Delay of menstruation with thrush is the most frequent topic of conversation among women, which requires an urgent decision. In a circle of friends and co-workers, you most likely will not get anything valuable - it will all end in one chatter.
Do not listen to any recommendations like "one woman said," and quickly go for a consultation with a gynecologist. We will try to briefly describe how the thrush and the delay are interrelated, and for what reason the alarm should be sounded.
Causes of delayed menstruation
In the development of the female body, hormonal background plays a huge role, which, in fact, makes a girl a woman. At a certain time, if there are no serious developmental abnormalities, each girl will have monthly periods or following medical terminology - menstruation.
The bleeding of the menstrual cycle updates the female body on a monthly basis and prepares it for the occurrence of pregnancy, because childbirth is the main function of a woman given to her by nature.
If everything works clearly like a clock, then there is no cause for concern. But, one has only to feel a slight failure in the debugged system for at least one day, the ladies panic.
The factors that can cause a delay in menstruation vary widely. Let's try to label them.
Pregnancy. This “moment” should be checked first. In this case, a trip to the doctor is obligatory, but it is also possible on your own to conduct a small preliminary examination, using the usual pregnancy test bought at a pharmacy or store according to the instructions.
Stress or depression. The psychological state for us girls is our “everything”. Going out of husband or loved one, illness of loved ones, trouble at work, torn tights, broken nails and an acute shortage of bank notes can cause disharmony in the work of the whole organism. A woman is an emotional creature and sometimes it just lives.
Hormonal imbalance. It usually appears as a result of pathological disorders of the thyroid gland or other endocrine glands. Not the last place is taken by self-treatment or the misuse of hormonal drugs, for example, contraceptives.
Hard physical labor. Often, women who are forced to work at night shifts, engaged in work with physical exertion, as well as professional athletes or military personnel, periodically reorganize in the cycle.
Weakened immunity. The risk of developing various diseases and disorders of the internal organs of a person is most often triggered by a decrease in protective forces.
Depletion of the body. Incorrectly chosen diets and methods of starvation, which modern anorexic girls are passionate about, turn them into asexual "skeletons." The body refuses not only to eat, but also to work in the required mode.
Metabolic disease. Such a problem as obesity is also fraught with disruptions from the genital area. Very often, young girls who do not follow their weight, there is an incorrect production of enzymes that break down nutrients and the deposition of a significant amount of fat in organs and tissues. The sugar content in the blood increases and diabetes mellitus develops, which pushes to gynecological problems.
Old diseases and infections. The chronic course of many diseases in the period of relapse, as well as infectious diseases and even a simple acute respiratory viral infection can delay your cyclical process.
Fungal diseases. Against the background of weakened immunity, fungi very often dormant in the environment and inside a person exert their detrimental effect on the genitals, leading to a delay in the regulation. Note that the female genital organs are most susceptible to fungal infection just before or after the onset of “critical days”, as well as during pregnancy.
Delayed menstruation and thrush
We will consider the issue of thrush in more detail, because it is candidiasis and delay that women associate as cause and effect. Let's find out what is candidiasis or, in other words, thrush.
Candidiasis is a fungal disease caused by a yeast fungus of the genus Candida. Favorite place of candida is the mucous membranes of the mouth and vagina. In this case, we are interested in the gynecological component.
The spores of the fungus quickly penetrate deep into the tissues, forming numerous colonies and as a result of their vital activity produce toxins. The action of toxic substances causes a decrease in the immune system. The body fights as it can:
- mucous exudes a selection resembling cottage cheese,
- there is an unpleasant smell of kefir peroxide,
- with a general malaise, unbearable itching in the vagina joins,
- pain and burning when urinating,
- swelling and hyperemia of the external genital organs,
- nervousness and hopelessness (stress).
All clinical manifestations of the disease contribute to the delay of menstruation after thrush.
Important! Do not try to cure candidiasis yourself. Self-medication can lead to chronic forms and recurrent relapses, and therefore delays. Then it will be harder to help and recovery will take a protracted nature. The necessary course of therapy will be prescribed only by a gynecologist. Your task is strict implementation of all recommendations.
I would like to note that it will be necessary to treat the fungus after a certain examination, and most importantly, for both partners.
Treatment for thrush
Combined therapy helps not only to pacify the fungus, but also to strengthen the immune defense, calm the nerves, improve intimate life. As a tonic doctor prescribes vitamin therapy.
The pharmacy network presents a wide range of medicines for candidiasis in tablets and suppositories (fluconazole, pimafucin, clotrimazole, livarol). The dosage is individual and depends on the stage and form of the disease.
Treatment usually lasts no more than ten days. You can not neglect folk remedies: decoction of chamomile, soda solution, the use of tampons with sea buckthorn oil, honey and onion juice.
Age Related Features
For most women (60%), the menstrual cycle is 28 days, for a third it is 21. The last stage of the cycle is monthly bleeding. Blood secretions indicate that pregnancy has not come. And when they appear regularly - it means there is no failure in the body. The delay serves as a signal for breaking the normal rhythm.
Delay of menstruation at 11-15 years is common. Thrush in adolescent girls in contrast to adult women appears less frequently, but also has a place to be. This is due to the formation of hormonal and microbalance of the vagina. The lack of female estrogen hormones, estrogen, affects the menstrual cycle (its instability) and the insufficient amount of lactobacilli - the main competitors and the strength that holds Candida yeast fungi. Therefore, it may be suggested that girls suffering from chronic candidiasis may be delayed due to thrush, which is not true.
In adolescence, girls virgins delay may be after thrush, due to the same hormonal causes.
The manifestation of vaginal candidiasis and delayed menstruation after 45-50 years are also not the result of each other. A crucial role in changing the cycle is played by age-related features and the onset of the menopausal transition period. With ovarian exhaustion syndrome, menopause can occur up to 40 years.
Women who have undergone surgery to remove the ovaries, after long-term treatment with cytostatics, corticosteroids, chemotherapy can not only appear thrush due to weakened immunity and dysfunction of the sex glands, but also artificial menopause. The ovaries stop secreting estrogens, and because of this, the work of all the organs that are connected with them is disrupted, and the urogenital system, skin, and mammary glands are the first to suffer. The result of this can be not only candidiasis of the genitals, but also mycosis of smooth skin.
Pregnancy and hormonal disorders
Pregnancy is the most common cause of delayed menstruation in women of childbearing age. Reject the occurrence of this option can not even when using contraception during sexual intercourse. But it is necessary to take into account the fact that pregnancy and vaginal candidiasis are frequent satellites of each other.
The resulting fungal disease spontaneously can be a sign of pregnancy. Mycotic infection manifests itself a week after conception with characteristic symptoms:
- cheesy or liquid whites,
- severe itching of the genitals.
Doctors examining a woman with symptoms of vaginal mycosis. The first thing they start with is they find out if there is a pregnancy and only after that they prescribe the treatment. This is a prerequisite for diagnosis, since not all drugs for candidiasis are suitable for the treatment of candidiasis during gestation.
