Thrush (or candidiasis) is a disease whose pathogen is a fungus. It mainly occurs when mucous membranes are damaged and immunity is reduced. Candidiasis in women is a fairly common disease, while gynecologists advise not to delay treatment, because of the possible irreversible consequences. It can also affect the skin, covering it with red spots that cause discomfort in the form of itching. On the mucous pathogen manifests itself in the form of white plaque with dotted clusters. Thrush with bloody discharge is an acute form of the common thrush.
In this article, only the topic of vaginal discharge will be touched upon, but do not forget that this disease can affect other organs that have a mucous layer.
Why does candidiasis occur?
The main causes of candidiasis include:
- inflammatory process of the uterus,
- endometritis - inflammation of the inner lining of the vagina,
- oncology, polyps,
- taking some hormonal contraceptives, in particular, those that were not prescribed by a doctor,
- various genital infections
- taking certain medications
- fungus that can cause thrush.
Symptomatology manifests itself in the form of itching and burning in the external genital organs, discharge of a curd consistency with an unpleasant smell of white or yellow color, pain during sexual intercourse.
Types of discharge for thrush
Selections may have a different color and texture. If the secreted secretion in white thrush, a curd consistency, the smell of discharge is like a rotten fish, this means that the blood system is not affected, and the thrush is only a concomitant pathology of the uterus.
I would like to draw attention to the fact that in 2-4 days after the end of the menstruation the color of the discharge may change to brown, but in the future it will become white again. The duration of this stage mainly depends on the strength of the immunity and the amount of pathogen that has fallen on the mucous membranes.
Spotting in thrush occurs when the disease becomes acute. At the same time, they first become pink, which is already the first sign of damage to the vessels of the vaginal wall, and if left untreated, the discharge may become bloody.
Why does blood appear
Blood in candidiasis is not one of the first symptoms, since it appears when the disease forms are neglected, but it is blood that is the most visible and unpleasant symptom. A thrush with blood can have an almost imperceptible first stage, which is characterized by only white cheesy discharge.
The main reason for the presence of blood is a violation of the integrity of the vaginal mucosa, down to the blood vessels, which causes bleeding, and the fungus with other pathogens can enter the bloodstream. Thus, it can spread throughout the body and become almost incurable by adopting a chronic form. A sign of the development of the inflammatory process may be weakness, fever, intoxication and reduced immunity. This becomes the cause of menopause, impaired immunity, and even worse - the development of infertility.
In the initial stages, when the smallest vessels are damaged, it may be that there is a small amount of blood, and as a result, the discharge becomes pink. This stage is the boundary between the initial and the acute form of the disease.
Could this be dangerous
Naturally, the lack of treatment of any disease can lead to sad consequences. A particular danger is the form when there is bloody discharge. Due to the flow of the uterus, discomfort and the spread of infection can occur. When the disease collapses the walls of blood vessels, which leads to serious consequences.
Treatment of candidiasis complicated by bleeding
When blood appeared in thrush, it is much more difficult to cure than on the initial form of candidiasis, especially since there may remain some effects of the disease and other infections join. Mucocytes prescribed by a gynecologist or a dermatologist are effective in this situation, since they act directly on the pathogen, and do not suppress the symptoms.
Do not forget that this kind of medicine can also adversely affect the body as a whole. Often, drugs for treatment are available for ease of use in the form of ointments, although sometimes you can find drugs in the form of suppositories.
After treatment, the consequences of the disease sometimes remain, especially if it was started out of time. In severe forms, complete healing may not occur, since the pathogen is already in the whole body, decentralized.
Do not forget that thrush can not go by itself without treatment, like a common cold. Folk medicine is better not to be limited, because the consequences can be very serious, irreversible and cause inflammation in the ovaries, which will lead not only to disruption of the menstrual cycle and severe pain in the abdomen, but also to infertility. It is better to consult a gynecologist before the disease has developed into a chronic form. An acute form of the disease with bleeding is urgently needed!
Symptoms of the disease
The traditional clinical picture, in which the doctor can accurately establish thrush, is as follows:
- White heavy discharge thick consistency, upon examination of the discharge cover the mucous membranes of the vagina and cervical canal,
- Severe itching of the perineum, burning sensation when moving and at rest,
- Redness and swelling of the labia,
- Soreness when urinating, touching and carrying out hygiene procedures,
- Painful intercourse.
Symptoms can be severely expressed, but sometimes the thrush is asymptomatic, going into the chronic phase. Symptoms appear at the first relapse.
