Frequently asked Questions
The site provides background information. Adequate diagnosis and treatment of the disease are possible under the supervision of a conscientious physician.
Thrush or candidiasis in women - A disease caused by fungi of the genus Candida. If these microorganisms have developed on the mucous membrane of the vagina and external genital organs, then they talk about vaginal candidiasis.
This disease affects not only women of childbearing age who are sexually active, but also young girls, and those who have reached their respectable years. The reason is simple: candidiasis occurs not only after contact with a sick sexual partner. It can be the result of active reproduction of Candide, which used to be part of normal microflora.
With candidiasis, women complain of abundant cheesy vaginal discharge and itching in the genital area. According to statistics, 70% of gynecologist patients who come with such problems are diagnosed with thrush. This disease is not a venereal disease. Compared to them, it is less dangerous and much easier to treat.
The disease affects women on all continents, regardless of age and well-being. Moreover, the incidence in hot countries is higher. Statistics state that urban women suffer more from candidiasis. 30-40% of women suffered thrush during pregnancy. During this period, the risk of falling ill increases by 2-3 times.
75% of the fair sex suffered candidiasis, and the majority repeatedly. Since this disease has an unpleasant property to return. So in 5% of the diagnosis - recurrent candidiasis. In this case, exacerbations occur 4 or more times a year.
In recent years, the number of cases of thrush has steadily increased. This is due to the uncontrolled intake of antibiotics and a decrease in the level of immunity. If time does not deal with the treatment of thrush, then from a small ailment it can turn into a serious problem when the fungi infect most of the internal organs.
The composition of the normal microflora of the vagina and external genital organs
Genitals in girls begin to be colonized by microorganisms within a few hours after birth. This is the moment when the microflora begins to form. From the first day of life, different types of bacteria live in the vagina and on the external genitals. There are more than 60 of them. Usually these microorganisms do not cause diseases and do not cause harm to the body.
This set varies depending on the age of the woman, the phase of the menstrual cycle, pregnancy, the presence of a permanent sexual partner. Periodically in the vagina get bacteria. But if their number is not large, then representatives of microflora and immune cells destroy these microorganisms.
The vagina contains:
- coagulase-negative staphylococcus
- coliform bacteria
In almost 80% of cases, Candida is present in the microflora of the woman. They are represented by single inactive rounded cells and do not form mycelium filaments (pseudo-mycelium).
Normal microflora in the body of a woman performs important functions:
- Provides beneficial enzymes that provide the necessary acidity
- Promotes the formation of vitamins
- Maintains local immunity
- Interferes with penetration of alien bacteria which can cause a disease.
Causes of thrush
Why there is a thrush - one of the most common questions for women. After all, this problem is very common. Discomfort occurs at the most inopportune moment. This fungal disease negates intimate relationships, and spoils everyday life.
Infectious candidiasis can be from a sexual partner. Especially if the man has obvious signs of this disease or he is a carrier of fungi. However, this reason is not the most common. Much more often thrush occurs as a result of reduced immunity and disruption of the natural balance of the genital microflora.
There are many factors that trigger the development of vaginal candidiasis in women.
- Decreased body defenses as a result of chronic diseases or after infections.
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy and before menstruation.
- Hormonal changes during menopause.
- Hormonal contraceptive use.
- Long-term use of antibiotics, corticosteroids and cytotoxic drugs.
- Intestinal dysbiosis, at the same time fungi can be brought in a vagina.
- Climate changewhich entails adaptation to new conditions, the composition of water.
- Use of intimate hygiene products: intimate gels, soaps, shower gels containing a lot of alkali and flavors.
- Use of panty liners. They interfere with the access of air to the genitals, increasing humidity.
- Deodorized tampons and pads cause allergic reactions and disrupt the condition of the mucous membranes.
- Wearing linen from synthetic fabrics, narrow and cramped. The most frequent perpetrators of thrush are considered thongs.
- Food rich in pastry and carbohydrate dishes, strong coffee, carbonated drinks, yeast pastries, spicy and fatty delicacies, ketchup and mayonnaise.
- Avitaminosis entails a decrease in body resistance and deterioration of the skin and mucous membranes.
- Obesity - favorable conditions for the reproduction of fungi are created in the folds of the body.
- Metabolic disorders. A prime example is diabetes. It not only weakens local immunity, but also increases the amount of carbohydrates in the cells, which is a good nutrient medium for microorganisms.
- Smoking causes spasm of blood vessels and impairs blood circulation, including in the genitals.
- Sexual intercourse with a dry vagina. and other actions that can lead to the appearance of microtraumas on the mucous membrane of the genital organs. Through them Candida can penetrate deep into the tissues.
- Chronic stress, strong mental and physical exertion, overwork, lack of sleep.
Diagnosis of thrush
If you have noticed signs of thrush - consult a gynecologist. This is especially necessary to do if unpleasant sensations were preceded by unprotected sexual contact. The fact is that the symptoms of candidiasis are in many ways similar to the manifestations of dangerous sexually transmitted infections. In addition, the mucous membrane damaged by fungi becomes vulnerable to pathogenic bacteria. Therefore, taking only antifungal drugs is not enough. A visit to a specialist is necessary if the signs of thrush reappear shortly after treatment. Otherwise, the disease may become chronic.
In order to clarify the diagnosis, the doctor takes a smear of contents from the vagina. Smear on flora (gynecological swab, bacterioscopy) necessary to determine the composition of microflora and the presence of pathogenic bacteria. Ideally, the assay should be 90% lactic acid bacteria. Gardnerella and Candida can be in single copies. But such microorganisms as Trichomonas, should not be.
In the laboratory, a sample of the contents of the vagina is examined under a microscope and the number of immune cells of leukocytes and bacteria, the presence of Candide pseudomycelium are determined.
In some cases, spend seeding microflora on special nutrient media. As a result, it is possible to determine which of the 150 Candida species caused inflammation, to which drugs these microorganisms are most sensitive. This must be done if a woman suffers from recurrent thrush.
Also an informative method of research is colcoscopy - examination of the vagina with a special instrument with a coloscope. The doctor puts on the walls of the vagina Lugol solution. If after that small inclusions in the form of semolina are clearly visible on them, then this indicates the presence of thrush.
