There is an opinion that menstruation can go even during pregnancy. Stories among the people about how an unsuspecting woman goes to see a doctor with suspected stomach disease, learns about her situation, can be heard often.
Are there any periods during pregnancy
Monthly during pregnancy, rather, an exception to the rule, rather than the norm. Doctors claim that any bleeding from the vagina, after the diagnosis of pregnancy, are not monthly and can serve as a threat of breakdown.
In the earliest terms, it is difficult for a woman to determine her monthly or bleeding. It is complicated by those who have irregular, scanty or abundant critical days with different durations of duration.
With a standard cycle of 28 days, ovulation comes in at 13-15 days, but it is wrong to rely only on these facts. Other factors can affect ovulation, such as:
- body weight fluctuations
- regularity of sex life
- viral diseases.
Under the influence of these and other factors, ovulation can take place at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of the cycle; therefore, it is sometimes difficult for a woman to distinguish the onset of menstruation from bleeding during pregnancy.
The reasons for the appearance of menstruation in the early stages
There are cases where periods appear in early pregnancy and do not pose a threat to the health of the expectant mother and child. But when monthly during pregnancy are dangerous? Let's examine carefully all possible causes.
- Late ovulation. In some cases, ovulation can take place on the 21-25 day of the cycle, then the egg is not implanted in the uterine lining and the endometrium begins to be rejected. Despite the fact that conception happened, and hormonal changes began, it is rather difficult for a woman to determine the fact of pregnancy,
- With early ovulation there is a risk of getting pregnant and waiting for menstruation. With unprotected sexual intercourse in the last days of menstruation, you can conceive a child, and the duration of discharge should be written off to menstruation,
- Ectopic pregnancy. Ectopic pregnancy is very dangerous for its consequences. It may appear due to the fact that the egg for some reason can not attach to the uterus and is attached to the tube. At the time of rupture, bleeding appears, which is also easily confused with menstruation. It appears with a pulling pain in the lower abdomen, it is felt that menstruation should go,
- In some cases, ovulation can take place several times. The reason for this may be the interruption of oral contraceptive use. At this time, unprotected sex acts are more likely to conceive, while menstruation can go, but differ from the usual,
- Features of the structure. There are women who have an abnormal development of the genitals. With a bicuspid septum, fetal development and menstruation can occur in the uterus. In this case, it is difficult to determine the pregnancy of a woman who does not notice any changes in the body, and only pays attention to the monthly ones, which can go several months on schedule,
- Bloody issues. If the embryo does not immediately enter the uterine cavity, and the entrance to the endometrium occurs on days 14-21, then during this period menstruation may appear. They may differ slightly in color and intensity, but it is difficult to determine the bleeding in them,
- Frozen fetus. In the very early stages of pregnancy, fetal death may occur, the reasons may be very different. The result is bloody discharge, which is easily confused with menstruation,
- The threat of disruption. The most common cause of bloody discharge during pregnancy. If you feel aching and nagging pain in the lower abdomen, and then there is a brown or red discharge, scarce or abundant, this indicates the threat of abortion. In such cases, you should consult a doctor, especially if there is a confirmed diagnosis of pregnancy,
- Low and central placentation may cause bleeding to begin for no apparent reason. Chorion is implanted in the wrong place, it leads to pathology, as a result of which there is spotting, which can be taken as menstruation,
- In some cases, bleeding occurs when there are serious deviations in the development of the embryo. In this way, the body itself pushes out a not quite healthy embryo,
- Sex and mechanical damage. Frequent sexual intercourse associated with unusual postures, rudeness and intensity can damage the cervix and cause bleeding. There are nagging pains, and bloody discharge sometimes discharge is strong and have similarities with menstruation.
If the fact of pregnancy is confirmed, and the bleeding occurs, it is worth to consult a doctor and undergo a series of examinations, because such phenomena may be a consequence of the threat to the healthy development of the embryo.
HCG during pregnancy: normal
and how to identify a health threat can be found in our publication.
Why Utrozhestan is prescribed during pregnancy - read in this article.
From here you will find out which day after the month you can get pregnant.
How to distinguish regular menstruation from bleeding during pregnancy
So, monthly during pregnancy - how to distinguish from the usual? It happens that a woman does not pay attention to possible changes in her body, connects them with fatigue, stress or other causes.
Waiting for menstruation at the appropriate time leads to their appearance and the woman can not guess that she is pregnant. If the pregnancy is confirmed, and monthly go, it is worth to be safe and to exclude the possibility of bleeding leading to failure.
Pregnancy is, if this is indicated by two strips in the test. Even when the second strip is slightly visible, it should be considered that conception has come.
The hCG level is high. Such an analysis also indicates the occurrence of pregnancy.
The basal temperature does not fall below 37 degrees. If there is a delay of menstruation, and the temperature is 37, it is worth suspecting that there is a pregnancy.
Nausea, vomiting and pain in the lower back and lower abdomen, can talk about pregnancy.
At the very beginning of conception, women confuse changes in their bodies and deterioration of well-being with the appearance of menstruation. Many feel nausea increase in mammary glands, irritability, drowsiness, waiting for menstruation.
It should be assumed that pregnancy has come, despite the appearance of menstruation, if:
- There were scant brownish discharge,
- For this girl, the appearance of menstruation is considered strange. They can be abundant or, on the contrary, scanty, painful or sudden,
- Monthly began after the estimated number of monthly.
Do not panic and make the most diagnosis. If there is a pregnancy, it should be understood that the period should not go and should take some kind of action. It is necessary to find out the cause of the bleeding.
Perhaps, on the eve there was sexual intercourse, which was distinguished by stormy manifestations. If you led a quiet lifestyle, and monthly go, it may make sense to do a pelvic ultrasound, which will appoint a gynecologist.
Modern medicine and a quick reaction to this kind of phenomenon will help prevent the possibility of miscarriage and other threats to the mother and the unborn baby. The main thing is not to turn to traditional medicine and not to listen to all sorts of advice, because only your doctor can give a full assessment and make the correct diagnosis.
Additional information about the difference between menstruation and bleeding is in the following video.
