The female body is very complex. Every month the body of the weaker sex undergoes tremendous changes. They are caused by the fact that the production of some hormones is replaced by the release of others. All this is accompanied by rejection of the uterine mucosa. A woman also notes the release of blood from the genitals. This article will tell you why there are heavy periods. You also find out what you need to do in this or that case.
What menstruation is considered abundant?
Before you establish the causes of heavy periods, you need to say a few words about the process itself. Bleeding is a discharge that lasts more than seven days. At the same time, they are very abundant, and the woman needs to change the sanitary pad or tampon every hour.
Also about the heavy monthly it can be when the representative of the weaker sex begins to feel bad on such days. This is due to a decrease in hemoglobin and severe blood loss. Correcting this condition is necessary. However, appointments should be made only by a qualified professional. Otherwise, treatment can lead to trouble and various kinds of complications.
Abundant long periods
The causes of this phenomenon may be different. In one case, it becomes a physiological feature of the female body. In another situation, we are talking about pathology, which requires immediate correction. What are the reasons for the abundant periods you have, it is difficult to say. However, after the research and analysis you have done, you may well get an answer to all the questions you have about this.
The causes of heavy periods can be in the incorrect use of contraceptives, pathology also manifests itself in diseases of the uterus, during hormonal failure, and so on. Let us consider in detail the main causes of bleeding and find out how to deal with them.
Hormonal failure in the body
The causes of heavy periods can be a change in hormonal levels. In this case, most often there is an excess of estrogen in women. This leads to the fact that the inner layer of the reproductive organ grows in a large volume. Often, the fair sex in this case is not a prolonged menstruation, namely, very abundant. Also, many teenage girls report very long discharge.
Treatment of hormonal imbalance is carried out by appropriate methods. Oral contraceptives are most commonly prescribed. If the representative of the weaker sex is planning a pregnancy, the treatment can be carried out with drugs containing progesterone. They do not block ovulation, but perfectly correct the pathological condition. If a girl whose cycle has just begun has encountered a copious or prolonged monthly period, then usually doctors choose waiting tactics. In this case, drugs are prescribed only when the patient feels very bad.
The reasons for heavy periods can be due to the incorrect use of means that protect against unwanted pregnancy. Moreover, it is often about oral contraceptives or intrauterine devices.
Treatment of this phenomenon becomes symptomatic. If a woman uses birth control pills, they are simply canceled for a while. At the same time, alternative means of protection are appointed that do not affect the organism in this way. After a short rest (usually in two to four months), the doctor may perform a series of tests and select suitable oral contraceptives. If the intrauterine device is worth, then it is simply removed.
Abundant periods with myoma appear quite often. Doctors have not yet studied the process of such a process. However, if a woman makes a similar complaint to the gynecologist, the doctor immediately begins to suspect the presence of a benign tumor.
Pathology treatment is not carried out in all cases. Often, physicians choose a waiting method and prescribe hormonal drugs that suppress the production of estrogen. If the tumor gives the patient severe discomfort and significantly spoils the quality of life, the gynecologist recommends treatment. It can be different: laser correction, use of the arterial duct, complete removal of the genital organ. It all depends on the type of fibroids and its size.
The cause of heavy periods often becomes such a disease as endometriosis. In the normal state, the endometrium is regularly updated in the cavity of the reproductive organ. Sometimes it happens that the mucous layer begins to grow on the peritoneum, ovaries, fallopian tubes or in the cervical canal. All this is a pathology. With the next monthly begins to bleed and this layer. Often, the discharge becomes brownish or chocolate. Also, the patient may note the presence of clots.
Treatment of endometriosis is carried out by different methods. The most effective of them is surgical. Also, doctors often inject a woman into an artificial climax. Pregnancy and subsequent prolonged breastfeeding have a positive effect on the female body and often lead to recovery.
Inflammations and infections
Abundant periods after an abortion or any other intervention may indicate the accession of the infection. In this case, a woman may notice pain in the lower abdomen, general malaise, fever and other additional symptoms.
