A woman's health is a very fragile mechanism that you need to constantly take care of. Today we want to talk a little more about such a common phenomenon as menstruation. What else can you say about this? So many books and articles, so much information, that only the lazy did not bother to find out everything that interests him. However, there is one thing that is lit rather dimly. Scarlet blood during menstruation - is this the norm or pathology? Do not know? Then let's deal with you.
What is menstrual blood
If we consider this fluid from the point of view of physiology, then it is not exactly blood, but a slightly different fluid. During vascular damage, mucus and tissue particles get into it, so normally it is much darker than arterial blood. Ideally, such secretions have a brick tint, towards the end of the menstruation the color should become completely dark. Mixing blood and endometrial particles gives such an effect. But the scarlet hue of discharge indicates that at least the process of stopping bleeding is disturbed.
What should be the color
In fact, it varies depending on the day of the cycle and the state of health of the woman. In any case, scarlet blood during menstruation on the first as well as on the second day is the absolute norm. This means that your body works as a watch. Most often, this blood has the smell of iron. You can easily imagine it; you feel the same when you hurt your finger.
However, on the third day, it is necessary to pay close attention to this symptom. Scarlet blood during menstruation on the third day speaks about existing problems, although it is too early to make a diagnosis. There may be a lot of reasons for this, so if nothing bothers you, you can wait another month and just watch. However, if you additionally experience discomfort or pain, you should immediately consult a doctor.
Should I suspect something is wrong
If the selection is abundant, then with conclusions you can wait. If scarlet blood during menstruation is combined with scanty discharge, this may indicate a serious failure. This may be a normal phenomenon for a teenage girl whose cycle is only being set. A similar picture may be in women older than 50 years, before menopause. If we are talking about a woman of reproductive age, then you definitely need to be examined.
Monthly scarlet blood can go for a variety of reasons. To disregard such a symptom is impossible, because it can indicate a serious pathology.
- The very first reason is a pathologically proceeding pregnancy. If you have even the slightest suspicion that you may be pregnant, then run to the doctor.
- Analyze how you are protected from unwanted pregnancy. Incorrect hormonal contraceptives and intrauterine devices can also disrupt the cycle.
- If there is a gynecological operation in history, this may well be its consequence.
- Scarlet blood during menstruation may be due to polyps in the uterus.
- Various infectious diseases are another possible cause.
- Oncology is another disease that helps recognize red blood at the end of menstruation.
As follows from all the above, bright periods are observed when the processes of arresting blood are disturbed. That is, it can be assumed that there are two main reasons for this phenomenon. This is primarily the pathology of the circulatory system, which is easily diagnosed by laboratory tests. The second reason is local processes in the body of the uterus itself.
- Inflammatory processes (we are talking about chronic cases) cause thinning of the inner lining of the uterus. As a result of damage to blood vessels, blood periodically pours out of them, forming short-term bleeding.
- Blood diseases that lead to a decrease in blood clotting factors.
- Malignant tumors can grow into the wall of the uterus and cause destruction of the arteries. If a large neoplasm is located inside the uterus, it is also manifested by bleeding. If there is suspicion of oncology, the doctor offers to undergo a specific examination.
Make conclusions for themselves
That is, the symptom is quite specific and ambiguous. It may indicate a number of pathologies, as well as being an individual feature of the organism or the result of a previous illness. Therefore, to find out why with menstrual scarlet blood is not only on the first day, as expected, you can only consult.
If the cycle is stable
As we have said, such phenomena can be a variant of the norm for young girls, whose cycle is just beginning to be established, as well as for women over 50 years. All the rest should alert red blood during menstruation. The reasons we have described above, but this is far from an exhaustive list.
When menstruation begins, the discharge is usually lighter. At this time, the menstrual blood is quite liquid. But in recent days, the endometrium has time to oxidize and curl.
I would like to draw your attention to the fact that the oxidation and reduction process is mandatory. If your cycle is regular and suddenly the shade of blood changes dramatically, this is cause for concern. If the monthly go for 4 days, and the color is still scarlet, then you need to go for a consultation with a doctor.
If after menstruation red blood has gone, then this is 100% not a repetition of menstruation, but uterine bleeding. This is an alarming symptom, which requires a mandatory medical examination and the appointment of the necessary treatment. In this case, be sure to pay attention to the consistency, smell and duration of discharge. This will help the doctor to make the correct diagnosis.
How to distinguish the next menstruation from bleeding? First of all, do not panic, but carefully evaluate the nature of the resulting substance. Uterine bleeding is virtually odorless, and the blood is fluid and flowing, without mucus and lumps.
Intensity of discharge
If scarlet blood flows in a continuous stream, infiltrating the gaskets one by one, then call an ambulance immediately. In just an hour, you can lose so much blood that your head will spin. During menstruation, the blood comes out in portions, and you lose approximately 60 ml per day. And if the bleeding clearly exceeds this rate, then it is time to sound the alarm.
The obvious signs of bleeding are drowsiness and blanching of the skin. If you can not lead a normal life, get tired quickly, want to sleep and feel dizzy, then these are obvious signs of blood loss.
