Abundant periods can be an indicator of individual characteristics or pathological condition. In addition, they cause physical discomfort, often become a cause for concern. Women need to know what the abundance of blood discharge depends on and what to do with strong periods. The first step is to contact a specialist for a detailed examination. The doctor will help determine the causes of heavy periods and prescribe the necessary treatment.
Causes of pathology of the uterus
The main reason why menstruation is abundant, are considered pathological conditions of the uterus. Blood during critical days is excreted due to contractions of this organ. In a healthy state, they are rhythmic and intense, so the number of menstruation is normal.
The sore uterus is weakly reduced, the muscles can not hold the discharge, so the woman appears strong periods, or, as they are called in medicine, menorrhagia. Common uterus pathologies affecting the amount of discharge include:
- benign or malignant neoplasms - fibroids, polyps,
- inflammatory processes
- cervical disease.
Menstruation, which is accompanied by abundant blood loss, may be associated with pregnancy and appears in such cases:
- During the carrying of the child. It is not uncommon, but is not considered normal, because it is often a symptom of miscarriage.
- In ectopic pregnancy, when the embryo ruptures the fallopian tube.
- As a result of surgical abortion.
- Menstruation after childbirth. The first periods can be abundant, especially if before pregnancy the menstrual flow went very strongly due to the individual characteristics of the woman or the childbirth took place with complications.
The first month and a half after birth, the body is cleansed and restored. This process is accompanied by abundant blood secretions - lochia.
If periods are characterized by a large amount of lost blood, then they can be a symptom of such diseases of the cervix as:
- Polyps - neoplasms that are easily injured and bleed, thereby increasing the abundance of secretions.
- Cancer - triggers the release of large amounts of estrogen, which affects the amount of blood. Its color is bright, often scarlet.
- Endometriosis is an abnormal growth of the mucous tissue of the tissue, which exfoliates and leaves in the form of secretions, increasing blood volume.
- Cervical erosion - covering the mucous membrane of the cervix with ulcers that can bleed.
Very heavy menstruation may occur due to pathologies of the uterus. The most common are:
- Uterine fibroids - refers to benign tumors that appear in women of childbearing age.
- Adenomyosis - an abnormal growth of the endometrium (the inner mucous tissue of the uterus) and its growth into the muscle tissue of the organ. Most often occurs in women who give birth at 30–40 years. This endometrial dysfunction provokes very heavy menstrual bleeding. It develops against the background of hormonal disruptions, but the full etiology of the disease has not yet been investigated.
- Endometritis - inflammation in the mucous tissue of the uterus, the most important symptom is a violation of the menstrual cycle, in particular the fact that blood is released more intensively.
- Polyps - increase bleeding on the same principle as education in the neck.
- Malignant tumors.
If there is a combination of diseases, then the unpleasant symptoms increase. For example, mimoma and adenomyosis, in practice, occurs quite often and requires close medical attention.
Abundant menstruation can be caused by causes not related to diseases of the uterus and appendages. Most pathologies that provoke menorrhagia develop on the background of hormonal imbalance. But sometimes abundant periods go with violations of the circulatory and endocrine systems and in some other cases.
If a woman has genetic or acquired blood clotting problems, then the cycle has certain features:
- abundant periods are observed due to the fact that the blood does not have time to clot,
- menstruation is longer and can last 7–10 days.
In addition, poor coagulability is manifested monthly during critical days, it is noticeable with mechanical wounds of the skin, manifested by nosebleeds and bleeding gums.
The causes of this pathological condition are most often medication and the lack of essential trace elements.
Abundant menstruation also occurs with anovulatory uterine bleeding. The normal menstrual cycle consists of 2 phases:
- Endometrial rejection and tissue repair to be ready for fertilization begins on the 1st day of menstruation. At the same time, the egg matures in the ovaries, after which it is released from the follicle into the fallopian tube, triggered by the release of the maximum amount of luteinizing hormone.
- An on-site formation of the follicle of the corpus luteum, which progesterone secretes. Ideal conditions are created for fertilization of the egg: the growth of the endometrium slows down, the surface layer increases. Shortly before the menstrual period, the amount of the hormone decreases, the endometrium stops growing, the oxygen supply is disturbed, the cells die and go out with menstrual blood.
When anovulatory cycle ovulation is absent, respectively, does not form a yellow body and does not occur normal hormonal changes. In this regard, the endometrium does not cease to grow and it becomes abnormally much. Abundant bleeding - the result of rejection and exit of this layer.