Correction of this state must be carried out necessarily. Otherwise, there will be complications in the form of adhesions, the transition pathology in the chronic form, and so on. In most cases, infection of the genital tract and the inflammatory process are treated with antibacterial drugs. What kind of antimicrobial agents are necessary for a woman is decided after a special analysis, which is called "bacteriological culture". Also assigned immunomodulating compositions and means of restoring microflora.
Miscarriage, or spontaneous abortion
Abundant periods after a delay may indicate that there was a pregnancy, but it was interrupted. In some cases, the representative of the weaker sex does not even have time to find out about her new condition.
For very short periods, correction may not be necessary. If in the uterus does not remain the membranes of the ovum, the female body independently coped with the problem. When abortion occurs after six to eight weeks and is accompanied by heavy bleeding, the woman needs help. It may consist in the use of drugs that increase the contractile ability of the genital organ. Also, sometimes the patient requires curettage of the uterus.
The body of each woman is individual. This is especially true of the reproductive system. Every woman's menstrual cycle proceeds with individual characteristics. And very often, the fair sex faces such a problem as heavy periods. And this applies not only pain, but also heavy bleeding. What to do in this situation? What to drink during menstruation, when the volume of blood loss is significant? This question worries so many women. In this article you will find answers to the question of what can be the cause of heavy menstruation and what hemostatic drugs for menstruation can be used.
Causes of heavy blood loss during menstruation
The volume of blood loss, as well as the duration of menstruation, is an individual parameter. However, it is believed that the loss of more than 150 ml of blood with menstrual flow is excessive. But before you run to the pharmacy and buy a styptic for menstruation, you need to figure out what could be the causes of such blood loss.
The main reasons for heavy periods, which should be excluded, are as follows:
- polyps - benign mucous membrane formation, which can not manifest itself, only by abundant menstruation,
- uterine fibroids - a benign neoplasm of muscle or connective tissue, which at small sizes may be asymptomatic, and the only sign may be heavy periods with heavy bleeding,
- Endometriosis is a hormone-dependent disease in which uterine mucous membrane proliferates in the form of nodes in the uterus or outside it, a symptom of this disease is pain before menstruation and during, menstrual disorders, as well as heavy menstruation.
In addition to the above, the causes of heavy blood loss during menstruation can be:
- hormonal imbalance,
- inflammatory diseases of the uterus and appendages,
- pathology of the blood coagulation system,
- lack of vitamin K,
It is also important to remember that the cause of menstrual disorders and, in particular, abundant blood loss, may be surgery, including laparoscopy. Monthly in this situation can be restored for a long time.
Abundant menstruation in adolescents
Also, the cause of heavy monthly periods may be an unspecified menstrual cycle. This is typical for girls aged 13-16 years. In this situation, you should not immediately take the medicine for menstruation, often the cycle normalizes on its own. However, in any case, in case of excessive blood loss, you should consult a gynecologist to rule out possible diseases. Many girls are trying to test for periods, which are very many on the Internet, but you need to understand that each person has a physiology of individual. For unsteady menstrual cycles, young girls find it very useful to keep such an accounting system as the monthly table. This will help to clearly track whether there is a violation of the cycle, to fix its duration. The monthly table is nothing more than a display in the calendar of the start and end dates of menstruation with notes about its nature (the presence or absence of pain, profusion).
Menstruation when installing intrauterine device
Often the cause of heavy menstruation is an established intrauterine device. Monthly in this case can be abundant. If a woman makes a decision on the choice of intrauterine contraception, she must be observed by a specialist and undergo regular examinations. Many women note that after the helix was installed:
- menstruation was accompanied by a large loss of blood
- in some cases, on the contrary, menstruation becomes scarce.
In such situations, only a doctor can determine what is the norm, and what is the pathology, and whether it is necessary to take a hemostatic drug for menstruation or it is worth changing the contraceptive method.