Diagnosis is carried out regardless of whether there are symptoms or a chronic disease. The fact is that thrush can be transmitted with a number of other diseases of the urogenital system that are sexually transmitted.
Chlamydia, herpes virus, ureaplasma, trichomonas, streptococci, staphylococcus and a number of other pathogens can be transmitted from the fungus of the Candida family that causes thrush.
The following methods are used to diagnose co-infections and thrush itself:
- Smear the walls of the vagina on bacteriological seeding. The smear microflora is grown in special laboratory conditions, then it is examined by a microscopic method to identify the qualitative composition of microflora.
- Urinalysis - allows you to identify fungal and other infections in the urethra, as the waste products and spores of the fungus are washed through the channel along with the urine.
- Complete blood count - a study of the concentration of erythrocytes, leukocytes and erythrocyte sedimentation rate makes it clear about the development of the inflammatory process caused by thrush.
These methods are usually sufficient to confirm the diagnosis made by the gynecologist during the examination of the patient.
Atypical consider bloody discharge in thrush. It is when they are detected that the doctor insists on the diagnosis of co-infections. However, worry about this immediately is not worth it.
Blood secretions can be caused by Candida fungus alone for several reasons:
- Acute itching and swelling of the vagina make the tissues sensitive, they are easily injured. Escaping from itching, you can easily damage the walls of the vagina. In addition, the discharge from the blood is possible with mechanical damage during sexual contact, examination by a gynecologist or hygiene procedures. This does not mean that they were done carelessly, but the inflamed membranes are easily injured even with careful touches.
- The side effects of some antimycotic drugs can also cause bleeding. In particular, vaginal suppositories have the property of vascular dilation, can cause burning of the mucous membranes. Such effects, for example, has Hexicon, Clotrimazole.
- Hormonal disruptions, as a common cause of thrush, also cause bleeding. But this time the discharge comes from the uterus, and not from the walls of the vagina and labia. Overtime discharge in the middle of the cycle with blood is the first sign of hormonal disorders.
Neglected forms of the disease
Blood for candidiasis can also appear simply because the disease has not been treated. This is not always the patient's fault: during the asymptomatic course of thrush, the fungus has enough time to multiply and hit the mucous membranes.
With an incorrectly constructed treatment strategy, candidiasis is not completely cured and becomes chronic. In this case, the reproduction of the fungus continues not only on the vaginal epithelium, but affects the connective tissue, capillaries and blood vessels.
This form of candidiasis requires immediate treatment, because the fungus is able to spread through the bloodstream throughout the body. It is much more difficult to get rid of generalized infection than with local manifestations.
When running forms, even when removing white discharge from the walls of the vagina, small erosion with small blood points is formed.
- Reproduction of the fungus in the urethra leads to the fact that white discharge appear in the urine. The inflammatory process continues in the form of concomitant cystitis, which is characterized by bloody urine.
- Bacterial vaginosis caused by prolonged thrush causes vascular fragility at the vaginal walls, because blood is mixed with secretions.
- More serious pathologies, such as erosion of the cervix, are accompanied not only by bleeding, but also by small clots of rejected epithelium.
- The same pattern is observed with endometritis - the growth of uterine epithelium.
Self-treatment in this case is strictly prohibited, because it can lead to complications and again provoke the transition of the disease into the remission phase, without removing the fungus from the body.
If, in addition to the Candida fungus, nothing is found, treatment is prescribed:
- Vaginal suppositories: Kanesten, Ginesol, Pimafucin, Terzhinan, Nystatin, Livarol, Clotrimazole.
- Oral preparations for chronic and generalized thrush: Nystatin, Fluconazole, Pimafucin, Itraconazole, Nizoral.
- Immunostimulating complexes to enhance the body's immune response to the pathogen.
- Vitamin complexes to support the work of the immune and central nervous system.
It is recommended that a low carbohydrate diet, personal hygiene and a healthy lifestyle.
Symptoms of thrush
Thrush, like any other disease, is accompanied by certain characteristic symptoms:
- copious white (sometimes pink or yellowish) discharge, with a sour unpleasant odor,
- irritation, burning and itching in the vagina and external genitals, which become stronger after taking a bath, while walking or having intercourse,
- redness and swelling of the mucous membrane of the vagina and the skin of the vulva, and sometimes small bubbles form at these places, which burst almost immediately and leave red erosion instead of themselves,
- difficulty in sexual intercourse and painful sensations.