If necessary, the doctor prescribes an additional study for sexually transmitted infections, feces analysis for dysbacteriosis, an immunogram, an analysis aimed at identifying diabetes mellitus - the glycemic profile with a load.
In that case, if the gynecologist believes that thrush provoke chronic diseases, he will advise you to contact a therapist, an endocrinologist or an immunologist.
How to treat thrush
The gynecologist should deal with the treatment of vaginal candidiasis. Independent use of drugs, can lead to the fact that thrush goes into a chronic form. In this case, the fungus becomes resistant to drugs, and getting rid of it becomes much harder. In this article we will answer the questions that most often occur in women during the treatment of candidiasis.
What kind of suppositories are effective for treating thrush?
Candles and vaginal tablets for the treatment of thrush are local treatments. They are prescribed when the lesions are not deep and there are no complications. Here is a list of the most effective remedies for thrush. In the arms indicated the active substance.
- Pimafucin (Natamycin) - the least toxic. May be used during pregnancy. It causes the death of various fungi. Candles are used before bedtime. They quickly relieve symptoms, but treatment should be continued for another 2-3 days after improvement. The average course is 3-6 days.
- Antifungol, Yenamazol 100, Candibene, Kanesten, Kanizon, (Clotrimazole) its components dissolve the Candide shell. Candles or vaginal tablets are inserted into the vagina 1 time a day before bedtime. The course of treatment is 6-7 days.
- Gyno-Travogen Ovulum (Isoconazole) violates the permeability of the cell wall of fungi. It has anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory effects. Quickly eliminates itching. Used to treat forms of fungi that are resistant to other means. A suppository (candle) is inserted deep into the vagina at bedtime once a day. The course of treatment is 3 days.
- Ginesol 7, Gyno-Daktarin, Klion-D 100 (Miconazole) - destroys fungi and some bacteria. Treatment takes 14 days. One candle deep in the vagina before bedtime.
- Polygynax, Terzhinan (Nystatin) - these vaginal tablets must be moistened before insertion into the vagina.
Use one at bedtime for 10 days.
It should be noted that slight itching and other discomfort may occur within two weeks after treatment.
What pills are effective in treating thrush?
Treatment of thrush tablets has several advantages. You will get rid of unpleasant symptoms in 1-3 days. While treatment with suppositories, vaginal tablets and gels takes an average week. Taking pills provides a comprehensive treatment of fungi in all organs. Therefore, the likelihood of recurrence of thrush is reduced. If the course of the disease is lung, then one drug will suffice. In another case, you will need to take several antifungal agents of different groups. To enhance the effect and get rid of itching, local treatment is additionally prescribed in the form of creams or suppositories.
There are several types of drugs designed to fight fungi. They have different mechanisms of action, but they all lead to the death of Candide and the destruction of their mycelium.
Here is a list of substances that destroy fungi and preparations based on them.
- Fluconazole (Diflucan, Mikosist, Medoflucon, Forkan) - a single dose of 150 mg is enough.
- Ketoconazole (Ketoconazole, Nizoral) - 1-2 tablets per day. Course 5 days.
- Natamycin (Pimafucin) - 1 tablet 3-5 days.
- Miconazole (Miconazole, Micatin, Funginazole) - take 1 tablet for three days.
- Nystatin (Nystatin) - 1 tablet 4 times a day. Duration of treatment is 10-14 days.
What drugs need to treat thrush?
To get rid of thrush, a single drug is not enough. It is necessary to reduce the number of Candida to normal levels, to cure damage to the mucous membranes that have arisen as a result of the disease. After that, you can begin to normalize the microflora to increase the number of lactobacilli. And also required to strengthen the immune system.
Therefore, for the complex treatment of thrush use various groups of drugs.
Antifungal agents (antimycotics) destroy the bulk of Candide. This means on the basis of Fluconazole, Clotrimazole, Ikonazola, Ketoconazole. In the form of candles and creams for the local treatment of genital organs, as well as in the form of tablets and capsules for oral administration.
Antibiotics for the treatment of thrush they fight not only Candida, but also some bacteria that join during candidiasis. They are also available for local and general treatment.
- Macrolide antibiotics: Pimafucin, Natamycin
- Triazol antibiotics: Flukostat, Mikosist
- Polyene antibiotics: Nystatin, Levorin
Combination drugs are products that contain several types of antibiotics. It also contains the hormone prednisone for quick relief from itching, pain and inflammation. This means in the form of ointments and vaginal tablets Terzhinan, Neo-Penotran, Polygynax.
Local therapy of infectious and inflammatory diseases of the female reproductive system not only allows to destroy pathogens, but also inevitably leads to an imbalance of the beneficial vaginal microflora and a decrease in local immunity. If you do not make a rapid recovery of lactoflora, activation of conditionally pathogenic microflora is possible, which will lead to an exacerbation of thrush or bacterial infections. For the same reason, antifungal therapy for vaginal candidiasis may not be effective enough. Therefore, after the first stage of treatment aimed at eradicating the infection, it is important to carry out the second stage - to restore the balance of beneficial microflora with Lactoginal capsules. This is the only tribiotik-drug registered in the Russian Federation. Laktozhalin quickly restores the pH, the vaginal microflora and permanently protects against re-aggravation of bacterial vaginosis and thrush. Two-stage therapy has recently become the gold standard for treating conditions accompanied by pathological secretions. Many experts believe that only such a method can provide a pronounced and long-lasting therapeutic effect, strengthen local immunity, which serves as prevention of subsequent exacerbations.
Immunomodulators or immunomodulators prescribed to strengthen general immunity. His task is to restrain the growth of Candide after the cancellation of treatment. These are Licopid oral tablets and rectal suppositories Viferon, Methyluracil.
Is fluconazole effective in thrush?
Modern antifungal drugs can get rid of thrush in one day. In most cases, it is enough to take Fluconazole 150 mg capsule once to kill a fungal infection. If a woman suffers from recurrent thrush, then you will need to take one capsule once a week or a month for 6-12 months. The doctor selects the scheme individually.
For rapid recovery, it is desirable to combine systemic treatment with Fluconazole capsules and local treatment: suppositories with antifungal and anti-inflammatory drugs, the use of creams and douching.