Anovulatory cycle occurs in isolated cases in healthy women under the influence of external factors. Most often it occurs:
- in certain age periods - during puberty or menopause,
- in special conditions - after childbirth and during breastfeeding,
- in stressful situations for the body - nervous tension, drastic weight loss, physical and emotional exhaustion,
- with pathologies - infertility, inflammatory processes, endocrine disorders, disorders of the nervous system, genetic and congenital diseases.
Reproductive system disorders
Anovulatory bleeding is a common phenomenon in girls who are in the process of puberty.
Despite the fact that this phenomenon is considered physiological in a teenager, experts recommend hormonal testing of the pituitary and hypothalamus systems to rule out the pathological anovulatory cycle.
Its main symptoms are:
- the basal temperature, which does not change at the second stage of the cycle (during and after ovulation) - it grows in a healthy state,
- previous amenorrhea,
- too abundant or prolonged (up to 15 days) discharge,
- menses, leading to anemia.
Bleeding during menstruation may occur due to a sharp weight loss or weight gain. Strict diets do not provide for the availability of all necessary for women's health of micronutrients and vitamins, so the likelihood of hormonal disruption is not excluded.
Excessive fullness is often the result of disorders of the endocrine system and hormonal imbalance, against the background of which abundant periods are most often.
According to statistics, most often excessive bleeding during menstruation occurs in girls losing weight on fermented milk mono diets. Kefir, yogurt, cottage cheese affect blood clotting by diluting it.
Monthly more abundant than usual, may be the result of short-term or prolonged stress. Experiences and emotional shakes affect the release of hormones, which can lead to imbalances.
Most of the causes of heavy periods are associated with diseases caused by a malfunction of the endocrine glands. All of them are accompanied by a violation of the normal hormonal levels. The most common are nanizm, diabetes insipidus, hypothalamic-pituitary obesity, hyperhidropexy syndrome.
In addition to excessive menstrual bleeding, symptoms of endocrinopathy include weight loss, deterioration of the skin, apathy, instability of the nervous system, and headaches.
The iatrogenic causes of disease include the actions and statements of medical specialists. Among them there are those, because of which the monthly periods go strongly. This may be successful or not surgical therapy, the effect on the body of medicines, the use of some contraceptives.
If the monthly go very abundantly, you need to pay attention to the recently taken medication. According to the observations of experts, such a reaction is most often caused by:
- anti-inflammatory drugs
- antiplatelet agents,
- contraceptive drugs
- hormone analogues.
Symptoms of heavy periods
Determining on your own which periods are considered abundant is not so easy due to certain factors:
- menstruation volumes are individual and depend on age, genetics, lifestyle and current state of health,
- the amount of blood during menstruation differs depending on the day of the cycle: on the first day they are abundant, in the last days - the most scarce.
Symptoms of pathological heavy and painful menstruation, which indicate the need for urgent medical attention, are considered:
- Duration more than 7 days
- pain in the lower abdomen and pelvis, which do not pass on the second day and later,
- general deterioration of the condition: headaches and dizziness, loss of consciousness, nosebleeds,
- increased body temperature, if inflammatory diseases are the cause of prolonged heavy periods.
First Aid at Home
With heavy menstrual bleeding, you must take the following measures:
- Control your psycho-emotional state, because experiences can only aggravate the situation.
- Try to maintain physical peace and more often lie down, with the legs should be slightly above the body.
- Eat healthy foods, in particular foods rich in vitamins of group B and folic acid (nuts, bananas, legumes, tuna, beef liver). Coffee and alcohol on these days are recommended to be excluded - at least in the first 4 days of menstruation.
- Take vitamin complexes. Drink drugs prescribed by a specialist.
Special medicines that can stop the blood, such as Ditsinon, will help make menstruation less plentiful. It is recommended to take the drug only after the approval of the doctor.
In addition, there are tools of traditional medicine: decoctions of red raspberry leaves, comfrey, shepherd's bag. For their preparation, you need a teaspoon of dry grass, pour a glass of boiling water and hold on a water bath for 10 minutes.
Taking drugs and herbs is not a therapy, they only relieve the symptom of heavy discharge.
If strong periods are one-time in nature, they may indicate non-dangerous temporary changes in the body.
The reason to ask for the help of specialists is abundant painful menstruation, which are repeated several cycles in a row and do not lose on the 5th day of the cycle. It is important to undergo an examination, determine the cause and apply proper treatment.