Climax is the stage in the life of every woman when the reproductive system ceases to function. The ovaries are depleted and cease to produce eggs and female sex hormones. As a result of such changes, various unpleasant symptoms can occur, including abdominal distension.
Constipation and bloating with menopause worries about 30% of all women. Deficiency of hormones leads to a decrease in serotonin production, which affects the mood of the woman and the gastrointestinal tract. Consider in detail why there are constipation and swelling during menopause, and when this condition requires treatment.
Most often, bloating with menopause is a physiological problem associated specifically with estrogen deficiency. Flatulence with menopause in women is not the only consequence of estrogen deficiency. Also, the patient may be disturbed by lower abdominal pain, irregular menstruation, headaches, weakness in the whole body and hot flashes. Even muscle aches can be associated with menopause.
The following factors contribute to bloating and constipation:
- Improper diet, in particular the use of fatty, unhealthy food, gas-generating products. Contributes to constipation and food dry rations, eating before bedtime.
- Passive lifestyle causes stagnation in the intestines, violates its peristalsis.
- Often, menopause aggravates bacterial infections, forcing them to take antibiotics. These drugs, especially when used improperly, can cause intestinal dysbiosis and bloating.
- The presence of excess weight is also not the best way affects the gastrointestinal tract during menopause, worsening its function.
Unfortunately, constipation with menopause can occur not only against the background of hormonal changes. Gastrointestinal problems often indicate the development of a serious disease, which is why doctors recommend that when constipation, especially very severe, appear, consult a doctor.
The following pathologies can provoke bloating and constipation during menopause in women:
- Oncological diseases. Tumors that are located in the intestines or in the small pelvis, can overwhelm the intestines, causing disruption to its work. It is worth noting that during menopause women become more susceptible to malignant neoplasms.
- Endocrine disorders. Thyroid pathologies, diabetes are common causes of metabolic disorders in the body and the appearance of bloating and constipation.
- In the period of menopause, there may be a metabolic disorder, which leads to improper absorption of foods, compaction of the feces, and as a result, constipation, bloating and obesity.
- Vascular pathologies, atherosclerosis. Since a large amount of nutrients are absorbed into the intestines, a large number of blood vessels are found in it. If the vessels become blocked, a violation of the gastrointestinal tract occurs.
- Diseases of the digestive tract, such as colitis and enteritis. Pathologies are not always associated with menopause, they can occur for various reasons.
- Upset appetite on the background of depression. A woman in menopause may suffer from depression, because of this, she is starving, which leads to problems with intestinal motility.
Thus, bloating and pain in the intestines, constipation, lack of appetite - these are conditions that require consultation with a doctor and examination. Do not neglect the campaign to a specialist, there is a risk to miss a serious illness.
Before you sound the alarm, you need to figure out when bloating and constipation are pathological. If the constipation arose only once, and the swelling bothers the woman not often, most likely a problem in the diet, and not in menopause or disease.
The following symptoms of constipation with menopause indicate the need for consultation with a specialist:
- Constant feeling of full bowel, even after emptying.
- Pain during stool,
- Lack of appetite,
- Sharp decrease or increase in body weight.
- Very dense callas, there are impurities of mucus and blood.
- Defecation does not occur for several days, or does not occur at all until a laxative or enema is applied.
Severe constipation and swelling with menopause can significantly enhance other signs of menopause. Due to the delayed feces intoxication occurs, on its background the temperature rises, tides appear. A woman may be bothered with nausea, vomiting, dizziness.
Due to over-exertion during bowel movements, the likelihood of prolapse and prolapse of the uterus and vagina increases. When menopause, the risk of such pathologies and so increases due to changes in tissue elasticity. If the woman is constantly straining, the condition can worsen.
Violation of the gastrointestinal tract with menopause leads to insufficient absorption of nutrients. What can lead to depletion of the body, osteoporosis, weakening of the immune system. A woman becomes weak, can easily be injured or get an infectious disease.
Of course, constipation and flatulence with menopause strongly affect the quality of life. Such symptoms not only cause physical pain, but also make a woman refuse to rest in the company of friends and relatives.
Treatment of constipation and swelling with menopause complex. In the first place, it consists in changing lifestyle, dieting. If these measures are ineffective, then consultation of doctors and examination is necessary. Only by identifying the cause of swelling and eliminating it, you can get rid of intestinal problems forever.
To eliminate the hormonal imbalance, women are prescribed hormone replacement therapy, as well as dietary supplements with phytoestrogens to alleviate the symptoms of menopause. In order to improve the work of the gastrointestinal tract, probiotics are prescribed, they restore the intestinal microflora and contribute to its normal operation.
If it is not possible to cope with constipation independently, it is allowed to resort to the use of laxatives. It is better to drink drugs with lactulose, for example, Normadze or a more expensive counterpart - Dufalak. These funds are not addictive and gently affect the intestines, but the effect occurs only after a day.
If you need a quick effect, you can put an enema, or use Microlax, Bisacodil, etc. But such methods can not be carried away, because they make the intestine lazy with prolonged use. Before you start taking laxatives, you should always consult with your doctor.
Depending on the cause of the disease, specific treatment may be indicated. This therapy is selected by the doctor individually.
Constipation and bloating with menopause can be alleviated with the help of folk remedies:
- Decoction of prunes and wild rose.
- Eat flax seeds and linseed oil.
- Infusion of dandelion roots.
Applying folk remedies, you need to follow a diet and do exercises for intestinal motility. It is also very important to drink a large amount of water, since the lack of fluid in the body makes the stool very dense.
The most important step in the treatment of any constipation is a diet, because the process of defecation is directly related to nutrition. If the body will receive a special food, then the stool will begin to soften. To get rid of bloating and constipation, you need to follow the following recommendations in the diet:
- Make sure the menu is balanced. You need to eat enough protein, fat and carbohydrates. Fasting is contraindicated.
- Avoid food that holds the stool. These include rice and viscous porridge, wheat flour muffin, pasta, products with a high content of starch. Not fresh kefir, which is more than 3 days, strengthens the chair.
- Avoid gas products that increase flatulence. These include legumes, corn, cabbage, radish and radishes, mushrooms, apples, pears and grapes, soft drinks and milk, ice cream.
- You need to give up sweets and yeast in the diet, they cause fermentation in the intestine and gas formation.
- Do not give up on vegetable oils in the diet, but they need to be consumed fresh in a salad. It is not recommended to fry products in butter.
- It is better to remove too fatty meat from the diet, it has a lot of cholesterol.
- Do not drink black tea, coffee, alcohol. These drinks inhibit intestinal peristalsis.
It is recommended to eat 5-6 times a day in small portions. It is also recommended to add to the diet foods that relax the stool and help eliminate constipation during menopause:
- Fresh dairy products, preferably today's production.
- Natural kvass, not carbonated drink, namely a natural product.
- You need to drink plenty of purified mineral water without gas, at least 2.5-3 liters per day.