Description of the processes in the female body
It is believed that the menstrual cycle should be strictly 26-28 days, but this is not entirely correct. Also, the menstrual cycle can vary throughout a woman’s life. Some women experience changes after childbirth. Knowing the duration of your cycle is very important. This will help determine the days of ovulation and any violations in the reproductive system. The presence of bleeding in the middle of the cycle may indicate both hormonal disorders and serious pathologies.
Since adolescence, it is very important to teach girls to keep a diary in which they should mark the beginning and end of menstruation. In the event of abdominal pain, endocrine disorders, the appearance of unusual secretions, the specialists always specify how the months go by, how many days and how long the cycle lasts. Such information helps to establish the diagnosis and prescribe if necessary treatment. In addition, the pace of life of a modern woman often leads to stress, fatigue, which often causes menstrual disorders and functional bleeding.
Under the menstruation refers to the part of the menstrual cycle, these are special days or regulations. Monthly in the body of a woman an egg matures, which is ready for fertilization. If this does not happen, the egg is rejected and together with the mucous membrane of the uterus and comes out in the form of blood discharge. This process is absolutely normal. If a woman or girl is physically and emotionally healthy, then the menstrual cycle can be stable over a long period. However, it can vary from 21 to 35 days. Keep in mind that the menstrual cycle and menstruation are not the same thing.
Under the menstrual cycle refers to the time interval from the first day of menstruation to the first day of the next menstruation. This gap is individual for each woman and is embedded in the concept of “norm”. And menstruation is a period of time, which is an average of 3-7 days, when blood flow comes directly. Normally, the amount of excreted blood should not exceed 50-200 ml. The color of the discharge on the first day may be brown, after which 3-4 days the blood is dark. Menstruation ends with a slow reduction in menstrual flow.
This is a general description of the processes that occur in a woman’s body. Given the individuality of women, menstruation may be delayed or go ahead of time. Do not panic, as small deviations from the norm are from fatigue, stress, physical exertion, dieting, taking hormones, travel or flights.
Disorders in adolescent girls
Starting from 8 years old, the girl's body is preparing for the appearance of menstruation. The first signs of puberty are:
- swelling of the mammary glands,
- the appearance of hair under the arms and in the genital area,
- excessive sweating
- clear vaginal discharge.
These signs appear 1.5-3 years before the first menstrual period. The first menstruation begins at 11-14 years. And here it is important to learn how to distinguish menstruation from bleeding. In girls, the menstrual cycle has not yet formed, so the bleeding can be very scarce or abundant. You can distinguish bleeding from menstruation in a girl by the following features:
- the beginning of the discharge does not correspond to the cycle,
- the highlights are bright scarlet,
- blood goes very hard, sometimes with big clots,
- the gasket is filled in 1-1.5 hours,
- the teenager feels weakness, lethargy, apathy,
- there is an increase in temperature
- pallor of the skin appears,
- discharge is accompanied by abdominal and lower back pain, nausea and vomiting,
- the girl is experiencing chills, fever.
With such signs, you must consult a doctor. The described symptoms can be a sign of gynecological diseases, the formation of benign or malignant tumors, the presence of ovarian cysts and other pathologies. Excessive bleeding leads to anemia, which is difficult to treat. You should not try to stop the bleeding from a teenager yourself. Some parents try to treat the child with folk methods, making decoctions based on hemostatic herbs. Indeed, it is possible to stop the blood for a while, but this will not eliminate the cause of the bleeding.
With very heavy bleeding, first aid should be given before the ambulance team arrives. Lay the girl on the bed and provide complete rest. Apply cold to the stomach. To relieve pain, you can take No-shpu or analgesic. When chills and fever during bleeding should not warmly wrap the child, although he may ask about it. Bleeding or menstruation that is very abundant can be frightening, so try to calm the teenager. Excitement, fear, anxiety can intensify bleeding.
Bleeding during pregnancy
In pregnant women without pathologies, menstruation should be absent throughout the entire period before delivery. This is due to the physiological processes in which the ovaries stop producing eggs. With conception, hormonal changes occur in the body. The production of certain hormones decreases and others increase. This helps a woman to bear fruit and avoid miscarriage. Progesterone during pregnancy strengthens the endometrium of the uterus, which is usually rejected, if there is no fertilization.
However, in the early stages, discharge may appear, similar to menstruation or bleeding. This is not the norm, but does not always indicate a threatened miscarriage. This may be a manifestation of some individual characteristics of the female body. But a woman should not ignore the appearance of such discharge in early pregnancy. The causes of bleeding during this period can be:
- risk of miscarriage,
- ectopic pregnancy,
- the presence of a tumor in the uterus,
- embryo death.
Blood discharge can cause intense sexual intercourse. Only a doctor can distinguish menstruation from bleeding during pregnancy. Therefore, in such a situation, it is necessary to take a woman to the hospital than try to fix the problem yourself. Although the monthly during pregnancy should not appear, but the exception are the following situations:
- hormonal disbalance,
- implantation of the ovum,
- the onset of pregnancy just before the month,
- fertilization of one of two ova.
Brown discharge, reminiscent of menstruation, may appear if a woman has a deficiency of progesterone or an excess of male hormones - androgens. This phenomenon is not dangerous and is eliminated with the help of medicines. A certain hormonal drug is selected that should be taken without interruption. But if the discharge does not stop a whole month after the start of taking the pills, notify your doctor.
During the implantation of the ovum, the process is about 14 days. The body does not have time to rebuild during this time, and the monthly follow the usual pattern. Sometimes a woman may not be aware of the occurrence of pregnancy until the next menstruation, which, as a rule, no longer occurs.
Help with bleeding in pregnant women
Monthly during pregnancy can go only in the first month. If the bleeding persists for a long period, then this may be a sign of a threatened miscarriage. How to distinguish bleeding from menstruation during gestation? A number of symptoms will help:
- menstruations go early in pregnancy as usual
- bleeding is accompanied by profusion of discharge,
- color of menstruation does not change
- when bleeding the blood is scarlet,
- with monthly gasket should be changed every 4-6 hours,
- bleeding requires a pad change every hour
- menstruation is accompanied by moderate abdominal pain,
- with bleeding there are strong pain, chills, weakness.