The feeling of discomfort that a woman feels during thrush prevents her not only in a full intimate life, but also in a normal life. Because of this, she is constantly on the nerves, irritated, and even sleeping poorly. The course of medication in most cases relieves thrush and the symptoms of its manifestation, but a strongly weakened female body is unlikely to help, and even can only aggravate the course of the disease (as evidenced by pink discharge).
When a woman is a carrier of Candida fungi and does not have any symptoms, she only has fungi on top of the vaginal mucosa. She finds symptoms in herself only from the moment when the microbes can get into the vaginal epithelium and irritate the nerve endings either by mechanical or waste products.
The pathological process at this stage ends in most cases. But if left untreated, the fungi will penetrate deeper and deeper until they reach the connective tissue and joints, damaging the capillaries in their path. As a result of these actions, small hemorrhages occur, and the woman will notice on the linen not white discharge, but pink or bloody.
The entry of Candida fungi into the vessels provokes hematogenous dissemination. Spreading through the body of a woman with a blood stream, they infect the internal organs and it will be difficult to recover from this - the risk that at least a small infectious focus will remain in the body and if for any reason the body is weakened, a relapse may occur. That is why, if you have discharge with blood mixed in during thrush, you should immediately go to the doctor.
Causes of blood
It will be right to figure out why bloody impurities may occur during thrush.
There are five main reasons for this condition:
- Mechanical scratches that occur with a very strong itch. The woman herself inflicts them, although the itch from this does not become any less. But she continues to itch, not realizing that thereby only leads her mucous to defeat. This is due to the fact that, in an edematous state, there are many blood vessels on the surface of the skin and mucous membranes, which during the inflammatory process become so fragile that they can be damaged even by just touching lightly.
- Connecting sexually transmitted infections to thrush can also trigger blood. As you know, microorganisms that are in the human body, should be located in it with maximum comfort. And the best option to do this is the separation of the bloodstream. That's why with such infections is the attack of blood vessels in order to enter the blood. The vessels, because of their fragility, are broken, and this manifests itself in the form of a small bleeding.
- Thrush in a chronic condition. With it, the colonies of yeast fungi are constantly increasing, and the restoration of the cells of the mucosal surface does not have time to be carried out and the fungi begin to infect the cells of the inner layers. Because of this, blood is released. This type of thrush is more dangerous for the female body, because fungi can “disperse” throughout the body. And if a woman's immunity is reduced, she can get serious complications.
- Hormonal failure itself may be accompanied by uterine bleeding, and if during this period the thrush also progresses, then the appearance of blood can be assessed as a discharge. It is necessary to take this seriously, because blood in thrush is not dangerous for life, but uterine bleeding - yes.
Side effect of medication in the treatment of thrush. Before taking this or that remedy for thrush, it is very important to realize clearly that the body reacts differently to different medicines. When you take some, you can not feel anything, but when you take others, you can notice a slight discharge of blood, due to which the discharge in thrush becomes pinkish. This is due to the violation of blood vessels. When treating with vaginal suppositories, with their introduction, it is possible to catch erosion, which, when in contact with the candle, will begin to bleed.
Spotting during pregnancy with thrush
During the period of childbirth, vaginal discharge is the norm. As you know, the uterus at the beginning of pregnancy produces actively colorless mucus, designed to protect the female genitals from infection and development, and the formation of mucus plug.
Also, in pregnant women, on the background of hormonal adjustment, progesterone becomes larger, and the acid-base environment changes in the vagina. All these changes in the complex create the most comfortable conditions for the development of pathogenic fungi. And thrush is the most common disease in pregnant women. That is why the discharge during pregnancy with thrush is considered normal, but only as long as they are white and cheesy.
At this time, the gynecologist should be contacted only if they are exhausting itching and burning. But as soon as discharge with an admixture of blood is noticed, immediately go to the doctor.
The fact is that in the first part of pregnancy, the most insignificant spotting may be symptoms of a spontaneous miscarriage, or an ectopic pregnancy. And in the second part of the pregnancy - placenta previa or its detachment prematurely from the uterine walls.
Blood before menstruation with thrush
A woman's discharge occurs throughout the entire menstrual cycle, but during the month their color, profusion and structure change as hormonal changes change. Отсчет менструального цикла начинается с выделений крови, которые длятся определенное количество дней у всех женщин по-разному.In some cases, discharge occurs before the onset of menstruation and this, as a rule, is not considered a deviation. It all depends on their color, the presence or absence of smell, and structure. If something has changed and the discharge has got an unpleasant smell, it is better to consult with your doctor and get tested.
If a few days before the onset of menstruation, the consistency changed, became thick, viscous, and curdled, then most likely the thrush began. And if it is also a mixture of blood discharge, it may indicate the approach of menstruation or any disease of the genital organs.