Various pharmaceutical companies produce drugs based on Fluconazole: Diflazon, Diflucan, Mikosist, Medoflucon, Forkan, Flucostat. The active ingredient of these drugs disrupts metabolic processes in the fungi, which leads to their death. The drug is well absorbed into the blood and goes to all organs, where it accumulates in the required amount. Thus, these drugs relieve the body from any diseases caused by fungi.
With vaginal candidiasis after taking Fluconazole, the woman usually notices a significant improvement within a day. But full recovery occurs in 3-4 days. If a week after taking the drug you continue to disturb the manifestations of thrush, you need to re-seek medical attention.
There are several reasons why taking the Fluconazole capsule did not work. This can happen if the fungi have developed resistance and are not sensitive to it. Other drugs may reduce the effectiveness of fluconazole while taking it. For example, the antibiotic Rifampicin. In some cases, a single dose is not enough. It is required to take one more capsule on the third and on the seventh day of treatment.
It must be remembered that Fluconazole has contraindications and serious side effects. Therefore, it is necessary to take it on the recommendation of a doctor.
What are the popular methods of treating thrush?
For the treatment of thrush in women successfully use recipes of traditional medicine. They have significantly fewer contraindications and side effects than traditional medicines. However, even natural ingredients can cause an allergic reaction. And for pregnant women, douching is generally not recommended. Consider this during treatment.
Hypericum It is an excellent remedy for thrush due to its astringent, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. The high content of phytoncides, guarantees the disposal of bacteria and fungi of the genus Candida. Decoction Hypericum used for douching. To prepare it, take 3-4 tablespoons of herbs, pour boiling water in the amount of 1.5-2 liters. After that, give the drug to infuse for 1.5-2 hours. This infusion is necessary to douche 4 times a day.
It has long been used infusion of sage and raspberry leaves rich in estrogen and anti-inflammatory components.
Method of application: mix sage with raspberry leaves in equal proportions - 2 spoons of each herb. Then pour the mixture of liter of boiling water. We expect 20 minutes for brewing, after we filter the infusion through a sieve or cheesecloth. Letting cool to room temperature. It is used for douching 2-3 times a day. For greater efficiency, you can add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per liter.
Oak bark - an effective way to get rid of thrush. The decoction has a strong antimicrobial effect, soothes inflammation and protects the mucous membrane of the genital organs from deep damage. To prepare the broth, you need to take three parts of oak bark, one part of the string and one part of lavender. To prepare, pour one tablespoon of a mixture of herbs 150 ml of boiling water. Let it brew for 2 hours. After this, the broth must be filtered and pour into it the same amount of boiling water. Syringe this composition 2 times a day.
Cranberries and viburnum - universal assistants in the fight against thrush. Polyphenols, which are contained in these berries, stop the growth of yeast fungi, facilitates the manifestation and strengthens the body. Cranberry or viburnum juices will prevent the development of thrush. But the main requirement is the use of only unsweetened juice. The presence of sugar gives the opposite effect and the fungus develops even more intensively.
Drink juices need 3 times a day for 2 tablespoons. You can add as much water. For douching, take 1 tablespoon of strained juice per cup of warm water.
Is it possible to get pregnant with thrush?
A woman who has an exacerbation of thrush can become pregnant. The processes that occur during candidiasis and the acid that fungi secrete can slightly impair the viability of the sperm. But if their number is large and their mobility is high, fertilization will still occur.
It is desirable that the woman at the time of pregnancy was completely healthy. But still this disease does not carry a serious danger to the fetus. In contrast, for example, rubella.
Features of treatment of candidiasis in menstruation
In candidiasis during menstruation, the symptoms of a fungal infection (itching, burning, discharge) are combined with the discomfort that muscle cramps associated with menstruation cause.
Thrush in menstruation should be treated with gentle methods - this is due to the increased sensitivity of the vaginal mucosa, due to which aggressive drugs can harm women's health no less than the disease itself. It is impossible to choose drugs on your own - the course of therapy should be determined by a specialist.
The candida treatment program should include:
- restoration and maintenance of immunity,
- fruit and vegetable diet,
- taking antifungal drugs.
Medications are prescribed different, depending on the stage of the menstrual cycle. All of them are divided into two groups: systemic - tablets, taken orally at any time, fast acting, but with a number of side effects, and local - safer candles, creams and ointments.
Local treatment of thrush during menstruation
Due to discharge during menstruation, treatment with the use of topical preparations is not prescribed. It is held either shortly before the onset of menstruation, in order to avoid exacerbation, or immediately after it, when the discharge stops. Local antifungal therapy must necessarily be carried out in conjunction with immunostimulatory, otherwise the treatment will not have an effect. In addition, it is desirable to supplement the treatment with the prevention of dysbacteriosis. It should be remembered that douching during menstruation is prohibited.
Thrush after menstruation is most often treated with candles. Candles from thrush often only relieve the unpleasant symptoms of candidiasis (burning and itching), but do not eliminate its cause. But there are also special antifungal suppositories — for example, Nistantin, Levorin, Pimafucin, Dafnedzhin, and others. These drugs are taken in a course of 7–10 days, so you should start it before the start of menstruation only if the cycle is stable.
If menstruation began earlier than the course of use of candles, do not stop treatment, but you need to use the drug, observing some rules:
- after the introduction of the suppository should not get up within half an hour to the active substance is fully absorbed,
- pads should be used to ensure hygiene,
- you need to go to the shower at least twice a day,
- It is recommended to abandon the use of cosmetics and hygiene products with strong flavors.
These candles are also great for treating chronic candidiasis. Their only drawback is the impact on the vaginal microflora, because of which it is necessary to ensure the prevention of dysbiosis. It is advisable to take drugs with the content of live bifidobacteria.
In addition to candles, the following local preparations are used:
- clotrimazole - is used in the form of a solution, applied to the mucous membranes, acts very quickly, but can cause a slight burning sensation,
- Miconazole - a cream that has not only calming symptoms, but also an antifungal effect.
All drugs, as well as their dosage and order of use, must be prescribed by a doctor.