- You need to eat foods with fiber, in particular vegetables and fruits, berries and nuts, unpolished cereals. Zucchini, raspberry, dried apricots, prunes, cranberries, pumpkin, raw apples are especially useful.
By eliminating fixative foods, and adding to the diet weak, you can get rid of constipation without taking medication.
If a woman has always been prone to constipation, then with the advent of menopause, you need to think about the methods of prevention:
- To undergo an examination by a gynecologist and a proctologist to exclude diseases.
- Monitor your diet, eat a sufficient amount of fruits and vegetables and less junk food.
- Stop smoking and alcohol.
- Do exercises every day, especially exercises for the pelvis. These include squats, exercise "bike" and "scissors", etc. It is useful to enroll in yoga, in the pool or dance.
A healthy lifestyle will help avoid not only constipation and bloating, but also other symptoms of menopause, as well as prolong youth for many years.
Why during the period of menopause problems with the process of defecation?
What happens to a woman during menopause has a hormonal explanation. The blood levels of progesterone and estrogen decrease, and because of this, a number of health problems arise.
From the work of sex hormones depends on the process of producing substances that are necessary for the body for its normal functioning. One of these substances is serotonin. Many have heard about him as a substance that guarantees a positive attitude and well-being. However, this is not the only function of serotonin. From the serotonin directly depends on the work of the digestive system of any organism. It is not difficult to guess that since menopause decreases the level of sex hormones, then the level of serotonin also drops markedly.
This significantly affects intestinal motility, that is, its reduction and the normal movement of fecal masses on it. Without serotonin, this process slows down, which leads to regular constipation during menopause.
What other reasons affect the occurrence of constipation with menopause?
In addition to menopause itself, there are other reasons that also cause constipation:
- Frequent constipation occurs in a person when he has a chronically ill stomach.
- Diseases of the colon and small intestine.
- Disease of the digestive glands.
- Unhealthy nervous system.
- Mechanical bowel injury.
- Mechanical spinal injuries.
- Irregular and irregular nutrition.
- Taking medicines that cause constipation.
- Decrease in libido and extinction of sexual life.
- Lack of orgasm (it stimulates intensive contraction of the muscles of the pelvis, which improves intestinal motility).
- The prolapse of the reproductive organs, especially the uterus.
- Frequent pregnancy and abortion.
- Diseases of the thyroid gland.
Symptoms of constipation in women with menopause
The symptoms of constipation are familiar to every person, because everyone has at least once in his life. However, with regard to menopause, these symptoms become chronic and significantly reduce the quality of life of a woman.
- Bad appetite.
- Increased gas formation.
- Boiling and rumbling in the stomach.
- Pain in the abdomen.
- Difficulties when going to the toilet.
- Fecal masses become hard, so when trying to defecate a woman feels pain in the anus.
What happens if you do not treat constipation during menopause?
In addition to the fact that the symptoms of constipation are unpleasant in their own right, they can also lead to the development of even more unpleasant complications.
- Anal fissures. This happens at the very beginning, when too hard stools try to overcome the anal sphincter area. They damage his mucous membrane, thereby forming cracks in the anus.
- Long and frequent constipation leads to complete intestinal obstruction.
- Obstruction of the intestine leads to fecal peritonitis.
- Constantly injuring the anus and its mucous membranes leads to the fact that there is an excellent ground for the development of cancer.
How to treat constipation during menopause?
As it has already become clear, constipation during menopause is not at all such a harmless phenomenon as it may seem at first. This problem must be solved, and it must be solved in a complex way. First of all, you should change your meal schedule.
How to eat during menopause so that there is no constipation?
As for proper nutrition, even before its implementation it is worth understanding that this is not a temporary diet, on which you can sit for several months and stop following it. If you really care about your health, then you should always eat right.
What does proper nutrition mean with climax?
- Limit fat intake. This will have a positive effect not only on the state of your stomach, but also on your appearance. There is a high risk of weight gain in menopause, so don’t get stuck in stress. Fat folds will be deposited on the stomach and thighs, you will look even more older and less attractive. Overeating also leads to diabetes and heart disease.
- Drink more, since dehydration is one of the causes of menopause. You can drink water always and immediately, as soon as you want to drink.
- The diet rich in fiber copes well with constipation, therefore include in your diet as much as possible of fresh vegetables and greens.
- Vegetable juices - carrot and beetroot - help fight constipation with menopause. For best effect add a drop of vegetable oil.
- Eat dried fruits and cook compotes from them. You can simply pour the dried fruit with water and let them infuse.
- Well with constipation, there are any cereals: buckwheat, barley, barley. But try not to eat rice, as it contributes to the consolidation of the stomach.
- For constipation, you can eat any seeds.
- As for bread, you don’t need to give it up completely. Make a choice in favor of whole-grain bread with the addition of a large amount of bran.
- During the selection of a diet for constipation, take into account the fact that you can cook foods by boiling, stewing and baking, and fried and smoked foods should be excluded.
- Drink mineral water, which contain alkali and sulfur.
What products should be completely abandoned if you are tormented by constipation during menopause?
To get rid of constipation with menopause in women, some products will have to be abandoned. The following products should not be eaten if you regularly suffer from constipation:
- Canned meat and fish. As for canned vegetables, you can eat them, but in reasonable quantities, as they can not be constipated.
- White bread, sweet and sweet pastries, a variety of cakes, pastries and cookies.
- Do not get carried away with meat and dairy products, as they develop constipation. You can eat them, but you should not make them the basis of your diet.
- The following vegetables, fruits and berries should be excluded: quince, blueberry, lingonberry, pear, garlic, radish, mushrooms, onions, sorrel. They can not be eaten with constipation, because they cause fermentation in the stomach.
- Animal fats and lard.
- Pasta in large quantities.
- Too concentrated fish broth.
- Strong teas and coffee.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Grape and apple juices that provoke gas formation.
- All sauces, and especially - mayonnaise and ketchup.
How to treat constipation in menopause folk remedies?
Treatment of constipation folk remedies can be carried out using the following medicinal plants and herbs:
- Take equal proportions of chamomile flowers, yarrow, goosefoot, celandine. Pour a glass of boiling water, let cool, strain and drink in small sips. For the day you need to use 2 such glasses of infusion.
- Take in equal proportions calendula flowers, mallow flowers, gryzhnik, anise and tricolor violet flowers. Pour a glass of boiling water, wrap well and let it brew for half an hour. Take 2 cups of tincture per day in small sips.
- Drink tea from dried cherries three times a day.
- Brew buckthorn bark, like tea, and drink in small sips throughout the day.
- Drink an infusion of dry burdock root hot for half a glass before each meal.
- Explain 15 peeled sunflower seeds and cover with water. Drink before meals at one time.
- Every morning on an empty stomach eat 1-2 fresh or dried peaches.
- In case of constipation, dry nettle grass is poured with boiling water, insisted until it cools, and one tablespoon is drunk 3 times a day.
- Take a warm pickle from sauerkraut three times a day before meals.
- Good for chronic constipation tea from cumin.
- При запорах хорошо помогает тыква. Из нее можно делать сок, можно добавлять в каши, можно есть в сыром и тушеном виде.