With thrush due to the increasing number of candida fungi in the vagina, the amount of white discharge becomes larger. The strongest thrush can be observed before the onset of menstruation or immediately after it ends. Women with thrush before the onset of menstruation observe a discharge of cottage cheese consistency and feel severe itching and burning, discomfort in the genital area.
Whatever the circumstances, there is spotting in thrush, they should be taken seriously and seek medical advice. To start the disease is not in any case.
Symptoms and manifestation of candidiasis
There are characteristic symptoms of thrush:
- itching and burning in the region of the external genital organs,
- discharge from the vagina yellow or white cheesy consistency with an unpleasant smell,
- pain during intercourse.
But there are situations when another symptom joins the symptoms, a frightening symptom - bleeding. This factor should alert the patient and cause a visit to the doctor.
Discharges for thrush can be different. The most common types are:
- White with an unpleasant smell is a typical manifestation of the disease.
- Yellow discharge indicates the presence of a large number of leukocytes. This situation happens when another infection joins thrush. Yellow candidiasis is a sign of the presence of another sexually transmitted disease and requires testing for the simplest (Trichomonas, Giardia).
- Bloody issues. They may appear due to internal bleeding. Can be as pale pink, and scarlet.
- Green clots indicate the accession of a bacterial infection. An unpleasant odor and heavy discharge can cause gonorrhea and chlamydia.
In each case, the discharge is strong and does not depend on the day of menstruation. The presence of fungus in the vagina is the cause of genital tract infections.
Why does blood appear in the discharge?
The main causes of blood discharge in thrush:
- The first month after birth. At this time, the female reproductive system has not yet had time to recover and is very vulnerable to infection, including fungal infection. In the first month of the birth canal remains of mucus, tissue and blood. It is then that thrush can occur, and bleeding will accompany the disease.
- Another reason for the appearance of bleeding - the period before menstruation. Although blood is not a symptom of thrush in this case, this situation may mislead the girls.
- If mucous membranes are damaged by candidiasis, they can be injured and blood will appear in the secretions. This concerns not only vaginal candidiasis, but also candidal stomatitis.
- When taking oral contraceptives. The use of these tablets changes the acidity of the genital tract environment and creates conditions for the reproduction of the fungus. Thrush can be accompanied by bleeding if the balance of hormones is still disturbed or the body adapts to the medication.
Pathological causes of the appearance of blood in thrush can be infections of the vagina, as well as:
- inflammation of the appendages,
- erosion or cervical polyps,
In candidiasis, blood can be released directly from the vagina along with mucus and cheesy masses. They often have an unpleasant fish smell. Within 2-4 days before and after menstruation, brownish mucus may be released from the vagina during thrush.
Thrush has nothing to do with bleeding. They can be caused by other diseases, and candidiasis is considered as an accompanying pathology.
Candidiasis requires treatment, regardless of what kind and color of discharge. An early visit to a doctor will help to quickly solve the problem and get rid of the disease. But for the effectiveness of treatment, you will need to describe all the symptoms, not forgetting to mention the color and amount of discharge.
Treatment of thrush is carried out in the complex. To begin, the doctor prescribes a diet that changes the acid-base environment of the vagina. From the diet, try to eliminate sweet, kefir.
Drug treatment is carried out with antifungal drugs. They are available in the form of tablets, ointments and vaginal suppositories. If you are worried about bleeding from thrush, it is worth choosing the pills for the treatment of the disease, because the ointments are less effective, and the candles can break the integrity of the mucous membrane.
Consultation with a doctor before taking medication is mandatory. Also, the doctor decides what to treat first - a disease of the vagina or uterus, due to which there was blood discharge, or thrush. In most cases, you can take two courses of therapy at the same time.
Among the drugs are popular Nystatin, Fluconazole, Clotrimazole, Ketoconazole. If blood appears during pregnancy in the presence of candidiasis, there are types of drugs against the fungus that can be taken during this period. If the disease is running, you can combine several drugs. The course of treatment takes about two weeks. To completely eliminate the recurrence of the disease, the specialist finds out the reason for the reproduction of the fungus according to the results of tests. This is usually due to taking antibiotics, improper diet and use of hygiene products that are not suitable for the girl.
The appearance of thrush should not be ignored. You need to get rid of the problem, especially if you notice pink discharge. It is possible that the disease is not one and you will need to undergo an additional examination. This must be done to prevent the disease from becoming chronic and causing problems during pregnancy.