Dark color of the menstrual blood
If the menstrual flow was always light enough, and suddenly changed its color to dark, this is also a cause for excitement. Moreover, this symptom is very ambiguous. It can either be a variant of the norm, or indicate a disruption in the operation of the system.
Normally, menstrual flow can range from red or brown to black. However, if for many years you have become accustomed to the fact that your discharge is red, and suddenly they turn black, then you should consult with your doctor.
What diseases may indicate too dark blood
- This may be a physiological extension of the uterus after pregnancy. This phenomenon is temporary, gradually the uterus will return to normal.
- This phenomenon can be the norm in menopause. At this time, a narrowing of the cervical canal is observed.
- Too dark blood may indicate the presence of benign tumors in the uterus.
- Endocrine disease and endometriosis can also cause the menstrual blood to become too dark.
As in the case of light secretions, the dark secretions themselves do not mean anything. They should be considered in the client’s complaint complex, with analysis of her state of health and laboratory tests.
Let's sum up
As you can see, everything is very individual. What for one is a variant of the norm, for another - a bright symptom of a progressive disease. Therefore, be guided primarily by your well-being. If you see that the picture is clearly not similar to all previous menstruations, then you need to consult a doctor and get diagnosed. And if scarlet blood is supplemented by painful symptoms, dizziness and weakness, fever, then this is a reason for emergency treatment in the hospital. It would be much better if you just reinsured and passed an extraordinary survey.
Norm or pathology?
Hue, texture and amount of menstrual flow significantly different in each caseTherefore, menstruation with scarlet color is not always a sign of pathology. If a similar phenomenon was observed in a woman earlier, the bleeding is moderate and is not accompanied by alarming symptoms (pain, weakness, etc.), then most likely there is nothing to worry about. It is necessary to pay attention to the health of the reproductive system when the color or other characteristics of secretions have changed dramatically.
In addition, monthly scarlet color without clots may occur at the onset of menstrual bleeding, for 2-3 days, the blood subsequently oxidizes and becomes darker.
If the scarlet blood in the menstruation is too strong, and the woman feels serious discomfort, you should consult with a gynecologist - these signs are observed in diseases of the reproductive organs.
The appearance of red blood during menstruation can have both physiological and pathological causes. The first category includes factors that are not associated with disorders of reproductive function and are a variant of the norm. Monthly scarlet color is observed in women in the period of formation or attenuation of the menstrual cycle: they are associated with hormonal changes in the body and most often do not require treatment. Also, a similar phenomenon is possible with nervous stress - as soon as the psycho-emotional background returns to normal, the discharge will also acquire a natural hue.
- Infectious and inflammatory diseases. Infections and inflammations of the uterus and appendages are almost always accompanied by unnatural secretions. Additional manifestations - painful sensations in the lower abdomen, aggravated during intercourse, fever, general weakness.
- Abortion. Scarlet blood before or after menstruation can be a manifestation of spontaneous abortion, especially if it was preceded by signs of conception (nausea, changes in smell and taste, sensitivity and swelling of the breast).
- Endometriosis. Pathological proliferation of endometrial cells (the inner lining of the uterus) causes abundant menstrual scarlet color, sometimes with clots and discomfort in the lower abdomen, tenderness during sexual intercourse, and sometimes unpleasant sensations occur during urination and defecation.
- Benign and Malignant Neoplasms. Myomas, polyps and oncological diseases are manifested by the following symptoms: the discharge of bright red blood during menstruation, as well as bleeding during the periods between menstruations.
- Spiral ingrowth into uterine cavity. Women with an intrauterine device when menstruation appears of an unnatural hue should exclude ingrown contraception into the tissues of the organ - red blood in such cases may be the only symptom.
- Complications after delivery or abortion. Unnatural secretions that appeared after childbirth or abortion suggest that there are residues of fetal tissues or placenta in the uterus, which can cause serious complications.
How to distinguish discharge from bleeding?
Scarlet blood during menstruation and uterine bleeding - two different pathologiesthat need to be distinguished from each other.
Bleeding from the uterus is a serious condition that requires immediate medical attention, as it entails a threat to the health and life of the woman.
To distinguish it from the usual monthly can be on a number of the following signs:
Anna Ponyaeva. Graduated from Nizhny Novgorod Medical Academy (2007-2014) and Residency in Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics (2014-2016). Ask a question >>
- if the discharge is strong enough (the lining has to be changed every 1-2 hours), then we are most likely talking about uterine bleeding,
- menstruations that started earlier than on the 21st day of the cycle, or last more than 5-7 days, are also a serious pathology,
- during menstruation, there is an unexpressed specific odor and a thick consistency (fresh blood is thinner and has no odor),
- menstruation may be accompanied by discomfort in the lower abdomen, and with a large blood loss, weakness, dizziness, pallor, fever may occur.
What does the presence of clots?
A small number of clots in the secretions is considered the physiological norm - they are fragments of the endometrium, which is rejected during menstruation. Most often they are observed in women who use the intrauterine device to protect against accidental pregnancy.
Many clots in scarlet menstruation can be a manifestation of various pathologies, ranging from hormonal disorders to infectious and inflammatory processes of the reproductive organs.
In which case you need to consult a doctor?
