For menstruation in a normal state of the body, a painless course with a minimal set of characteristic symptoms is characteristic. Unfortunately, only about 30% of women can boast of such an option, often critical days cause much more problems than just taking care of personal hygiene.
The most common symptom is pain, which is often impossible to endure. Do you need painkillers for menstruation, which pain medicine is better to choose and whether you can do it yourself - the answers to these and other questions will be in this article. We will look at how gynecologists evaluate pain in the lower abdomen, and what recommendations are given for getting rid of them. We learn the name of the most effective drugs, their rating and the reasons for choosing one or another way to eliminate pain during menstruation.
Types of pain
Pain during menstruation cannot be unambiguously called pathology, although this symptom, which constantly manifests itself, is a serious reason for a visit to a gynecologist.
Recall that menstruation is a natural process of the female body, therefore, it should not cause particular trouble a priori.
Causes of pain during menstruation will be discussed in the appropriate section of the article (causes of menstrual periods). In the meantime, we learn how it is common in gynecology to divide this symptom by its intensity.
Pain in the abdomen is assessed according to severity as follows:
- first degree of pain: the sensations are weak, usually they practically do not interfere with the usual rhythm of life,
- the second: the pain is not the only symptom and is much worse, women notice mild nausea in combination with sharp mood swings, there is a slight decrease in temperature with chills. Patients with such symptoms are prone to depression and do not tolerate menstruation themselves, but also suffer from premenstrual syndrome,
- third: the pains are diffuse, they are localized in the lower abdomen and spread to the lumbosacral region, the sensations are quite intense. Additionally, there is general weakness, fever, vomiting, rapid heartbeat, depression.
Is it necessary to numb the patient or is it worth suffering the pain? It all depends on the severity of symptoms and individual sensitivity to pain. It is generally recognized that tolerating severe pain is unacceptable, it is an additional and useless test for a woman. When the first degree of pain is usually not pain-relieving, an exception to this rule is the individual intolerance to the slightest pain. If there is a second degree during menstruation, it is recommended to remove unpleasant symptoms with medication. In the third case, pain medications are necessary, and a visit to the gynecologist is required. Such monthly flow can be caused by various reasons, including the developing pathological process in the reproductive system. Consider what can be caused by such a reaction of the female body.
Causes of menstrual period
Painful menstruation is most often associated with changes in hormonal levels. The balance of estrogen and progesterone throughout the menstrual cycle is constantly changing. During the period before menstruation and during bleeding, progesterone predominates in the body, and the lack of estrogen often affects the general mood of the woman than the painful manifestations. Then where does the pain in the lower abdomen come from? Such manifestations have different reasons, namely:
- dysmenorrhea, which can develop due to a serious hormonal imbalance,
- use of contraception (oral or intrauterine devices, for example, spirals),
- restoration of the normal cycle after an abortion, pregnancy or breastfeeding,
- vitamin deficiency and / or lack of minerals,
- genetic tendency to a painful course of menstruation,
- eating disorders and related diseases
- thyroid disease,
- gynecological problems: pathologies of development of the uterus, adhesions, cysts or tumors, endometriosis, inflammatory and infectious diseases,
- pathological processes in the urinary system,
- individual reactions and hypersensitivity to changes in the balance of hormones,
- absence or irregular sex life.
The condition of a woman depends on the listed reasons. Remove pain, especially severe, should be immediately. But after the period of critical days is over, you should contact a specialized specialist for advice. Especially if earlier no pain was observed, or they intensified.
Some factors of unpleasant symptoms are relatively harmless. For example, in case of a hereditary severe course of menstruation, the only way to survive these days will be to take medicines chosen by the gynecologist. If the stomach during menstruation hurts as a result of the development of pathological processes, then it will be necessary not only to debalance, but also to treat the patient. Medium severe and severe pain during menstruation is an alarming symptom; it is unacceptable to ignore it and remove it with medicines without further examination. Only a profile specialist can identify the true cause of the pain, prescribe an effective anesthetic and choose a further treatment strategy for the patient.
Prevention of pain in critical days
Sometimes the pain during menstruation is removed with medicines, but there are other ways, especially if we are talking about mild symptoms. To cope with unpleasant feelings will help:
- Special diets: balanced nutrition with vitamins and minerals,
- light exercise during menstruation (helps to improve the overall condition of the body and relieve spastic pain) and regular during the rest of the time,
- compliance with the drinking regime: sufficient water intake, while it is better to reduce or eliminate the use of beverages containing caffeine, energy drinks, alcohol.