If a woman does not provide timely assistance, large blood loss with complications can occur. Sometimes doctors have to save the mother, sacrificing the life of the baby. Therefore, experts strongly recommend pregnant women not to try to take hemostatic and painkillers on their own. Sometimes heavy periods can be mistaken for bleeding, but only a specialist can figure out what's what.
It can provoke bleeding during pregnancy.
- heavy physical exertion
- weight lifting
- stress and overwork
- long moving
- overheating in the sun
- drinking a lot of alcohol, smoking,
- use of certain drugs.
If the discharge appeared after the described situations, then it is not menstrual, but bleeding that needs to be stopped as soon as possible.
Another important period in the life of women comes when there is a decline in the functions of the reproductive system. In women, this period is called menopause. This means that menstruation can go irregularly or stop completely. Menopause usually occurs in 50 years. During this period, most women suffer from hot flashes, pressure surges, heart palpitations, excessive sweating, depression, increased appetite, and headaches. Therefore, in 1950, hormonal preparations were invented, which partially or completely eliminate such manifestations.
Climax is divided into three phases:
Premenopause is the length of time when menstruation is rare, but appears. With menopause last menstruation occurs. Postmenopause is a period of time from the last menstruation. In all three phases, discharge may appear, which may resemble both menstruation and bleeding.How to identify violations in menopause, the doctor will tell, but the woman should be hospitalized with:
- very heavy discharge with blood clots,
- the appearance of unnatural redness on the face
- high or low blood pressure
- severe pain in the appendages.
Bleeding with menopause can be triggered by:
- hormonal changes
- the presence of tumors, cysts, polyps,
- taking hormonal drugs
- polycystic ovaries,
- endometrial hyperplasia,
- endocrine diseases
- thyroid diseases.
Sometimes no treatment is required, as the discharge stops on its own. But in most cases, drugs are prescribed to eliminate the cause of bleeding. Surgical treatment of menopause is indicated when tumors need to be removed as a matter of urgency. For malignant tumors, it is not only the uterus that is removed, but the ovaries and fallopian tubes. Sometimes bleeding may begin after surgery. This is an alarming symptom, and a woman needs to be delivered to a health facility.
Special instructions for women
Although it may seem that the life of a woman is a continuous series of changes and sufferings, but this is not quite so. Modern medicine helps women survive all the stages less painful. To avoid various diseases, it is necessary to undergo regular check-ups at a gynecologist. Early treatment of gynecological diseases helps to reduce the risk of bleeding during adolescence, during pregnancy and menopause.
What are the periods during pregnancy?
In adolescence, every girl begins puberty, which is accompanied by the presence of menstruation. Every 20 to 30 days the female body prepares for conception, in the absence of a male cell, the female egg is destroyed and rejected, which leads to bleeding. But when a follicle moving to the genital organs meets a sperm cell on the way, fertilization occurs and the embryo develops.
After fertilization of the egg, the female body begins to increase the production of estrogen, progesterone and prolactin, which are responsible for keeping the baby inside the womb. Therefore, during the period of gestation, there is no menstruation, the uterus no longer rejects an empty egg, the baby was conceived, and the question of how menstruation looks during pregnancy is not entirely correct.
In the early stages it is possible to confuse a cycle that has begun with an open bleeding. It is not easy to distinguish menstruation from pregnancy, they are often similar to each other, but there are some differences:
- scanty discharge, with less blood,
- the duration is reduced,
- the color is significantly different
- there is a large amount of mucus in the blood.
Causes of blood loss
In the early days, when a woman still does not know about it, some blood discharge from the vagina, which is similar to menstruation until a delay, can be observed. Symptoms and feelings of bleeding will be little different from menstruation.
To understand the difference, you need to understand the reasons:
- ectopic pregnancy, a pathological process in which the ovum is fastened outside the uterus, which causes significant blood loss and complications, up to surgical intervention and removal of the reproductive organs,
- infectious processes of the genital organs cause the occurrence of blood, while the smear will be significantly different from normal,
- insufficient hormone production can lead to miscarriage when the embryo is rejected, bleeding begins,
- congenital malformations of the uterus (duplicity, doubling),
- injured cervix,
- the death of the embryo inside the womb causes increased blood loss, and this will require skilled medical care.
How to distinguish menstruation from bleeding during pregnancy?
It happens that as a result of a non-regular cycle, due to stress, fatigue or carelessness, the girl is unable to distinguish the onset of menstruation from bleeding. In such cases, it is necessary to focus on qualitative and quantitative indicators, as well as on the accompanying signs.
In the period of carrying a baby, the menstrual cycle is interrupted. A reduced level of progesterone plays an important role in the process of pathology formation, which leads to interruption in the early stages and pain syndrome, which is similar to contractions in the lower abdomen. If the beginning was imperceptible, then in the future, without proper treatment, severe bleeding will open.
Some girls may experience the so-called “ablution of the fetus” in the first months to 12 weeks. At the same time, experts pay attention to the general well-being of the patient, the presence of nausea or dizziness. If such signs are absent, and the discharge is insignificant, then the situation will not be considered a pathology, but is regarded as the norm.
In most cases, the manifestation of blood from the vagina, when the fact of pregnancy has already been confirmed, indicates the development of pathology and requires immediate consultation with a doctor with diagnostic measures.
With prolonged menstruation, which is uncharacteristic for a woman, you should contact the specialists, where you can carry out appropriate tests and examinations to diagnose the cause of bleeding and distinguish them from the usual cycle. Ultrasound, as well as various blood and urine tests for hormones will help diagnose heavy menstruation.
At home, you can determine and explain the appearance of blood using a test or calculate the calendar method of ovulation day, which will help eliminate possible fertilization.
Any uncharacteristic discharge from the vagina of red or brown color, with painful sensations or with an unpleasant odor during gestation of the fetus is not considered normal, during this pathological process there is a threat to the life of the child and the mother, emergency medical consultation is necessary.
When menstrual flow is considered normal
Menstruation, regulation or menstruation is a natural part of the classical menstrual cycle. In its framework, at the end of the physiological process, the functional layer of the endometrium is rejected from the uterine mucosa.
The composition of the menstrual blood is mucous secretion of the glands of the uterus and vagina, the individual elements of endometrial tissue. The average amount of a substance normally ranges from 50 to 100 milliliters. It should also be borne in mind that menstrual blood has a reddish brown hue, quite similar to the venous analogue.