Thus, constipation with menopause is quite understandable in terms of physiology, but this does not mean that constipation should be tolerated and not subjected to treatment. It is necessary to do this, as untreated constipation leads to dire consequences, some of which can even lead to death. If it is impossible to carry out the treatment on your own, then consult a doctor in this problem.
Cognitive video on the topic:
What is the relationship between defecation and menopause?
There is no doubt the hormonal nature of everything that happens in the female body during menopause. The decaying ovaries reduce the production of estrogens and progestins, which provided many vital processes.
Production of other substances that control the functions of the body depends on sex hormones. One of these components is serotonin. Most know him as the guarantor of a positive emotional state. But this is by no means the only function of serotonin. The work of the digestive organs is also dependent on it. And with a decrease in the number of sex hormones and the production of this substance decreases.
Does menopause affect the rectum? Without a doubt, yes. After all, a deficiency of serotonin leads to a decrease in motility, that is, the contractile activity of all parts of the intestine and the promotion of fecal masses on it. By the way, it is this body that is involved for the most part in the production of the hormone. But without enough estrogen and progestins, everything shrinks and slows down. This is a global cause of constipation in this period.
Why else in menopause may constipation
Climax leads to many interrelated changes in the body. Tissues and organs are aging, health is deteriorating, which contributes to a different way of life.
Because constipation occurs during menopause in women due to the fault of a whole list of circumstances:
Endocrine diseases. Diabetes, diseases of the thyroid gland are also dependent on the composition of hormones. Areas of the body that suffer from these ailments produce substances whose amount is determined by the presence or deficiency of estrogens and progestins. The lack of sex hormones often provokes problems with the level of glucose, thyroxin, triiodothyronine, and therefore, the volume of serotonin. Diseases are forced to change the way of nutrition, impede the assimilation of food, and therefore, the speed of its progress in the intestines,
- Metabolic disease. This is a characteristic sign of the climacteric period. Disorder can manifest itself by fluid retention in tissues, disruptions in the absorption of fats, carbohydrates, vitamins. This results in extra body volumes that are noticeable externally, as well as a change in the consistency of fecal masses that is not less important for the process (they become harder). Possible and obesity of the internal organs, interfering with the performance of their functions,
- Changing the position of the reproductive organs. Due to the decrease in the hormonal effects on the tissue, they lose their elasticity. The importance in this belongs to the birth, illness, and abortion experienced in youth. In some women, the uterus and vagina are lowered, which can not go unnoticed by the rest of the body, including the intestines. This negatively affects his motility, causing difficulties with defecation,
- Vascular and venous disorders. The intestine is permeated with veins and vessels, the state of which is also determined by the influence of sex hormones. Estrogen makes them elastic, does not allow to narrow down, clog cholesterol. Its deficiency leads to a weakening of the venous walls, blood is more difficult to circulate through these "corridors". There are protrusions into the intestine in different parts of it, preventing the advancement of feces. In many cases, it is hemorrhoids that cause constipation,
- Medication. Women are sometimes forced to drink antidepressants, iron supplements, especially in premenopausal women, when bleeding and serious psychological problems caused by estrogen deficiencies follow. These tools help to restore mental balance and improve overall well-being, but can negatively affect the intestines,
- Depression. Reducing the amount of estrogen in menopause causes psycho-emotional changes, one of the manifestations of which is loss of appetite. Naturally, with such a violation of digestion, a bowel disorder will appear,
- Improper nutrition. The predominance of heavy protein foods in the diet will lead to its difficult digestion, to the fact that the fecal masses gain unnecessary density, move more slowly through the intestines, and linger longer in it. Fear of edema, which are not uncommon in menopause, provokes the lack of sufficient water in the diet. It also does not contribute to proper digestion and regular bowel movements,
- Lack of physical activity. Constipation with menopause is more common in those who are haunted by passivity, laziness, fear of being injured, as well as constant fatigue and insomnia typical of menopause. Women are forced to spend a lot of time sitting, lying, but not in motion. And it accelerates the metabolism, activates many processes in the tissues, stimulates the intestines, increasing its tone,
- Diseases of the digestive system. Climax creates an increased danger in this regard due to a drop in the level of sex hormones, as well as a decrease in the activity of the immune system. Increases the likelihood of tumors, including in the intestines. But not only a neoplasm can be a cause for constipation, but also banal colitis, enteritis, IBS, dysbiosis,
- Age-related decrease in intestinal motility. The body consists of muscles and mucous membranes. Their fibers also need estrogen for elasticity. The intestinal tone weakens naturally, making it difficult for the feces to move along it.
We recommend reading the article on pain in the abdomen and back during menopause. You will learn about the causes of discomfort, diseases, leading to the appearance of unpleasant sensations.
How is constipation manifested and dangerous
The main sign of difficulty in the bowels - a rare bowel movement. There are other symptoms:
- Pain in the stomach and rectum during the process of excretion of feces,
- Feeling of insufficient bowel release,
- Poor appetite
- Bad taste in the mouth, bad smell,
- Excessive stool density, the presence of mucus and blood clots in it. At the same time, the masses are displayed in a small volume.
All this worsens health at any age. But constipation with menopause is dangerous because with it:
- Inevitable intoxication will cause not only nausea, vomiting, but also increase the signs of menopause: psychoemotional instability, hot flashes. Poisoning can cause an increase in pressure,
- The likelihood of bowel injury, as well as loss of the uterus, vagina,
- The risk of infection of internal organs increases
- Poorly digested food, which negatively affects the general condition, especially mucous membranes and bone density. After all, they need vitamins and minerals.
Not everyone understands that it is better not to treat constipation with drugs, not laxatives, which lead to the intestinal unwillingness to work independently, and often with hormones. Therefore, you should not tolerate the problem or try to solve it without a doctor. Sometimes a six-month intake of well-chosen hormonal remedies will relieve constipation for a long time.
What is the relationship between constipation and menopause?
Everything happens because of the hormonal nature of the period of menopause: the ovaries, which do not work the way they were when they were young, drastically reduce the production of estrogens and progestins, which ensure the functioning and flow of vital processes. In addition, the above sex hormones affect the production of other substances. An example of this is serotonin, known to many as the hormone of good mood or the hormone of happiness. But in his tasks is the high-quality work of the digestive tract. It is easy to understand that with age, the production of serotonin is reduced and, consequently, the evacuation of the chair worsens.
Indeed, the activity of all organs of the intestine decreases, the motility of contractions of the rectum decreases, which leads to difficulty in the movement of fecal masses.
Therefore, the reduction of sex hormones in menopause is directly related to the problems that have arisen in the digestive tract organs.
Possible causes of constipation during menopause
Many women will have a question: “Can there be a malfunction in the gastrointestinal tract during menopause?” Our answer is: unequivocally, and this is quite a common problem. And here are their characteristic reasons:
- The period of menopause occurs in women around the age of 45-50 years. And it is quite logical that the body no longer receives such physical activities, as in 20 years. This sedentary lifestyle leads to hypodynamic bowel, due to which constipation occurs.
