Delayed monthly - how much can it be? The answer to this question should be known to every woman who is monitoring her own reproductive health. The fact is that there is a certain rate of monthly delay with a regular and irregular cycle. It is necessary to calculate it in order not to disturb yourself with unnecessary experiences.
In order to determine independently a possible pregnancy or the danger of the development of dangerous gynecological ailments, it is necessary to determine how many days there can be a maximum monthly delay. Gynecologists voice the terms up to 10 days.
- A delay of 1-2 days is not dangerous. May occur due to a sharp change in atmospheric pressure, temperature extremes. No need to worry in this case.
- A three-day delay is also very rarely a symptom of the disease. It can occur if the patient has suffered severe stress, often gets tired at work, does not comply with the daily regimen, exhausts herself with intense sports training. Fluctuations of the menstrual cycle for several days should not cause much alarm.
- Monthly no for 5 days? It is worth thinking. If you recently have a cold or have had flu, you should not worry. For all other cases, a visit to the doctor is required.
- Weekly delay is the maximum time when cycle deviation can still be considered the norm. It may signal an inflammatory pathology that was not completely cured in this cycle.
Many women are interested in what the maximum delay of menstruation can be normal. If your period was to start 10 or more days ago, but you do not feel any symptoms, make an appointment with an experienced gynecologist.
The doctor will examine, palpate the uterus and ovaries, determine the degree of maturation of the follicles. Often, such delays occur due to hormonal disorders, stress and overwork. Take care of your health, try to sleep well, get more positive emotions from life.
Now you know how many days the normal delay is monthly. To normalize the cycle and save yourself from unnecessary experiences and stress, you need to accurately determine the cause of such unexpected failures.
If you have not started bleeding within 6-7 days, do not panic in any way. If you completely exclude the possibility of pregnancy, it does not mean that you develop a dangerous disease that can have dire consequences for reproductive health.
For gynecological reasons delay "red days" include:
- Cysts or polycystic ovaries. The disease develops on the background of insufficient production of female sex hormones. In this case, there is no ovulation, the egg is not formed, and therefore menstruation is absent.
- Myoma is a tumor in the uterus. It is benign in nature, but there is a small risk of degeneration into cancer. It requires treatment.
- Endometriosis. With this ailment, the internal mucous tissue of the endometrium pathologically expands, covers the organs adjacent to the uterus. Developed due to hormonal disorders.
- Acceptance of hormonal medications as contraceptives. Also, a cycle failure can occur after insertion of the intrauterine device. Remember that contraceptives must be selected individually, after prior consultation with a gynecologist.
- The consequences of miscarriage or medical abortion. The patient's body in such a state is under severe stress, the inner healthy layer of uterine tissue is completely scraped out, which leads to the development of hormonal changes. Recovery can take several cycles.
- Irregular cycle in adolescent during puberty. During the first years since the onset of menstruation, the cycle is adjusted, so delays should not cause you a lot of anxiety. The same rule, only in the reverse order applies to women 45-50 years old during menopause. In this state, a woman may suffer from severe bleeding or, on the contrary, the absence of menstruation.
Non-gecological factors can provoke a significant delay in menstrual bleeding. Such causes of developmental deviations include:
- Excessive passion for heavy physical exertion, overworking the body in the gym. Overvoltage often causes cycle disturbances and long delays.
- Strong stressful situations. The menstrual cycle is directly dependent on the work of the brain. If a woman experiences a strong nervous strain, changes occur in her brain activity, which is also reflected in reproductive functions.
- Climatic conditions. A sudden change in temperature or atmospheric pressure can cause long delays. Changing external conditions is also stressful for the body, it needs time for adjustment and adaptation.
- Excess or underweight. Too thin girls who are constantly on diets and do not get the right amount of vitamins and trace elements, delayed periods - this is a common situation.
- Severe intoxication with stale products, drugs, harmful substances. Violations occur in all organs and systems, including reproductive.
Some women suffer from inherited cycle disorders. In this case, you should not worry, but medical consultation will not be superfluous.
So, you have already figured out how many days the monthly periods can linger, and this will be considered the norm. Most often, women go to the doctor because of feelings about the lack of menstruation during lactation. There is nothing wrong with that. To restore the cycle after the birth of a child takes some time.