In cases where a woman has at least one sign of uterine bleeding, should immediately call an ambulance: this condition can lead to serious complications. Consultation with a gynecologist is also required for other disorders of the menstrual cycle: scarlet blood at the end or in the middle of menstruation, abundance of clots in the discharge, pain in the lower abdomen or in the lower back.
Treatment tactics depends on the reasonsthat caused the release of red blood during menstruation.
For the selection of drugs should consult a doctor and undergo a comprehensive diagnosis.
Infectious and inflammatory processes in the uterus or ovaries require antibacterial and anti-inflammatory therapy. Antibiotics are selected depending on the causative agent of the disease - the following drugs are most often used:
- broad-spectrum antibacterial agents (Sumamed, Amoxiclav, Cefotaxime),
- penicillin-based drugs, including Oxacillin, Ampicillin, etc.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are recommended to eliminate pain and inflammation:
For endometriosis and small tumors, hormone preparations based on progesterone, gonadotropin antagonists and other substances are used:
- oral contraceptives (Janine, Yarin),
- drugs Duphaston and Utrogestan containing progesterone,
- Gonadotropin analogues are Zoladex and Buserelin.
Folk remedies for the treatment of diseases of the reproductive organs include the use of herbs and other ingredients with healing properties:
- boron womb,
- martin root
- burdock root,
- stinging nettle,
- shepherd's bag
- dill and flax seeds,
- propolis and honey
- essential oils (cedar, fir, lavender, etc.).
This is especially true with advanced pathologies, cysts and oncological diseases - in such cases, you should not abandon surgery in favor of popular recipes, as this is extremely dangerous for health.
In addition to conservative or surgical treatment, women need a special diet containing vitamins, trace elements and other nutrients, as well as natural antioxidants that cleanse the body of toxins and reduce the level of "bad" cholesterol. The menu must contain fresh vegetables and fruits, dairy products, fish, nuts, and from semi-finished products, fatty, fried and salty foods should be abandoned.
For the prevention of recurrence of diseases that cause the release of red blood during menstruation, a woman needs to lead a healthy lifestyle, give up bad habits, do not supercool and lead a normal sex life. Among the factors that contribute to the disruption of the reproductive system include abortion, inflammatory diseases of the abdominal organs, failure to breastfeed and uncontrolled intake of oral contraceptives.
Scarlet blood during menstruation can be a variant of the norm or a sign of serious diseases, so it is strongly recommended not to ignore such a symptom or to self-medicate
Timely access to a doctor and proper treatment will help to normalize the menstrual cycle and prevent possible complications.
Scarlet blood during menstruation
Menstruation is an important process that occurs in a woman’s body every month.At the beginning of the cycle is usually bright red blood during menstruation. However, closer to the end of the discharge, the blood acquires a dark red, cherry hue, while differing in a specific smell. The average duration of critical days is normally from 5 to 7 days. The scarlet periods without clots at the beginning of the cycle are a completely normal phenomenon and do not require special treatment to the doctor.
Why monthly scarlet?
Over time, a woman may notice that she has scant monthly scarlet color throughout the entire period of discharge and does not change color. They can look like drops of bright scarlet color, like daub. In this case, it is important to take into account the age of the woman, since the scarlet color is normal in the following cases:
- the development of a girl's menstrual function
- the period of menopause in women after 50 years,
- the presence of a woman of childbearing age hypomenorrhea (menstrual dysfunction, in which there are scanty discharge).
It is important to distinguish the presence of menstruation from bleeding. If scarlet blood is observed at the beginning of the cycle, then this is normal. If the bright red discharge can be seen in the middle of the cycle or at the end, then, as a rule, they are accompanied by the corresponding smell of blood. Any suspicion of bleeding beyond the period of the onset of menstruation requires contacting a gynecologist to conduct a thorough diagnosis, eliminating the risk of developing gynecological diseases.
Reasons for concern
If a woman has scarlet discharge instead of menstruation, then this is a cause for concern, since such blood loss may be due to the following reasons:
- hormonal disbalance ,
- sexually transmitted infections
- Cancer of the genitourinary system
- operations performed on the pelvic organs earlier,
- pathological development of pregnancy,
- polyps in the uterus,
- oral contraceptives,
- intrauterine device.
It should be remembered that any change in vaginal discharge, which differ in color, smell and quantity, requires close attention from the doctor in order to avoid the development of severe gynecological diseases. It is also important to distinguish in time the onset of menstruation from uterine bleeding, which can pose a threat to life for a woman.
This not normal
1. Abundant monthly scarlet color with clots, when one "night" sanitary pads lasts less than 2 hours. And this goes on for several hours in a row. Possible acute blood loss. Need to consult a doctor. If there is no such possibility, use hemostatic means for now.
2. Monthly scarlet color with mucus beginning earlier than on the 21st day of the cycle (the day of the cycle is considered not from the first “clean”, but from the beginning of the menstruation). The fact is that these are not ordinary periods, but acyclic bleeding. The scarlet color of the blood during menstruation indicates that the blood is fresh, that is, true bleeding. It must be stopped. Depending on the results of the ultrasound and the abundance of secretions, the doctor may decide to treat you with hormonal drugs or to do diagnostic curettage if you suspect endometrial hyperplasia. This procedure will help not only to make sure that there is no oncological process, but it will also be a cure. After cleansing, blood will completely or practically cease.