- Frequent pregnancies and birth traumas, weak pelvic floor, ovarian hypofunction, hypothyroidism during menopause - this can also be the beginning of serious problems with the organs of the gastrointestinal tract.
- The passion to follow a diet to maintain a slim figure also affects the intestines. Diets - this is the wrong diet, but it leads to the fact that the fecal masses will acquire a dense texture, which will not allow them to move freely in the intestine and complicate the process of defecation.
- Symptoms of menopause can cause a craving for sweets and flour in women. This not only provokes the appearance of extra pounds, but also clogs the intestines.
- Surprisingly, a decrease in libido and lack of sexuality leads to constipation. Why? Since there is no stimulation of the anal sphincter and rectum.
- Violation of the nervous system and constant stress develop a number of serious problems, including with the organs of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Metabolic disorders are very characteristic of menopause. These are breakdowns in the breakdown of carbohydrates and the assimilation of proteins, which contribute to the alteration of the stool masses and their hardening, and after they leave the body.
- Difficulties with defecation also arise due to a change in the position of the reproductive organs. Due to the lack of hormone release, they lose their elasticity, and childbirth and abortion, performed in youth, lowers the uterus and vagina. All these processes do not go unnoticed by other organs. The gut is no exception. His motility slows down, and difficulties in emptying are compounded.
- The entire intestine is permeated with vessels and veins, the violation of which directly depends on the production of estrogen. Only these hormones affect the elasticity of the tissues in the digestive tract and but allow them to drink. As we have already found out above, during menopause, this hormone is produced weakly and its deficiency leads to weakening of the vascular walls, which contributes to the formation of protrusions - peculiar barriers for excretion of feces.
- Women are much more than men take antidepressants to restore peace of mind, especially during menopause. It adversely affects the health of the intestines.
What is the danger of constipation and how to treat them?
When menopause, constipation is dangerous by many factors. Serious complications include:
- Increase the likelihood of injury to the rectum and the intestines and the prolapse of the uterus.
- Possible risk of infection and disease in the internal organs.
- Due to the very hard stools that irritate the sphincter lining, anal fissures may appear.
- Obstruction of the intestine, as a result of which fecal peritonitis develops, may occur due to a very long constipation.
- There is a risk of a malignant tumor of the intestine, because the mucous membrane of the digestive tract is constantly irritated due to the constant presence of fecal masses there.
- Food is digested poorly, which leads to a deficiency of vitamin and minerals. This adversely affects the strength of bones and the state of the mucous membranes.
To avoid all these troubles, doctors do not recommend using laxatives. In turn, they cause addictive bowels to work independently. Examination by a doctor is the best solution to the problem. Prescribed hormone drugs will relieve you from unpleasant constipation for a long time. You may also be prescribed medicinal suppositories, pills or syrups. Remember: in menopause, constipation will not pass by itself, this problem requires attention and responsible attitude to prevent serious complications.
Hemorrhoids with menopause
The menstrual cycle greatly affects a disease like hemorrhoids. From adverse factors, it can sometimes worsen, and one of the main causes of inflammation of hemorrhoids becomes menstrual periods.
With regards to menopause, this inflammation of the disease is associated with hormonal alteration and lack of sexual hormones. In the period of menopause, as already described above, the woman becomes sedentary and actively gains weight, as a result of which the outflow of venous blood worsens from the cavernous bodies of the rectum. This leads to the development of foci of hemorrhoids. Uterine fibroids exacerbate the situation. But hemorrhoids can also occur because of another, the main culprit - constipation, which cannot be ignored, as we have already noted.
Treatment of hemorrhoids in menopause can be provided with those drugs that are used at any other time in order to get rid of such unpleasant and delicate problems. It is advised to use Phlebodia tablets, which have no restrictions in the duration of the reception, unlike candles and ointments with glucocorticosteroids. Be sure to visit your doctor!
Other problems with menopause in women with gastrointestinal tract
Diarrhea (in medicine - diarrhea) is a condition of the intestines, in which the rapid defecation can be observed. The stool becomes very fluid and is accompanied by pain in the abdomen, strong urging and incontinence of the stool. What does this come from?
Since the walls in the intestines are strongly stretched and the volume of its contents increases significantly, a problem such as diarrhea arises. For diarrhea during menopause, use 1/3 cup of tincture of herb St. John's wort before meals. If you need to cure diarrhea with a pronounced flatulence, then take 3 times a day for 3 grams of sage leaf powder.
This concept includes an increased accumulation of gases in the intestines and all related disorders. Flatulence in menopause in women occurs due to the constant fluctuations of hormones in the body. Such a symptom during menopause gives the feeling that the stomach is full and swollen due to the retention of gases and liquids. As "side effects", there is a lack or decrease in appetite and abdominal pain. Excessive gas formation and, characteristic of flatulence, belching may occur.
The main signs of bloating during menopause:
- Belly increased significantly
- You have gained weight sharply and quickly
- There was discomfort and unpleasant pain in the abdomen during a meal.
- Feeling of heaviness before bedtime.
- Constantly feeling overeating
It manifests itself mainly in the daytime, and the main reason for it is the avoidance of a healthy lifestyle and non-observance of proper nutrition. With such a problem you need to understand and fight! Eliminate coffee, carbonated drinks from your diet and revise all your food.
Disable products such as:
- Muffin and rye bread
- Canned food
- Fat Meat and Broths
- Spicy marinades
- Dumplings and dumplings
- Smoked meat
Treatment of flatulence with menopause begins with a survey of primary pathologies. Before the use of drugs that act to improve the work and mobility of the intestine, consult your doctor. He is obliged to write you a strict diet and drugs from this problem.
Metallic taste in the mouth
Such a symptom can cause a series of very serious diseases. Do not pay attention to such a problem and let everything go to gravity. This taste in the mouth is not normal, since the taste buds just do not produce something like. Thus, this symptom can give a signal about diseases in the body or any other non-pathological conditions (pregnancy, hormonal failure)
If you feel such a taste after drinking, then the reason lies in the chemical composition of the water itself or the condition of the pipes. If you feel the taste of iron in the mouth after eating, then in the necessary order, check the condition of the digestive tract. Since menopause causes hormonal failure and disrupts the digestive tract, a metallic taste in the mouth is a frequent occurrence.
Causes of constipation with menopause
Naturally, there can be no problems if there are no provoking factors. Constipation during menopause has its own reasons, which you should definitely know for those who want to cope with this problem.
- Lack of physical activity
- Chronic diseases of the stomach and digestive system,
- Nervous system problems
- Abuse of fatty, fried, smoked and other unhealthy foods
- Any bad habits
- Hormonal failure or imbalance,
- Decreased sexual activity
- Abuse of sweets and pastries,
- The omission of the pelvic organs and the reproductive system,
- Numerous pregnancies and abortions,
- Injuries during childbirth,
- Diseases of the thyroid gland.