When a patient breastfeeds a baby, the concentration of the hormone prolactin, which activates the production of breast milk, increases in her blood. During this period, high estrogen levels are the norm. However, gradually the level of production of sex hormones decreases, and increases only with stimulation of the nipple receptors.
When the level of the hormone prolactin returns to normal, menstruation normalizes and delays disappear by themselves. This period is individual for each patient. For some, it can take about 1 year. A delay of 1 month for a nursing mother is the norm, and you should not worry. In this condition, bleeding may be absent for 6 months and even 1 year.
Any delay in menstruation is always a matter of concern. If you are sure that such a violation is not associated with pregnancy, try to call the "red days" yourself. To do this, you can use a few simple ways:
- Herbal decoctions and infusions. The drug activates blood circulation and normalizes the movement of bile. Some herbs have diuretic properties, beneficial effect on the kidneys.
- Essential oils. The components of some oils have a positive effect on the reproductive system, normalize the functioning of the ovaries.
- Hormonal drugs and contraceptives. Used to normalize hormonal levels. Before taking consultation with a doctor.
Every housewife in the house has a bay leaf. Use it to make a decoction to speed up the onset of menstruation. To do this, brew 10 gr. dried leaves 2 tbsp. boiling water. Boil for 5 minutes and then let cool and infuse. Take the medicine you need on 1 st.l. several times a day. The fluid activates the contracted muscles of the uterus, and menstruation starts very quickly. Also, doctors advise to drink tea or medicinal chamomile. It is enough to take a decoction 2 times a day, 100 ml.
Take a hot bath. This will reduce blood pressure and expand blood vessels, monthly begin immediately. Blood rushes to the genitals with sexual arousal. Intimacy - the best medicine for the onset of menstruation.
How much can be the delay of menstruation?
We have already said that the delay is the absence of menstruation for 35 days. The reasons are usually easy to determine.
- some kind of disease
To delay the monthly has its own framework, which may be allowed and should not cause concern. Such a norm is the permissible number of days, which is accompanied by a lack of excretion of menstrual blood.
So how much can a monthly delay be? The answer is 5-7 days. In this case, you must take into account how a woman feels. If these days, premenstrual symptoms are observed in the body, then you should not worry.
If there is a possibility that this lack of menstruation may be associated with pregnancy, then even 2 days of delay can explain everything. A woman who clearly monitors her health, keeps a calendar, should be alerted. This is especially true of those whose cycle has enviable regularity. In this case, the first thing to do if there is a delay in menstruation is a pregnancy test.
Tip! If you are sexually active, keep a few test strips in your home first-aid kit so that you can see if you are pregnant right after the first days of the delay. This will help not to suffer in anticipation of menstruation, wondering what the reason for their absence.
Causes of a 2-day delay
In fact, there may be many. You should not start to panic, and sit down and think about the previous month. You may have been stressed at work, drastically changed the diet, you had emotional shocks. All this can lead to a delay of menstruation for 2 days.
And, as mentioned above, take a pregnancy test if you have had unprotected sexual intercourse.
Causes of a delay of three days or more
Every woman is most expecting menstruation during their absence on the prescribed days, unless, of course, a possible pregnancy for her is a sad event. Such a delay, as a rule, is exactly what this says. But this explanation is not the only one. After all, the absence of menstruation can also talk about inflammation, interruptions in hormones, and disease.
Moreover, the likelihood of these unpleasant problems increases if the delay is already more than 4 days. In this case, a pregnancy test shows a negative result.
What to do if the delay is more than 4 days?
Of course, you need to worry, but it’s too early to panic. Yet there are reasons that can give an explanation, besides the above.
A delay of 4 days may be because:
• Pregnancy has come. No, we were not mistaken. The fact is that it is not always possible to determine in the first three days whether conception has come.
• An alteration in the body has occurred. This happens in a woman's life once or twice a year. This is a normal process and does not cause any problems. It happens very often and can happen to every woman.
Tip! During the delayed period, think that they should come in the coming days, and not that they do not exist. After all, so you create a nervous tension in the body, which can aggravate the situation.
