Menstruation is a physiological process that imposes a number of restrictions on a woman. Due to poor health these days, many refuse to sports training, walking in the fresh air. To stay in a good mood during desquamation, girls stop discomfort in different ways: some eat sweets, others drink alcohol. In this article we will talk about whether it is possible to drink alcohol during menstruation.
The effect of alcohol on the blood and blood vessels
Regardless of the state of the body, ethyl alcohol has a toxic effect on it. Women who want to understand whether it is possible to drink alcohol during their periods should be aware that when they get into the blood, ethyl alcohol destroys all organ systems.
Gynecologists do not recommend drinking wine, vodka and other alcoholic beverages on critical days, as they are a negative factor affecting the body.
After drinking, the reproductive system also takes a hit. However, some doctors insist on the benefits of alcohol intake during menstruation.
The effect that alcohol has on the body is not always disastrous. The fact is that its moderate use allows the blood vessels to expand and, as a result, partially arrest the pain that occurs in the lower abdomen during desquamation.
Therefore, if a girl’s well-being leaves much to be desired, alcohol during menstruation can be used to improve her condition. The main thing is not to abuse them.
When excess ethanol gets into the stomach, the body retains water. As a result, the well-being of those who drink it, significantly deteriorates. This is one of the arguments for the negative effects of alcohol.
In addition, there are a number of contraindications during menstruation, therefore we recommend reading more detailed information on this topic.
Gynecologists do not recommend drinking beer and other weak drinks during menstruation, because this will affect not only the well-being, but also the duration of menstruation.
It should be borne in mind that as a result of drinking large amounts of beer at the beginning of desquamation, the menstrual flow will become more intense. And if you drink it in the last days of menstruation, they can last for several days.
Why it is undesirable to drink during menstruation
Speaking about how alcohol affects your period, we found that using it can increase the intensity of menstrual bleeding. But this is not the only consequence.
Drinking alcohol on critical days is not desirable for such reasons:
- If it enters the blood, alcohol can adversely affect the well-being during the menstrual period. It enhances the intensity of discomfort, making it more pronounced. Therefore, if you drink spirits during desquamation, it is possible to provoke the occurrence of severe pain in the ovaries.
- After alcohol, the discharge during menstruation will become copious. If during the month a woman regularly consumed alcohol, it is possible that her current desquamation will be long (6–9 days).
- Strong alcoholic beverages prevent the natural release of fluid from the body. Therefore, during menstruation is prohibited to use them.
- When ethyl alcohol gets into the blood, it provokes an increased production of stress hormone by the body - cortisol, as a result of which the mood that is consumed by menstruating women dramatically worsens. The psycho-emotional state does not improve due to the unstable hormonal background in these days.
- Alcohol can cause menstrual disorders. Therefore, it is not recommended to use it during desquamation and a few days before its occurrence.
What alcohol and how much does not harm the health
During the month you can drink wine. But this does not mean that if a woman drinks a bottle of this drink in one evening, her condition will not worsen.
Red wine has a reducing effect due to blood loss, but it is important to know in what quantities it is allowed to drink this drink during menstruation. It is recommended to consume 1–1.5 glasses of dry / semi-dry wine in one day.
Thanks to this, the regenerative functions of the body are activated.
Red wine is only useful in small quantities. Consumption of more than 2 glasses can lead to increased blood loss.
What other alcohol can you drink during menstruation? These days it is allowed to use a small amount of such strong drinks as vodka, whiskey and cognac. In order to prevent the deterioration of health, they can only be sip.
If a menstruating woman decided to allow herself some alcohol, then she is advised to drink a glass of water or juice. This will strengthen the work of the excretory system.
Tips and tricks
Pampering yourself with red wine should not eat large amounts of fatty foods. In addition, there are certain rules for eating during menstruation.
It is contraindicated to take home tinctures made from herbal for relieving menstrual pain.
Before an important event is not recommended to swim in a hot tub. This can lead to infection of the pelvic organs.
If the menstruating woman pleased herself with 1 glass of dry wine, her activity should be moderate. It is important to remember that excessive exercise on critical days is a factor that has a negative effect on the body. Therefore, you should not actively engage in sports during menstruation.
Physiology of the female body
Nature has endowed women with “critical days” for a reason — this is due to reproductive function. Spotting is necessary in order to clear the uterus from already dead eggs and sperm that have accumulated there (if they got there), as well as unsuccessful embryos that failed to attach to the epithelium.
Menstruation is over, and the body begins to prepare for a new cycle to ensure normal conditions for fertilization. Conception is planned or not, nature is not interested - the body should be ready for it every month.