In this case, the answer to the question whether there can be a delay due to thrush is negative. Candidiasis can not be the cause of delayed menstruation. Pregnancy is a provoking factor in the development of the disease and this is due to the fluctuation of hormones in a woman’s body.
After changing the amount of any type of hormones (estrogen and progesterone), regardless of the causes, violations also occur in the balance of vaginal microflora:
- With a lack of estrogen decreases the level of glycogen (carbohydrate), which is food for all the inhabitants of the vagina. Lactobacillus (useful flora) begins to lack food and because of this their number decreases. Therefore, if a woman is a carrier of Candida fungi, then it certainly contributes to their growth. They begin to suppress lactobacilli, responsible for maintaining the level of acidity of the vagina, local immunity and actively reproduce.
- With increasing levels of estrogen, which is caused by the same reasons, the amount of glycogen in the vaginal epithelium becomes very large. Lactobacilli cannot cope with this amount and the pathogenic flora gets a lot of nutrients from which it begins to increase its population.
Changes in glycogen synthesis associated with pregnancy, nervous stress, diseases of the ovaries, and endocrine disorders are the reasons for the simultaneous occurrence of two phenomena of menstruation and thrush.
How is thrush related to monthly
The disease, popularly called thrush, provokes a microscopic fungus of the genus Candida, in a single quantity that is part of the normal microflora. In a healthy organism, the development of candidiasis (which is what scientifically called thrush is called) is hampered by the presence of protective cells - lactobacilli. However, local immunity is easily subject to fluctuations. The ratio of useful and pathogenic particles is significantly influenced by hormonal background, during sharp violations of which often there is a simultaneous delay of menstruation with thrush, as both conditions are hormone-dependent. It is no coincidence that candidiasis often affects girls in puberty, women in the age of premenopause, or pregnant women.
Inflammatory pathologies of an acute or chronic nature also often create a situation where there may be a delay in menstruation with thrush.
It is possible to suggest the development of candidiasis at the onset of the first symptoms. The onset of the disease proceeds rapidly: there is a strong itching and discomfort in the region of the external genital organs and vagina, the mucous is reddened, swollen, there are moderate or abundant white cheesy discharge with a sour smell. Symptoms of the disease can periodically subside and return.
Causes of delay in thrush
Evidence-based medicine has no reason to believe that cases of candida fungi penetrate into the uterus and appendages, causing various violations of an unknown nature, leading to a cycle failure, soldering of the fallopian tubes and other horrors. Such assertions have never been confirmed by anyone, but they are actively discussed if it comes to whether a monthly delay is possible due to thrush. Vaginal candidiasis is a local disease, and the microbes causing it do not penetrate into the internal genital organs and, moreover, are incapable of provoking dysmenorrhea. But sometimes these conditions are due to the same causes.
- The dependence of microflora on the synthesis of sex hormones. The puberty period, menopause, ovarian dysfunction and related changes in the endocrine system almost always lead to the growth of colonies of fungi. In these cases, a decrease in local immunity is chronic in nature: thrush occurs regularly, may be asymptomatic. Confusion in the timing of the onset of menstruation, oligomenorrhea and other violations of the cycle is also one of the signs of trouble or restructuring in the reproductive system. Long-term starvation diets, climate change, severe physical exhaustion, stress, and systemic diseases can also cause hormonal disruption and subsequent cycle troubles and fungal colpitis.
- Pregnancy. From the moment of conception to detecting this condition, sometimes several weeks or months pass, and internal changes: the growth of gonadotropin, progesterone, and the decrease in immune defense, affecting the qualitative and quantitative ratio of the vaginal flora, begin to occur from the first days. Despite the fact that the delay in menstruation and thrush in this situation is the result of one cause, pregnancy, many women consider candidiasis to be the culprit of a cycle failure before it is identified.
- Diseases of the reproductive organs: oophoritis, salpingitis, adhesions of the fallopian tubes, ovarian cyst and other pathologies. Dysmenorrhea and candidiasis can simultaneously be a consequence of destructive processes and inflammations.
- Therapy with potent antibiotics is an almost classic case of the appearance of delayed menstruation with the simultaneous development of candidiasis. Failure can cause, inter alia, the funds used to treat the most thrush. Usually, the possibility of such a side effect warns the attending physician or instructions to the drug. In such situations, it is enough to be patient and wait for the end of the course of treatment. Menstruation comes with some delay, the symptoms of thrush require separate measures.
- Sometimes, behind a commonplace thrush, more serious diseases hide, including venereal: chlamydia, ureaplasmosis, trichomoniasis, genital herpes, gonorrhea. The risk of getting them from a woman is huge with frequent changes of sexual partners and the absence of the habit of using barrier protection. In addition, chronic candidiasis, rarely making itself felt, is a background disease - the entrance gate for various infections. Often they appear after thrush - eliminate its main symptoms, and are accompanied by a delayed menstruation or a change in the nature of the discharge. Ascending inflammatory process provokes disturbances in the work of the pelvic organs: the uterus and ovaries.
What to do
Since the thrush and the delay of menstruation, which appeared at the same time, can be caused by serious reasons, it is impossible to ignore them or try to do it yourself. It requires professional medical care. Some girls with a strong itch and whiter prefer to buy in the nearest pharmacy "something from inflammation" at the discretion of the pharmacist. Treatment at random in this case is rarely adequate. All that can be achieved is a temporary easing of symptoms. Candida fungus has more than 100 varieties and is able to change very quickly, producing drug resistance. The emergence of high resistance contribute to antibiotics, hormones, so some antihistamines can affect the body.
Simultaneous with the development of candidiasis, a violation of the cycle can signal the occurrence of pregnancy or a serious failure, so any initiative is inappropriate.
Opinion of doctors
Any therapeutic measures with existing violations in the reproductive system are appointed after the diagnosis. The “bombardment” of the body with inappropriate medicines is never useful, it only aggravates the disease, driving it deeper. The causes of simultaneous thrush and delayed menses can vary from hormonal changes to STDs. An accurate diagnosis is established after laboratory testing of a vaginal smear, bacterial seeding on pathogenic microorganisms, additional biochemical blood tests. If you suspect the pathology of internal organs is carried out ultrasound.
If dysmenorrhea and fungal colpitis are the result of an imbalance of hormones due to polycystic disease, systemic impairment or inflammation in the reproductive organs, the treatment of the underlying disease is first prescribed. Often, negative symptoms are eliminated without additional exposure.
Ointments and suppositories are prescribed only after determining the sensitivity of the pathogen to antifungal substances. Antibiotics are not applicable in this case.