Taking pills for candida
Treatment of thrush during menstruation with the use of systemic drugs is prescribed if urgent therapy is needed, but the discharge prevents the effective use of topical medications, as well as part of a comprehensive treatment after the completion of menstruation. Also, they are starting to be taken shortly before the start of the cycle, if there is a monthly calendar and it is known that one does not have time to complete the full course of using candles.
For the treatment of candidiasis, the following antifungal tablets are used:
- Diflucan. It has a low toxicity, which makes it less likely that side effects of systemic treatment will manifest when it is used. The active substance of the drug does not affect the hormonal metabolism in the body - the woman's steroid background does not change, which excludes such effects as the development of gynecomastia, potassium deficiency in the blood, etc. The drug is taken once in the form of a capsule.
- Levorin. Allergic skin rashes are possible.
Use systemic drugs should be with great caution and only when absolutely necessary. In most cases, the best solution is to temporarily leave the effect on candidiasis before menstruation, wait until the end of menstruation and use vaginal suppositories, as they are much safer. However, you should not get involved in them either - any medicines should be taken exactly in accordance with the dosage prescribed by a specialist.
Traditional methods of treatment
You should not be limited to medications alone, as it is possible to treat thrush and much more gentle folk method - syringing decoction of various medicinal herbs. Such therapy, according to gynecologists, cannot be considered basic, and should be used only as an adjunct to treatment with local or systemic drugs.
Note that douching only helps to cope with the symptoms of thrush, but does not affect the causative agent of candidiasis. However, the health of broths and infusions improve - it is a fact.
The following recipes apply:
- Chamomile decoction. Prepared from 2 tbsp. l dry chamomile, filled with 2 cups of boiling water. Infused for at least 2 hours. It is applied 3 times a day. Chamomile has a calming and bactericidal effect.
- Sage tea. 2 tbsp. l Sage poured 1 liter of hot water for 3 hours. Douching infusion is done 2 times a day. Sage relieves mucositis and soothes itching.
- Baking soda. 1 tsp soda is diluted with 1 liter of water. The solution has a disinfectant action.
Thus, thrush and menses, contrary to popular belief, can occur at the same time - the disease will proceed more unpleasantly than usual, but you can cope with it. The main thing - to follow the instructions of the doctor and use only proven drugs.
Causes of thrush before menstruation
Sometimes it is believed that thrush and menses are inextricably linked, and that menstruation causes the development of candidiasis. But this is not the case, and the causes of the appearance of thrush before menstruation lie elsewhere:
- hormonal changes,
- weakening of immunity
- changes in the microflora of the vaginal mucosa caused by frequent hygienic procedures,
- manifestations of thrush after antibiotics,
- the use of highly flavored pads and tampons of non-natural fibers,
- insufficient change of underwear,
- application for intimate hygiene soap with an aggressive composition.
These reasons are a provoking factor for the development of thrush and increase the activity of candid. Under their influence, the fungal flora actively grows and causes the appearance of unpleasant symptoms.
It is worth knowing that thrush with menstruation is characterized by some features. During this period, the blood that is released from the vagina causes an unpleasant odor, increases the itching and causes a strong burning sensation. Cheesy discharge becomes red and some women take them for pieces of the endometrium, believing that they do not have candidiasis. In addition, sometimes menstruation is too abundant and lasts longer than usual. The pain that worries in the lower abdomen is exacerbated by urination.
If you do not treat candidiasis during menstruation or do not eliminate the disease, it will return again and gradually acquire a chronic form, in which periods of calm will be replaced by periods of exacerbation. Usually, thrush worsens a week before menstruation or at the beginning, while there is a lull in the middle of the cycle.
The simultaneous existence of candidiasis and menstruation exacerbates their symptoms, harming well-being and worsening the quality of life in this difficult period.
Can thrush pass after menstruation
When a woman has thrush during menstruation, it is rather difficult to get rid of her, because therapy in this state has some peculiarities. Before and after menstruation, topical medications can be used; during menstruation, only pills for thrush can be treated. But if the disease started earlier and the doctor prescribed treatment with candles, then you should not interrupt the course. The main thing is to follow certain rules:
- during menstruation can not douche,
- after the introduction of the drug, you need to lie for at least 30 minutes so that the medicine has time to be absorbed into the mucous membrane (it is best to put a candle at night),
- for personal hygiene you need to use pads.
It often happens that thrush does not pass after menstruation, because the vaginal microflora is disturbed, as a result of which candida fungi develop actively. The disease can only intensify and lead to pain that begins during and after intercourse.
Why did thrush start after menstruation
In some cases, the woman appears thrush after menstruation. There are several reasons that can affect the activation of pathogenic microbes:
- improper hygiene products - the use of flavored tampons and pads made from synthetic materials,
- non-compliance with the rules of personal hygiene - it is necessary to change the laundry at least 1-2 times a day, and the fabric should be pleasant to the body, natural and not cause skin irritation,
- hormonal imbalance during menstruation, as a result of which microflora is formed in the vagina, favorable for the development of pathogenic microorganisms,
- weakening of immunity.
Violation of the microflora of the vagina, which was caused by the above reasons, leads to the fact that the woman first appears or worsens thrush. This condition is characterized by profuse vaginal discharge, burning, itching and pain in the lower abdomen.
The use of fermented milk products, a sufficient amount of water, quitting smoking and alcohol will help alleviate the condition.
Is it necessary to treat thrush if it has passed after menstruation
All drugs for the treatment of candidiasis are divided into two types:
- systemic action - pills,
- local - suppositories, vaginal tablets, creams and ointments.
The ability to take pills does not depend on the cycle of the woman, which is a big plus if used for the treatment of candidiasis. As a rule, such drugs have a quick effect, and some of them are enough to take only once, which is very convenient for treatment during menstruation.
The downside is that the pills have their own contraindications and side effects, even though they are minimized with modern drugs.
Suppositories are much safer for health and are highly effective; however, suppositories are not recommended during menstruation. If it is necessary, the specialist may prescribe Livarol, Betadine suppositories, or Terzhinan vaginal tablets, which are not contraindicated in such a period.
Treatment of thrush with menstruation is not always effective, so the disease can gradually become chronic and worsen every month. Indeed, a few days before the menstruation, the body begins to prepare for it, and hormonal disturbances occur, which reduces the body's defenses.