It is advisable to start from an early age to monitor your stomach, and indeed, in general, health in general. Often, the wrong way to live in youth can lead to problems during menopause. Например, злоупотребление строгими диетами, обязательно приведёт к запорам и другим проблемам с пищеварительной системой в более старшем возрасте.
Симптомы нарушения дефекации
Запор при климаксе имеет несколько иную симптоматику. Symptoms are chronic and greatly reduce the quality of life for women.
- Disruption of appetite
- Increased flatulence,
- Pain in the stomach and intestines,
- Frequent urge to vomit,
- Lack of sexual desire
- Constant feeling of heaviness in the abdomen,
- Pain and difficulty going to the toilet
- Increased or decreased appetite, sometimes those suffering from this disease have a complete rejection of food,
- Hardening feces
- Blood veins or just blood in the feces.
Symptoms of constipation manifests itself in each case individually. But any woman will immediately understand that changes are occurring in her body. The main thing at this moment is to “listen” to the signals of your body, and as soon as possible to “decipher” them.
Constipation with menopause: what to do?
Violation of defecation during menopause is not the norm, and this disorder is necessarily treatable. In order to solve this problem, it is necessary to carry out a set of procedures and completely revise your lifestyle and nutrition system.
The first thing you need to change the diet, avoid dry bread and not healthy snacks. The diet should be followed constantly, and not 1-2 months. In addition, proper nutrition is useful not only for the internal state of the female body, but also external.
- Limit fat intake.
- Every day, drink at least two liters of pure water. Liquid is obligatory for the body, it contributes to the normalization of metabolic substances. This volume of water does not include soups, coffee, juices, etc., instead of water you can use only green tea without sugar.
- You should eat as much fiber as possible. These include fresh greens, vegetables and cereals.
- Vegetable juices, such as carrot or beetroot, help excellently against constipation. In order for them to be even more effective, it is advisable to add a few drops of any vegetable oil to them.
- During this period it will be useful to use dried fruits and compotes of them.
- Be sure to include in your diet different cereals, special attention should be paid to buckwheat, Hercules, barley. But rice porridge is desirable to exclude, as rice makes the chair more robust.
- If you prefer white bread, you will have to give it up. When constipation, it is desirable to use only rye bran bread.
- Products can be steamed, baked in the oven. But fried and smoked dishes will have to be excluded from your diet.
Be prepared for the fact that if you have problems with defecation, you will have to permanently abandon certain foods, such as, for example, pasta, alcohol, sweets, mayonnaise, ketchup, mushrooms, blueberries. Milk can be consumed, but in very limited quantities, but dairy products, on the contrary, are very useful for women who have problems with defecation.
When changing the diet is important to monitor the meal itself. Often improper ingestion or chewing of food can lead to impaired bowel movements. The temperature of the dish should be comfortable: not hot and not cold. This is necessary in order not to damage the walls of the food passages and the stomach. Also, when eating too hot food, a person swallows a large amount of air, which can later lead to problems with the digestion of food and pain in the abdomen. Do not swallow food in large pieces, chew it carefully. The last meal should be no later than two hours before bedtime, because the whole body and the stomach should have a rest at night.
Experts do not recommend the use of laxatives, as the body can get used to them. Thus, the intestines will not be able to work independently, and you will always have to take pills, which is not the best effect on the body.
Naturally, it is impossible to do without medical treatment. Specialists have created a list of the most effective remedies for constipation, namely during the period of menopause.
- Duphalac. This tool is recommended to use 45 ml every day in the first days of exacerbation of the disease, and after the dosage should be reduced to 30 ml. Use the drug at the same time, regardless of the meal.
- Guttalax The daily dose of this medicine is prescribed by a doctor. The drug is started with the minimum dose, gradually increasing it if necessary.
- Regulus This drug is known for containing exclusively herbal ingredients. It comes out in the form of small cubes, daily it is necessary to use one such cube.
For the treatment of constipation with menopause, physiotherapy is often prescribed, but the load should not be excessive. It is necessary to exclude strength exercises from trainings, since they can only worsen the situation. Exercises and training plans are the coach or doctor, taking into account the individual characteristics of the patient. The most popular are fitness classes, exercise therapy, exercise in the pool, aerobics and other types of physical training that do not require heavy loads.
Strange as it may seem, even non-compliance with the daily regimen can lead to problems with defecation. Daily cleansing of the intestines at the same time, usually in the morning, is considered normal. For any violation should be on the alert. It is advisable to teach yourself to eat every day at one time, wake up, fall asleep, etc.
When dealing with constipation, it is very important to normalize sleep. Equally harmful to the body as a lack of rest, and an overabundance. A person must sleep for exactly 8 hours; this is exactly the amount of sleep that is considered normal.
Traditional medicine is currently not recognized as official; nevertheless, many experts recommend old “grandmothers” recipes. Many today refuse from expensive procedures in private clinics and turn to time-tested recipes. This desire is caused by many factors, but the most common: saving time and money and the fact that the basis of the infusions, decoctions, etc. are only natural ingredients of animal and vegetable origin.
Perfectly helps with constipation tincture on nettles. In the summer, collect the leaves of young nettle and dry them naturally (in the air or in the sun). Dried nettle leaves pour boiling water, cover and leave for three hours. It is desirable to filter the resulting liquid, after which it will be completely ready for use. Take the tincture three times a day before meals.
An alternative to nettle tincture, may be a decoction of burdock root. For the preparation of this tool, the plant can be, both in fresh and in dried form. The broth is prepared immediately before use. Burdock root is filled with boiling water, left for 10-15 minutes, so that the drink is hot, but not scalding. It is necessary to use tincture before food, but at most 5 times a day.
Effectively struggling with impaired defecation decoction of plums and birch buds. This tincture is prepared in the evening and remains for the whole night.
- Plums should be washed and peeled.
- Purified berries mashed to a state of mashed potatoes.
- Mix one tablespoon of berry gruel with a large spoon of birch buds.
- Then add two large spoons of parsley seeds to this mixture, mix all this thoroughly.
- This mass is poured 200 ml of boiling water, cover with a lid and leave until morning.
This decoction should be taken for 30 days, at bedtime and after waking up one tablespoon on an empty stomach. The positive effect will be noticeable almost immediately, but to consolidate the result, complete the entire course.
Women suffering from other diseases of the digestive system, in addition to constipation, need to look for a milder remedy. This is acacia flower tea, it gently envelops the stomach walls and has a laxative property. To prepare such tea is extremely easy: 100 grams of acacia blossoms pour a glass of boiling water. This solution is consumed twice a day: in the morning and in the evening on an empty stomach.
Intestine as a hormonal organ
Scientists have long discovered hormone-producing cells in the intestine, and therefore the intestine is part of the endocrine system of the body, it is sensitive to all changes in the hormonal balance in the body.
Naturally, during menopause, the intestine responds to the changed levels of estrogen.
All women know how active the intestines are before menstruation. These are two or three days before menstruation, when the intestinal motor activity is enhanced, and even in women suffering from chronic constipation, these days are a celebration of the stomach!