Hemostatic agents for menstruation
In the presence of abundant blood loss during menstruation, the most faithful will be to contact a specialist to conduct a full examination and exclude possible diseases. With heavy periods, the following drugs may be prescribed:
This drug is a synthetic analogue of vitamin K, which is actively involved in blood clotting, namely it affects the formation of prothrombin. Vikasol with heavy periods can be used only as prescribed by a physician, as this drug has certain indications and contraindications. It should be understood that vikasol with heavy periods is effective only if the cause of blood loss is vitamin K deficiency. Therefore, it is strongly not recommended to prescribe such a drug yourself.
Dicine is also often used for menstruation. This is a hemostatic drug prescribed for heavy bleeding. Dysinon in menstruation is usually prescribed in the case when the cause of bleeding is fibroids, as well as vascular diseases. Like any other drugs, dicinon has specific indications and contraindications, side effects, so taking dicinone during menstruation can be strictly on doctor's orders.
This drug is a synthetic analogue of gonadotropin-releasing hormone, belongs to the group of anticancer drugs. Such a drug as diferelin, monthly regulates at the level of sensitivity of peripheral receptors to GRH. Used drug for endometriosis, uterine myoma. Only after examination by a doctor and confirmation of an appropriate diagnosis can be assigned diferilin. Monthly in abundant form must be a reason to see a specialist.
Tranexam with menstruation is used quite often. This hemostatic medication for menstruation can be prescribed in different situations. This is a modern hemostatic drug, the mechanism of action of which is the activation of fibrinolysin and the formation of plasmin. Tranexam with menstruation is usually prescribed in pill form, and its reception should be under the supervision of a physician.
Ascorutin is a drug that contains vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, and rutin. It is used for menses quite often. Its action is to strengthen the walls of blood vessels, as well as reduce the fragility and permeability of capillaries. Also, this drug has antioxidant properties, thereby improving overall health.
There are many reasons for heavy periods. Many women try to solve this problem on their own by taking hemostatic drugs during their periods. However, to achieve the desired effect it is very important to understand what the cause of blood loss is. And only a specialist can determine this correctly.
What is menorrhagia
What is menorrhagia
Too abundant periods in science are called menorrhagia. But few people imagine what signs of strong menstruation are.
So, you need to worry if during the menstruation you feel the following symptoms:
- Monthly lasts more than a week
- Every hour there is a need to change the pad or tampon,
- You use two gaskets at once to avoid leakage,
What causes the profusion of menstruation
Abundant periods arise against the background of many diseases. It is necessary to approach such monthly periods seriously and it will be more correct to turn to a specialist in order not to harm your reproductive health.
Science knows the following reasons for very copious days:
- Disbalance of hormonal background violated. This is often found in girls at the very beginning of puberty. The body is just beginning to restore the cycle. More abundant periods often occur in women before menopause. During menopause, a cardinal restructuring of the body occurs and the opportunity to conceive a child is lost, and the monthly, then very abundant, then go poorly. For these two types, this is the norm, all other cases require qualified intervention,
- Ovulatory process disrupted. Disorders of the ovaries also affect the profusion of menstruation,
- Oncological diseases. Cancer of the female organs (ovaries, uterus, cervix) can cause a strong discharge of blood,
- Gynecological drugs. For example, contraceptive drugs,
- Benign tumors. This refers to fibroma or uterine fibroids,
- Polyps. It is a small formation, bearing a benign character, on the walls of the uterus. They arise from the activity of hormones,
- Intrauterine device. Unfortunately, the profusion of menstruation is a side effect and requires urgent removal,
- Pregnancy. Ectopic or miscarriage may also show abundance,
- Anemia. Lack of iron in the body.