In order to cure thrush during menstruation, it is best to use drugs intended for oral administration. If there are contraindications to the pills, you need to wait until the end of the menstrual period and then proceed to therapy with the help of local agents (candles, vaginal tablets, cream, ointment). Only in this case will it be possible to eliminate the unpleasant symptoms of the disease, restore the vaginal microflora and avoid the further appearance of candidiasis.
You can prevent the occurrence of such an unpleasant disease as candidiasis, if you follow certain preventive measures:
- strengthening immunity
- healthy food - refusal of a large amount of sweets, pastries, alcohol, spicy, smoked and salty foods,
- use of dairy products, boiled fish and meat, fresh vegetables and fruits,
- refusal of uncontrolled antibiotics,
- personal hygiene - a clean vaginal environment will prevent the active reproduction of pathogens.
Fermented milk products that contain beneficial microorganisms, allow you to restore the vaginal microflora, which is especially important in the period before menstruation.
Thanks to a combination of all these factors, it will be possible to avoid the development of candidiasis before and during menstruation. And you should always remember that only a doctor can prescribe suitable drugs for treatment.
Prevention of thrush in women
Prevention of candidiasis is based on the general strengthening of the immune system. Also requires strict personal hygiene, the meaning of which is to maintain the normal microflora of the vagina. Gynecologists recommend using intimate gels with high acidity, which contain lactic acid and with a minimal amount of flavors.
Wear natural fabrics that allow your skin to breathe. But tight tight jeans provoke the development of the disease.
Заразиться молочницей можно в бассейнах и банях, где есть много людей и на кожу воздействует хлорка. Если вы заметили за собой такую склонность, то избегайте посещения этих мест.
Потребляйте больше овощей, фруктов и кисломолочных продуктов. This will help keep the amount of lactobacilli normal. Avoid uncontrolled medication and do not forget about preventive visits to the doctor.
Is it possible to treat candidiasis during menstruation?
To treat thrush during menstruation is not only possible but necessary. That's just not all tools are suitable for these purposes. It is strictly forbidden to use candles, which are considered, almost the only drugs that relieve vaginal candidiasis.
The truth is that topical drugs undoubtedly eliminate disease agents and have a beneficial effect on the outcome of the disease. But thrush is a “cunning” and unpredictable disease. For its complete cure, an integrated approach is required, which also includes the oral intake of antimycotic drugs.
It should be noted that the main cause of the development of pathology is an imbalance of the microflora of the vagina. The causative agent of the disease is the fungus of the genus Candida - representatives of opportunistic flora. In other words, these fungi are present in the body of every healthy person in a certain amount. An increase in their numbers leads to thrush.
There are many predisposing factors:
- reduced immunity
- taking antibiotics and some other medicines
- allergic reactions
- hormonal imbalance, which manifests itself during menstruation.
Often the woman feels the first symptoms before the onset of critical days. During menstruation, they can increase, subside, or "masked" for menstrual discomfort. And after the cessation of discharge, the disease does not go anywhere, but is only aggravated.
The question naturally arises: "What to do?". The answer is unequivocal - to treat, but only on prescription, and not on the advice of girlfriends.
What to do if the disease appeared in the "red" days?
Very often, it is precisely these days that the “height” comes, especially if the process is chronic. During menstruation, favorable conditions for the development of fungi are created in the vagina. With good immunity, "protection" suppresses reproduction of colonies of pathogens and the disease does not occur. But modern realities indicate the opposite.
It is very important to know the specific symptoms of candidiasis in menstruation. Cheesy discharge - one of the most significant. But due to the presence of blood discharge to notice it is almost impossible. Therefore, you should pay attention to such manifestations:
- immediately before the "red" days there is severe itching and burning during urination,
- specific unpleasant sour or fishy smell of menstrual blood,
- increased discomfort and pain in the lower abdomen,
- discharge is more abundant,
- in some cases, the period of menstruation increases.
Experts state that the combination of menstruation and thrush does not pose a threat to the patient's life. First of all, a woman needs to take care of the maximum hygiene of the genitals and the elimination of discomfort.
Treatment of thrush in women during menstruation
To accurately ensure that thrush began during menstruation, you need to contact a specialist. Only in this case, you can be sure of the correctness of the diagnosis.
When candidiasis is detected, treatment should be carried out to both sexual partners, since the sexual route of infection is not excluded. This is the first rule that you need to firmly grasp in order to avoid re-infection.
It is necessary to adhere to a certain diet. All sorts of sweets, white pastries, alcoholic (including low alcohol) drinks, soda, spices, smoked foods and canned foods are temporarily excluded from the menu. Squashes, fresh fruits and vegetables, boiled chicken, rabbit, turkey meat should form the basis of nutrition.
Do not use tampons and scented pads. It is very important to choose hygienic products from natural cellulose. This should be considered not only in the presence of such a problem, but also to prevent it.
What to do, first of all, since the problem appeared in such a period:
- if the symptoms of the disease appear before menstruation, you should immediately begin therapy to eliminate or minimize the risk of complications or increase discomfort directly during the "red" days,
- if there is very little time left before the discharge, it is better to wait until the end and then begin treatment. The reason for this approach is that the fungi adapt to a specific drug and the course duration will have to be increased or a stronger medicine will be used.
- Directly during critical days, it is recommended to take the complex drug "Terzhinan". It is not only detrimental to pathogens, but also removes the painful syndrome.
The use of rectal suppositories can only be done as prescribed by a doctor, as these drugs have a very wide list of contraindications and side effects.
And now a little bit again. Is it possible to treat thrush during menstruation? Without fail. Than? Vaginal suppositories - in no case, oral antimycotics - as prescribed by the doctor, since not all of them are suitable for use at this particular time.
Among the most common and sought after:
- Fluconazole. In the course of treatment is enough 1 tablet. To eliminate the risk of recurrence, it is recommended to re-take a week
- Flucostat. The drug is available in capsules. The regimen is similar,
- Mikosist and Diflucan - the active substance fluconazole,
- Pimafucin (natamycin) is also allowed during pregnancy and breastfeeding. If you follow the scheme - 1 tab. four times a day during the week, you can completely get rid of the disease,
- Ketoconazole. The course of treatment is 14 days, take one tablet at regular time intervals.