And in one “beautiful” year, the woman’s ovaries begin to fade, sex hormones become less, menstruations stop, and difficult days, months, and even years come for the intestines. On average, menopause lasts seven and a half years, and the entire intestine works worse than before. And some do not work at all. There is constipation!
Causes of constipation in women
In fairness, it should be noted that women have so many special "female causes" for constipation:
- in multiparous women, after rapid delivery, with perineal breaks in labor, the pelvic floor is often weakened, and constipation can occur due to impaired perineal innervation,
- in older women, frequent complaints are pelvic organ prolapse and intestinal prolapse (rectocele), which also lead to constipation,
- if a woman has a uterus bend or a large uterine myoma, it can also disrupt the regular bowel movement. There may be constipation associated with a mechanical obstruction in the pelvis,
- hypothyroidism is a reduced function of the thyroid gland. This is also a “female disease”, and it is precisely in the period of menopause that hypothyroidism especially concerns women. Hypothyroidism is one of the very common causes for chronic constipation.
There are other common causes for constipation. For example:
- taking antibiotics
- taking laxatives and diuretics,
- medications that normalize blood sugar levels
- long-term use of steroid hormonal drugs,
- IBS (irritable bowel syndrome),
- oncological diseases,
- diabetes and diabetic polyneuropathy,
- sedentary lifestyle and other factors.
Why do colonoscopy for constipation
As I have already said, in almost all women after the onset of menopause, the intestines start to work irregularly. There are symptoms that should especially alert:
- progressive weight loss
- blood in the stool
- belly growth, tightness in the belly,
- feeling of incomplete emptying.
Since not only hormones can be a cause of constipation, you should consult a doctor-gastroenterologist. It is likely that a gastroenterologist will prescribe a colonoscopy if this procedure has not been done before.
A woman over 50 years old, with chronic constipation or with persistent abdominal pains should definitely undergo a colonoscopy. This will remove questions about the health of the intestines for several years ahead!
Colonoscopy is the only diagnostic manipulation in which you can inspect the entire intestine from the inside and perform a biopsy of suspicious sites.
People often ask - what to replace with a colonoscopy? The answer is nothing. All other diagnostics for intestinal diseases are less informative. Colonoscopy is not only a diagnostic procedure, but also a medical one. If polyps are found during colonoscopy, they can be removed immediately. To avoid pain and unpleasantness, it is necessary to do a colonoscopy under general anesthesia. Then the gastroenterologist will prescribe constipation treatment.
Whatever persistent chronic constipation, the condition can always be improved with a diet.
Treatment of constipation in women during menopause
If constipation disappears without pain and bloating, then as a first line of therapy, a diet rich in fiber is prescribed:
- in the morning on an empty stomach bran 15 g and an increase in fluid intake up to 2 liters per day,
- trial for two weeks Psyllium 6-12 g / day.
When a diet with fiber is ineffective, other drugs are also prescribed to confirm their use in chronic constipation. In a recent systematic review, the American College of Gastroenterology strongly recommended the use of a single laxative — macrolol and peristalsis-stimulating drugs — prukaloprid and linaclotidi or. It is also strongly recommended to use fiber and lactulose, although the evidence was weaker and heterogeneous. Stool softeners can help in situations where stress is not recommended (for example, after a pelvic surgery).
The peculiarity of constipation with menopause is that they respond poorly to ordinary laxatives. Laxatives are quickly addictive, and their frequent use leads to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Laxatives are ineffective, and the entire emphasis of therapy is on a laxative diet. It is better to use enemas and suppositories with glycerin than to resort to laxatives.
If constipation is accompanied by abdominal pain, then this condition is called irritable bowel syndrome. It is three times more common in women in menopause than in younger ones. This is a hormone-dependent condition, and often an improvement in the condition occurs when the menopause ends. The average duration of menopause is 7.5 years.
Symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome
Abdominal pain in IBS with constipation is the main symptom and may have the following characteristics:
- pain often does not have strict localization,
- usually lower abdomen, more to the left,
- not only the lower abdomen, but also the lower back and upper abdomen, the area under the ribs, as the gases in the intestine can accumulate in the places of the natural bends of the large intestine,
- episodes of acute pain often overlap with more persistent dull pain,
- some food can worsen pain and bloating,
- defecation usually improves the condition for a while, but the pain does not go away completely,
- stools hard, narrow caliber, painful or rarely defecation,
- there is no effect of laxatives.
In addition to pain in IBS with constipation, there are forms of IBS with diarrhea or their alternation:
- diarrhea is usually described as small portions of stool, with incomplete evacuation and frequent urging,
- often diarrhea occurs immediately after eating,
- the disease occurs either with a predominance of diarrhea or constipation.
Additional symptoms associated with irritable bowel syndrome are as follows:
- clear or white mucus in the feces,
- dyspepsia, heartburn, bloating,
- nausea and vomiting,
- sexual dysfunction (including dyspareunia and weak libido),
- worsening of symptoms during the perimenstrual period (if there is no amenorrhea yet),
- muscle pain.
How to cope with constipation with menopause?
Treatment of irritable bowel syndrome includes medications with severe side effects. Often prescribed antidepressants and lactulose. Both are poorly tolerated by patients.
Antispasmodics are well tolerated, relieve pain, but often do not solve the problem of constipation. The best over-the-counter antispasmodic is trimedat.
Non-drug treatment of constipation
The emphasis is on a comprehensive solution to the problem. First and foremost - lifestyle changes:
- exclusion of smoking, alcohol, regular sleep,
- physical activity is the key to normal intestinal motility. Dancing, swimming, exercise, yoga - all will benefit!
The second is physiotherapy. The effectiveness of the following procedures has been proven:
- reflexology and acupuncture,
- intestinal irrigation
- intestinal electrostimulation.
Special diet for IBS with constipation
The change in the nature of nutrition is an indispensable part of the treatment of IBS with constipation. It is recommended to completely exclude:
- fried, smoked, spicy foods, pickles, canned foods, as they support irritation in the intestines,
- sugar, jam support the growth of pathogenic flora in the intestine, reduce immunity,
- fast food products. All products from the supermarket that have unnatural shelf life. All of these products contain preservatives, food antibiotics, chemical dyes and natural products substitutes. Eating such foods with nothing but harm will not bring the body.
Exclude or restrict:
- bread, pasta, all flour based on wheat flour. Gluten is a component of wheat and some other cereals, supports inflammation in the intestines and promotes the permeability of the intestinal barrier to bacterial toxins,
- limit animal protein (meat, fish, dairy products, eggs), since it is they who linger longer in the intestine and support the growth of putrefactive flora. As a result, chronic inflammation in the intestine is maintained and local immunity is impaired,
- limit processed instant cereals, white rice.
Significant relief can bring a diet with a restriction of FODMAP products and the use of medicinal herbs. The table shows the preferred products and those that are best avoided.
Herbs for the treatment of IBS with constipation
- Artichoke has long been used to aid digestion, aimed at reducing bloating, abdominal pain, and reducing both diarrhea and constipation by normalizing colon motility.