We have already said that the absence of menstruation for a period of not more than a week may not have any serious reasons that affect women's health. But if you go to a doctor, then be prepared that you may hear a diagnosis called ovarian dysfunction. Yes, that could be too.
So, you continue to delay menstruation. 5 days is actually a short time for panic, but such dysfunction may indicate a failure in hormones. Further, to begin to act in the direction of solving the problem, you will need to undergo an examination. Again, do not panic ahead of time, because we have already answered the question of how much a monthly delay can be, and we are convinced that this is normal. Perhaps a week later, your problem will disappear by itself.
Monthly delay 6-7 days
Lack of periods can be the norm, but if PMS is still not felt, then you should start worrying.
Also, you yourself could inadvertently provoke a physiological lack of menstruation.
We are talking about the following factors:
• Overweight or sudden loss. Very often, women who are constantly on diets, pushing themselves to exhaustion, suffer from the fact that they have no menstruation.
• Sharp climate change zone. Also a very common reason.
• Increased physical and emotional stress.
The delay of seven months or more without pregnancy requires a medical examination in order to understand whether there is a failure in hormones or gynecological diseases.
An important point! If a woman has entered a certain age when she has a menopause, then a delay is normal. Also, the cycle may be irregular in girls during puberty.
If you have not only a failure of the cycle, but also feeling unwell, pain during delayed menstruation, dizziness, general weakness or other health problems that are uncharacteristic for you even during the period before menstruation, this is the so-called PMS. Be sure to contact your doctor. You should not wait a week, referring to the fact that 7 days is the norm.
Diseases that may cause a delay:
Also the cause could be an abortion.
We cannot talk about which medications you need to take. After all, every woman can have completely different reasons, as a result of which menstruation does not occur. You can take any pills only after a visit to the doctor. He must conduct a full examination, you will pass all tests to determine the cause. And only after that you will be prescribed treatment.
An important point! Self-medication due to delayed menstruation can lead to unpredictable results. After all, if you have problems with hormonal background and you begin to take the appropriate drugs without the knowledge of the doctor, then you are at great risk. On the background of hormonal disorders, unpredictable processes can begin. Failures threaten to gain weight, problems with conception, and so on.
To date, there are many drugs that will help a woman if she had a monthly delay. Reviews of them, of course, the most diverse, so it is recommended to select only with a doctor.
As a rule, when such a problem is prescribed:
• Eskapela and others.
It is worth considering that many emergency call preparations for menstruation have many side effects. Therefore, uncontrolled reception is dangerous to your health.
A homeopathic remedy can also be prescribed. For example, Pulsatilla for delayed menstruation is one of these drugs. It is created from the extract of medicinal herbs. Widely used in many diseases.
Whatever means is chosen, it must be taken as directed by the doctor.
The last thing to say is the treatment of folk remedies. We all need to know that we are surrounded by many healing herbs that help to cope with many ailments.
In order to cause monthly, there are many recipes of traditional medicine. Find them easy. Often they are more effective and safer than medicines. In addition, traditional medicine is much milder effect on the body and have virtually no side effects.
But again we want to repeat the fact that all self-treatment can lead you to an unpredictable result, so consult with your doctor.
So we answered the question of how much a monthly delay can be, and we looked at its causes. Also listed the possible drugs that are prescribed for this problem. The main thing is not to self-medicate, but to visit the gynecologist so that after the research he has done, he will develop a safe action plan or, if necessary, suggest to wait some time, especially when the time periods for menstruation are small.
Menstrual cycle in women
To understand why there is and how much a delay in menstruation can be, you need to understand the peculiarities of a woman’s menstrual cycle and know its duration. A norm is a cycle of 28 days, but it can last from 21 to 35 days. If the cycle is irregular, the duration between periods is different every month.
The beginning of the menstrual cycle is considered to be the first day of menstruation. Bleeding can be 3-7 days, and the duration of phase I (follicular), during which the follicles mature in the ovaries, averages 11-14 days. Having reached maturity, the largest follicle is broken by the release of hormones, the ripe egg is released and begins to move to the uterus. Under the influence of estrogen and progesterone, the uterine epithelium changes the structure for possible implantation of a zygote.