Ideally, such cycling for women is a routine for which she prepares each time. Menstruation should be painless, not abundant and give the woman light inconvenience within 3-4 days. In reality, everything is more complicated - many people begin to experience pain even before the menstrual cycle begins. Spasms affect not only the stomach - the headache also hurts (and some even have pressure).
In such a situation, some women try to rest in critical days, while others (if they are not very bloody) continue to lead an active lifestyle. In this rhythm, trips to visit or a restaurant, or friendly gatherings with girlfriends over a glass of wine can occur. But is it possible to take alcohol during menstruation, or is it fraught with consequences?
The influence of alcohol on the body
The influence of alcohol on the woman's body
Drinking alcohol is in itself a bad habit, but there are situations in life when you cannot get around this point. Wedding, anniversary or just a name day traditionally do not do without taking alcohol. Here we are not talking about whether to drink or not to drink, the main thing is to know the measure in order to enjoy the holiday.
In other situations, women with alcohol relieve stress or try to relax in such a way after intense events. This is not a crime if there is no abuse that develops into a strong habit.
At each of the situations described, the onset of menstruation may occur, but women rarely think about whether to drink alcohol during menstruation or not. But alcohol during this period can have a negative impact, making the days even more critical.
- Alcohol promotes the expansion of blood vessels, thereby accelerating blood circulation. Such drinks can increase menstruation, turning it into bleeding.
- Ethyl alcohol affects the work of the kidneys and inhibits the elimination of excess fluid from the body, which already adversely affects the metabolism. The same process also influences the monthly periods, so that a siphon of alcohol on critical days can result in puffiness.
- Any change in the hormonal background adversely affects the psycho-emotional state, with which a woman sometimes tries to cope with the help of alcohol. But alcohol only acts excitingly in the first few minutes, then comes the “reaction of suppression”.
Red and white wines
Once at the holiday table, a woman during menstruation can afford to consume a small amount of alcohol. But here's what you can drink, and what better to give up - this nuance should not be ignored.
- When the pressure rises, it is recommended to "take on the chest" a little brandy. He, indeed, quickly expands blood vessels and relieves headaches. But at the same time, menstrual bleeding will increase. It should be borne in mind that the short-term vasodilating effect - as soon as cognac disappears from the body, the vessels narrow very quickly, which can lead to rupture of the capillaries.
- Vodka, brandy, whiskey and other similar beverages with a high alcohol content are not only a blow to the kidneys, but also to the heart. This alcohol clogs the blood vessels, making the blood "poor quality". Since he was taken at the beginning of the monthly cycle, the remnants of alcohol will circulate throughout the body until the next menstruation, bringing negative to all organs.
- Beer at any stage does not have the best effect on metabolism - hence the excessive fullness of the lovers of this drink, acne on the face. Menstruation = is also a failure, and when 2 factors overlap, the effect is enhanced. In addition, during menstruation, a woman may have signs of intestinal upset, which is exacerbated by beer fermentation.
Wines are an easier option, but here there are some nuances. It should be a quality drink, not a cheap “waggle”. In this case, preference should be given to red varieties - they are attributed to medicinal properties.
A number of recommendations
After finding out how alcohol affects menstruation, and which drinks should be discarded, the woman will be more circumspect on critical days. Once at the holiday table, it is advisable to follow the recommendations below.
- Of all types of alcoholic beverages, the choice should be stopped on a good red dessert wine - it has the lowest percentage of negative impact on the female body.
- Limit should be a small amount of alcohol - 1-2 glasses of wine for the whole day will be enough.
- You can not mix alcoholic beverages, and it is also desirable to abandon cocktails (especially the so-called ruffs) - each component in its own way affects the body, which can introduce it into a stressful situation.
- You need to be more careful in choosing snacks - during menstruation, it is advisable to spare your digestive system, which is already undergoing failure due to critical days. Vegetable salads, fish dishes, light cold cuts, cheeses - the best option.
- Nicotine is another malicious element that can complicate critical days. In combination with ethyl alcohol, cigarettes become a dangerous mixture that can provoke painful uterine spasms.
- When consuming alcohol during menstruation, you should eliminate coffee - too much stress will go to the brain vessels and the heart.
- To absorb the effects of alcohol on the body will help green tea. It also has a positive effect on the psycho-emotional state, relieves spasmodic symptoms and will help slow blood flow slightly.
Assessing the degree of negativity on your body, you should refuse to take alcohol during menstruation, so as not to harm your condition. But after they stop, a little red wine will be a good medicine for blood recovery. It is recommended to drink 2 tbsp before breakfast for 3-4 days after the critical days. l red wine with lemon juice (a few drops) or add honey with walnuts to the drink.