The average duration of one monthly menstrual cycle ranges from 25 to 30 days. In this case, menstrual bleeding directly lasts from 3 to 6 days.
If there are more than 100 milliliters allocated during the period, but less than 250, the bulk of them goes out during the first 3 days, after which the volume rapidly decreases, secondary pathological symptoms do not form in parallel, the process can be considered a variation of the norm. In other situations, additional consultation with a gynecologist is required.
Differences of menstruation from uterine bleeding
The main difference between uterine bleeding from regular menstruation is the type of process that occurs. In the first case, it carries a pathological nature, in the second it is a physiological manifestation.
It should be understood that only a specific specialist can guarantee that a specific type of discharge can be determined, including on the basis of instrumental and laboratory diagnostic methods. External differences:
- The amount of discharge. To determine uterine bleeding from heavy periods can be on the amount of bleeding from the vagina. The upper and lower bounds of norms in the physiological process are values from 50 to 200 milliliters,
- The regularity of the process. Uterine bleeding differs from menstruation in that bleeding can develop on any day of the cycle and does not coincide with the regular date of the onset of menstruation,
- Appearance. It is possible to distinguish copious periods from bleeding by appearance. Pathological bleeding most often scarlet or bright red, have a sufficiently large number of clots of clotted blood, they do not contain particles of the endometrium and other components characteristic of regular periods,
- Total duration Also the duration of menstruation will help to distinguish uterine bleeding or menstruation. The normal period is menstruation ranging from 3 to 7 days. Exceeding this time interval may indicate bleeding,
- Secondary symptoms. Quite often, the pathological process is accompanied by secondary symptoms of the type of pain, a sharp change in the basic parameters of pressure, temperature and other manifestations that are not characteristic of the usual physiological process.
How to distinguish menstruation from bleeding during pregnancy? Physiological possible, bleeding during pregnancy can only be in the first month of the onset and is diagnosed on average in 10 percent of all the fair sex.
In all other situations, discharge usually indicates the presence of direct pathologies associated with both direct bearing of the fetus, and with secondary diseases, syndromes, negative conditions that require immediate qualified gynecological care.
How to distinguish bleeding from menstruation after childbirth? Bleeding directly after childbirth may be associated with a physiological circumstance or the development of pathologies. It should be understood that menstruation during pregnancy and immediately after it usually do not go, because the restoration of a full menstrual cycle occurs on average after 2 months.
Physiological conditions are caused after childbirth discharge, the so-called lohii - they begin to appear immediately after detoxification, and consist of blood, mucus, particles of uterine tissues. It should be noted that such structures are sterile for the first 2, maximum 3 days, after which serous exudate appears in them.
Climax in modern gynecological classification is an unpleasant painful manifestations, often associated with the onset or development of menopause. Within its framework, irregular bleeding can form in women. The overwhelming majority of reasons for this process are pathologies.
During menopause, it is rather difficult to put a clear line between pathological bleeding and menstrual periods, since already in premenopausal the regular menstrual cycle can be broken, and not only its timing, but also the basic parameters of secretion change.
You will learn about the causes and treatment of uterine bleeding during menopause from the article. Regardless of the circumstances, it is recommended to contact a gynecologist to undergo a comprehensive diagnosis of the problem.
Causes of bleeding from the uterus
There are a huge number of the most diverse causes that can cause the development of bleeding from the uterus. They can be divided into several fairly large groups. The most significant are extragenital and genital circumstances, as well as factors associated with the pathologies of pregnancy.
- Extragenital causes. These include various infectious systemic diseases, pathologies of the liver, cardiovascular system, and thyroid gland. In addition, they can be caused by hemophilia, hemorrhagic vasculitis, lack of a number of substances in the body, in particular vitamins C and K,
- Genital causes. This category includes infectious and inflammatory diseases of the genital organs, various injuries of the uterus and related organs, tumors and neoplasms, dyscirculatory disorders, including juvenile, reproductive and menopausal type,
- Pathology of pregnancy. In the early stages, typical problems are diseases of the ovum, abnormal pregnancy. In the later stages of gestation, the most significant ones are premature detachment of the placenta, abnormal presentation of the fetus, processes of local destruction of cervical tissue, and other obstetric causes. During labor, uterine bleeding causes can be mechanical injuries of the vagina and vulva, rupture of the uterus, restraint of the afterbirth, delayed elimination of lochia, injuries of the soft birth canal, and so on.
Treatment of the pathological process
With a confirmed diagnosis of bleeding from the uterus, treatment is organized in the hospital under the supervision of a qualified gynecologist and regular monitoring using laboratory and instrumental methods of research.
Before the arrival of physicians, it is necessary to provide the woman with all possible first-aid assistance:
- Moving a woman to a horizontal position with raising the lower limbs on a cushion or roller,
- Applying an ice pack to the lower abdomen for a period of not more than 10 minutes with a mandatory break for half an hour,
- The use of available fluid, especially in cases of severe blood loss, in small sips of 50-100 milliliters every 20-30 minutes.
Medical scheme of emergency treatment in the absence of proper medical inpatient care:
- Calcium gluconate. 6 receptions on one tablet,
- Diet Four doses per tablet 0, 25 grams of active ingredient,
- Vikasol. 3 receptions per day to 0.015 grams of the active substance,
- Vitamin C. 1 gram per day, divided into several doses,
- Aminocaproic acid. 5 times a day, 30 milliliters per approach,
- Tincture of water pepper. 100 ml 3 times a day.
After admission to the hospital in the framework of the provision of qualified medical care, the following actions are carried out:
- Conservative therapy. Acceptance of hormonal drugs (monophasic combined COC), the above mentioned emergency complex, Tranexam, as well as drugs that increase the tone of the uterus (Ergotal, Oxytocin),
- Surgical intervention. From curettage, endometrial ablation and cryodestruction to full traumatic surgery.
Victor Sistemov - 1Travmpunkt site expert
What secretions are considered normal
During the period of carrying a child out of the vagina, translucent mucus, daub, and implant bleeding may appear. But to confirm that this is a physiological discharge, and not pathological - only a gynecologist-obstetrician should. Fully flowing menstruation, as in the period before fertilization of the egg, from 5 weeks should not occur.