In the absence of fertilization, the female sex cell dies. On average, after 14 days, the endometrial layer of the uterus is rejected, a new menstruation begins.
Causes of delayed menstruation
It is believed that pregnancy is a frequent cause of the delay, but diseases of the reproductive system, inflammatory processes, and changes in the balance of hormones also affect the regularity of menstruation. Also delay can cause:
- cold, sore throat, flu before menstruation,
- climate change,
- taking antibiotics, emergency contraception, cancellation OK,
- unbalanced and diet food,
- physical exertion, overwork,
- first sexual intercourse.
The main diseases that cause the delay:
- Endometritis is an inflammation of the uterine lining. In this case, the delay is long - more than 1-2 months.
- Cervicitis - inflammation of the cervix as a result of the penetration of bacteria. In the absence of therapy, inflammation spreads to the uterus and appendages.
- Myoma is a benign neoplasm in the uterus. The cycle may increase or decrease.
- Polycystic ovaries - the formation of cysts. Monthly may be absent for more than a month.
- Endometriosis is the proliferation of cells in the inner layer of the uterus, accompanied by inflammation of the surrounding tissues, and pain. If untreated, it leads to infertility.
- Salpingo-oophoritis is an inflammation of the ovaries and fallopian tubes. It leads to a violation of the integrity of the fallopian tube epithelium, as a result of which they are soldered to the ovaries.
Diseases associated with hormonal disruption
Hormones directly affect the regular cycle. If a hormonal failure occurs, the rhythm of the process is disturbed. Experts identify the following diseases that disrupt the synthesis of hormones:
- Hypothyroidism. The production of thyroxin and triiodothyronine is reduced, which stops the synthesis of sex hormones and, as a result, leads to ovarian dysfunction and infertility.
- Adenoma. Tumor in the adrenal glands, pituitary gland, breast. Accompanied by rapid weight gain, resulting in changes in hormones.
Also the cause of delayed menstruation can be:
- Ovarian dysfunction. They cease to produce female hormones in the required amount.
- Hyperprolactinemia. A syndrome that is characterized by increased prolactin production, which impairs ovarian function and can lead to infertility.
Puberty and menopausal syndrome
During puberty, delays are allowed and considered normal. There are failures in the menstrual cycle due to unstable hormonal levels. The first periods begin in girls aged 12-14 years. In the first 1-2 years of menstruation are irregular. Over time, the balance of hormones is restored, and the cycle returns to normal. If the cycle is not established over a long period, you should visit a gynecologist to be examined for possible pathologies.
With age, the ovaries deplete the follicles, they are slower, so ovulation occurs later or is absent. This period is called menopausal syndrome. It happens at the age of 45-50 years.
For women who lead an unhealthy lifestyle or live in adverse environmental conditions, menopause may begin earlier. The early stage of menopause is characterized by constant monthly delays of at least a week.
Pregnancy, childbirth, the postpartum period and lactation
During pregnancy, the level of progesterone hormone increases, which changes the structure of the epithelium of the endometrium and cervical mucus, so menstruation can not go. How much delay can there be to determine pregnancy? HCG begins to be produced in the first hours after fertilization of the egg. However, the urine concentration necessary for determining conception is reached only with a week-long delay.
If the fetus is fixed outside the uterus (ectopic pregnancy), there may also be a delay. In this case, it is accompanied by pain in the lower abdomen, bleeding at any time during the cycle, nausea and general weakness.
After abortion of any kind and miscarriage, the delay can last up to 43 days. It all depends on the speed of recovery of the uterine mucosa and the rearrangement of hormonal levels.
Stressful situations in the life of a woman
A strong nervous strain leads to disruption of the hypothalamus and cerebral cortex, which regulate sexual function. Until the nervous system of the woman is restored, there will be delays.
The body may experience stress not only due to psychological factors. This condition can cause abrupt changes in diet, climatic conditions, level of physical exertion.
Allowable periods of menstruation
The norm of the delay of menstruation for any woman is 2-3 days. If such deviations are not observed every month, it should not be disturbed. The specified interval is considered a normal situation, since the delay is caused by natural factors. When menstruation is delayed by 5-7 days, it is also not scary if it happens once.