- Micronutrient deficiency. Lack of vitamin C and K, calcium,
- Excessive consumption of dairy products. They provoke the production of enzymes, which reduces blood clotting,
- Disrupted blood coagulation. Those people who have von Willebrand disease (problems with blood clotting), during critical days, noticeably lose blood,
- Endocrine Disruption,
- Endometriosis. It is characterized by proliferation of the endometrium (uterine wall) beyond the uterus.
- Diseases of the pelvic organs. These are infections or inflammatory processes in the urogenital system,
- Heredity. If your moms or grandmothers had heavy periods, there is a high probability that you will have such a situation on critical days.
- External factors. Oddly enough, but what you feel affects your health. Stress, unrest, negative thoughts, excessive power loads, climate change - all this can affect the abundance of critical days.
Separately, I want to say about the first heavy monthly after childbirth. They can also be with blood clots and are treated anyway, even if you are a nursing mother. After all, severe bleeding after childbirth can have dire consequences, including death.
Treatment of heavy critical days
Treatment of heavy menstruation
Очень обильные менструации или менорргагия бывает двух видов:
Primary menorrhagia occurs at the very beginning of puberty and is a temporary problem. As soon as the levels of progesterone and estrogen are normalized, the monthly cycle will also improve. Sometimes, heavy periods can indicate low hemoglobin and can later cause polycystic ovarian disease.
The second type occurs already in women whose monthly periods were stable. In this case, profusion may indicate diseases. So in any case, it is better to turn to a gynecologist to exclude all possible causes in the future.
If a girl suffers from very heavy bleeding, you can first try to exclude from your daily routine:
- Power loads
- To minimize the use of alcohol and tobacco products, as well as reduce the intake of coffee drinks,
- Avoid overheating of the body,
- If you use vasodilators, then after consultation with the doctor, remove them from use. Since they can cause a very strong rush of blood,
- Try to avoid stress, less nervous, eliminate mental fatigue, etc.
But to make your habit the following recommendations:
- Introduce vitamin C, folic acid and iron in your diet. All these trace elements and vitamins promote better blood circulation,
- The well-known method, which was done even by our ancestors, is a hot water bottle on the lower abdomen. Somewhere 10 minutes is enough
- And the most pleasant recommendation: rest, relaxing massage. The psychological state always affects the quality of life in general.
In addition, doctors can still prescribe and products of folk remedies:
- Nettle. An indispensable tool to stop the blood. To do this, take a tablespoon of dry nettle plants and pour a glass of water, boil for 10 minutes and insist. Take a week before the expected monthly half a cup 3 times a day.
- A very good helper is tea from the usual raspberry and mint. Unlimited number.
- Not bad proved such medicinal herbs: camomile pharmacy, geranium, shepherd's bag, cat's paws, herbal packs. All of them have hemostatic and anti-inflammatory properties. Here is a shepherd's purse recipe: 3 tablespoons of dry grass should be poured with a glass of boiled water. Insist, strain and take throughout the day.
- Decoction. Ingredients: nettle, yarrow and burnet. Preparation: a tablespoon of plants in a glass of boiling water. We put in a water bath for 15 minutes and filter. This medicine is taken in the middle of the cycle 4 times a day before meals. The course of treatment is two weeks.
All of the above may help, but not always such recommendations help to stop the copious periods. In such cases, in order not to aggravate the situation and improve the quality of your life, it is better to turn to a specialist. He, in turn, will appoint a series of tests in order to find the cause of the pathology.
What tests a doctor may prescribe:
- Cytology smear,
- Blood test,
- Inspection of internal and external genital organs.
Also, the doctor will need information about pregnancy (whether or not), complications of gynecological operations, including childbirth and abortion. They took or are taking any medications that can affect very heavy bleeding.
Of course, the patient must enter the calendar of her critical days. When did they begin, how long did they last, when did their character end, and the intensity.