Нередко упорно не желающий проходить кандидоз или частые рецидивы сигнализируют о развивающейся резистентности к применяемым препаратам. The likelihood of such a clinical picture is high with simultaneous treatment of hypothyroidism, disorders of carbohydrate metabolism, pneumonia, tuberculosis and other complex diseases. Gynecologists in such cases, oddly enough, are not advised to be zealous in trying to get rid of candidiasis. Common Tips:
- stop for a while the use of all local antimicrobial agents,
- refrain from sex or use condoms,
- to regulate nutrition, eliminating sugar and sweets from it, increasing the amount of fermented milk products and vegetables,
- for intimate hygiene use special neutral products.
To maintain local immunity, it is allowed to use traditional medicine: decoctions of St. John's wort, chamomile, oak bark, calendula.
It is advisable to abandon the wearing of linen from synthetic fabrics, to choose only cotton. You should not supercool and engage in heavy physical work.
Within a few days after the removal of provoking factors, independent stabilization of the vaginal microflora is likely. In advanced cases, systemic antifungal drugs are effective, but the doctor must select them.
It is premature to draw any conclusions when characteristic white appears on the background of menstrual irregularities before going to the gynecologist. In most cases, thrush cannot be the cause of the delay, but the same causes often lead to the appearance of violations. Without their identification and elimination, recovery of health is impossible.
Cycle failure due to candidiasis
Thrush is the most common disease of the female external genital organs. It manifests itself due to stress, emotional and mental shocks, after prolonged treatment with antibiotics, etc. At an early stage, candidiasis cannot cause a delay in menstruation. First, the fungus affects only the external genitalia. The appendages function coherently.
If the signs of thrush are mild and there are no monthly signs, this indicates the presence of a more serious disease.
Gynecologists say that sometimes a fungal infection is quite aggressive. Running candidiasis affects the functioning of the ovaries. If thrush is not treated, it progresses. Gradually, the disease affects the internal genital organs. Candidiasis affects the ovaries, uterus and fallopian tubes. Egg production slows down or does not occur at all. In this case we are talking about the delay in thrush. As soon as candidiasis is cured, the functioning of the appendages will improve.
Severe thrush is dangerous to the body. This is directly related to the long absence of menstruation. Fungi of the genus Candida enter the uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries through the vagina. Extensive inflammation begins, as indicated by the following symptoms:
- pulling and cutting pains in the lower abdomen,
- deterioration of general well-being,
- fast fatiguability,
- increased body temperature
- high blood pressure.
The body spends strength to suppress the inflammatory process. The functioning of the reproductive system is impaired. Because of this, menstruation may be delayed. If the thrush occurs before the onset of menstruation, then the reason for the failure of the cycle lies most likely in it. To dispel doubts about this can only a gynecologist. If you find symptoms of candidiasis and the long absence of menstruation, you should immediately consult a doctor.
The absence of menstruation after treatment of thrush
Fungal infection of the genital organs can cause cycle disturbances. However, this applies only to the chronic or advanced form of the disease. In the early stages, pathology cannot be the cause of amenorrhea. If menstruation does not occur for a long time after the treatment of candidiasis, it is triggered by pharmaceutical preparations. Any drug has side effects and acts on the body of each woman individually. So that the cycle does not go astray, only a gynecologist will prescribe therapy after a comprehensive examination of the patient.
Antifungal drugs are prescribed to get rid of thrush. Adverse reactions are noted in the case when the doctor prescribes a potent agent. Together with pathogenic microorganisms, beneficial bacteria are destroyed. This leads to dysbacteriosis of the vagina and provokes a menstrual delay.
One of the potent drugs is Fluconazole. Previously, doctors prescribed only one pill - a small dose was enough for the thrush to go. Today, Candida fungi have adapted to the drug, so several Fluconazole tablets are required to eliminate candidiasis. A high concentration of the active substance sometimes provokes a long absence of menstruation.
Problems with the menstrual cycle may occur after applying alternative medicine methods. Folk treatment is not for everyone. The use of herbal tinctures for thrush can affect the date of the onset of menstruation. Prolonged absence of bleeding provokes the reception of decoctions from such plants as:
If you find a delay in menstruation with thrush, you should immediately contact your doctor. The gynecologist will find out the cause of the problems in the female reproductive system and, if necessary, change the therapeutic course. Cycle failures cannot be ignored. Even if candidiasis has passed, it is necessary to consult a doctor. Perhaps the reason for the lack of monthly bleeding lies in more serious pathologies.
Amenorrhea and concomitant candidiasis: what does it say?
Sometimes menstruation delay and thrush are two separate pathologies. However, the causes of both violations may be the same. Amenorrhea and candidiasis often occur due to acute respiratory viral infections or diabetes. This is due to a decrease in immunity. The body is in a state of stress. The functioning of the reproductive system is impaired. However, the vagina creates favorable conditions for the reproduction of fungi of the genus Candida, which cause thrush.
Menstruation should go regularly. This is the main indicator of women's health. Problems with the cycle and the simultaneous presence of thrush is a consequence of hormonal imbalance. The endocrine system suffers from uncontrolled hormonal drugs, oral contraceptives, cystatics and corticosteroids. Such pharmaceuticals are prescribed only by a doctor.
The onset of menstruation is confused with recurrent candidiasis. Often this is due to sexually transmitted infections. Chlamydia, ureaplasmosis, gonorrhea, syphilis can provoke the development of thrush and amenorrhea. Gynecologist without fail takes a swab from the vagina for laboratory examination. This is necessary to exclude sexually transmitted diseases.
The simultaneous presence of amenorrhea and candida provoke the following factors:
- early pregnancy
- excessive exercise.
Candidiasis and amenorrhea in women aged 45 to 55 years indicate the imminent onset of menopause. Sometimes the absence of menstruation and thrush are related to each other. In some cases, these disorders are separate pathologies.
Find out the exact cause of problems in the body can only a doctor. A gynecologist, an endocrinologist, an immunologist and other specialists are involved in the examination.
The development of thrush
In a healthy organism, conditionally pathogenic microbes, including Candida, peacefully exist without causing harm. The disease develops in the following conditions:
- weakening of immunity in inflammatory processes, stress,
- somatic diseases - diabetes, hypothyroidism, gastritis, colitis,
- hormonal imbalance.
The vaginal microflora contains lactobacilli - protective cells that produce lactic acid. In an acidic environment, the content of pathogens is negligible. When immunity is impaired, the number of lactobacilli rapidly decreases, the protective barrier weakens, and the growth of fungi is no longer holding back.
Acute candidiasis causes itching, burning, swelling, redness of the vagina, and a curd white discharge with a sour odor. Symptoms may periodically intensify and subside.
The diagnosis is established after taking and examining a vaginal and cervical smear.
Cycle disorder and thrush
Thrush has no direct effect on the delay of menstruation with rare exceptions. This is a local infection, but in some cases there is a close relationship between these conditions.