It is necessary to inform the doctor when the delay is maximum (that is, it exceeds the specified periods), and the woman is not pregnant, or the situation is observed monthly. How much can be the delay of menstruation without pregnancy by day? It all depends on the factors that influenced the appearance of a deviation:
- Up to 3 days. Associated with temperature changes, stress, stress, violation of the daily regimen, diet, etc.
- Within 5 days Normally, if a woman had a viral disease, as a result, she took antibiotics.
- Until a week. This is the maximum for natural delay. A visit to the gynecologist is necessary if the monthly is late in more than one cycle. Sometimes it is enough to cure current diseases (flu, ARVI, etc.).
- 10 days. It is necessary to undergo an examination, to make an ultrasound of the pelvic organs.
- The biggest is up to a month. If this is not a pregnancy, it is imperative to be examined by a gynecologist, to get an endocrinologist consultation. The treatment regimen will depend on the identified diseases.
To identify possible factors that led to the absence of menstruation, the gynecologist first of all conducts a survey. The doctor will help determine how many days the menstruation may be delayed in a particular case, will tell you what the greatest delay can be. When the delay is long, repeated regularly, additional diagnostic methods are assigned:
- blood test - to determine the level of hormones,
- Ultrasound - to detect the presence of pathologies in the ovaries, uterus,
- CT and MRI - to diagnose the condition of the pituitary gland, the presence of tumors in the ovaries.
If pathologies that do not belong to the reproductive system are detected, the woman will be referred to the appropriate specialist (endocrinologist, dietician, psychologist, etc.).
What to do when you delay the monthly?
If monthly delays have become the norm, you must first get rid of the influence of various negative factors. Usually it is enough to observe the daily regimen, follow the diet, lose weight, do not worry about every occasion, eliminate excessive loads. If the cause of the violation is fatigue and nervous exhaustion, you should learn to relax, take a course in relaxation, visit a psychologist.
In the presence of viral diseases, it is necessary to consult a doctor and take prescribed antiviral drugs in accordance with the treatment regimen. If the problem is a hormonal imbalance, a course of hormonal therapy is required.
The scheme of treatment and the duration of treatment of diseases of the female reproductive system depend on the type of disease. Hormone replacement therapy, antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drugs may be prescribed. In some cases, surgery is necessary, for example, in the presence of tumors.
There are folk remedies to stimulate menstruation and normalize the cycle. However, they should be used carefully, not forgetting the possible consequences if the cause of the delay is pathology. At home you can apply:
- fresh berries of viburnum, cranberry, dogrose or nettle infusion - compensate for the deficiency of vitamins,
- infusion of valerian root - will help if the cause is in stress,
- decoction of elecampane, parsley, wormwood - means are contraindicated for pregnant women, so you need to make sure you are not pregnant before using
- black cumin oil - normalizes the production of female hormones,
- vegetable oils - antiseptics, regulate metabolism,
- ascorbic acid - for the synthesis of hormones.
What could be the consequences?
Women are advised to follow the menstrual cycle, failures allow you to identify abnormalities in the reproductive system and dangerous diseases. To do this, mark the beginning of the monthly bleeding in the calendar.
Delay is dangerous if it is caused by pathological processes. Possible consequences of a delay:
- Infertility due to the development of pathological processes in the reproductive organs.
- The spread of infection to other organs. If you do not take action in a timely manner, it will cause disruptions in their work and may cause sepsis.
- Benign education. Without treatment, they sometimes become malignant.
Often, the delay is due to hormonal imbalance, which directly affects the reproductive function and the functioning of the genital organs, and can also trigger the development of tumors.
Menstruation delay: deviation or rate?
Pregnancy is considered the very first cause of delayed menstruation. Accordingly, with a long delay, you need to buy a pregnancy test and check. However, if you did the test and the result turned out to be negative, you had better go to the gynecologist to determine the causes of menstrual irregularities. The gynecologist as accurately as possible should find out the cause and prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Several causes of menstruation delay
Delay of menstruation may be associated with restructuring in the body. The menstrual cycle itself is a complex and continuous process. Moreover, even the smallest failures in the mechanism can be the cause of delayed menstruation. Situations that can injure the body do not affect reproduction, but survival.