How to distinguish from implantation bleeding monthly during pregnancy? About a week after successful fertilization of the egg, the embryo invades the uterus. In the process of fixing, part of the endometrium vessels is destroyed, and implantation bleeding occurs. It is often confused with scant menstruation, because the discharge begins about 5 to 10 days before the start of the cycle. Smear or bleeding usually lasts from 2 hours to 2 - 3 days.
But implantation is also considered normal, in which a few drops of blood may be on the laundry in the morning. Creamy secretions that do not exceed 25 ml in volume are also likely. Mucus is reddish, brown or yellowish.
Causes of menstruation in the I – III trimester
Can there be monthly during pregnancy? Yes, before the 14th week, occasional discharge with blood is observed. Implant bleeding can be distinguished from the usual monthly independently. It is required to compare the time of its appearance with the schedule of the cycle, the beginning of ovulation, the volume of discharge, the result of the analysis of hCG.
The causes of menstruation in the early stages are as follows:
- multiple ovulation (unfertilized eggs come out with blood),
- conception coincided with the beginning of the cycle (the discharge goes only in the first month),
- embryo implantation
- the blastocyst did not have time to sink into the uterus and attach there, because it takes up to 14 days to go,
- hormonal imbalance (low progesterone, androgen surplus).
Although both menstruation and bleeding are not considered abnormal before the second trimester, a doctor should be notified of such cases in order to avoid embryo disruption or its abnormal development.
Pathological causes of menstruation (bleeding):
- blastocyst attached outside the uterus,
- failure of the implantation process, in which the chorion does not have the ability to firmly penetrate,
- violation of the placenta - detachment (abruption),
- self-sorting begins,
- embryo fading
- abnormal multiple pregnancy,
- gynecological diseases, including sexually transmitted infections,
- pathology of the uterus.
Идти месячные могут в случае аномального течения беременности как на ранних сроках, так и в любую неделю формирования плода.
What distinguishes menstruation from bleeding during pregnancy
In order to quickly determine that the conception was successful, it is recommended to replace the classic urine test with an hCG assay. The level of chorionic gonadotropin, a hormone that is produced by the chorion, begins to increase in the blood from 7 days after fertilization of the egg, exceeding the “1” indicator. In the urine, it appears later by 2–3 days. Often, tests simply do not respond to its level, so you have to spend them several days in a row, using tools from different manufacturers.
- bleeding coincides with the schedule of the menstrual cycle,
- positive hCG analysis,
- basal temperature remains the same as with ovulation,
- morning sickness
- gagging after eating,
- reducing the amount of discharge or their duration,
- breast sensitivity or leakage of several white drops similar to water, milk, from the nipples
- desire to sleep in the daytime
- no pain of any nature and / or worsening of general well-being.
Expectant mothers are advised to consult a gynecologist for medical advice in order to eliminate the risk of miscarriage. If the pregnancy was undesirable, for example, the contraceptive device did not work, the specialist still needs to be contacted. He examines the uterine cavity, and if the organ could not get rid of the remnants naturally, an instrumental cleaning will be necessary. The procedure will help to avoid infection of the endometrium and other membranes and protects against the possibility of infertility.
Symptoms of bleeding during pregnancy:
- there was pain in the uterus, vagina or ovaries,
- a woman needs anesthetics, hemostatic drugs,
- worsened general well-being,
- there are blood spots on the pad or underwear,
- the volume of discharge increases, sometimes the blood goes abundantly immediately.
With proper pregnancy, none of these symptoms. The menstrual cycle resumes in the postpartum period.
Reasons for contacting a antenatal clinic
Bleeding or menstruation during pregnancy in the early stages will differ little, but in both cases this may indicate a pathological process.
If the blastocyst is attached not in the uterine cavity, but in the fallopian tube, after 1 to 2 weeks, the woman begins to feel nagging pains with increasing force on the side where the implantation occurred. The embryo develops rapidly, stretching the passage to the ovary to the limit from the inside until it ruptures it.
At the same time, pregnancy outside the uterus may coincide with the menstrual phase of the cycle, therefore, menstruation occurs. With a burst pipe, their volume increases dramatically, and if medical aid is not provided in time, this often results in the mother’s death from blood loss.
Red discharge during pregnancy may indicate dysfunction of the placenta.
This temporary organ should provide the fetus with oxygen and nutritional support, and blood is a sign of detachment of the shell (abruption). Therefore, periods during pregnancy in the early stages are considered to be a symptom of miscarriage, because an embryo without a properly functioning placenta cannot survive.
Bleeding is due to fetal death. In the early stages it is difficult to determine, because the mother still does not feel the movement of the child. The embryo decomposing inside provokes inflammation in the uterus, accompanied by signs of intoxication: nausea, fever, and other symptoms. If a woman fails to clean the uterus in a timely manner, there is a threat of surgery to remove the organ.
Are monthly periods possible with multiple pregnancies? Gynecologists remind of diametrically different reasons for their occurrence. In the pathological case, this is considered bleeding during an abnormal development of the gestation process, when one fetus is successfully formed and the other freezes. Untimely medical aid can provoke infection of the uterus and a healthy embryo, causing the death of the latter. Possible outcomes of this condition: miscarriage, surgery to remove the reproductive organs.
During the "pregnant" period may go monthly with proper and pathological development of the fetus. Menstruation is or bleeding, the reasons for their occurrence - only a gynecologist has the opportunity to find out. Therefore, it is recommended to always contact the health care facility when red secretions appear in order to have time to save the child and the life of the mother.
What is menstruation
In every girl, the onset of puberty is accompanied by the appearance of menstruation. Menstruation is considered such bleeding from the female genital organs, which are associated with rejection of the uterus epithelium. Why is this happening?
With normal development female body prepares monthly for conceiving a child - so laid by nature.
The egg cell appears from the ovary and in anticipation of fertilization, it is sent closer to the uterus, while the organ is preparing to receive the egg cell with an already conceived fetus, its mucous membrane becomes softer and more friable.