- Candidiasis and dysmenorrhea (violation of a cycle in which menstruation goes irregularly) may be due to the same reason - hormonal disturbances. At the onset of menopause, insufficient ovarian function due to their inflammation, with polycystic disease, the balance of sex hormones in the body is disturbed, leading to a delay in menstruation. In this case, a permanent change in the microflora of the vagina, a decrease in local immunity, and an increased susceptibility to infections are almost always observed. The likelihood of developing thrush rises. Here both pathologies are interconnected and accompany each other. The root cause of the development of dysmenorrhea can be nerve shocks, severe exhaustion with the observance of starvation diets, taking hormonal drugs.
- With the onset of pregnancy in the blood increases the level of progesterone hormone, the protective functions of the body weaken. This leads to the development of candidiasis. In the absence of menstruation, such symptoms inspire confidence that the delay was due to thrush. This causes great concern until the fact of pregnancy is established.
- Potent antibiotics used to treat thrush can also cause a delay, especially if it is a systemic effect that has a complex effect. In this case, you just need to wait until the end of therapy - the menstrual cycle is restored independently.
- Behind a commonplace thrush can hide many other infections, including sexually transmitted diseases: gonorrhea, trichomoniasis, genital herpes. During unprotected sex with an infected partner, the whole bunch of diseases is transmitted. In the absence of proper treatment or during self-treatment, they may well cause a delay, causing persistent inflammatory and adhesive processes in the internal genital organs.
- Candida has more than 150 species and is capable of producing resistance to antibiotics. In addition, the microbe synthesizes strong toxins that poison the body. A candidiasis that is not identified on time or has become chronic as a result of inadequate treatment can affect the uterus and appendages. In such a situation, due to thrush, it is possible not only to delay menstruation, but also serious inflammatory diseases of the reproductive organs, including infertility.
Features of treatment
In the absence of the expected menstruation for several days or more, and even more with the beginning of the discharge of a strange kind and other symptoms, it is necessary to consult a gynecologist. It is impossible to establish the diagnosis and prescribe treatment on your own - you can only identify the cause of the ailment by passing tests and waiting for the results of the examination. Experiments with the use of different drugs and their incorrect dosage will lead to the development of resistance (resistance) of microbes.
Especially carefully it is necessary to approach the selection of drugs for the treatment of thrush, which arose against the background of long-term antibiotics - very often in these cases, the developed dysbacteriosis prevents cure.
Additional “bombardment” of the body with drugs undermines the already weak immunity. There can be a vicious circle - the more intensive the treatment, the stronger the manifestation of thrush. In this case, it may be useful symptomatic treatment - the use of anti-inflammatory drugs and traditional methods. After giving the body some time to recover, it is necessary to conduct an analysis of the sensitivity of the fungi to the active substances and on its basis to select the most effective antifungal drug.
- When pregnancy is established, local antifungal drugs, such as ointments and suppositories, are prescribed for treatment; treatment with systemic antimycotics during this period is undesirable.
- Climacteric changes in the body is adjusted hormone replacement therapy, at the same time appointed an appropriate antifungal agent. Restoring the balance of hormones has a beneficial effect on the vaginal microflora.
- If menstruation is absent for more than 6 months, the ovaries and thyroid are examined, blood is examined for hormone levels. Depending on the causes of amenorrhea identified, adequate therapy is prescribed.
- When treating thrush and inflammatory diseases of the genital organs, it is not enough to rely only on the help of medicines. We'll have to adjust the food, excluding sugar and confectionery, yeast pastries, wine, beer, grapes. These products cause fermentation, support inflammation and provoke relapses not only of thrush, but also other infections. At the same time, more fermented milk products should be added to the ration: kefir, yogurt, yogurt - the lactobacilli contained in them will help to cope with the fungus.
- During the period of treatment, it is necessary to abandon the wearing of synthetic linen, carefully observe the hygiene of the genital organs - use special products with lactic acid for washing, and avoid syringing that leads to dysbacteriosis.
Having considered the problem, we can draw the following conclusion: the treatment of the female reproductive system is carried out comprehensively after making the correct diagnosis and requires not only the use of medications, but also lifestyle changes, adjusting nutrition, streamlining sexual relationships.
The impact of thrush on the monthly cycle
Women often complain to gynecologists with complaints that the beginning candidiasis is delaying the onset of menstruation.
The International Classification of Diseases ICD-10 has assigned the candidature B37 a cipher, and the candidiasis of the vulva or vagina - B37.3.
The fact that the cause of the delay is precisely the dysbiosis of the vagina is indicated by the following signs:
- burning and itching of the vulva,
- abundant vaginal discharge resembling cottage cheese,
- swelling of the vulva,
- pain during urine outflow,
- discomfort during sex,
- sour smell of discharge.
As a rule, all these symptoms may worsen at night or after bathing.
Candidiasis is not considered to be a sexually transmitted disease, but after sexual contact with a partner suffering from thrush, the probability of its occurrence increases significantly.
The main feature of genital candidiasis is that the fungus is the pathogen belongs to the conditionally pathogenic microorganisms. This means that in the normal state of the immune system, it is in the body in a depressed state. But if the defenses are reduced or some fungi that normally populate the epithelium of the genital organs, reduce their presence, then candida multiplies rapidly and causes the onset of the disease.
The most common causes of candidiasis are:
- antibiotic therapy
- taking cytotoxic drugs,
- hormonal contraception or hormone replacement therapy,
- chronic diseases
- obesity or overweight,
- ovarian dysfunction,
- dysbacteriosis of the gastrointestinal tract.
The possibility of starting the disease increases with hypothermia or poor hygiene of the genital organs, using synthetic underwear and scented daily pads.
Assessing the impact of thrush on delays and failures of the menstrual cycle, experts believe that this largely depends on the nature of the disease and on what episode the patient experienced: primary or repeated.
The delay in the first exacerbation of thrush
Candidiasis is a local infection that, when first seen, does not affect other organs in any way. And since the onset of menstruation is due to the production of certain hormones, then suddenly appeared thrush cannot be the cause of dysmenorrhea.
On the contrary, the factors that caused the delay are very important for the development of pathogenic fungi, therefore a sharp increase in the number of microbes is not a cause, but a consequence of the resulting disturbances in the body.
To provoke such failures can:
- endocrine disruption,
- severe stress or periods of emotional overload,
- physical overstrain
- tight diets and a limited diet
- pelvic inflammatory disease,
- acute hypovitaminosis.
In addition, hypothermia and severe overheating of the body, especially of the legs, feet and pelvis, can become a frequent cause of delay and dysbacteriosis.
Failure of menstruation in chronic candidiasis
With prolonged chronic course and absence of therapy, candida aggravates the pathogenic effect on the body. One should speak about such a course if relapses occur more often than 3-4 times a year.
Due to the constant development of fungal microflora, infection begins to rise along the urinary tract after some time. Pathogenic processes can spread to the inner epithelial layer of the uterus, ovaries or their appendages, causing severe inflammation.
Such an inflammatory process, in turn, can cause hormonal imbalances, and already such disruptions will cause thrush, as a secondary violation.Often, in chronic course, amenorrhea occurs, which adversely affects the function of the reproductive system and the general condition of the person.