The first cause of menstrual irregularities is stress and psychological shocks, such as moving to another city or even diet. This can also be attributed to the constant lack of sleep and overwork. The time delay should be considered. It should not be more than 1.5 weeks. Keep in mind that only during the full night's rest your body produces the hormone of "eternal youth" (melanin).
The second reason is overweight or underweight. In case of excessive overzealting in pursuit of thinness, the menstrual cycle is broken, and you can say goodbye to your monthly even forever.
The third honorable place is occupied by extreme physical exertion, when the body gets tired and is at the limit. The period for delaying a month can be a month or more.
The fourth reason is the disease of the body. The list of diseases can be listed as you like. This includes ovarian dysfunction, adnexitis, endometritis, tumor lesions of the uterus and appendages. The delay period is individual, for some it is a month, so it is recommended to consult a specialist and be thoroughly treated. Diseases of the thyroid, diabetes, the incorrect position of the spiral inside the uterus also contribute to the failure of the menstrual cycle.
Almost all the representatives of the weaker sex faced the fifth reason. This is an emergency adoption of contraception. Unplanned sex or a torn condom may justify hormonal contraception, but also harm monthly. Such measures may not only lead to a delay in menstruation, but, conversely, cause an earlier appearance.
There are still many reasons for delays. This drugs, and a sharp change of climate, and poor heredity. The maximum periods of monthly delay are also determined individually.
What is considered a delay
Normally, the interval between periods should be between 21-35 days. In some women, they occur in 21-24 days, in others - in 26-29, and in some - in 32-35 days. There are also such cases when a woman has a regular cycle, but its duration is less than 21 days or reaches 40 days. The explanation may be a genetic feature of the body.
It is believed that a healthy woman's periods come normally, when the delay is not more than 7 days. But this does not mean that if the monthly come with a longer break, then the cause is necessarily pathology.
Factors affecting the flow of menstruation
The functioning of the female reproductive system depends entirely on the hormonal levels, mental and physical state of the body. The influence of external factors may be affected.
The most known reason for the delay is the occurrence of pregnancy. But she is far from the only one. Monthly can come late in the following cases:
- when a woman had to endure increased physical exertion or go through intense excitement,
- there was a sharp change of climate or lifestyle (the mode of the day changed, the nature of work, the place of residence changed),
- the weight has changed dramatically (dieting led to losing weight too much or, on the contrary, the woman recovered greatly because she stopped playing sports),
- in connection with any disease I had to take medicine, to undergo surgery.
Note: Even the very fear of delay (for example, if you do not want to get pregnant or if you suspect a disease) can lead to the fact that the monthly will not come in time. If the cause for anxiety disappears and the nervous tension subsides, everything returns to normal.
In addition, the appearance of delays is possible in certain age periods of life, as well as with various gynecological diseases, endocrine disorders. Long delays occur when the physiological state of the body changes (after childbirth, during lactation, after abortion).
Causes of delays of various duration
Under the delay of menstruation understand as a slight deviation from the expected time of their arrival, and a longer absence of menstruation. To stop worrying in vain, you need to know how many days of delay can be normal, and when this indicates the occurrence of a pathological condition.
Many women maintain a special calendar, where they mark the days of the beginning and end of menstruation. This allows you to establish a pattern in the course of the cycle, calculate the days of possible conception, notice the appearance of deviations.
Most often, this delay in menstruation does not even deserve special attention. It is explained by small fluctuations of the hormonal background, physiological features and functioning of the nervous system.
Violation is also not. If there is no discomfort, then it is not necessary to consult a doctor immediately. The reason may be stress, cold, change in diet. In some women, the late arrival of menstruation is explained by the fact that after ovulation, conception occurred. In this regard, changes began to occur in the uterus, leading to the absence of menstruation. However, the egg for some reason could not be fixed in the endometrium, the pregnancy failed. Menstruation has begun. In this case, the woman did not even guess what happened.