On the advice of a physician, after vaginal discharges are stopped, vaginal suppositories can be prescribed as a prophylactic measure - if the symptoms disappear completely and laboratory tests (smears) normalize microflora.
Otherwise, the gynecologist will recommend to undergo a full course of treatment to avoid chronization of the pathology.
Treatment of thrush in women during the monthly folk remedies involves the use of certain compositions for washing, as douching in a given period of time is strictly contraindicated.
In general, douching should be carried out very carefully and only after consulting with a gynecologist. This method of therapy has a “reverse side of the coin” - excessive zeal can lead to a worsening of the situation, since not only the pathogen is washed out, but also the microorganisms that are useful.
Herbal preparations are used to make infusions or decoctions. Marigold (calendula), chamomile color, leaves of the series and walnut mixed in equal proportions and two large spoons of the collection are poured with a liter of boiling water. Need to insist under the lid closed for at least an hour. Then strain the liquid and cool to a comfortable temperature. Hygienic procedure carried out 2-3 times a day, and certainly at night.
Soda solution with iodine is a good antiseptic, which also perfectly alkalizes the environment, which contributes to the death of fungi.
Tea tree oil is the “thunderstorm” of any fungi. During menstruation, you can wash with water with this ether (4-5 drops of oil per liter of boiled water).
Causes of candidiasis
Today, there are about one and a half hundred fungi that can trigger the development of candidiasis. However, for their infection of the genitals, it is necessary to comply with a number of conditions. What factors contribute to the appearance of thrush?
First of all, we are talking about:
- Weak immunity. That is why very often candidiasis begins to develop in spring, when the body suffers from beriberi after winter,
- Chronic acquired and congenital diseases. Diabetics suffer most often from candidiasis, who need to adhere to all the rules for preventing this disease,
- Use for contraception pills and suppositories. It is better to abandon them in favor of condoms and other "barrier" methods that do not violate the overall hormonal balance in the body,
- Bathing in polluted waterwhich is an excellent breeding ground for fungi that trigger the development of thrush,
- Wearing uncomfortable synthetic underwear. Synthetic helps to create all the necessary conditions for the reproduction of the fungus, so when buying panty, it is better to make a choice in favor of products made from natural fabrics, such as linen or cotton,
- Non-compliance with the rules of personal hygiene.
Exacerbations before menstruation
Candidiasis in the majority of cases attacks the female body approximately one week before the start of menstruation. This is not surprising, because it is during this period that the general hormonal changes, which in turn leads to a decrease in immunity in general.
If the thrush has passed into the chronic stage, then before the menstruation the situation is aggravated doubly. The fungus, which had ceased to make itself felt for some time, begins to multiply three times faster, which naturally leads to a sharp deterioration of the woman’s condition and loss of sleep.
For this reason, in no case should you run such a disease. Be sure to consult a doctor about how to treat thrush and immediately proceed to treatment.
Thrush during menstruation: features of the disease
In most cases, candidiasis cannot cause serious disorders in the body. It creates only a certain discomfort for a woman.
However, like any other disease, thrush cannot be started. When candidiasis goes into the chronic stage, it can provoke inflammation of the ovaries and infertility.
The following signs indicate the development of thrush:
- The appearance of white cheesy discharge. Sometimes they can be threadlike. They have an extremely unpleasant sour smell,
- Pain during urination and intimacy
- Itching and burning in the vagina.
Despite the fact that many women are convinced that thrush and menstruation are closely interrelated, this statement is not true. It is more correct to say that they only have an indirect effect on each other. Menstruation creates favorable causes for the development of the fungus, therefore it is during this period that the most frequent cases of infection with this disease are observed.
Thrush for menstruation has a number of distinctive features:
- Excretions become more abundant and thick,
- The duration of the monthly increases slightly, they can be interrupted for a while, and then resume again,
- The unpleasant smell of discharge intensifies,
- The itch sometimes becomes simply intolerable and turns into a burning sensation.
It is possible to overcome candidiasis during menstruation in several ways. You can learn more about them in the following table.
Treatment of thrush during the monthly folk remedies
Usually the symptoms of candidiasis begin to appear some time before menstruation, which allows you to start timely treatment. At this stage of the disease is recommended to use folk methods. The most popular among them are:
- Soda solution. Since soda is alkaline in nature, and an acidic environment is necessary for the development of the Candida group of fungi, this tool allows you to quickly get rid of an unpleasant disease. For its preparation it is necessary to dilute a tablespoon of soda in a liter of boiled water, then add a few drops of iodine to the solution. Douching should be carried out 2 times a day,
- Chamomile decoction. It is also quite an effective means by which it is possible to cure candidiasis in 5-7 days. A spoonful of dry chamomile must be infused in a liter of hot water. After that, the solution should be filtered. This tool can be used for douching, and for taking a sedentary bath,
- Infusion of calendula. One of the folk remedies that can be used for thrush and during menstruation. As in the case of chamomile broth, for the preparation you will need one tablespoon of dry calendula to insist in one liter of boiled water. Before menstrual infusion is perfect for douching, and during menstruation they are advised to wash (sometimes you can also do 10-minute sit-down baths),
- Glycerol. You will need to mix borax and glycerin in a 1: 1 ratio, then apply the mixture to the swab and gently insert it into the vagina.
Drugs for the treatment of candidiasis
During the menstrual cycle, douching is naturally forbidden, since during this period they can cause great harm to women's health. For this reason, when menstruation, it will be advisable to use medications for the treatment of thrush.
Preference should be given to a variety of pills and antibiotics, which have a powerful antifungal effect. One of the best tools in the fight against candidiasis is fluconazole. With it, you can significantly reduce the period of treatment of the disease, but with the use of this substance in no case can not overdo it. The fact is that it is an extremely strong drug and when taking large doses it can provoke a number of side effects, including a delay in menstruation in the future.
If a woman starts using candles when thrush appears, their use is acceptable even during menstruation, however, in this case it is necessary to follow a few fairly simple rules, namely:
- With this treatment, you should abandon tampons and use pads,
- Putting candles is best before bedtime,
- After inserting the candle into the vagina, it is imperative to hold it in the lying position for about 30 minutes so that the medicine does not flow out along with the discharge.