Improvement and adjustment of the monthly cycle is observed already at the stage of treatment, and after complete healing, it is finally restored.
Systematic resumption of thrush before menstruation
Often there is a picture when a woman suffers from thrush at the same time every month shortly before the onset of critical days.
During and after ovulation, hormone levels change dramatically. Despite the fact that such processes are quite natural and physiological, they can dramatically reduce the protective mechanisms that protect the mucous membranes from pathogenic microflora. In addition, hormonal fluctuations dramatically change the acid indicator of the vaginal environment.
These factors contribute to the growth of harmful fungi, causing palpable discomfort, burning and itching of the vulva and vagina. After the level of hormones returns to normal, the irritation goes away by itself. But sometimes the process manages to become so aggravated that it takes on a chronic course. In any case, with periodic bursts of unpleasant symptoms, you should seek help from a gynecologist, who will give recommendations to help avoid dangerous consequences.
Candidiasis during menstruation
Critical days can not cause disease, but to accelerate the reproduction of the fungus that already exists in the body, their attack is quite capable for such reasons:
- The first day after the appearance of bloody discharge in the vagina, the most suitable medium for the development of mycotic organisms is formed (humidity, temperature and nutrient medium stimulate the growth and reproduction of Candy colonies).
- There are dramatic changes associated with hormones. The decline of progesterone and estrogen and a sharp increase in the concentration of prostaglandins can cause a pathological change in the vaginal microflora.
- The use of tampons, pads, special cosmetics to eliminate odor, frequent hygiene procedures can also change the acidity of the mucous membranes inside the vagina, and this leads to acute symptoms of candidiasis.
In addition, the body can be weakened by heavy bleeding and developing anemia, sometimes there is a response to the use of painkillers. During this period, other chronic diseases and inflammatory processes are often exacerbated. All these factors often serve as a trigger for the onset of thrush.
At the same time, the active development of the fungus can periodically increase the secretions, and sometimes temporarily stop and resume them.
Thrush after menstruation
A common cause of women's complaints is an exacerbation of candidal infection after the completion of menstruation. For the most part, such a pattern is observed in those representatives of the fair sex, in whom the discharge is particularly abundant and prolonged. Lactobacilli that prevent the growth of pathogenic microbes, are carried along with the current of secretions and do not have time to recover, as their potential is significantly inferior to the rate of reproduction of harmful fungi.
After an imbalance, microbes capture the vacated areas in the mucous genital organs. This type is characterized by a particularly rapid release of cheesy mass and sharp itching in the groin area.
Delay and development of candidiasis due to pregnancy
During the initial visit to the doctor with complaints of a delay in the development of thrush, any specialist first of all tries to find out whether such indications are caused by the occurrence of pregnancy.
Since pregnancy can be the result of not only unprotected sexual intercourse, but also sex using a variety of contraceptives, the first recommendation of a doctor will be to get a pregnancy test that can dispel doubts. Until this point is clarified, complex therapy is not prescribed, since some medications cannot be used in order not to cause harm to the developing baby.
Unfortunately, most expectant mothers face similar problems, since immunity decreases with the onset of pregnancy, and even those women who have never suffered from such disorders can have vaginal disbacteriosis.
For pregnant women, only a gynecologist should select the therapy for monitoring the state of the pregnant woman and the fetus. Sometimes everything can be limited to symptomatic measures, and in some cases complex treatment is necessary.
Thrush in the period of menopause
With the onset of menopause, hormonal imbalance and decreased ovarian function can cause candidiasis. The balance of hormones of the sexual sphere changes dramatically, which is reflected in the form of dysmenorrhea (delay and irregularities of the cycle). In this process, in 90% of cases, the beneficial intestinal microflora is inhibited, local immunity inevitably decreases and susceptibility to infections increases in inverse proportion.
At this stage, the risk of candidiasis increases several times. This probability is enhanced by stress, diets with a limited diet or taking hormonal drugs.
For these reasons, when treating patients over 45 with complaints of symptoms of a candidal infection, gynecologists do not forget about the relationship of this phenomenon with the possible approach of menopause.
Launch and leave the disease without attention should not be, because the disease quickly becomes chronic. In order to prescribe an effective treatment, it is necessary to consult a doctor, since it will not work out only with anti-mycotic drugs: with this approach a relapse will inevitably happen in a couple of months.
One of the main requirements for therapy is proper hygiene of the genitals.
Frequent use of soap for intimate hygiene is unacceptable, as it can dry out the delicate skin of the genital organs and cause changes in the bacterial background of the epithelium.
Also important is a special diet, implying a sufficient saturation of fermented milk products and a decrease in the consumption of sweets. For the period of therapy it is necessary to abandon synthetic panties and use only cotton underwear.
Drugs can be both systemic (tablets) and local (candles, ointments, gels). Some are used to reduce local symptoms (baths, douching), while others are designed to get rid of the infection (antimycotics). In addition, the therapy differs depending on the period of the cycle in which the symptoms appear.
In that case, if the woman knows the estimated time of onset of symptoms, then during this period, you can begin to use the pills to reduce the development of the disease to a minimum.
Antifungal drugs, such as Miconazole, Fluconazole, Nystatin, Diflucan, etc., are most often prescribed as tablet preparations.
The lack of systemic drugs is that they can cause side effects when passing through the body. In this case, it is worth using suppositories: Clotrimazole, Pimafucin, etc.
The duration of treatment is determined by the doctor depending on the chosen means and the clinical picture. In some cases, one tablet is enough, and sometimes a weekly course with the use of candles should be taken.
If thrush becomes the cause of delayed onset of menstruation, it is necessary to eliminate the main factors, such as endocrine diseases, gynecological inflammations, stresses.
In addition, the course can be supplemented with immunostimulants to strengthen the body's defenses.
If during treatment, menstruation began, then the course should not be interrupted, it is necessary to complete it so that the fungus does not develop resistance to the prescribed drugs.
Therapy of thrush during menstruation has its own specifics. Often the development of fungi increases the intensity of pain during this period, but the profusion and appearance of the discharge, as a rule, remain unchanged.
In this case, treatment with pills is preferable, since the use of intravaginal suppositories is difficult. If the tablets cause drastic side effects and the treatment cannot be postponed, then local remedies can be applied, adhering to such recommendations:
- It is best to inject them overnight, or at least half an hour after the injection,
- do not use tampons, but use only pads without flavoring,
- do not douching.
In addition to candles, creams, gels or ointments Livarol, Pimafucin, Clotrimazole, etc. are used as local remedies.
At this moment there are no restrictions on the means and methods of treatment: both oral and local medicines can be used. In addition, symptomatic agents that can relieve discomfort are used. As such measures, use soda baths, perfectly relieve itching and burning, rinsing with infusions of medicinal herbs (chamomile, hypericum, calendula).