If 10 days have already passed, and menstruation does not occur, it should be alarming. The norm is such a delay only if a woman becomes pregnant. In some cases, hormonal changes are somewhat slowed down, so that menstrual-like bleeding may occur in a woman for several more months.
To determine the presence of pregnancy in the first weeks, you can use a pharmacy test or by analyzing hCG (a hormone whose level rises sharply with its onset).
Addition: Sometimes, when pregnancy occurs on days 8–12 after ovulation, a woman may notice the appearance of “implant bleeding” associated with the introduction of the embryo into the endometrium of the uterus. Often it is taken for menstruation.
If there is no pregnancy, such a delay may be a symptom of inflammatory diseases of the uterus and ovaries, the appearance of tumors in them, ovarian dysfunction and, as a result, the so-called secondary amenorrhea.
Delays in adolescence
The onset of puberty is associated with a dramatic change in the hormonal background in the body. Within 2 years there are fluctuations, due to which the monthly come irregularly, have a non-constant duration and intensity. The length of delays is influenced by emotional excitability, intensified exercise, lagging or advancing in the development of the genitals.
If a girl has bleeding is not too heavy, there are no severe pains in the groin area and in the lower back, menstruation is not accompanied by bleeding, then delays of 2-3 months can be considered the norm. If there are dangerous symptoms of the pathology, it is necessary to consult with the gynecologist about the causes.
The combination of the delay of menstruation with such external signs as the appearance of hair on the chin, coarsening of the voice, poor development of the mammary glands, the formation of a male-shaped body is a sign of hormonal disorders. It is necessary to be examined by a gynecologist and an endocrinologist, to begin treatment. Otherwise, infertility may develop, health problems will arise.
In women of reproductive age
In women aged 18-45 years, there are many different reasons for the delay of menstruation:
- After miscarriage, abortion, curettage, the structure of the uterine mucosa is disturbed, hormonal failure occurs. In this process, the cycle is not immediately restored. Endometrial detachment (menstruation) occurs when its thickness reaches a certain size, and the ratio of hormones returns to normal (a decrease in the level of progesterone increased in pregnancy should occur). Организму требуется время на восстановление, поэтому задержка может составить 10-30 дней.
- После родов время наступления первых месячных напрямую связано с тем, кормит женщина ребенка грудью или нет, а также от режима вскармливания. If she does not breastfeed, menstruation occurs after about 1 month. With an early transfer of the child to supplementary foods, they usually appear after 3-4 months, and with long-term breastfeeding, periods begin again after 1 year. It all depends on the individual characteristics of the organism. Should be alarmed if menstruation does not come within 1-2 months after cessation of lactation. Since it is impossible to foresee their advance, it is necessary for a woman to use contraceptives.
- With the onset of pregnancy, characteristic symptoms gradually appear, in which a woman, willy-nilly, should visit a doctor.
- Monthly delayed or absent as a result of diseases.
- Sometimes a woman takes drugs to artificially delay the onset of menstruation with the help of hormonal means. Repeated repetition of artificial delay can lead to permanent violations of the cycle, amenorrhea and serious diseases.
- Used drugs hormone replacement therapy containing progesterone.
In the period before the onset of menopause and the final cessation of menstruation, their irregular arrival may be one of the signs of the onset of menopause. Failures occur due to aging of the ovaries, reducing the production of estrogen. Due to fluctuations in hormonal levels, there are delays from 10 days to 6 months. The duration and intensity of menstruation becomes inconstant.
However, despite the increase in the number of cycles without ovulation, the likelihood of pregnancy remains. Therefore, within 1 year after the termination of the last menstruation, the woman must be protected.
We should not forget that the cessation of menstruation at the age of 45-50 years is not a completely reliable sign of the onset of menopause. The delay can be caused by various diseases. At this age, the likelihood of oncology increases in women, so if unusual pain or discharge appears (especially with blood), it is necessary to consult a doctor.
Pathological reasons for the delay can be:
- ectopic pregnancy,
- inflammation of the appendages,
- tumors of the uterus or ovaries,
Impaired ovarian function leads to a decrease in estrogen production and an increase in testosterone levels, which causes inhibition of the cycle processes and the appearance of menstrual irregularities. In diseases of the reproductive organs, as a rule, specific symptoms occur: pain in the lower abdomen and lower back, unusual discharge between menstruation, deterioration of general well-being.