- Turmeric is a spice traditionally used in Asian cuisine, often reducing symptoms of IBS and improving the quality of life. But there is a difficulty, how to find the "correct turmeric"? Only turmeric longa is effective in IBS with constipation. Other species are ineffective. The second difficulty - turmeric has a low bioavailability so that it is absorbed, you must take it at least 1 tablespoon per day.
- Herbal preparation Iberogast has shown good results for the treatment of constipation and irritable bowel. Iberogast consists of liquid extracts of chamomile flowers, bitter kandivit, angel root, cumin, milk thistle, lemon balm leaves, greater celandine, licorice root and peppermint leaves.
- Chaga medicinal fungus normalizes the immune system and intestinal microflora, and as a result, intestinal motility is restored, even with very persistent constipation. Infusion of chagi is prepared at the rate of: 50 g of dry powder of chagi per 500 g of hot boiled water. Water should be no more than 50 ° C. Insist chaga 48 hours. Drink 1 glass three times a day for at least 4 months.
Mechanism of constipation
Constipation, as such, is the absence of a stool for three days or more. Such a problem may arise for various reasons. All of them can be combined into several groups:
- stomach diseases,
- diseases of the colon and small intestine,
- diseases of the digestive glands,
- pathology of the nervous system
- intestinal and spinal injuries,
- hormonal imbalance
- poor nutrition,
- taking some drugs.
Constipation during menopause can be caused by several causes of these groups.
Why does constipation appear during menopause?
- In addition to the main manifestations of menopause, some women suffer from problems with the chair. This gives the woman certain inconveniences. However, to cope with this problem is possible - for this you need to determine the causes of constipation.
Menopause occurs at a certain age - after 45-50 years. Naturally, the woman is no longer as physically active as in 20 years. Reduced physical activity, a sedentary lifestyle lead to intestinal hypodynamia. And once the intestine does not move, there is no advancement of the feces - constipation occurs.
- The unpleasant symptoms of menopause make many women soothe themselves with something tasty. They start eating more pastries, sweets, and fatty foods. In combination with physical inactivity, this leads not only to an increase in body weight, but also to the occurrence of constipation.
- Hormonal imbalance also has a certain effect on the intestines. Progesterone acts on the muscles of the intestine in such a way that it relaxes. There is a decrease in peristaltic activity, as a result, there is a delay in fecal masses. In the reproductive period, such action of progesterone is leveled by estrogen. With menopause, a change in the hormonal balance occurs - a decrease in the level of estrogen and the action of progesterone is fully realized.
- A decrease in the estrogen saturation of the woman’s body leads to a decrease in libido and the extinction of sexuality. And this is also one of the causes of constipation, since there is no stimulation of the rectum and anal sphincter. In addition, during orgasm, there is an intense contraction of the muscles of the pelvic cavity, which improves intestinal motility.
- Menopause may be accompanied by the prolapse of the genitals - the vagina and uterus. And they are anatomically connected with the intestine. Therefore, there is a change and its correct location. It disrupts its functioning.
How to cope with constipation, what to do?
Treatment of such problems as constipation with menopause should be complex and combine not only medication, but also a change in lifestyle.
Important full physical activity. Of course, it is not necessary to overwork yourself, but maintaining an active lifestyle will allow the intestines to work in the correct mode. The methods of physical activity include walking, morning jogging, daily gymnastics, sports. Swimming and aqua aerobics are good for the intestines. A special gymnastics was developed to improve intestinal peristalsis and bowel movements.
Equally important is the observance of proper eating behavior. Meals should be frequent, but in small portions. Be sure to include in the diet of dairy products, fruits and vegetables with a high content of fiber, cereals. Restrict the need for food sweets, sweet pastries, sugary carbonated drinks. Food should be chewed well and drink plenty of liquid.
If possible, try to save sex life. To strengthen the genital organs and muscles of the pelvic floor to perform special exercises, for example, the Kegel system.
These measures are prophylactic and are aimed at preventing the formation of chronic constipation during menopause.
To eliminate the manifestations of an existing constipation, medication is required. These can be candles, pills, drops and syrups. From herbal remedies and dietary supplements can be called:
buckthorn bark and senna leaves,
- beets, prunes,
- Fitolax Evalar,
Lactulose-based preparations have a mild laxative effect and improve intestinal motility - Duphalac, Normase.
Means that soften the feces and remove them from the intestines - Regulaks, Guttalaks, Glycerin suppositories.
Symptoms of constipation with menopause
Symptoms of constipation in menopause are little different from those caused by other causes. It:
- heaviness in the stomach
- solid, dehydrated fecal masses,
- rare (2-3 times a week) chair,
- increased gas formation,
- need for straining,
- pain during stool.
In addition, frequent constipation adversely affect the condition of the skin and mucous membranes, which manifests itself in a raid on the surface of the tongue, a rash on the body. Intoxication of the body, caused by stagnation of feces, leads to headaches, sleep disorders, nausea, loss of appetite.
What is dangerous constipation with menopause
Constipation with menopause is the body's normal physiological response to hormonal failure. However, it’s not worth waiting for it to pass by itself. Otherwise, difficult bowel movement may take a chronic form and lead to serious complications. For example, the constant trauma of the anus with hard particles of faeces contributes to the occurrence of anal fissures. Lack of treatment of constipation can lead to intestinal obstruction, its curvature, the development of peritonitis, malignant tumors. Therefore, an important task of a woman during the onset of menopause is to prevent the occurrence of constipation and to consult a doctor if it occurs.
How to treat constipation with menopause
Hormone therapy. When the climacteric period in a woman's life comes, the doctor may recommend hormone replacement therapy. Such drugs are designed to eliminate the symptoms characteristic of menopause, including normalize the work of the digestive tract. However, it is not necessary to rely too much on the fact that constipations will disappear by themselves. Therefore, you need to treat the problem in the complex.
Medication. Drug treatment of constipation with menopause also includes the restoration of intestinal patency with the help of laxatives. Drugs belonging to this group have a different principle of action. These can be agents that cause mechanical or chemical irritation of the intestinal wall, osmotic solutions, prebiotics, oil candles, microclysters.
Dieting. When getting rid of constipation, eating out and choosing the right foods are important events. Choosing a therapeutic diet is also best with the doctor. As a rule, compliance with the following rules helps to eliminate and prevent difficult bowel movement:
- fiber content in the diet should be at least 40% of the total volume of food,
- It is necessary to include daily fresh juices from beets, carrots, celery and other vegetables in the menu,
- drink at least 2 liters of ordinary water per day,
- minimize salted, fatty, smoked food,
- food predominantly boil, bake, boil for a couple,
- take food at least 5 times a day,
- exclude from the diet sauces, pasta, white bread and muffin, strong tea and coffee, cocoa,
- eat food in the form of heat (excessively hot or cold foods provoke constipation).
Increased motor activity. An active lifestyle involves the inclusion of gymnastic exercises, jogging, hiking in the fresh air and swimming in the usual routine. The doctor may recommend a large number of various sets of exercises aimed at eliminating and preventing constipation. Performing such a gymnastics will not take much time, but will gradually increase the muscle tone of the intestines, improve peristalsis and eliminate the problem of defecation.