Nuances of female physiology
The main indicators of the health of the representatives of the weaker sex is the regularity of the monthly cycle. The physiology of this process lies in the fact that the female ovary produces an egg cell every month. After its maturation, the egg begins to advance to the uterine organ along the fallopian tube. In the process, the egg can be fertilized.
If fertilization does not occur, the body stops producing the hormone progesterone. The result is a slight damage to the blood vessels of the uterine lining and the appearance of bleeding..
The first critical days come to modern women at the age of 11-14 years. The reproductive age itself lasts up to 45-55 and ends in menopause.
Normal monthly are considered in the following cases:
- The amount of blood separated: 50-150 ml.
- Duration of bleeding: 2-7 days.
- The secretions themselves have a bright scarlet color and normally can contain small blood clots.
- The duration of the cycle itself: 20–35 days (a deviation from the indicated figures for 1-3 days in the direction of reduction / increase is permissible).
What affects the normal course of menstruation?
But the female body is particularly sensitive hormones. Namely, the functionality of the reproductive organs depends on its state. During menstruation, their normal course is influenced by a number of certain factors. In particular:
- unhealthy food,
- negative ecology,
- poor living conditions
- difficult working conditions
- sudden climate change,
- stress, nerve strain,
- various chronic or past illnesses.
Symptoms of cycle abnormality
When one or several negative factors have a destructive effect on the functioning of the organs of the reproductive system, this leads to an imbalance. Menstruation begins to take place with various deviations.. Pathological changes in critical days are expressed as follows:
- intercyclical bleeding (the so-called "daub"),
- menstrual flow has the appearance of large lumps,
- a violation in the duration of the cycle itself (up to 20 or from 32-35 days),
- deviations (increase / decrease) of blood loss (from 170–200 ml or scanty, less than 50 ml),
- changes in the number of days during which blood is released (from a week or less than 2 days),
- manifestation of algomenorrhea (severe pain during menstruation, accompanied by fatigue, loss of strength and dizziness).
Absolutely painless cycle in our days, rarely among women can boast. And traditionally for some sufferers it becomes the removal of painful spasms by drinking alcohol. In this case, the ladies do not even think about whether you can drink alcohol during menstruation.
Alcohol-containing drinks respond extremely negatively to the healthy functioning of the sexual and endocrine system. Ethanol has a devastating effect on the female body, adversely affecting all the processes occurring there.
Alcohol and menstrual cycle
Many women resort to the "saving" power of alcohol to stop or reduce discomfort. The discomfort itself may begin several days before the next cycle..
Premenstrual syndrome. Three to four days before the arrival of the menstruation itself, many women experience various ailments. They are expressed in:
- mood swings
- psychological discomfort,
- weakness and general malaise,
- pulling spasms at the bottom of the peritoneum,
- breast tenderness, its swelling.
The period of menstruation. This time sometimes passes on the background of simply unbearable pain. To all the symptoms already mentioned, a strong pain is added. Pain impulses are a kind of spasm, shooting, often piercing sensations. They can be deployed in the lumbar region and lower abdomen.
Many women who complain about the pain of menstruation, say that sometimes it becomes impossible to endure such sensations. There is a feeling that they twist the whole body and break the bones. It becomes clear that the only desire that arises against the background of suffering is to relieve oneself and relax. But how does alcohol affect your period, what do doctors think about it?
You can drink, but in limited quantities
Many doctors calmly refer to the consumption of an ascendant during menstruation. But with only one reservation - to drink only weak wine during menstruation, forgetting about strong drinks. It is better to use red dry, only natural alcohol.
According to many doctors, dry red wine helps relieve unpleasant symptoms and relieve painful spasms.
Grape spirits also help restore the number of red blood cells. It is only important to comply with the norm, and then a glass of red natural wine will really help women (especially those suffering from anemia) to normalize health more likely.
Alcohol is strictly prohibited.
According to another opinion, to take any alcohol (even to drink beer during menstruation) is not recommended. А особенно опасным спиртное становится в случае слишком обильных выделений. Дело в том, что алкоголь способствует усилению кровотечения, так как обладает мощным сосудорасширяющим эффектом.
And immediately after taking alcohol, the amount of discharge even decreases slightly. But after a while, menstruation resumes with tripled force. We should not forget about the destructive effect of ethanol on the female body.
Of course, every woman has the right to decide whether she will relax with the help of a fire. But still it would not be superfluous to talk in more detail about the fact that alcohol consumption can be bad during critical days.