3. Monthly scarlet color without clots, stopped within 1-2 days, when they arrived at their due date or with a slight delay. If a woman had the likelihood of pregnancy, then you need to check for it. Especially if menstruation usually lasts 4 or more days. Normally, critical days last 3-7 days.
4. Monthly scarlet with clots, blood loss of more than 60 grams per cycle. Such a blood loss occurs in many women, but in some it ends with iron deficiency anemia. Mandatory consultation gynecologist needed for blood loss of more than 80 grams.
5. Long scarce menstrual scarlet. If they last more than 7 days, then you need to consult a doctor. This not normal.
How to reduce blood loss
There are folk and medications. So, if you have started your period and you are bleeding badly, you can start taking oral contraceptives. This option is suitable for women who the doctor has recently recommended this method for contraception and in general to improve well-being. They can begin to drink on the 1-5th day of the cycle, whatever the color of the menstruation and the volume of blood loss (it will be less in any case).
Another well-known method is the administration of “Dicynon” or “Vikasol” preparations. They are widely known to the older generation. Although more modern, though, and expensive, the drug is "Tranexam".
It happens that the reasons why the monthly scarlet appeared so far are unknown, but there are no styptic or oral contraceptives at home, and there are no plans to take them at all. Then the usual "Nurofen" will do. He will not only relieve pain, but also reduce blood loss. Well, at the end of menstruation, if they no longer cause anxiety, you need to go to a gynecologist for preventive treatment.
And, finally, the folk way. This is nettle. Women have been drinking it for a long time with this symptom. True, the remedy is ineffective in comparison with affordable and safe medication.
Interesting video off topic:
Menstruation comes with scarlet blood - the main reasons, is it dangerous or not?
Monthly with red blood are always a cause for concern. Saturated scarlet color - uterine bleeding, which appears for a number of reasons. Not paying attention to this means putting your body at risk.
Monthly with red blood due to congenital abnormalities
The presence of an abnormal structure of the genital organs, the girl often learns after the onset of menstruation. Then the monthly is always abundant, the blood is saturated scarlet, lasting at least 5 days. Sometimes bleeding lasts up to a week. Unstable hormones in the period of formation of the menstrual cycle plays a special role in the nature of the discharge, but not the main one. The pathological structure of the genital organs - the bend of the uterus, the septum and other abnormalities cause serious bleeding during menstruation.
Literally put the girl in bed from the first days, the state is weak. The problem is eliminated by surgery. Drug treatment is temporary. The exception is the situation with the bend of the uterus, which can be solved in the process of childbirth. Then the pelvic bones expand, the uterus straightens. After birth, menstrual flow is not as intense, the change is observed almost immediately.
Monthly with red blood clots
Precedes to severe bleeding saturated scarlet color, a slight delay of menstruation. Then the lower abdomen and lower back begin to ache, and general weakness appears. Initially, there is a selection of brown color. Behind them begins bleeding with clots. First of all, an unsuccessful pregnancy can cause a similar situation. Why it happens?
During the first 3 months, the hormone progesterone is responsible for the safe development of the egg, the state of pregnancy. Brown daub with a small delay means a non-standard hormone level. It is not sufficient to begin normal menstruation, and can not contribute to the development of an egg in the uterus. The presence of scarlet discharge with clots is a sign of a frustrating pregnancy.
Bleeding lasts longer than usual, but with a favorable outcome tends to stop. In general, for 7 days the monthly ends. The uterus is cleansed independently of the endometrial layer, the embryo. For complete confidence that all is well, you can do an ultrasound. In another situation, you will need to clean the uterus.
A little more dangerous is the situation when the pregnancy did not develop in the uterus, but in the ovary, tubes, cervix, and so on. Then, after the usual menstruation, scarlet bleeding can start abruptly with severe pain. The woman is rapidly deteriorating state of health, up to loss of consciousness. Emergency medical assistance is required. Because internal bleeding is possible. Death is possible.
Thus, if you delay a month to 1 week, you should always carry out a pregnancy test. This is the main reason for the delay and bleeding of saturated scarlet with clots.
Monthly with unscented red blood
An intense balance of scarlet blood during menstruation can cause an imbalance of minerals, vitamins in the body. This is followed by a bleeding disorder, an increase in the fragility of blood vessels. Contributes to hormonal imbalance and abundant blood secretion of impaired endocrine system activity. In this case, you should seek the help of a doctor. Independently solve the problem will not work.
However, you can analyze the events of the previous month. So affect the appearance of scarlet secretions:
- Strong physical exertion
- Weight lifting
- Taking some medications
- The presence of an intrauterine device,
- Abortion last month
- Abrupt cancellation of hormonal contraceptive drugs.
If there is one, it will be easier for the doctor to eliminate the negative consequences. In most cases, in the absence of disease, the menstrual cycle is restored independently. So for the adaptation of the organism to the intrauterine device is given 3 months. After an abortion, the cycle is getting better next month. A woman will have to correct lifestyle, food, give up bad habits.