But fertilization did not happen, the egg cell is destroyed, and the endometrium lining the uterus from the inside is rejected and goes out. Blood vessels in the place of detachment of the mucous membrane burst, blood appears.
The beginning of menstruation a woman regards as a sign that conception did not happen this month. Any girl gets used to such discharge and considers them a sign of health.
Can there be periods during pregnancy, how to distinguish them from normal and from bleeding, for what signs can it be ectopic pregnancy?
Have pregnant women, the reasons for the appearance in the early stages
The appearance of blood or discharge in the first month of pregnancy on days of suspected menstruation, happens quite often.
Experts do not regard this state as monthlybecause the attached fetus in the first trimester of pregnancy does not allow the uterus to tear away the endometrial layer.
Thus, we will not call incipient bleeding in a woman who has conceived menstruation.
In fact, blood from the genitals can come out for a number of reasons:
A sufficient level of progesterone helps the fetus to gain a foothold in the womb, prevents separation of the ovum from the walls, supports the inner layer - the endometrium - in such a state that it reliably holds the embryo.
Lack of progesterone can cause detachment of the ovum from the walls of the uterus, resulting in menstrual bleeding.
With such a pathology, a woman cannot endure a child.
For some reason, the fetal egg does not reach the uterus, but remains in the fallopian tube and is attached to it. The fetus develops and grows, the tube bursts, bleeding is going on - it is impossible to confuse it with the usual monthly during ectopic pregnancy. He is accompanied by severe pain, there may even be a loss of consciousness.
It occurs quite often in women during the attachment of the fetus.
Associated with the growth of the grid of vessels around the ovum.
These vessels are very small and fragile, when attaching the fetus, they can be injured, respectively woman notices a drop of blood on linen.
Such discharge during pregnancy on days of suspected menstruation is very scarce (the so-called daub) and not similar to the usual medulations. In any case, noticing blood on the underwear, pregnant women should immediately see a doctor.
Another hormonal problem that can cause bleeding, similar to menstruation - hyperandrogenism.
The increase in the number of androgens in the body of a pregnant woman just causes blood discharge, they are accompanied by lower abdominal pain and pulling back pain.
Medical method of abortion and its consequences! Everything about the modern method and how it differs from the surgical method, read on the pages of our site.
Find out in our material about the very first signs of a missed abortion, at what time can this pathology be identified?
What tests you need to pass before pregnancy and a few tips that women need to know for the birth of a healthy child can be found here: https://beautyladi.ru/analizy-pered-beremennostyu/.
Differences from bleeding
Every adult woman with a well-established cycle always knows how her menses pass and how abundant they are. Changes in the nature of the discharge should alert any female, especially if she plans to become pregnant.
Implant bleeding always begins in the first month of pregnancy, about a week later. after conception, and on dates it may coincide with the onset of the supposed monthly periods.
Typically, such discharge in pregnant women brown-brown or pinkish, they do not last long - from several hours to a couple of days.
To confuse them with monthly menstruation is quite difficult., there is never a lot of blood during implantation; it is not bright red and is not accompanied by clots.
The development of miscarriage in the short term is also accompanied by the appearance of blood discharge. In addition to blood to signal the beginning of a miscarriage can:
- the appearance of clots of dark brown color,
- lower back pain
- muscle cramps
- unpleasant smell emanating from blood discharge. In addition, it can be a symptom of infection of the uterus,
- large amounts of blood, in which the usual means of hygiene is not enough.
If a lady assumes that she is pregnant, and on the dates of the proposed menstruation she has blood coming out of the genitals, then there is nothing easier than to go to the doctor, undergo an ultrasound examination and make sure that these secretions are just monthly, and not a starting miscarriage.
In some cases, the child can be saved by properly prescribed medication.
Can there be monthly during pregnancy
It should be noted that periods during pregnancy, for a completely healthy female body, are impossible for physiological reasons, because during the period of the menstrual cycle, an unfertilized egg is detached and a new one is produced.
During pregnancy, intrauterine processes are carried out differently: the ovaries release progesterone, due to which the walls of the uterus stop contracting, and the fertilized egg remains inside. Over time, the endometrium is compacted, which creates favorable conditions for the fetus.
During pregnancy in the body of a woman there is an increased production of the hormone progesterone, which makes it impossible for menstruation during this period.
Progesterone also protects the embryo from an unwanted miscarriage, likely in the case of hormonal imbalance.
During pregnancy, the presence of discharge or bleeding, the nature and duration of which differ from the usual menstruation.
Rare version of the appearance of monthly experts say in women with two-horned uterus. In this case, while in one part the formation of the fetus takes place, the other continues to function at an acceptable monthly cycle for several months.
It is recommended that such a pregnancy take place under the supervision of a doctor.
Monthly during pregnancy in the early stages: causes
Monthly during pregnancy in the early stages can occur for different reasons, each of which requires a mandatory consultation with a doctor.
Some of them do not pose a serious danger to the health of the fetus and the expectant mother, but without due attention they can lead to the appearance of complications and a deterioration in the state of health in general.
Most often, the appearance of discharge is the reason that when immersed in the endometrium of a fertilized egg, vascular damage occurs - this entails the described symptom.
The presence of heavy discharge, especially during the second and third trimesters, may indicate the emergence of a number negative factors, which include:
- ectopic pregnancy
- uterine myoma or a violation of its structure,
- inflammations that occur in the genitals,
- in multiple pregnancies - the death of one of the embryos,
- significant deterioration of hormonal levels,
- the threat of miscarriage.
Abundant vaginal discharge in the first and second trimesters of pregnancy signaling problems of gestation and problems with the urogenital system of a woman
In addition, there are several common causes of false monthly at an early stage after successful conception.
The result of the implantation of a fertilized egg into the endometrial layer is implant bleeding, which often occurs a week after successful conception.
Depending on the individual characteristics, in the female body after ovulation, the blood vessels of the uterus walls are damaged, which leads to the appearance of small bleeding, lasting from a couple of hours to several days. Drops out for the period of the menstrual cycle.
This condition is not pathological and proceeds without pronounced symptoms; however, some features:
- decrease in acceptable temperature during the period of complete rest of the body,
- feeling of weak or pronounced heaviness in the lower abdomen, which is associated with uterine spasms during the implantation of the egg,
- scanty discharge with blood impurities of brown or pinkish color,
- general feeling of weakness, dizziness, drowsiness.