These recommendations apply to completely healthy women with mild symptoms (first degree). Depending on the causes of pain during menstruation, you can change the method of contraception, improve sex life, balance nutrition or hormones. Such recommendations should be given by a specialist. There are still popular ways of getting rid of menstrual pain, they will be listed in the section "simple ways to relieve pain." But they should also be used after prior consultation with a gynecologist.
Types of painkillers
What painkillers can you drink during menstruation? The choice of drugs depends on the nature and causes of unpleasant symptoms. In some cases, analgesics are recommended, in others - antispasmodics. Some women help ordinary Paracetamol or Ibuklin, which can be assigned even to teenagers.
When choosing a drug, it is important to consider:
- causes of pain during menstruation,
- the presence of concomitant diseases in the patient (some drugs have serious contraindications),
- frequency of administration: for example, analgesics with long-term administration cause the body to become addictive and require replacing it with a stronger remedy or to achieve the effect it is necessary to increase the dose.
The best medicines for pain in each particular case will help choose a gynecologist. Independent choice of the way to relieve symptoms during menstruation can have negative consequences. It is also worth remembering that some medications have a minimum of contraindications, while other medications have serious limitations on intake. And most importantly, any anesthetic - a temporary measure, it stops a painful symptom, but the cause of its occurrence remains. For effective treatment, it is necessary to find out its etiology, therefore, a visit to the gynecologist is the most correct solution.
Painkillers for teens
Pain relief during menstruation for adolescents should be selected very carefully. First, with menstrual pain, low and medium intensity medications may not be needed at all, the young body quite often independently cope with unpleasant sensations. Secondly, the hormonal background in girls is just beginning to change, it is unstable. Therefore, the best option may be hormone-containing drugs that will help eliminate the cause of pain. Thirdly, the choice is to entrust the gynecologist, who will be able to choose the most optimal treatment option.
Teenagers on critical days may experience discomfort, menstrual flow has not yet stabilized, the body experiences stress amid hormonal changes in the body. If weak pains can pass without the use of drugs, then the strong ones should not be tolerated. Preparations are selected individually, it is usually recommended:
- Paracetamol and / or Analgin (no more than 3 tablets per day),
- Nonsteroidal drugs: Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, Ketoprofen, Indomethacin, Piroxicam, Tamipul, Naproxen. Doses are prescribed according to age (usually 1 to 2 tablets per day for 2 to 3 days),
- Antispasmodics: No-shpa, papaverine. The dosage often does not exceed 1 - 2 tablets daily.
All of these medicines can be purchased at a pharmacy without prescriptions, their average cost is 50 - 100 rubles. But uncontrolled long-term use is undesirable, if the monthly pass every time is painful, then you should contact a specialist.
Pain relief injections
Painkillers - an alternative to pills. In some cases it is preferable to make an injection, while achieving several effects simultaneously:
- if the medicine is prick, then it acts almost immediately,
- the digestive system does not suffer.
Almost all of the above drugs (see. Pain relief for adolescents) are also available in the form of solutions for injection. The price for them is low, but there are more expensive drugs. For example, Mydocalm from a group of muscle relaxants, which costs 450-500 rubles per pack. For pain during menstruation, the best remedy in the form of injections is selected by the doctor in accordance with the etiology of the symptom.
Painkillers with monthly can be divided into several price categories. The cheapest (within 50 rubles) are:
- Antispasmodics: Spazgan, Baralgin, Spazmalgon, Novigan,
- Combined: Phenobarbital,
- Antipyretic (when pain is accompanied by fever): Aspirin,
- Analgesics: Paracetamol, Analgin, Nimesulide,
- Nonsteroidal drugs: Nurofen, Ibuprofen, Solpaflex.
Any of them will help relieve pain, the method of application is indicated in the instructions.
Medications with strong pain relief
Tablets for pain from menstruation are selected individually. With strong pain some medications do not help. This can occur for several reasons:
- an incorrectly chosen drug, for example, Nurofen with menstruation will be ineffective if the pain is caused by a spasm, although it does bring some relief, as it has an analgesic effect,
- the medication is used for a long time and often: when conventional analgesics are used often and stop helping, Ketans are prescribed for menstruation as a strong remedy. This tool can remove the most severe pain, it is prescribed even in the postoperative period. Drinking Ketans without a doctor's prescription is not recommended, it is a non-narcotic analgesic with a rather strong effect.