Drug dosing with a weak solution of potassium permanganate or soda has an antimycotic effect, but they should not be carried out too often, since, on the contrary, deterioration can be provoked.
In any case, from the very beginning of treatment, all symptoms are quickly relieved, and at the end of the course the monthly cycle is restored.
Read more about thrush in this video.
The main reasons for the delay
Before proceeding to the main question regarding the presence or absence of a relationship between menstrual irregularities and candidiasis, namely, whether there may be delays due to thrush, it is necessary to find out what factors cause the delay of menstruation especially often.
First of all, it is necessary to mention the following reasons:
- The onset of pregnancy. In fairness, it should be noted that conception is not a mandatory factor in menstrual irregularities, in exceptional cases, menstruation may continue until the beginning of the third trimester. However, this is the main cause of failure of the female cycle.
- Acceptance of potent drugs. Particularly relevant in this case is the use of hormonal drugs and antibiotics. Taking them for even a short period of time can lead to hormonal disturbances.
- Physical exhaustion. Insomnia, prolonged mental activity on the background of the lack of a sufficient amount of sleep, hard physical work - each of these factors extremely negatively affects the activity of the female reproductive system.
- Psycho-emotional background disorders. Stress, depression, nervous experiences - each of these factors has a direct impact on the activity of the organism as a whole.
So, despite the fact that the delay of menstruation and thrush are interrelated concepts, a different kind of factors can also lead to a violation of the menstrual cycle. In order to identify the true cause of failures, it is necessary to find them and then exclude them.
General characteristics of candidiasis
So can thrush cause a delay in menstruation? In order to answer this question more fully, it is necessary to make out the specifics of this disease. In the practical field of gynecology, the household term "thrush" refers to a fungal infection caused by Candida bacteria. This type of microorganism is conditionally pathogenic, since in the depressed state bacteria are a natural element of human microflora.
Under favorable conditions, for example, against the background of weakening of immune forces, bacterial colonies actively proliferate, affecting mucous tissues and provoking the appearance of symptoms such as pain, itching, burning of the external and internal genital organs, and specific secretions. Antibacterial preparations are used to inhibit pathogenic microorganisms.
Against the background of the lack of timely treatment, the fungus quickly spreads, affecting the ovaries, uterus, and fallopian tubes, disrupting their activity, which often causes a delay in menstruation with thrush. Also, the cause of failures of the menstrual cycle can be inflammatory processes that develop against the background of advanced candidiasis.
Important! Delays in menstruation caused by thrush occur predominantly against the background of a neglected form of the disease. Such a condition requires immediate medical intervention, otherwise there is a high probability of serious complications.
Effect on the menstrual cycle
Often, such concepts as "thrush" and "delayed menstruation" are linked together, mistakenly believing that candidiasis is the direct cause of the failure of the menstrual cycle. Fungal lesions of the skin and mucous tissues do not directly affect the functioning of the organs of the reproductive system, however, the factors that provoked the active reproduction of pathogenic microflora, as well as the consequences of the disease, may well lead to a delay of menstruation with thrush.
Thus, the monthly may well be delayed with thrush. How to explain such contradictory statements? Spreading, fungal microorganisms affect the mucous tissues, cause the development of inflammatory processes, which, in turn, lead to disruption of the organs of the reproductive system and hormonal levels. It is because of these factors that there may be a delay in menstruation with thrush.
Directly thrush cannot be the main cause of delayed menstruation, however, causes that provoke, including activation of pathogenic microflora, can lead to cycle breakdowns. Among them:
- Violations of the hormonal background caused by existing diseases of the endocrine system or taking potent drugs.
- Decrease in the immune forces of the body.
- Infectious and viral diseases.
- Violation of the rules and diet.
- Bad habits, including alcohol drinking and smoking.
- Maintaining a sedentary lifestyle.
- The presence of overweight.
- Non-compliance with the rules and regulations of personal hygiene, including intimate.
So, thrush indirectly affects the period, and can lead to their delay. This is especially true if the disease is in its advanced form or against the background of existing complications.
Important! It is recommended to start the treatment of candidiasis against the background of the first characteristic symptoms, including itching, burning, discharge, having a specific structure and a strong odor. Prevent possible complications will only help taken in a timely manner.
Thrush can affect the monthly, but the inverse combination is also acceptable, that is, the influence of the menstrual cycle on the development of candidiasis. Menstrual flow is a favorable environment for the rapid growth of colonies of pathogenic microorganisms. Failure to comply with the norms and rules of personal hygiene of an intimate nature may well cause the appearance of pathology during the period of menstruation.
Women suffering from fungal lesions of the skin in a chronic form, often noted an exacerbation of the disease and the occurrence of characteristic symptoms during menstruation. In order to somewhat reduce the likelihood of another exacerbation of the disease, it is necessary to carefully observe hygiene, follow a balanced diet and abandon the use of potent drugs, if there is no urgent need.
However, you should know that if during thrush there is no menstruation for a long period of time, there is a possibility of severe damage to the organs of the reproductive system caused by inflammatory processes. If menstruation is absent for ten days or more, you must immediately complete a full examination and identify the causes of this condition.
Delay after treatment
What other reasons can there be a delay in menstruation from thrush? As an additional factor, it is necessary to name the antifungal therapy used to treat various candidiasis in various stages. As therapeutic measures in the early stages of the disease, predominantly local preparations are used, which have virtually no effect on the hormonal background and the functioning of the reproductive system of the woman.
However, to eliminate neglected and severe forms of candidiasis, it is necessary to use potent drugs that have a inhibitory effect not only on the pathogenic, but also on the natural component of the body's microflora, leading to various disruptions of individual organs and systems. Delay of menstruation with candidiasis may be due to just these factors.
For some reduction of the harmful effects of drugs, the treatment of candidiasis requires the cumulative use of agents and drugs that increase the immune forces, restore the body's activity. Кроме того, в период применения лекарственной терапии женщине рекомендуется соблюдать щадящий режим питания и уделять особенное внимание личной гигиене.
Профилактика и лечение кандидоза
So, the monthly with thrush go, candidiasis has only an indirect effect on the course of natural biological cycles, but short delays are quite possible. It should be remembered that regardless of the presence or absence of such violations of the menstrual cycle, treatment of thrush is a must, otherwise there is a high likelihood of complications and severe fungal lesions of the internal organs.
Combined therapy aimed at the elimination of candidiasis, based on the cumulative use of means for oral administration and for the provision of local action. The following types of antibacterial drugs are most commonly used:
An important point is the exclusion or detection and subsequent treatment of background diseases, the development of which could lead to the occurrence of fungal infections. Among these are called inflammatory processes, sexually transmitted diseases, gynecological diseases.
Also an important aspect is prevention, including during menstruation. Due to the fact that abundant vaginal discharge is a nourishing and favorable environment for the rapid growth of pathogenic microflora, a woman needs to pay particular attention to certain rules during the menstruation period:
- When conducting a medical course prescribed by a doctor, it is absolutely not recommended to deviate independently from the regimens and dosages of the prescribed drugs.