Implantation bleeding, among other symptoms, also indicates pain and a feeling of heaviness in the abdomen.
In the normal course of pregnancy, this phenomenon is absent altogether or is characterized by insignificant secretions. If the condition worsens significantly with a copious amount of blood, should visit a qualified technician as soon as possible.
Carrying a child directly depends on the stability of the hormonal background of the future mother. Monthly during pregnancy in the early stages often indicate a lack of progesterone in the female body, which can adversely affect the health of the fetus or cause miscarriage.
The cause of hormonal failure and bleeding is often an overabundance in the male hormone. The main sign of changes in hormonal levels - constant and sharp changes in mood.
It is necessary to register for an examination by a doctor., which will prescribe drugs that stabilize the amount of hormones, so that the development of the embryo will be adjusted. In addition to taking prescribed medications, it is important to avoid stressful situations, normalize rest, create a balanced diet, and select an individual vitamin complex.
It is important to remember - problems with hormonal background lead to miscarriages, premature birth and the development of various diseases.
In pregnant women in the period of childbirth, the thyroid gland increases in size, due to the increased production of hormones. After childbirth, the endocrine system is experiencing problems, so it is important to get examined by a qualified specialist and pass the necessary tests.
Damage to the vagina
In the period of carrying a child, after intimacy, blood discharge may occur - This indicates a violation of the integrity of the vessels of the vaginal surface. Often, blood is the result of damage to the cervix as a result of uncomfortable posture during intimacy or rough and abrupt entry.
If blood appears, it is recommended to use a pad to get an idea of the amount of discharge, since this information will be important for the physician who monitors the course of pregnancy.
With frequent recurrences of the described symptom, should be examined by a gynecologist and if there is a chance of miscarriage to stop sexual intimacy with her husbandso as not to harm the child.
Pregnant women often notice the appearance of blood some time after an examination by a gynecologist. This phenomenon, in addition to cases of long and strong discharge, does not pose a danger to the body of the pregnant woman and the embryo.
Two eggs in one cycle
Monthly during early pregnancy can be the result of the development of two eggs in one cycle. Often this happens after taking drugs that stimulate the ovulation process, or in women whose families have had multiple pregnancies.
Two eggs do not always come in contact with spermatozoa, with the result that one of them remains in the uterus and continues its further development, and the second is excreted, which leads to the appearance of menstruation.
The discharge is not abundant, however, it can occur with symptoms inherent in normal menstruation. Experts note that in most cases, this condition proceeds without any complications.
If several tests show pregnancy, periods are excluded.
Monthly during pregnancy: how to distinguish from normal (signs)
Distinguishing between normal menstruation and discharge during pregnancy alone is not always possible. Should highlight the main symptoms, indicating the presence of ovulation and the impossibility of menstruation:
- several tests indicate the presence of pregnancy in the early stages, which excludes the fact of menstruation,
- при непривычных выделениях уровень базальной температуры не опускается ниже 37 градусов,
- irritability occurs, there is a change in preferences in the usual diet, nausea and vomiting, mainly in the morning,
- pains in the lumbar region and lower abdomen, mainly pulling, are disturbed; each new painful attack is characterized by the appearance of blood discharge,
- breast enlargement, nipple pain.
Allocations have characteristic differences from the usual menstruation:
- they are distinguished by a small amount of predominant cream or brown tint; occasionally a scarlet-colored blood with clots appears,
- discharge occurs a little later than an acceptable cycle,
- the onset of menstruation is characterized by non-standard symptoms - lack of pain or unusual abundance, there is a change in the duration of critical days in a greater or lesser direction.
Strong blood discharge at any stage of pregnancy is a negative sign, indicating the need to consult a doctor.
Are menstruations dangerous in the first month of pregnancy?
The presence of menstruation during pregnancy indicates deviations in the body both in the early and later terms.
Depending on the individual characteristics, such a condition can be harmful to the embryo and the health of the expectant mother. The degree of danger directly depends on the abundance and frequency of discharge, as well as the accompanying symptoms.
If heavy monthly during pregnancy
Abundant bleeding is unacceptable during pregnancy and may indicate such deviations:
- embryo fading - the main reason lies in the development of genetic pathologies,
- ectopic pregnancy - accompanied by pain cramping character, the rest of the symptoms are similar to uterine conception,
- self-termination of pregnancy - characterized by abundant blood flow and pain in the lower back and lower abdomen,
- miscarriage - it can be complete and incomplete: in the first case, the embryo can exit completely without medical intervention, in the event of a partial exit, the fetus remains in the uterus (with untimely help and no complete cleansing, this often leads to severe bleeding and a general deterioration of the woman’s condition).
If there are abundant menstrual periods during early pregnancy, the signs and causes are different, but they may indicate, among other things, a miscarriage
If there are heavy discharge, it is important to go to the hospital as soon as possible, because timely medical intervention often helps to save the child and protect the pregnant from the development of pathologies.
If scanty menstruation and pregnancy
In the early stages of the presence of menstruation is the least dangerous for the female body. A small amount of blood in the first month of pregnancy may indicate an imbalance of hormones, the presence of polyps on the walls of the uterus, placental abruption, or other diseases.
The most common cause is progesterone deficiency or an excess of androgens. In this case, it is necessary to undergo an examination - after studying the obtained tests, the doctor will identify the exact cause of the problem, select the appropriate drugs to normalize the body.
Also, the appearance of blood may indicate the development of an embryo outside the uterus. The described condition is accompanied by severe pain and is dangerous to the health of the woman, therefore in the case of the appearance of the month should consult a gynecologist.
With constant monitoring and the absence of pronounced pain, discharge passes in a short time without harm to the pregnant woman and the child.
Do menstruation with ectopic pregnancy
Ectopic pregnancy is dangerous for the life of the fetus and the health of a woman. It is characterized by the development of the embryo not in the uterus, but in the fallopian tube. As the fetus grows, its walls are stretched, which often leads to rupture and bleeding, which requires immediate hospitalization.