Treatment of strong periods
Having identified the cause of menorrhagia, the gynecologist prescribes treatment:
- When unbalanced hormonal disruptions, prescribed medications. They are taken strictly according to the scheme, which the doctor will issue. It is likely to be oral hormonal contraceptives (COCs). They include estrogen and progesterone, which will reduce the secretions and prevent the endometrium (uterine wall) from growing. There are times when one hormone can be prescribed. It all depends on the problem
- If heavy menstruation is caused by an inflammatory process, the treatment will be to soothe the pain center. For example, anti-inflammatory medicine nurofen.
- Even during inflammatory processes, physiotherapy becomes an excellent aid to the treatment,
- Patients with fibroma, if it does not require removal, are given internal injections,
- Where the endometrium grows, intrauterine tampons with a therapeutic gel may be prescribed. Its property is to reduce the amount of discharge, and, consequently, the thickness of the uterine wall decreases.
There are also situations that require surgery:
- Physical pathologies
- Severe iron deficiency in the body,
- Fibroma at the growth stage,
- Damaged genitals,
- When other treatments do not give any result.
In conclusion, I would like to note that very abundant periods prevent a woman from living a normal life. So why not trust a good specialist to prevent complications in the reproductive system and automatically significantly improve their lives. After all, as they say, everything is in our hands.
Why are abundant periods
Abundant menstruation can be hereditary or be a sign of the disease.
- discharge continues more than a week
- clots come out of the vagina,
- there is a need to change the gasket every hour,
- menstruation is accompanied by pain
- The menstrual cycle is shorter than 21 days.
You need to know what depends on the abundance:
- hormonal imbalances in the body,
- strict diet,
- postpartum period.
Diet - a strong stress for the body. Unbalanced diet leads to disruption of the enzyme system. Excessive consumption of fermented milk products increases the rate of formation of substances that destroy small blood clots.
Exhausting physical exertion and psycho-emotional shocks upset the hormonal balance. The connections between the brain and the genitals are interrupted. In this case, a general imbalance occurs.
Reduced thyroid function leads to a malfunction of the endocrine organs. Metabolic processes are slowed down, the links between hormones are broken, the body's work is disturbed.
Liver disease leads to defects of the blood coagulation system. In a vessel in the place of endometrial detachment no thrombus is formed. The vessel bleeds for a long time.
Such periods cause anemia, pressure reduction, metabolic disorders, poor health, social discomfort.
Menorrhagia can be primary and secondary. Primary observed in girls on the background of the formation of the menstrual cycle. Not a pathology. Secondary appears in pathological processes in the body and diseases.
The question arises why such monthly are dangerous. This may be the first sign of illness.
- Myoma. A benign tumor of the uterus emanating from the muscle layer. It occurs due to hormonal imbalance and leads to the formation of additional tissue.
- Endometrial hyperplasia. Thickening of the inner layer of the uterus. Menstruation becomes too heavy due to the increased volume of the rejected tissue.
- Endometrial polyposis. The polyp is located in the cavity or in the cervix. Due to the fact that the uterus can not be reduced, there are copious periods with clots.
- Endometriosis. Benign disease in which there are additional foci of the endometrium. It is known that such a spread leads to increased bleeding during menstruation.
- Abortion. Abundant secretions may be due to residual fetal membranes.
- Malignant diseases of the pelvic organs. Cause hormonal disorders. With monthly periods, there may be tissue particles disintegration of the tumor.
- Ovarian dysfunction. It leads to hormonal disruptions. May come monthly ahead of time. The cycle becomes anovulatory.
How to reduce heavy discharge
Women are concerned about how to make their periods less abundant. Treatment includes a number of activities aimed at the natural formation of a blood clot. Major:
- reduce physical activity
- put an ice pack on the underbelly
- increase the consumption of products containing iron,
- reduce coffee consumption and eliminate alcohol,
- taking vitamins (vitamin C, Ascorutin, folic acid),
- soothing tea.
Symptomatic treatment is indicated. You need to know what to use drugs for heavy periods.
- Askorutin. Increases the tone of blood vessels. Reduces capillary fragility. Stops bleeding due to spasm.