- It is important to promptly remove and replace with new hygiene products.
- Against the background of thrush, it is desirable to abandon the use of tampons, making a choice in favor of gaskets.
- It is necessary to make adjustments to the usual way of life and diet.
- It is important to abandon the use of harmful food and harmful habits.
- It is necessary to refuse wearing linen from any synthetic fabrics.
- It is undesirable to wear clothes, tightly fitting body.
- It is not recommended to visit the bath, sauna.
- Directly during menstruation, only creams, ointments, as well as preparations presented in tablet form should be used to treat thrush. Medications in the form of vaginal suppositories are not recommended because of their low effectiveness during the specified period.
To maintain immunity and eliminate unpleasant symptoms, it is possible to use the tools offered by traditional medicine. Regular douching with a solution of soda or decoction of chamomile will help to eliminate itching, burning and discomfort. And strengthen the body, and increase the immune barrier will help broth hips or hawthorn.
Thus, the monthly may not go with thrush, there is a possibility of delays, but the cause of these conditions is not so much candidiasis, as the associated pathology and disease. If signs of thrush are detected, a woman should promptly consult a doctor and undergo appropriate and adequate treatment, otherwise there is a high probability of acquiring a chronic disease or, even worse, the development of severe complications.
Causes of thrush
The appearance of this fungal disease may be due to a host of other causes, including:
- leading a woman of promiscuous sex life
- emotional and physical overload
- overwork resulting from a busy schedule
- increased production of progesterone and other hormones during the onset of the ovulatory cycle, throughout the entire gestation period, and especially during the first trimester of pregnancy, which forms a favorable acidic environment for the development of fungal growths,
- seasonal avitaminosis.
Mechanism of fungal infection candida type
Conception occurs in the interval of several days in the middle of the cycle, when male sperm cells have a high chance of fertilizing an egg cell moving towards them after ovulation.
If fertilization is successful, the woman can find out about this not earlier than in two weeks, the time of the onset of menstruation, subject to a regular cycle. The presence of menstruation suggests that conception did not take place in the previous ovulatory cycle, and the secretions themselves are the detached parts of the endometrium.
Indirect signs that confirm whether there can be a delay due to thrush are:
- breast sensitivity,
- mood swings and apathy, literally from the first days after conception, since the hormones produced rearrange the body under the process of labor and are characterized by mental suppression,
- aggravation of taste and smell,
- frequent urge to nausea and vomiting.
In order to find out whether there may be a delay due to thrush, it is necessary to consider the mechanism of occurrence of fungal infections of the vagina. Each of the causes of Candida’s disease is based on a decrease in the body’s immunity.
Further, thrush as a sign of pregnancy before a delay can be activated some time before ovulation, especially in women with a chronic nature of the development and course of candidiasis.
In general, in conditions of a weakened immune system of the body, thrush can manifest itself at different stages of pregnancy with varying degrees of intensity.
However, one should not confuse the discharge of a thick consistency unlike a curd, odorless and discomfort for a woman with manifestations of fungal lesions that have opposite symptoms.
The fact of the presence of thrush during ovulation and after it can reliably indicate only the changed conditions of the vaginal environment and cannot be used as an indicator of pregnancy.
It is possible that the active phase of the development of a fungal infection coincides with the conception period, in which case it cannot be said that the delay was due to thrush, because fertilization is the cause. However, thrush as a sign of pregnancy before a delay can be one of the signs of a successful conception.
Disruption of the body's defenses is one of the main causes of the development of a fungal infection.
Such a violation can be caused by congenital forms of the underdevelopment of the immune system (lymphocyte deficiency), and acquired diseases (HIV infection, cancer at stages 3–4 of the process, the extreme degree of decline in heart, liver, lung and kidney function).
These pathologies, in addition to the protective background, have a significant impact on all parts of the body, including hormonal regulation. Menstruation is directly dependent on the correct change in the level of sex hormones in a woman’s blood; if the mechanism suffers, there is a delay in menstruation. This can be found in patients in a serious and extremely serious condition against the background of the underlying disease.
Normal levels of sex hormones, corresponding to the phase of the menstrual cycle, are an important factor in the formation of the local element of antifungal protection. A sufficient amount of lubricant on the mucous membrane of the vagina and the labia minora depends on it. It provides optimal conditions for the vital activity of the normal microflora of the genital organs, which protects against the pathological growth of the fungal population.
Disruption of the menstrual cycle, associated with an excess and (or) insufficiency of one or several hormones, entails a change in the composition of the microflora, the death of some beneficial microorganisms and the occurrence of candidal inflammation.
Graph of fluctuations in the content of hormones in the blood during the menstrual cycle is normal
Pathology of metabolic processes
In this case we are talking about fat and carbohydrate metabolism, which affect each other. That is, an excess of blood sugar (diabetes or impaired glucose absorption) always causes excessive accumulation of fats in the body. This leads to a violation of the level of sex hormones and changes in the menstrual cycle, which manifests itself as a delayed menstruation.
A large amount of carbohydrates on the surface of the skin and mucous membranes, especially in combination with overweight - one of the main contributing factors for the development of thrush.
Combined genital infection
For a bright clinic of candidal infection with its abundant secretions, burning and itching it is easy to hide the manifestations of other sexual diseases (ureaplasmosis, chlamydia, trichomoniasis, syphilis and rarely gonorrhea). These pathologies are the first most common cause of pathology of the menstrual cycle. Also on their background, a fungal infection develops easily, which is associated with a violation of the normal microbiocenosis of the vagina.
Given the scant symptoms of other sexual diseases, a specialized medical diagnostic study is needed to identify these infections.
Chlamydia pathogens in the smear
Impact of drugs
The use of a number of drugs can cause not only thrush, but also delayed menstruation. These drugs include:
Adrenal cortex hormones, or glucocorticoids, which are used in the correction of many serious diseases, including chronic types of allergic reactions (bronchial asthma, etc.).
Chemotherapeutic agents for the treatment of cancer processes.
Hormonal agents suppress the normal function of immunological protection, contributing to the development of candidal lesions of the genital organs. They also affect the female sex hormones, which can cause a later onset of menstruation.
Drugs that are used in the treatment of cancer have a suppressive effect on all body functions, including defenses and hormonal regulation, which can manifest itself as urogenital candidiasis in combination with delayed menstruation.
Prednisolone - glucocorticoid drug series
Is a combination of thrush and cycle disorders dangerous?
If we consider this question in the context of the influence of pathologies on the development of each other, then there is no danger: candidiasis and menstruation delay are parallel processes unrelated to each other.
If we talk about the general harm of a delay for the body of a woman, then he, of course, is. The degree of danger depends on the cause, which caused the pathology.
- If thrush and a violation of the cyclical nature of menstruation are associated with immunodeficiency - these are extremely serious complications of the underlying disease, indicating a serious prognosis for the disease.