Water procedures, namely, a hot bath, can cause a change in the state and color of menstrual blood. In this case, the increased blood flow to the pelvic organs. First, the selection is delayed, then begin to "beat the key." To avoid this situation should be taken during menstruation showers. Bath can be left on the last day.
Presence of scarlet discharge after failed IVF
Artificial insemination requires initial long-term therapy. Hormone preparations are usually prescribed before and after the procedure. Excretion of blood saturated scarlet color can mean the failure of pregnancy, and simply the result of hormones. The case with intensive blood excretion is not single. Doctors should warn about it. If a similar situation arises, you should inform the doctor. Be sure to conduct an ultrasound. Subsequent actions depend on the health status of the woman, her decisions. With repeated IVF, the chances of a successful pregnancy are increased, but hormone therapy remains to be continued.
Dark blood discharge with mucus
The change in the menstrual cycle occurs under the influence of hormones. That, in turn, entails the development of hormone-dependent diseases. Unusual monthly saturated scarlet color during puberty and the extinction of reproductive functions is considered to be an inevitable phenomenon. But the situation must be under control. If the intense discharge of blood continues for a long time, repeated in the next cycle, you should seek the help of a doctor.
- The most common disease in this case is endometriosis. There is an excessive proliferation of the inner layer of the uterus - the endometrium. Then, during menstruation, intensive discharge of blood of saturated color begins. Accompanied by a case of deterioration in general condition, severe abdominal pain. It is observed in women of any age.
With an unstable hormonal background, a benign tumor - myoma develops. Very often present in women after 40 years. The tumor causes a profuse discharge of blood with a rich color. Discharges come with mucus. Disruption of the menstrual cycle is permanent. Monthly delayed or begin a week earlier. There is a discharge between the menstruation.
- Women in the family who were present with cancer, should immediately seek the help of a doctor. Intense discharge of dark-colored blood indicates the presence of a tumor.
- Inflammatory processes in the genital organs disrupt the menstrual cycle, worsen the state of health in general, cause abundant discharge in women.
- Venereal diseases are accompanied by a strong discharge of blood during menstruation. May last more than 7 days. Sometimes bleeding lasts about 2 weeks. The nature of the discharge of a woman is changing. Present yellow, green, brown color. It annoys unpleasant odor, itching, burning genitals. As well as pain during intercourse, urination.
The doctor will help determine the diagnosis and correct treatment. A change in color and copious blood is always an alarming symptom. With a sharp deterioration in health status, you should seek advice immediately. In this case, the question may concern life and death.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE DETECTED MYOMO, CYST, INFERTILITY, OR OTHER DISEASE?
- You are worried about sudden abdominal pain.
- And long, chaotic and painful periods are already pretty tired.
- You have insufficient endometrium to get pregnant.
- Highlight brown, green or yellow.
- And the recommended drugs for some reason are not effective in your case.
- In addition, constant weakness and ailments have already firmly entered your life.
There is an effective treatment for endometriosis, cysts, fibroids, unstable menstrual cycle and other gynecological diseases.. Follow the link and find out what the chief gynecologist of Russia recommends.
What periods are the norm
Aged women smile when they hear about the "normality" of menstruation. For many years, they have already seen that there is no single norm for everyone, and the selection of different colors may well be the result of the natural work of the body.
Before talking about the ideal color of menstruation, you need to understand how and because of what it is formed. Only after that it will be possible to talk about whether scarlet blood during menstruation is the norm, and when it should not be.
The bleeding begins after the egg dies, which was never fertilized. The thickened endometrium that lines the uterus begins to flake off, because fertilization has not occurred. After that, it starts to go out, which causes damage to the blood vessels in the uterus. As long as the mucous membrane comes out, there will be bleeding. Soon a new layer of epithelium appears in the uterus, thanks to which the vessels stop bleeding. It usually takes 3-7 days.
Knowing the process will help to understand why scarlet blood during menstruation is normal. What is included in the bleeding:
- endometrium that is torn away from the uterus and goes out.
- the blood that flows from the damaged arteries.
- special clear mucus. It comes not only from the cervix, but also from the vagina.
In total, the three elements listed above determine the color of the discharge. Their combination should give a dark red or burgundy shade. This color is considered ideal. Scarlet color of blood is allowed in the first two days of menstruation, but in later periods this is not normal. In this case, the discharge may have a smell like iron.
When scarlet secretions appear and disappear
We will understand the reasons why there are monthly bright scarlet. This shade is caused by a certain level of iron in the blood. The longer the menstruation period, the more oxidation occurs when it comes into contact with air, which leads to darkening of the discharge.
- For the first day it is normal to have bright scarlet discharge.
- By the second day they should be just scarlet.
- On the third day, the scarlet hue may persist, but the period must begin to darken. If by the third day the color has not changed, then this is a reason to start worrying, but it is still too early to panic.
- Starting from the fourth day, the scarlet color of the discharge is considered a pathology.
- On the fifth day, the menstruation of scarlet speaks of one thing - you need to consult with the gynecologist and look for what the problem is.
The absence of changes in the color of the monthly informs us about any problems in the body. Once the critical days are over, you will need to consult a gynecologist.