In addition to the appearance of blood, it is necessary to highlight the main symptoms inherent in pregnancy outside the uterine lining:
- sharp pain in the side and lower abdomen, pulling pain in the lower back,
- weakness, nausea and vomiting,
- headache, palpitations, fever and fainting - often indicate the occurrence of internal bleeding.
If you suspect an ectopic pregnancy in the early stages and the appearance of menstruation, you need to do an ultrasound to see the location of the fetus. If the concerns are confirmed by analyzes, the specialist conducts an operation to remove the embryo.
In addition to losing a child, this condition can lead to some complications:
- the development of inflammatory processes
- severe internal bleeding
When untimely accessing a doctor, an ectopic pregnancy can be fatal.
How much can go monthly during pregnancy
In the early stages, namely in the first month after conception, the occurrence of menstruation during pregnancy is possible due to fertilization in the middle of the cycle. It takes up to 15 days for the uterus to reach the ovum, as a result of which the hormonal background of the body does not have time to undergo changes, and menstruation occurs in accordance with the schedule.
At the same time, experts note that during pregnancy, menstruation cannot go, but this process can take place in the form of the appearance of blood discharge.
Most often, this symptom is present in the first four months after conception and, with constant observation by the doctor, it proceeds without harm to the health of the woman and the fetus. If the reason for the appearance of blood is the embryo landing on the walls of the uterus, then discharge lasts no more than four days and is more scarce.
If there are monthly periods in early pregnancy, then they are very scarce and last no more than 4 days.
In later periods, the appearance of blood often indicates a violation of the gestation process, the occurrence of complications and possible internal bleeding.
What do monthly periods look like during pregnancy?
The type of menstruation during pregnancy directly depends on the reason for their appearance. During the first trimester period it is a scanty, smearing discharge of brown or dark red.
This condition is the cause of hormonal adjustment, the presence of several eggs or the individual characteristics of the structure of the uterus. Accompanied by minor painful sensations and often passes without ancillary drugs and doctor's intervention.
If bleeding of a bright scarlet nature appears, it should be examined by a gynecologist., because this symptom may indicate abortion and the occurrence of internal bleeding.
Monthly at the beginning of pregnancy: when to contact a gynecologist
In the case of monthly during pregnancy should consult a gynecologist for advice and delivery of the necessary tests. In the early stages, the condition in question rarely indicates a health hazard.
During pregnancy, when menstruation went, the condition of the woman worsened - nausea, vomiting and pain are present, an urgent need to see a doctor
However, it should be highlighted cases in which going to a doctor is necessary:
- the appearance of discharge is accompanied by the appearance of severe abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting,
- the blood has a scarlet hue and comes out in lumps or clots,
- bleeding has an unpleasant smell, the general condition of the body is significantly worsened, migraines, dizziness and fainting occur.
The described symptoms at the beginning of pregnancy may warn of miscarriage, internal bleeding, or ectopic pregnancy.
It is not recommended to try to stop bleeding by yourself. at home - this way you can cause irreparable harm to your own health and the body of the child.
It is important for pregnant women to maintain proper rest, stick to a balanced diet, which should include all the necessary vitamins, avoid any stress, and visit the doctor in a timely manner. Such behavior will help avoid complications and make a healthy baby.
Monthly during pregnancy in the early stages - signs and causes:
Signs of miscarriage in early pregnancy:
Signs of PMS
Each woman has her own very individual symptoms, warning of the imminent appearance of menstruation, or accompanying them. Among the most common are the following:
- sleep disturbances
- pain in the abdomen, chest, lower back,
- depressed mood.
However, similar manifestations are characteristic of the first weeks of pregnancy. Therefore, you should learn to understand your body and listen to all the changes occurring in it. For example, if the previous menstrual cycle was always accompanied by a migraine or abdominal pain in a woman, then during pregnancy these symptoms will not be disturbed.
It makes sense to observe temperature changes, which should vary between 36.6 - 36.9. During the period of ovulation, a slight increase occurs, after a short time the temperature returns to normal. If the temperature does not drop, but stays at 36.9 degrees, then perhaps this fact speaks of pregnancy.
The main differences
Every woman knows well how her menstruation period goes, how abundant and long-lasting they are. Any changes should alert the lady, especially if she is planning a pregnancy.
Bleeding during pregnancy usually occurs in the first month, a week after conception, and on dates it may coincide with the beginning of the expected menstruation.
For such secretions in pregnant women, brown-brown or pinkish color is characteristic. The duration of bleeding in this case can last from several hours to two days.
To confuse such discharge with monthly menstruation is very difficult. In the case of implant bleeding, bleeding is not a lot. They can not be bright red and do not contain clots.
About the presence of the threat of miscarriage, in addition to minor bleeding, the following symptoms may be reported:
- the presence of dark brown clots,
- the occurrence of lower back pain, muscle cramps,
- chills may occur,
- bleeding gives off an unpleasant smell
- copious bleeding, in which the usual amount of hygiene products can not do.
Having an idea of how to distinguish signs of pregnancy from signs of menstruation, it will be possible to take the necessary measures in a timely manner.
Pain and discharge during pregnancy
Monthly and pregnancy - the concept is completely mutually exclusive. In the early stages of pregnancy, a woman in a position may encounter insignificant secretions. In addition, the expectant mother may experience a feeling of slight discomfort in the lower abdomen and in the lumbar region, this is usually observed during menstruation. Changes in the body lead to nagging pain, which is considered the norm during the implantation of a fruit egg.
Pain and menstruation during pregnancy are a warning sign. Therefore, to know how to distinguish pain from pregnancy from menstruation is extremely important.
Such manifestations may indicate ectopic pregnancy. In this case, in no case should the doctor go to the postponement, in particular, if the accompanying symptoms are nausea, dizziness, heavy bleeding, sharp, cramping pains.
In the event of a threat of miscarriage, similar sensations may also arise. Pain of cramping character with recoil to lumbar region and slight bloody discharge.
The appearance of pain, accompanied by the presence of blood, may indicate a premature separation of the placenta. In this case, immediate medical assistance is necessary, as there is a threat to the life of both the baby and mommy herself.
Information about how to distinguish between menstruation and pregnancy, of course, you need to own. It is important to listen to your health, note any minor changes in your condition in order to promptly seek help and avoid serious consequences.