten
Self-treatment in such cases is strictly prohibited. We should not ignore such signals, which gives the body to a woman. You just need to schedule a visit to the doctor without fail on any day of the week.
For complete confidence in their own health, a woman is recommended to visit a breast specialist once a year, to go to the gynecologist twice a year and once a month on the same day to conduct an independent breast examination.
Experts in the field of medicine believe that sensitivity and slight pain in the nipples before menstruation is a variant of the norm. Many of the women live with this symptom all their lives, do not get sick, do not heal, and everything is normal with them. Why you should not endure the pain, if it is strong: so the body signals about some malfunctions.
Female nature is a complicated thing. Not everyone can cope with it on their own, without the help of outsiders. You should never hesitate to ask for this help, because this can be the first step to recovery from possible pathology.
Why does the nipple hurt before menstruation?
When the nipple hurts before the menstrual period, typical mastodynia can manifest itself. This is a condition in which female nipples hurt as a result of a hormonal jump.
It is no secret that the functions of the female reproductive system are regulated by hormones. And the uterus and the female breast are even considered as a single organ.
In this case, pain in the nipple can not last more than 5 days. Before menstruation, the concentration of estrogen in a woman’s body increases, the breast swells (filled with blood), increases in volume, becomes dense and edematous, and blood vessels constrict.
For this reason, pain is felt in the nipples before menstruation. This happens not every woman and is influenced by the number of years lived, lifestyle, health in general.
Why does this occur before menstruation?
The overwhelming majority of women of childbearing age have breast glands before menstruation. This is noted in almost 90% of females.
The breast, increasing in size, is filled so that it becomes similar to edematous.
This condition of the female breast is explained by the fact that before the critical days (during the ovulation period) the body produces an increased level of the sex hormone - estrogen.
Its effect on the mammary glands is such that they seem to be preparing for feeding a baby. Blood pouring and pain in the nipples. The peak of this process falls on the 12th day of the cycle.
The place of impact of estrogen are the cells of adipose tissue, of which 80% consists of the female breast. In this regard, the growth of hormonal background affects the increase in the size of this tissue, the breast seal.
The blood vessels constrict, the flow of blood becomes difficult. There is swelling of the body after the ovulatory process. Outwardly, all the symptoms of this state before menstruation and during ovulation are determined by the individual characteristics of the woman: age, physical health, lifestyle.
How to reduce the severity of discomfort?
Sometimes the pain in the nipples and chest becomes unbearably strong, distracts from the usual pace of life, interferes with doing business at work. Here are some guidelines on how to negate the negative effects of premenstrual syndrome (PMS):
- put any heat source on your stomach or stand under a warm (non-hot) shower,
- give up bad habits (alcohol and tobacco addiction), which will reduce discomfort in nipples and breasts in general,
- exclude from the daily ration of strong coffee, black tea, pickled and spicy dishes (for chest pain and reproductive organ, it is recommended to drink fresh juices, eat vegetables),
- consume foods enriched with magnesium,
- exclude overcooling of the body at low ambient temperatures, it is rational to choose clothes for the upcoming walks,
- minimize participation in stressful situations that are responsible for controlling the balance of hormones and sensations of pain in the body,
- should not be taken for self-treatment of pain, without first consulting with a doctor.
Sometimes pain during menstruation, both in the chest and in the genital organ, may be the result not of PMS, but of a serious illness.
Because it is important to perform timely diagnosis and undergo adequate treatment. And only a doctor can prescribe all this.
Why does chest ache during menstruation?
As is already clear, before the menstruation, the nipples and breasts in women are sore because of the increase in the level of hormones that provoke the growth of the adipose tissue of the breasts.
During menstruation, opposite processes are noted. If there are no disturbances, the body should fully recover and the discomfort will disappear.
If this does not happen, then the nature of the pain has nothing to do with menstruation, but is related to:
- diseases of the reproductive organs
- endocrine problems.
The concentration of the hormone estrogen in the blood begins to fall only after the arrival of critical days. The discomfort should disappear. However, sometimes the pain in the chest disappears before the onset of bleeding. This is possible in the absence of fertilization of the egg, when the content of hormones decreases sharply.
Regular appearance of pain in the chest indicates any irregularities in the endocrine system, to determine which one should go to an appointment with a gynecologist-endocrinologist.
What does nipple hypersensitivity mean?
This condition is not an independent disease. Usually we are talking about the manifestation of the individual characteristics of the female body. The skin on the nipples is permeated with a variety of nerve receptors. This explains the fact that a woman with increased morbidity acutely reacts to stimuli, including:
- wearing discomfort underwear or not suitable for size,
- use of towels made of hard fabrics
- excessive nipple rubbing during hygiene procedures.
To pass the discomfort, it is enough to remove the irritant.