There are cases when bright red blood during menstruation is a completely normal reaction of the body. This usually refers to the following categories of the fair sex:
- young girls, whose monthly go first times. In such girls, menstruation is just beginning, so it is extremely difficult for them to understand what color is normal and how scarlet the shade of discharge can be,
- women over 40-45 years old, which are already beginning to suffer from manifestations of menopause,
In both cases, the causes of monthly scarlet color may lie in the change in hormonal levels. But in this case it is recommended to visit a gynecologist, if the color of the discharge does not change for three days or more.
Menstruation - rejection and removal of the endometrium, after fertilization has not occurred. Exfoliation is accompanied by secretions consisting of blood, mucus in a small volume. The shade of blood depends on the level of hemoglobin and the number of red blood cells.
In the absence of pathological processes, menstruation proceeds as follows:
- In the first days of menstruation, bright scarlet and liquid blood comes out, without clots and mucous discharge.
- From about 3 days (depending on the total duration of the menstruation), the light blood becomes darker, closer to the maroon-brown color.
- There is a specific smell (but not offensive). Liquid discharge, visible mucus.
- In the last 24 hours, the appearance of mucous patches and clots, tissue particles is characteristic.
Normally, the duration of menstruation is up to 7 days, the amount of blood secreted for the entire period is up to 100 ml.
Deviations from the norm can occur in girls with a not yet established menstrual period and patients whose age approaches menopause. Such changes soon pass and do not indicate a disease, but consultation with a gynecologist is a must.
With the established cycle of deviations from the norm, they can be a symptom of serious pathological changes, therefore it is necessary to conduct diagnostics as soon as possible.
The appearance of red blood during menstruation may indicate the presence of diseases of the reproductive organs:
- Ectopic pregnancy - a sign of egg growth, cracks before rupture.
- Infections of the genitourinary system. Discomfort and pain during intercourse is added to copious and offensive discharge.
- The ingrowth of the IUD into the cervix. The discharge is bright and fluid, without particles of tissue.
- Oncological diseases of the reproductive system - menstruation abundant, watery and with a characteristic unpleasant odor in the middle of the cycle.
- Benign lesions of the uterus - fibroids, polyps. Characterized by copious discharge and inconvenience, pain during sexual contact.
- Scarlet blood during menstruation after a delay can mean a miscarriage in early pregnancy. Also characterized by other symptoms - breast augmentation, change in taste preferences, exacerbation of the scent, nausea, weight gain.
- The consequences of abortion - egg particles remained in the uterus and an inflammatory process develops.
- Endometriosis - monthly scarlet and very abundant, severe pain in the abdomen, lower back. The processes of defecation or urination cause pain and discomfort.
These diseases require different measures, so you need to seek medical help: differential diagnosis will help determine the pathology and prescribe treatment.
Ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage, the consequences of abortion require an immediate response, as they threaten the patient's life and the complication can manifest at any time.
To determine the nature of tumors requires a more thorough examination, which also should not be delayed.
Scarlet blood during menstruation is not always the only symptom of pathological changes in the female body.
Bright blood can be combined with such signs of a breach of the norm:
- the interval between periods longer than 35 days (or up to 21 days),
- the duration of menstruation is longer than 1 week,
- discharge too scarce or abundant,
- scarlet blood with clots during menstruation,
- the cycle is unstable,
- bright scarlet blood during menstruation does not become darker, but remains light for 5-6 days,
- characteristic unpleasant smell
- itching, dryness
- cutting, stabbing or aching pain in the lower abdomen,
- the resumption of discharge with an interval of several days,
- blood does not become less - there is no sign of completion of menstruation.
Symptoms are not specific and may indicate a variety of diseases of the genitourinary and endocrine systems, therefore, diagnosis is required using laboratory and hardware methods.
The causes of scarlet blood during menstruation are very different, but sometimes they mean the onset of bleeding.
If the blood is scarlet for 5-6 days of menstruation and the discharge does not darken, it does not become less, then this indicates uterine bleeding, mistaken for menstruation. In this situation, you need to contact a specialist for a survey in a short time.
In addition to bleeding, the following symptoms are characteristic:
- liquid consistency
- no smell
- weakness, fatigue,
- pallor of the skin and mucous membranes,
- lack of coordination of movements,
- dark spots before eyes.
Manifestations of heavy or prolonged bleeding require calling an ambulance brigade. Of particular danger is profuse uterine bleeding, which can trigger the death of the patient.
Not only the symptoms causing discomfort - pain, profusion, long periods of menstruation, indicate the beginning of the disease, but also a shade of discharge. Therefore, noticing such a sign of violation of the norm, it is worth contacting a gynecologist for consultation.
Causes of scarlet discharge during menstruation
It is known that the discharge is formed from the endometrium rejected by the uterus, from the blood flowing in the event of damage to the artery, and transparent mucus from the uterus and vagina.
These three components form the saturation of the shade of blood in the period of regulation. Their shade in the amount can vary from burgundy to dark red. It is this color of blood with regulala is considered normal and does not cause suspicion for the presence of various inflammations. Why blood has a different shade, try to understand in more detail.
Scarlet blood during menstruation is considered the norm only at the beginning. Then it tends to darken. And it can acquire a smell that is close to the smell of iron or just metal.