- Ditsinon. Specific treatment. Strengthens the vascular wall. Improves microcirculation. Has a vasoconstrictor effect. Accelerates the formation of a blood clot.
- Vitamin C. Reduces blood viscosity. Strengthens blood vessels. Increases capillary resistance.
- Folic acid (vitamin B9). Participates in metabolic processes. Improves iron absorption. It has a positive effect on the functioning of the nervous system.
- Iron preparations. Increase the iron content in the blood, improve the nutrition of tissues, accelerate metabolic processes.
- Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin). Regulates blood formation. Provides the formation of red blood cells (red blood cells).
- Vikasol. Analogue of vitamin K, produced in the liver. Participates in the formation of a blood clot.
- Tranexam. The drug is a new generation. Promotes oppression of the enzymes destroying blood clot. Often prescribed as the main treatment.
- Hormonal contraceptives. Used to turn off your own hormones. Contribute to the normalization of hormonal levels and closing the gaping vessels.
- Calcium gluconate. Used to normalize tissue metabolism. Improves uterine muscle contraction, increases blood clotting. It has a hemostatic effect.
- Aminocaproic acid. Synthetic drug that suppresses the enzymes that destroy the blood clot. Reduces capillary permeability, has an anti-toxic effect.
Folk remedies for heavy periods
Apply folk remedies for heavy periods. This is the so-called homeopathy. Does not act as an independent treatment.
- Tincture of water pepper, created on the basis of pepper grass, strengthens blood vessels, reduces their permeability. It accelerates blood clotting. Increases uterine contractility.
- Nettle infusion contains vitamins B, K, ascorbic and pantothenic acid. Increases blood clotting. Does not cause systemic blood clots.
- Yarrow extract improves blood clotting. Acts for a long time. Promotes blood clots.
- The bark of viburnum (oak). The composition contains resins, phytoncides, tannins and acids. Establishes metabolic processes. Strengthens uterine tone. Accelerates the formation of a blood clot.
- Raspberry leaves contain flavonoids, tannins, ascorbic acid. Increase vascular tone, reduce capillary fragility.
- Rose hips contain a large amount of vitamins A, C, P, E, K, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, tannins. Strengthen the contraction of the uterus, reduce bleeding time.
- Silverweed goose contains vitamin C, acids, wax, starch. It constricts blood vessels, lowers capillary permeability. Does not cause side effects.
Herbal Broth Recipes
Start taking broths and infusions should be a week before the expected monthly. Drink before the end of bleeding. The most common recipes from nettle, viburnum bark, oak, herb pepper mountaineer.
Nettle extract (or yarrow) is prepared as follows: pour 1 tablespoon of nettle stems or yarrow with a glass of boiling water. Insist 15 minutes. Drink a tablespoon three times a day.
Infusion from the bark of oak or viburnum is easy to prepare. Oak bark (or viburnum) dry and chop. A glass of bark pour 500 ml of vodka. Infuse in a dark place for 7 days, shaking the container daily. Strain. Take, dissolving a teaspoon of tincture in 50 ml of water 2-3 times a day.
A decoction of raspberry leaves is prepared quickly. To do this, pour 3 tbsp. spoons of crushed raspberry leaves with 2 cups boiling water. Insist 6 hours. Strain and you can use half a cup 4 times a day.
Herbal pepper mint is made from medical alcohol. Take 100 grams of fresh herbs, chop, pour 300 ml of 70-degree alcohol. Insist in a dark place for 10 days. Shake the contents daily. Strain. Drink before meals 20-30 drops 3 times a day.
Herbal tea decoction can be used instead of tea. Required: a tablespoon of rosehips, a tablespoon of mountaineer grass, two spoons of silverweed goose, a tablespoon of yarrow, a tablespoon of crushed oak bark. Stir and add water. Boil for 15 minutes. Defend. Drink a glass 3-4 times a day during the week.
Before using a folk remedy, you should consult a doctor. It should not be forgotten that early detection of a true disease can maintain health.