And, of course, in no case should we forget about the rules of personal hygiene. Their compliance is doubly important during the development of a fungal disease during the menstrual cycle. At this time it is worth refusing to use flavored pads and tampons, as well as a variety of hygienic gels with a strong smell. It is highly recommended to visit the shower at least twice a day.
How to cure thrush during menstruation?
For many years, unsuccessfully struggling with the dairy?
The head of the Institute: “You will be amazed how easy it is to cure a thrush by taking each day.
According to statistics, every second woman has encountered thrush - a large number of factors provoking the development of candidiasis are the cause of this prevalence of the disease. Menstruation does not apply to them, but you might think so, because thrush during menstruation has a particularly acute course and a more pronounced manifestation of symptoms.
For the treatment of thrush, our readers successfully use Candiston. Seeing the popularity of this tool, we decided to offer it to your attention.
Read more here ...
This is due to the fact that during menstruation, the growth of Candida fungi is activated due to:
- creating favorable conditions on the mucous membranes of the vagina for the reproduction of microorganisms,
- changes in the hormonal background of the body,
- use of hygienic and cosmetic products that change the environment of the mucous membranes to more alkaline.
Note that the course and duration of menstrual thrush is not affected. Thus, these two states are connected with each other, although they do not directly affect each other. Because of this connection, some features of the treatment of candidiasis, if he met at the peak of the menstrual cycle. So, how to cure thrush during and immediately after menstruation?
The cause of thrush before menstruation
Before considering the causes, it is necessary to understand how the internal environment of the female body is arranged. Flora consists of good and conditionally pathogenic microorganisms, in particular, yeast-like fungi. Normally, they are present in our body, without causing any diseases, but under certain factors their active growth may begin, leading to the appearance of the disease.
Interestingly, microorganisms that make up the natural microflora not only coexist, but also interact with each other. If there is a change in the number of one species, then it can not affect the others. For example, if lactobacilli are reduced in number, this leads to a decrease in acidity and, as a consequence, an increase in fungal infection.
According to experts, the allocation during menstruation is not able to cause thrush, at the same time, both of these conditions can aggravate each other. Consider the main causes of candidiasis before menstruation:
- reduced immunity. Avitaminosis, nervous strain, stressful situations, the postoperative period, radical diets - all this can provoke the development of pathogenic microflora,
- uncontrolled intake of antibacterial agents. Antibiotics destroy not only pathogenic, but also useful microflora,
- excessive consumption of sugar and flour products,
- diabetes and other endocrine disorders
- hormonal disbalance,
- bathing in dirty waters
- use of oral contraceptives.
Thrush for menstruation: the main reasons
Is there a direct relationship between candidiasis and menstruation? Not really. By themselves, monthly thrush does not provoke, but they are capable of reproaching the process of reproduction of yeast-like fungi for the following reasons:
- in the first days of the menstrual cycle, changes occur in the mucous membrane of the genital organs, as a result of which favorable conditions are created for the active reproduction of the fungal infection,
- critical days provoke hormonal changes,
- Frequent hygiene procedures and the use of special cosmetics can lead to a change in acidity, which is one of the trigger factors for the development of yeast-like fungi.
Yet whatever the form of candidiasis, no matter how intense its intensity, it does not affect the duration of the menstrual cycle and does not lead to violations in this area, so if you have any failures in the cycle, you shouldn’t sin "for candidiasis.
If we talk about the clinical picture of thrush, it basically does not differ from the symptoms on any other day:
For the treatment of thrush, our readers successfully use Candiston. Seeing the popularity of this tool, we decided to offer it to your attention.
Read more here ...
- painful urination,
- itching and irritation of the external genitalia,
- discomfort during intercourse,
- cheesy discharge.
A thrush with menstruation characterized by specific vaginal discharge will have a specific unpleasant odor. This is due to the active reproduction of pathogenic organisms as a result of the use of pads and tampons. When anxiety symptoms appear, it is necessary to change hygiene means more often, because they can become the cause of intensifying the symptoms.
In general, with menstruation, the clinical picture of thrush is much more intense. Critical days on the background of candidiasis can be more painful.
It should also take into account the fact that some drugs against candidiasis can lead to delayed menstruation. After the cessation of the treatment course, everything should recover. If this does not happen, then you should look for the cause "in another place."
In addition, you should pay attention to the situation when, against the background of thrush, menstruation occurs. As it turned out, the disease itself does not violate the cycle. What is the reason then? The reasons for the delay are as follows:
- start of menopause. Changes in hormonal levels may provoke the development of a fungal infection,
- side effect of drugs
- the onset of pregnancy. Do not start treatment before passing the test. In the first weeks of pregnancy, the vital organs of the fetus are laid, so an incorrectly chosen treatment may affect its development.
Erosion, cystitis, urethritis, inflammatory processes of the genital sphere - all this can occur with non-treated candidiasis. And during pregnancy it causes miscarriage and premature birth. That is why you should not let the situation take its course, but promptly eliminate it.
The treatment process includes the observance of a whole range of activities, namely:
- use of antimycotic tablet drugs. Their feature is that the reception is not associated with the menstrual cycle. Usually these drugs act quickly and sometimes a single use is enough.
- use of local antifungal drugs in the form of ointments, creams or vaginal suppositories,
- herbal infusions,
- sitting baths based on disinfectant solutions.
Carefully examining these points, it becomes obvious that it is more expedient to carry out the treatment after stopping the discharge, since during menstruation it would be wrong to douch and make baths, and many vaginal suppositories are forbidden to use during this period.
Auxiliary, but an important element of the treatment process is the observance of proper nutrition. You should try to include in your diet more sour-milk products, but without sugar. Bacteria that are in yogurt, kefir will fight against fungal infection. And sweet and yeast products should be completely excluded.
Treatment should begin after passing a diagnostic examination and establishing the true cause of the development of the disease. Any drug must be taken after consultation with the doctor, so there may be contraindications and side effects.
In recent years, doctors have used the following medicines in the treatment of thrush:
- Diflucan. According to experts, it is one of the low-toxic, but at the same time highly effective antifungal agents,
- nystatin. Well tolerated by patients, but there are risks of allergic reactions,
- pimafucin. It is a safe remedy in the treatment of thrush. It can be used even during pregnancy and lactation. Pimafucin does not cause irritation of the skin or mucous membranes.