In addition, it is recommended to use special creams that can reduce the increased sensitivity of the nipples.
Improperly chosen care and hygiene products, washing powders, detergents and other similar products can also cause soreness in the nipples, which has nothing to do with reproductive cycles in the female body.
When is the situation pathological?
If discomfort in the nipples is not associated with the menstrual cycle, it can mean either the presence of pregnancy (hormone levels remain elevated throughout the cycle), or the presence of a serious illness:
- infectious-inflammatory disease with a lesion in the breast,
- breast cancer,
- ovarian dysfunction,
- problems endocrinology plan.
If you maintain similar symptoms throughout all phases of the cycle (that is, long after menstruation), you need to contact a gynecologist.
About the features of the skin nipples
The skin of the nipples is very tender, riddled with a huge number of nerve endings. Any friction and external influences can damage it, so most often pain in the nipples is associated with external stimuli. It can be:
- neglect of personal hygiene,
- wrong underwear that can compress or rub in the chest area,
- allergic reactions to laundry detergents (powder, fabric softener), as well as personal care products (soap, shower gel, moisturizers),
- tanning in a tanning bed without proper protection,
- too hard washcloth for the shower.
To reduce the unpleasant sensations, it is necessary to eliminate these external stimuli. It will not be superfluous to use special soothing and calming creams and lotions for nipples, you can buy them at the pharmacy.
Why do nipples ache before menstruation
The physiological causes of pain in the chest and nipples is the menstrual cycle. Changes in the breast associated with estrogen ("female hormone"), the amount of which by the middle of the cycle and during ovulation increases by 2-3 times.
By the 14th – 16th day of the menstrual cycle, the estrogen-producing egg cell is maturing and preparing for release. This hormone prepares the female breast for lactation, which is why it swells, grows in size and starts to hurt. Nipples can change their color, become darker and also start to hurt.
The amount of estrogen decreases only with the onset of menstruation, since fertilization does not occur. Therefore, women note that with the onset of menstruation, chest pains abruptly stop, and the swelling subsides by 1-2 days of menstruation.
Nipples can also hurt during pregnancy and this, again, is associated with a changed hormonal background. During lactation, all women exhibit nipple sensitivity and pain.
There are situations when the sensitivity of the nipples and breasts is noted after menstruation, at the beginning of the cycle, and such pains are not related to the production of estrogen. Then you should think about the presence of any pathology. The most common causes of pain include:
- Hormonal disorders, when estrogen production does not begin by the middle of the cycle, but can occur independently of the maturation of the egg. Then the breast can be swollen and sensitive throughout the cycle.
- Irregular sex life, in which sex hormones are produced, but do not find a "way out", thus accumulating in the body and causing hormonal disturbances.
- Endocrine diseases in which the ratio of hormones produced by the thyroid gland is disturbed.
- Fibrocystic mastopathy - benign breast lumps that can occur during lactation or independently of it. There may be fever and severe pain in the breasts and nipples.
- Infection and the development of inflammation in the soft tissues of the breast.
- Injuries, various strokes.
- Ovarian dysfunction, including polycystic.
Sometimes women notice nipple discharge unrelated to lactation. The reason may be associated with hormones, when progesterone and estrogen are intensively produced by the body before menstruation. Such secretions are hazy white, translucent, and odorless. They end with the arrival of menstruation.
If the discharge occurs on an ongoing basis, accompanied by severe pain, changes in the shape of the breast, and the nipples itch or change color, this is a reason to consult a doctor. Especially dangerous are bloody discharge.
Ways to solve the problem
If the nipples hurt before the menstrual period and this is connected with the premenstrual syndrome, the following methods will help alleviate the discomfort:
- Try to avoid stress, as any tension exacerbates the manifestation of PMS.
- Observe the regime of work and rest, try to get enough sleep.
- During this period, it is necessary to eliminate physical exertion or reduce them to a minimum, choose more gentle exercises, give preference to ordinary walks in the fresh air.
- Dieting will help to reduce pain. It is necessary to exclude foods and drinks that excite the nervous system. These are coffee, strong tea, alcohol, chocolate, spicy and fatty dishes. Preference should be given to vegetable salads, fruits, cereals, light soups and lean meat / fish.
- Do not allow external irritants on the chest: do not wear tight underwear, as well as supercool or warm the chest.
- Drugs can also reduce pain: they can be non-steroidal anti-inflammatory or hormonal drugs, as well as special vitamin complexes containing high-dose vitamins of groups B, C, E, as well as magnesium.
Nipple pain in most cases is caused by natural physiological processes, premenstrual syndrome and hormone production, as well as external stimuli. These causes do not represent health concerns and do not require medical treatment.
If there is a suspicion of any disease, you should immediately consult a doctor for diagnosis and choice of treatment.