What to do if defecation is absent for more than two days, and accumulations of feces cause discomfort? The solution may be the use of microclyster MICROLAX ®. The drug contributes to the onset of action within 5-15 minutes 1 after application. The contents of microclysters have a high safety profile, the active ingredients are not absorbed into the blood and do not irritate the intestinal wall. Among the advantages of the MICROLAX ® means it can be noted that it is easy to use: microclyster is completely ready for use.
Symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome
In women during menopause, irritable bowel syndrome is often diagnosed. The disease develops against the background of an unstable psychoemotional state, hormonal adjustment, eating disorders, overeating, and dysbacteriosis. Alcohol abuse, smoking, a sedentary lifestyle can provoke the development of IBS. At risk are women with burdened heredity.
Clinical manifestations of irritable bowel syndrome with menopause:
- bloating and constipation or frequent stools,
- change in the consistency of feces,
- false urge to defecate,
- feeling of incomplete bowel movement,
- discomfort, abdominal pain,
- feeling of "lump in the throat"
- chronic fatigue,
- depression, panic, increased anxiety.
IBS can be accompanied only by constipation or alternate with frequent, loose stools. Three variants of the course of the disease are classified: with prevalence of flatulence and abdominal pain, diarrhea or constipation. Symptoms of the disease are aggravated after strong excitement, in stressful situations.
Indications for colonoscopy for constipation
Colonoscopy is a method of instrumental diagnosis of colon abnormalities.
The procedure is performed using endoscopic equipment inserted into the rectum through the anus.
When is a colonoscopy prescribed?
- frequent constipation
- blood impurities, mucus in feces,
- intestinal obstruction
- intestinal bleeding,
- diagnosis of cancer,
- taking a biomaterial for biopsy.
In the process of inspection, inflammatory foci, erosion, ulcers, polyps, and pathological deposits on the intestinal walls are detected. In a polyposis, growth can be removed immediately. After the procedure, the excised tissues are sent to the laboratory for histological examination.
If you have intestinal problems with menopause, you need to visit a gastroenterologist. The doctor will conduct an examination, prescribe the necessary examinations, determine the exact cause of constipation. The treatment is aimed at normalizing the work of the digestive tract, improving intestinal peristalsis, eliminating flatulence, and abdominal pain during menopause.
In addition to drug therapy, a special diet is prescribed, it is recommended to correct lifestyle, give up bad habits, increase the amount of physical activity. When weakening the muscles of the pelvic day, you must perform special exercises on the Kegel system.
Constipation with menopause treated with laxative drugs. Apply agents with a different mechanism of action that increase or slow down the absorption of water in the colon.
In cases of difficulty defecating, drops are prescribed for oral administration, suppositories or microclysters, which irritate the intestinal mucosa.
Effective laxative drugs for menopause:
- Vaseline oil.
Laxatives for constipation can not be taken for a long time, it is addictive. Rectal suppositories (Bisacodil, Evacue) and microclysters (Microlax, Adyulax) have the maximum effect. These drugs liquefy fecal matter and begin to work within 5–20 minutes.
In spastic constipation, in addition to laxatives, the use of antispasmodics is shown. No-shpa, Spazmalgon, Seagan relaxes the smooth muscles of the intestines, relieves pain. Prebiotics are prescribed to women with chronic stool disorder: Lactofiltrum, Eubikor. In case of atony, peristalsis is stimulated with anticholinesterase agents, Peristyl, Itomed and Prozeril are prescribed.
Recipes of traditional medicine
Folk remedies help to effectively fight against constipation in menopause in women over 45 years of age. To normalize the stool, it is useful to take decoctions from senna leaves, nettle leaves, licorice root, dandelion, and plantain seeds. Curative berries of mountain ash, gooseberries, prunes have a therapeutic effect.
Laxative collection in violation of defecation during menopause:
- buckthorn bark - 1 tsp,
- Senna - 0.5 tsp,
- Angelica root - 1 tsp,
- plantain seeds - 0.5 tsp.
Two tablespoons of the mixture pour 0.5 liters of boiling water, insist 2 hours. Take a decoction at night before bedtime. A laxative effect is observed in the morning, the stool becomes soft, painless defecation occurs.
Note! Herbs with laxative properties irritate the intestinal wall, stimulating emptying. Therefore, treatment with folk remedies is contraindicated in hemorrhoids, peptic ulcer and other inflammatory pathologies.
High-speed remedy for constipation:
- dried apricots - 100 g,
- prunes - 100 g,
- raisins - 100 g,
- honey - 5 tablespoons,
- figs - 100 g
Dried fruits are washed and minced. In the resulting mass add natural, liquid honey and mix everything thoroughly. The medicine is taken in the morning on an empty stomach and 1 tablespoon. In case of chronic constipation, the folk remedy can be added to porridges, consumed at lunchtime with biscuit or cottage cheese casserole.
Medical diet for constipation
If there are constipation during menopause, you must adhere to a special diet, eat foods that stimulate intestinal peristalsis. It is useful to eat dairy products, fresh vegetables and fruits, greens, cereal wholegrain cereal, drink compotes, green tea, natural juices. On the day you need to drink at least 1.5 liters of pure non-carbonated water.
Preference should be given to food, steamed. It is not recommended to use fried, fatty dishes, with the addition of hot spices, sauces. With spastic constipation, products are consumed in a ground form, this facilitates the process of digestion and reduces pain. Women with intestinal atony, on the contrary, need to prepare food without grinding, for additional stimulation of peristalsis.
Prohibited foods for constipation:
- sweets, pastry,
- convenience food, fast food,
- coffee, strong tea, jelly, sugary soft drinks,
- fresh white bread
- fatty meats, fish,
- smoked meats, sausages,
- pickles, pickles,
- fish, canned meat.
For regular bowel movements with constipation, you should use products with a high content of fiber. In the diet is useful to add pumpkin, broccoli, beets, avocados, dried fruits, blueberries, raspberries, apples, flax seeds. You need to eat fractional portions, 5-6 times a day. If you are overweight, you should follow a low-calorie diet and limit the amount of simple carbohydrates as much as possible.
To normalize the work of the digestive tract, it is necessary to lead a healthy lifestyle, stop drinking, smoking. It is important to comply with the regime of work and rest, sleep should be complete, be at least 6 hours. It is recommended to go in for sports regularly, moderate exercise and active rest are beneficial.
Do not restrain the urge to empty the bowel. If the stool becomes hard, take a laxative or a cleansing enema.
Drug treatment is not allowed for a long time, with repeated constipation, you should visit a doctor and undergo a diagnostic examination of the gastrointestinal tract.
Violation of defecation, dyspeptic disorders in women in menopause develop on the background of hormonal imbalance, lack of sex hormones. When constipation is recommended to follow the rules of a healthy lifestyle, eat a balanced diet, use foods rich in plant fiber. For quick bowel movements, laxatives may be used.