If the development of thrush is associated with a weakened immune system, it is necessary to strengthen it. To do this, your diet should be enriched with the following products:
The important point is the use of protein foods. Interestingly, the protein contributes to the production of interferon - an important component of the immune system. In some cases, you may need to use multivitamins.
Do not forget that prevention is the best treatment. Why treat a problem if you can just prevent it? Of course, not everything depends on us. Nevertheless, if you adhere to the following tips, you can reduce the risk of an illness:
- a week before the start of the month, start taking probiotic supplements. This will help to inhabit the body with beneficial bacteria - the main "competitors" of yeast-like fungi,
- reducing carbohydrate intake
- rejection of strings, close and synthetic underwear,
- compliance with hygiene procedures with the use of special tools for the intimate sphere.
The optimal drug may be prescribed by a qualified technician. Before taking any drug, it is important to consult a doctor. Self-treatment is not a solution.
A non-treated disease can lead to serious complications, including even infertility. That is why you should not delay the campaign with a gynecologist, he will tell you how to treat thrush during menstruation, and also speed up the healing process, reducing the risk of relapse.
General information about candidiasis
Urogenital candidiasis is a lesion of the mucous membranes of the vulva, vagina and urethra by yeast-like fungi of the genus Candida. Candida vulvovaginitis is a very common disease among women of reproductive age, approximately 70% of women at least once have experienced the symptoms of such inflammation. And 5% develop chronic recurrent candidiasis. This means that the disease occurs with a certain frequency, for example, before the onset of menstruation. The defeat of the urethra occurs much less frequently.
Mushrooms of the genus Candida are conditionally pathogenic microflora, can be found among the normal microflora of the intestine, on the mucous membrane of the genital organs, in the oral cavity. The presence of fungi in a healthy body does not manifest itself.
Candidiasis may indicate a change in the hormonal background of a woman and a decrease in immunity.
The causes of thrush:
- Endocrine diseases (obesity, diabetes).
- Severe common diseases (HIV, leukemia).
- Condition after acute infections.
- Dysbacteriosis due to the use of broad-spectrum antibiotics, hormonal contraceptives.
Normally, lactobacilli predominate on the mucous membrane of the vagina, they form an acidic environment, which is detrimental to most pathogens, and stimulates the female immune system. With the onset of pregnancy in a healthy body, an increase in the number of lactobacilli occurs, and therefore the baby is born with resistance to environmental pathogens.
If a woman who is about to conceive a child has suffered any serious endocrine diseases, has taken oral contraceptives or antibiotics for a long time, then with the onset of pregnancy, the lactoflora balance of the vaginal mucosa is disturbed, and pathogenic microorganisms, including Candida fungi, colonize.
The frequency of contacting women who are expecting a baby about thrush in the first trimester of pregnancy reaches 50%. Another factor causing the symptoms of fungal infection is a high level of estrogen. They cause the proliferation of cells of the vaginal epithelium, thereby stimulating the increase of glycogen in them, and glucose, which is formed during its splitting, is an excellent nutrient medium for fungi. Physiological reduction of immunity during pregnancy also provokes the development of thrush.
Symptoms of thrush in pregnant women
Highlight white color, "cheesy" consistency, itching sensation in the external genital organs - these are typical manifestations of thrush. Pain interrupts during intercourse, and burning after urination. In severe lesions and in the absence of treatment, an ascending infection may develop with damage to the fetus and the development of serious defects.
Complications with the running form of candidiasis
- threatening and spontaneous miscarriages,
- signs of intrauterine infection,
- early release of amniotic fluid
- fetal hypoxia,
- postpartum endometritis.
In newborns - from fungal infections of the oral cavity and genitals to pneumonia and sepsis.
First trimester of pregnancy
1 term is up to 12 weeks. The countdown starts from the first day of the last menstruation, since it is easier for doctors to predict the date of birth. This is a very important time for mom and fetus. Approximately by the middle of this period a woman learns that she is pregnant, obvious changes appear in her body, there comes an awareness of her role in the life of the future baby, an increase in self-responsibility. At this time, it is necessary to be examined by the necessary medical specialists, and to pass tests.
During the first three months, all the organs and systems of the unborn child are formed; it passes from unicellular embryo, which has not yet penetrated the uterine wall, to a fully formed fetus. By the end of the first period, the pens and legs already have fingers, a face - certain features, and even in the brain, grooves and gyrus are already formed.
Treatment of candidiasis in pregnant women
Intake of many drugs systematically during the laying of organs is contraindicated, therefore, treatment of thrush that occurred during pregnancy in the first trimester is carried out only locally (candles and ointments). Pimafucin will be the only remedy permitted during this period. The use of Natamycin during pregnancy may justify its use, despite the risk.
These candles have a sparing effect on the vaginal mucosa, do not penetrate into the blood and uterus, at the same time have an effective antifungal effect. Assigned to 1 candle at night for 6-9 days. Infection in pregnant women is very quickly treatable, so after the first candles relief comes, but despite this, you must complete the course to the end.
If a pregnant woman in the first trimester has no symptoms of candidiasis, then for prevention it is better not to treat, due to the possible risks of the influence of antifungal drugs on the fetus. Fortunately, at this time the disease does not occur very often, and in subsequent periods it is much easier to cure it, the main organs and systems of the fetus are already laid, the risk of genetic disorders is low.
How to prevent unpleasant symptoms
There are several methods of preventive measures aimed at preventing the occurrence of thrush in the first and subsequent trimesters of pregnancy. These are very simple methods that every woman can apply in everyday life. Prevention is aimed at creating conditions under which the body does not have a favorable soil for colonization by fungi.
The first and mandatory requirement is personal hygiene. Every person should become accustomed daily shower, toilet genitals in the morning and evening. This will naturally slow down the growth and reproduction of pathogenic microbes. The choice of underwear should be in favor of a soft cotton product. Synthetics and laces cause an increased formation of a moist environment, which is so loved by various microorganisms.
Immunity support includes all the rules of a healthy lifestyle. Proper nutrition, fresh air, active lifestyle and positive emotions always have a positive effect on a woman’s health and good mood.