- Drug cause, as well as the presence of hormonal dysfunction and genital infections - factors that are temporary and (or) disposable, therefore, both pathological processes are easily compensated.
- With metabolic disorders, everything is somewhat more complicated - it is not always possible to completely cure the pathology, which means that thrush with monthly delays can recur.
In case of diabetes mellitus, there are frequent recurrences of candidiasis of various localization, which are difficult to treat. Click on the photo to enlarge
Thrush and delay: basic questions and answers
Can there be a delay in menstruation with thrush?
Yes, such a situation is possible, but it is not associated with a fungal infection, and therefore requires a separate approach to diagnosis and therapy. This problem can be solved only by a doctor.
Are there always changes in the date of arrival of menstruation, if they occurred against the background of thrush, related to the reasons given in the article?
No, factors affecting menstruation, as well as candidiasis, are significantly greater. They do not always have a common manifestation in the form of these two diseases.
Is it possible to cope with the problem independently, without referring to a gynecologist?
No, given the many reasons, some of which require additional research, at home it is not possible.
The combination of urogenital candidiasis and delay always speaks of a serious problem?
No, in some cases pathological processes have a reasonably innocuous and easily avoidable cause.
If you treat thrush, the menstrual cycle will return to normal independently?
No, because diseases have no connection between them.
When the delay is related to the onset of pregnancy, should candidal inflammation be treated?
Yes, of course, otherwise there is a risk of infection of the fetus, but it is necessary to choose safe medicines.
Causes of candidiasis
Before discussing whether the delay of menstruation can occur due to thrush, it is necessary to consider what causes contribute to the development of this pathology. Candida, called thrush in the common people, develops because of the activity of the fungus Candida. This disease is infectious and can affect any human organs. However, candidiasis most often occurs in the vagina. However, Candida mushrooms are present in the body and on the skin, both in women and men.
Why are women so afraid of thrush? And because this disease gives them a lot of trouble. Candidiasis develops not simply under the action of the fungus, which, along with lactic acid bacteria, is part of the healthy microflora, but under the action of increased activity of the fungus.
In the body of healthy women, the fungus is present, observing the "sleep mode". And in order for him to wake up, he needs to be provoked. The following factors are provoking factors:
- the presence of chronic infectious diseases
- the presence of chronic inflammatory diseases,
- violation of the endocrine glands,
- uncontrolled antibacterial drugs,
- long-term contraception with hormonal oral medications,
- not completely cured diseases that are sexually transmitted,
- the period of pregnancy and lactation,
All of these factors develop as a result of a decrease in the protective functions of the body that serve as a protective barrier.
Weakened cells of the immune system are not able to withstand adverse factors and fully perform their protective functions. This contributes to the release of pathogenic microorganisms from the "sleep mode". The fungus begins to actively develop, destroying lactobacilli.
Signs of candidiasis
Candidiasis has characteristic features that make it difficult to confuse with another infection. The following symptoms indicate the development of thrush:
- white vaginal discharge, the consistency of which is similar to cottage cheese or coagulated milk,
- itching and redness of the external genitalia,
- women experience unbearable itching and vagina,
- swelling of the vulva,
- pain in the process of coitus and urination.
And although these symptoms are almost 100% talking about the development of candidiasis, you should not make a diagnosis yourself, and, even more so, prescribe treatment. This should deal with the attending physician. If there are signs of thrush, and there is no menstruation, pregnancy may be the cause. Therefore, before starting treatment, it is necessary to undergo an examination. All drugs used to treat candidiasis contain antibiotics that can be dangerous in early pregnancy.
Causes of delayed menstruation
In order to understand whether the delay may be due to thrush, it is necessary to determine the factors that can interrupt the menstrual cycle.
If we exclude a possible pregnancy, menstruation may be absent for the following reasons:
- due to an imbalance of hormones,
- due to frequent stresses and violations of the general psychoemotional state of a woman,
- lack of menstruation may be due to excessive physical exertion,
- due to impaired metabolic processes in the body,
- due to thyroid or ovarian dysfunction.
However, the factors provoking the violation of the menstrual cycle, much more.
Is there a relationship between thrush and menstruation?
Now, having understood the reasons that become a consequence of the delay of menstruation and the development of thrush, we can proceed to the question of whether there can be a delay of menstruation with thrush.
Indeed, with thrush, menstruation may be delayed. However, the reason for this is not the candidiasis itself, but the reasons for it. If you pay attention to what factors provoke the development of thrush and delayed menstruation, you can notice their identity. Candidiasis itself is in no way capable of affecting ovarian function, and therefore cannot delay menstruation.
Symptoms of thrush can indicate various malfunctions in the functions of the internal organs, which leads to the destruction of the protective barrier that prevents the activity of Candida fungi. Delay of menstruation with or without thrush is also a consequence of problems in the body. Moreover, the delay can provoke a banal cold or hypothermia.
The duration of systemic treatment of candidiasis is no more than two weeks. However, many women, overjoyed by the positive results, stop taking the medicines prescribed by the doctor. Meanwhile, the treatment of this disease involves the use of not only antibiotics, but also drugs that strengthen the immune system.
Violation of the regime prescribed by the course of treatment leads to the fact that Candida mushrooms temporarily subside, so that at the first opportunity, again show aggression. То есть заболевание принимает хроническую форму, при которой периоды ремиссий часто сменяются периодами обострений.And in this case, the probability is high again to encounter menstrual disorders.
Treatment and prevention of candidiasis
Pregnancy is one of the main causes of fungal infection. During this period, hormonal changes occur in the woman’s body. There is an active production of estrogen, contributing to the change of microflora in the vagina. The body of a woman by all means seeks to provide optimal conditions for carrying a baby. The immune system is under stress, and therefore unable to withstand the pressure of the fungus.
That is why if you detect signs of disease, you should immediately consult a gynecologist and be examined. Based on its results, the doctor will prescribe a treatment that will allow the pathogenic microorganisms to be defeated as soon as possible and without health consequences.
Relieve the condition and relieve itching will help washing the external genital organs using the following tools:
- baking soda solution,
- chamomile decoction
- sage broth.
Baking soda helps to reduce the acid-base balance, the violation of which leads to the development of fungus. Instead of baking soda, you can use furatsilin, dissolving tablets in warm water.
During the treatment of thrush it is necessary to observe the following rules:
- refrain from sexual intercourse,
- follow a diet, eliminating from the diet of fatty, salty, spicy and spicy dishes that provoke the activity of the fungus,
- treatment should be shared with a partner.
Preventing the development of a fungal infection is as follows:
- you must follow the rules of personal hygiene,
- should abandon the rash use of perfumes and cosmetics,
- strengthen the immune system
- in the absence of a regular partner to use a condom,
- wear cotton underwear,
- annual gynecological examination.
Compliance with the above recommendations will avoid the development of thrush and forget about irregular menstruation.