So from what does blood change color during normal menstruation? This is primarily affected by the indicator of iron content in the blood. Prolonged menstruation, or rather, discharge, when in contact with air, undergo an oxidation step and because of this darken.
If we consider the menstrual cycle more deeply, then it can be divided into several components. Hormones regulate the cycle, and the phases of the cycle prepare the body of the weaker sex for pregnancy and for the birth of children. Fertilization of the egg, which did not occur in this period, stimulates the reproductive system to relieve painlessly of the results of the processes occurring at a given functional stage. This is the beginning of menstruation. Bleeding causes hormone levels to rise and, eventually, the endometrium is rejected. The walls of the spiral arteries are destroyed first, from which the blood of scarlet color flows. Next, the blood is mixed with mucus from the endometrial glands, as a result of which it begins to darken.
Monthly pass simultaneously with the progressive contractions of the uterus. Thus, all secretions are removed from the uterus. Compression of the uterine muscles and stop the bleeding, spiral arteries under the work of the muscles begin to thicken and contract. It is the level of how active the hormones are and how many days they go and what character they are.
In fact, regula is not a pure internal blood, but a biological fluid. In it are collected in one whole vaginal and uterine mucus, particles of the epithelium and blood.
Rate or deviation
Blood during the regulation should change like this:
- On the first day, it has a pronounced scarlet hue, and this is normal.
- On the second day, the color regula is simply scarlet.
- On the third day the darkening of the color of the discharge begins. If the color remains scarlet, it is a signal of a failure in the body, but there is no cause for concern yet.
- But on the fourth day, a characteristic scarlet hue indicates pathology.
- The scarlet discharge on the fifth day should force you to consult a doctor to find out the reason for such an uncharacteristic color of blood.
Scarlet blood during menstruation is considered the norm only at the beginning. Then it tends to darken. And it can acquire a smell that is close to the smell of iron or just metal.
Scarlet highlights are the norm:
- In girls, for whom the monthly - new processes in the body. The first few menstruations may have a scarlet color.
- In women, approaching the menopausal period.
- In women of childbearing age with disturbed menstrual cycle - hypomenorrhea
Changes in hormonal background, characteristic of these three categories of women, can be the cause of scarlet discharge. But it is recommended to consult a doctor to find out the exact cause of the bright color of blood.
Sometimes scarlet discharge during menstruation may appear for reasons not related to changes in the woman's body. To discharge this color can lead to:
- excessive physical exertion
- sharp lifting and carrying weights,
- alcohol abuse
- discontinuation of contraceptive use.
In these cases, the cycle can be restored in a natural way, and already the next menstruation will not frighten you with its unusual bright color and will pass in the usual way. But it is not necessary to write off all changes in the monthly for stress and fatigue. This can only aggravate the situation. The beginning disease is easier to cure immediately, and not to start the process to a critical point.
What problems are signaled by scarlet blood?
The unchanging color of the discharge for more than three days signals the problem. It remains only to figure out what kind of problem in question.
The most dangerous option is uterine bleeding, which signals the need to immediately consult a doctor. The gynecologist will diagnose and prescribe treatment to eliminate the causes of the problem.
Consider what could be the cause of the monthly unusual color.
Uterine bleeding. It happens before menstruation.
- Violation of hormonal background.
- Pregnancy that proceeds with pathology. Even if the monthly scarlet go without clots, but there is a suspicion of pregnancy, then you need to go to the doctor, regardless of whether it is the first or fifth day of the cycle.
- Cancers can also cause changes in the color of the menstrual flow.
- Very often the color lures due to contraception. We are talking about hormonal drugs and the intrauterine device.
- Polyps in the uterus can make blood more scarlet.
- Gynecological surgery (including abortion) can also lead to a change in the color of the blood.
- Some infectious diseases.
- Any blood disorder that worsens its clotting.
- Chronic inflammation that causes depletion of the uterine membrane. Usually, the vessels are damaged at any time during the cycle, and such bleeding appears not only during the menstruation period.
If scarlet menstrual fluids, then this does not necessarily indicate a problem. However, it should be daubing, not abundant discharge. Visually, it is impossible to determine viscosity and unequivocally say that menstruation is too liquid. It is especially difficult for girls to do this for the first time. The same applies to clots. They may or may not be available. By themselves, clots or more volatile secretions say little. Need to look at related factors.
If scarlet blood is accompanied by unusual pain, then this is definitely a reason for seeking medical help.
How to distinguish bleeding from scarlet menstruation
The greatest risk to health is uterine bleeding, which is taken for the usual monthly. If scarlet discharge occurs before menstruation in 5-10 days, then with high probability we can say that it is uterine bleeding. The situation is similar if scarlet blood goes after menstruation. That is, the discharge ended, but after a few days it began again.
To identify the problem during menstruation, you need to pay attention to the following alarm signals:
- in one hour more than one gasket changes. In this case, you need to go to an appointment with a gynecologist, without waiting for the end of menstruation. If the gaskets are changed one by one, it is necessary to call an ambulance,
- periods last more than a week
- secretions have a characteristic bloody odor,
- there is an increase in body temperature
- dizziness and weakness in the body
- the appearance of drowsiness and pallor,
- scarlet blood at the end of menstruation, but not at the beginning. Such discharge, which lasts until the end of menstruation, is a cause for concern, but if they were normal at first, and the color changed after a few days, then this is even more alarming.