The list of potent painkillers also includes such drugs as Solpadine, Ketonal, Nimesulid, Diclofenac, Baralgin, Spazgan and Trigan, No-spa, etc.
If the tablet does not help, then it can be replaced by injection (most drugs come in the form of solutions for intramuscular administration). It is better to use some drugs in the form of a suppository, then they exert their effect faster.
Pain relievers for menstruation: containing papaverine, indomethacin, paracetamol, ketaprofen, naproxen, cefecon, eferalgan, etc. Some are assisted by rectal suppositories containing similar medicines. They are good for menstrual pain, they act quickly, they are absorbed, bypassing the stomach, therefore they have fewer side effects in terms of their effect on the gastrointestinal tract.
List of painkillers
What pills to drink for painful menstruation - the answer to this question and the choice of drugs should be entrusted to the gynecologist, who will determine the main criterion - the cause of pain. Different groups of drugs have their own mechanism of action. In a critical situation, you can take advantage of what is available in each pharmacy (analgesics, antispasmodics, anti-inflammatory drugs, etc.).
With constant long-term admission it is necessary to take into account the appointment of a doctor and his recommendations in this matter. Medicines are selected on the basis of the identified etiology of menstrual pain, the presence of concomitant diseases and contraindications to taking a particular drug are taken into account. Sometimes the choice is explained by prices, but most of the drugs are inexpensive and available to the consumer (you can also use cheaper analogues). But for women it is important to choose the right method to eliminate the pain syndrome and find out its etiology in order to begin a comprehensive treatment of the root causes of its occurrence.
Anesthesia for menstruation is prescribed by a doctor, this will help you choose the most effective drug. Patients are often recommended nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, they usually have a complex effect:
- anti-inflammatory effect
- relieve pain.
The list of pain pills in this group includes derivatives of different substances:
- indole acetic acid: indomethacin, sulindac, etc.
- propionic acid: naproxen, flurbiprofen, nalgezin, ketoprofen, thiaprofenic acid, ibuprofen is often prescribed during menstruation,
- phenylacetic acid: diclofenac and its analogues,
- sulfonamide: nimesulide.
You can drink paracetamol, which belongs to this group of drugs, but is a selective blocker of COX-3, therefore it does not have anti-inflammatory properties. But paracetamol can be considered an effective cure for menstrual cramps.
Drinking ibuprofen and other nonsteroidal medications is recommended two days before and during the first days after the onset of menstruation. The daily dose for adults usually does not exceed 3 to 5 tablets daily.
Antispasmodics in menstruation will be effective only if the pain syndrome depends on the spasms. In other cases, they do not help. Spasmodic pains are well removed with medications such as:
You can drink a pill, make an intramuscular injection, or use vaginal or rectal suppositories.
Medicines with analgesic action are considered as universal painkillers for menstruation. They act directly on the receptors and have an analgesic effect regardless of its cause.
Novalgin, baralgin, ketanov, nimesil will help to quickly defeat the pain, analgin helps well during menstruation. Drugs from this group begin to take when symptoms occur, in the form of tablets or intramuscular injections. The advantage and disadvantage is quick and short-term action, respectively.
From the pain during menstruation also help infusions and decoctions of herbs. Phytotherapy has long been used to treat various pathologies, including, to relieve pain. Well proven:
- Chamomile with mint,
- Water pepper
- Viburnum bark,
- Borovaya uterus,
- Fees from different herbs.
Read reviews from other women, tried almost all of the recommended drugs. Itself I suffer from pains from the very first monthly. Personally, antispasmodics help me the best. It is enough to drink 1 pill of no-shpa a day to calmly survive critical days.
My first pains began after the birth of a child. After feeding and restoring the cycle, the periods became painful. The condition worsened when she set the helix. During menstruation drank the packaging of dipyrone or nimesil. Soon the pain became simply unbearable, went to the gynecologist. The doctor scolded me, took off the spiral. Now I am protected contraceptive pills. Six months passed, the pain almost disappeared.
I have pains periodically, I saw it myself occasionally or endured it. During the next inspection she complained to the doctor. She recommended ibuprofen to me, this medicine helps me well. Additionally, I went in for sports, even on critical days I try not to miss training. The pains have almost disappeared, now I want to completely abandon the pills and go to herbal tea.