The influence of alcohol on the well-being of women during menstruation
Ethyl alcohol is essentially a poisonous toxin. It has a destructive effect on the work of all internal organs of a person. Affects the brain, nervous, cardiovascular and reproductive system of women.
The negative effect of alcoholic beverages when taking them during the menstrual cycle is especially pronounced.
How exactly can alcohol affect your period and what are the consequences? The most common negative factors include the following:
- increased pain,
- deterioration of general well-being,
- negatively affects the general psycho-emotional background, significantly worsening it,
- will lead to future problems with the menstrual cycle, making them irregular,
- an increase in the period of menstruation, since ethyl alcohol prevents the natural care of fluids from the body.
What determines the negative outcome
These unpleasant symptoms can not be called mandatory. Will they appear, and to what extent, is an individual matter. And their appearance depends on the following factors when consuming alcohol during menstruation:
- Age of the woman and her state of health.
- What kind of alcohol is drunk and in what quantity.
- How exactly does alcohol affect it (degree of susceptibility).
- As usually pass critical days, whether they are accompanied by any disorders.
Consequences of alcohol consumption
Many gynecologists say that alcohol consumption during menstruation has virtually no effect on the course of the cycle, only in some cases it strengthens it. But the vast majority of doctors still talk about the manifestation of some negative reactions. In particular:
- Doctors, discussing the question of whether there may be a delay in menstruation due to alcohol, talk about the positive aspects in this situation. That is, alcohol is able to provoke a certain inhibition of the natural arrival of the cycle for 3-4 days.
- Ethyl alcohol in some cases reduces the amount of discharge. Menstruation can become extremely scarce, which directly affects the normal functioning of the reproductive system and the weakening of uterine tone.
- But the duration of menstruation, on the contrary, increases. This nuance is noted by almost all the surveyed girls who regularly consumed alcohol during menstruation. On average, the bleeding time is extended by 2–3 days.
By the way, the overwhelming majority of women still complain not about the scarcity of secretions, but rather their significant increase.. It’s easy to explain - alcohol has powerful vasodilating effects. Against this background, blood flow to the uterine organ increases sharply.
Doctors gynecologists do not recommend to take alcohol during menstruation in those women whose critical days are characterized by abundant secretions.
At the same time, increased headache also comes to excessive menstruation, which is also explained by the expanding effect on alcohol vessels. A rise in blood pressure contributes to the deterioration of overall health. This syndrome is more common in individuals who suffer from the instability of blood pressure.
Useful recommendations for women
In order not to cause too much discomfort in general, you should follow some useful recommendations in order to make X-days feel better. These rules are fairly simple, but effective. They should especially be known to girls whose well-being during menstruation is far from ideal. So during the critical days:
- forget about fatty and heavy foods, limit coffee and chocolate intake,
- drink more fluids, especially prefer clean drinking water, natural fortified juices and green tea,
- take care of getting good emotions, walk more and enjoy the fresh air and pleasant conversations with friends / friends,
- follow regular bowel emptying, on critical days it is not necessary that the uterus experience excessive pressure from internal organs,
- It is not necessary to spend all days of painful menstruation in bed, but it is desirable to avoid physical exertion, you can just restrict yourself to light, gentle physical exercise.
And do not get carried away by self. In case of really unbearable menstruation, consult a doctor.. You may have to undergo a series of examinations and tests in order for the doctor to have information about your health. If necessary, be sure to undergo a course of treatment.
What to do at the feast
And what if there was an invitation to a long-awaited celebration? Do have to give up and spend these days alone for a cup of green tea? Do not deny yourself the joy of life, the emotional background also needs support. And in this case there are useful tips:
- during the celebration, give preference to natural dry red wine, but strong drinks (vodka, rum, whiskey, gin, brandy) should not be touched,
- drink, but in strictly moderate quantities, for the whole evening it is advisable to take alcohol no more than 1-2 glasses, it is better to drink alcohol, slowly, savor and enjoy the aroma of natural grapes,
- fast energetic dancing is better to give up, slow dance at your leisure, remember that active physical movements contribute to a rush of blood to the pelvic organs, which can increase bleeding,
- try to forget about smoking, nicotine in combination with alcohol creates an extremely dangerous symbiosis, which is very bad for the health and flow of menstruation,
- From snacks more lean on dishes from fish, lean meat, various light salads and stewed, steamed or boiled vegetables.
Such simple and simple advice will help to survive this difficult period and to prevent possible negative consequences from alcohol intake in the background of menstruation. But, in any case, if every month a woman has to deal with too painful periods, it is necessary to seek help from a doctor and not try to “treat” herself with alcohol.