All these symptoms, along with scarlet secretions should make, at a minimum, alert and make an appointment with a gynecologist.
Unusual discharge during menstruation, and at any other time, is cause for concern. Orange periods are rare, but [...]
Gynecological products for single use for hygienic purposes are a real salvation for the modern woman. About the pads in women do not have [...]
It is difficult to imagine a modern woman who never uses gynecological tampons. For some reason, we have misconceptions that they were invented in the past […]
The menstrual period is familiar to all women. Someone monthly flow without significant changes in the body, while others give a lot of discomfort. [...]
When scarlet menstruation is dangerous
It should be understood that the scarlet blood at the end of menstruation is an alarm. In this case, the most terrible thing is that the bleeding from the uterus has opened. It can begin both during menstruation and before their arrival. In this case, it is necessary to diagnose and begin treatment as soon as possible.
Scarlet periods can be for a variety of reasons. The most frequent can be:
- hormone failure
- pregnancy, which is accompanied by pathology,
- oncological diseases,
- contraceptive use
- when the IUD has grown into the uterus,
- infectious diseases,
- miscarriage that happened in the early stages
- ectopic pregnancy,
- the formation of polyps in the uterus,
- effects of gynecological operations,
- blood diseases
- a sharp decrease in hemoglobin,
- chronic inflammatory processes that thin the uterine membrane and cause the risk of vascular damage,
- congenital abnormalities.
The consistency of the discharge may also vary. Fluid and scanty - not considered abnormal. The presence of blood clots in itself, too, should not cause concern. It is necessary to consider all the symptoms together, and then the picture will become clearer.
With the appearance of pain, if you experience discomfort while blood on the third day of menstruation has not changed color, you should always seek the help of a qualified specialist.
Opinion of doctors
Very often, a woman can take uterine bleeding for periods, and therefore do not consider it necessary to visit a gynecologist. It carries a great risk to her health.
If before menstruation, within 5–10 days, a scarlet color has appeared in a woman, most likely it is uterine bleeding. The same diagnosis can be assumed if the discharge begins, a few days after the menstruation. To distinguish bleeding from menstruation, you need to remember that the symptoms of the first are:
- the bleeding is odorless
- there are no blood clots when bleeding,
- bleeding is characterized by copious amounts of blood,
- general condition has deteriorated noticeably
- weakness and fatigue
- pallor of the skin.
If you do not go to a doctor in time, a woman can die from blood loss.
The uncommon duration of menstruation should also alert. The reason for the visit to the gynecologist are both protracted, more than a week, and short, taking place in 2 or 3 days, monthly. If after a long delay red blood has gone, immediately contact a specialist for help.
An alarm signal is an earlier or, on the contrary, delayed onset of menstruation. This is very important if the nature of the discharge has changed, they have become more abundant or very scarce, and the blood has a scarlet color.
Abundant periods, when you change the gasket every hour, should force you to see a doctor even during critical days.
Pathology is considered to be long periods, which last longer than a week.
The following symptoms accompanying the scarlet discharge also indicate the problem:
- characteristic smell of blood
- body temperature rises to 38 degrees,
- pale skin
- at the end of the menstruation, the blood remained scarlet.
Doctors recommend taking tests immediately after the completion of menstruation. This is considered the most favorable period for the study of biomaterial.
With heavy periods, you can start taking oral contraceptives on the first to fifth day. This will reduce blood loss. However, the method is only suitable for those to whom the doctor prescribed these medicines previously for protection.
If you do not have a home remedy kit for hemostatic agents or contraceptives, it is recommended to take Nurofen, which not only helps to get rid of pain, but also reduces blood loss.
Remember that periods last 5-7 days. Saturated scarlet color, without abundant clots, is considered normal only at the beginning of menstruation. Then, on the third day from the beginning of the menstrual period, the discharge should turn cherry or dark red. If the darkening did not occur, then postpone the visit to the doctor can not. Especially if you very often bleed when menstruation has a bright scarlet hue.
A woman should know the features of her cycle. They can change after the birth of the child. But changes without significant reasons are considered a sign of an incipient pathology. Therefore, noticing bright red blood, do not neglect a visit to the gynecologist. A doctor will prescribe a full examination after the end of the menstrual scarlet discharge if there is no urgent need. And before that, it is quite possible to do therapeutic measures.
In drawing conclusions, it is worth noting that scarlet, bright blood during menstruation is a specific symptom. Therefore, he talks about the presence of a number of diseases and pathologies. But, on the other hand, the presence of scarlet bleeding can be an individual feature of the organism. What is considered normal for one woman is a harbinger of changes in the genitourinary system for another.Therefore, you need to focus on the general condition of the body, well-being, the presence or absence of pain.
If you have not noticed any changes, do not panic ahead of time. Analyze what was the month before menstruation. You may have experienced severe stress or overdone in the gym. It is necessary to be afraid only when there is a scarlet blood between monthly. This is not very normal. But still only a gynecologist can make a final and accurate diagnosis, after conducting a full examination.