Delays can occur after an abortion, miscarriage, and also when using hormonal contraceptives that suppress ovulation and prolong the cycle. Pathologies can occur with exacerbation of gastrointestinal diseases, chronic liver disease and kidney disease. Contribute to the occurrence of menstrual disorders can diabetes, thyroid disease, adrenal glands.
When to see a doctor
When delaying a woman who lives sexually, you should first of all make sure that you are not pregnant (using a test, blood tests for hormones). A positive result also occurs during ectopic pregnancy, so you need to visit a doctor, do an ultrasound scan and make sure that there are no reasons for concern.
If doubts arise about the fact that delay is the norm, attention should be paid to the associated symptoms. In cases where delays are repeated frequently, there are other menstrual irregularities or signs of hormonal pathologies, it is necessary to visit a doctor. Diagnostics will be carried out using laboratory methods of analysis, as well as using colposcopy, ultrasound and computed tomography.
Delay - Pathology or Norm
Not all women have monthly periods at the same time. The cycle can be broken in young girls, if their critical days began not so long ago. It will take a year or two to settle the cycle. This is possible in women before the onset of menopause. The delay may occur after birth, if the young mother continues to breastfeed. In these cases, the timing of monthly delays are different. Sometimes they stretch for several months. But, nevertheless, they are not considered deviations from the norm.
Delayed menstruation has always been a warning sign. It means that something is wrong in the body of a woman, there was some kind of failure in the hormonal balance. Sometimes it's a pregnancy. But there may be many other reasons.
You also need to remember that the duration of the menstrual cycle may be different. Not necessarily monthly should come exactly after 30 days, some women have critical days every 28 days or every 25 days (from 25 to 33 days). A long cycle is a kind of norm, so there is no talk of delay.
What kind of delay is considered normal
How much can be a delay in menstruation normally, if a girl is sure that she is definitely not pregnant? If critical days are “late” for several days (no more than 7), then you should not worry when:
- No signs of pathology. How much can be the delay of menstruation in a more or less healthy non-pregnant woman? Experts say that 2-3 days. The delay in the girl's monthly period of 2 days is the norm, she may appear due to sudden changes in the temperature of the air on the street or due to jumps in atmospheric pressure. The delay in menstruation for a woman for 3 days is also not a reason to worry. It can be associated with constant stress, poor nutrition, overwork, etc. It is worth thinking about lifestyle changes. Even a 4-day delay for menstruation is not a reason for panic, it can be caused by the same reasons.
- There is a pathology, but it is not connected with the reproductive system. How much can a month's delay be in a girl without pregnancy, and without serious health problems? 5 to 7 days. A delay of about 5 days may be due to a cold, flu or another infection, an inflammatory disease. The patient can not be called completely healthy, but the gynecologist with a similar delay can not be addressed. As soon as her body recovers, the cycle will get better. The delay in menstruation at 6 or 7 days can also be due to the fact that the girl has had a cold of respiratory infections, flu, sore throat, and bronchitis. If we talk about the norm, i.e. how many days there may be a delay in menstruation - doctors believe that no more than a week, i.e. from 5 to 7 days.
- Pregnancy or the presence of any pathology. When the delay in menstruation lasts 10 days or more, this indicates the presence of various gynecological or endocrine (hormonal) diseases or the onset of pregnancy. In this case, you should immediately visit the gynecologist to prescribe treatment at the initial stage of the disease. Otherwise, over time, without proper treatment, complications may appear, for example, infertility.
Non-dangerous causes of menstruation delay
The delay of menstruation for a week or a shorter period suggests that you need to reconsider your lifestyle. So, if a woman is on a strict diet, working too hard or over-exercising physically, living in a state of chronic stress, her body turns on defense systems. Our body is designed so that in an unfavorable environment, it tries to prevent the occurrence of pregnancy, because otherwise, it will be difficult for a woman to bear and give birth to a child. Therefore, menstruation may be absent. For how many days can there be a delay in menstruation caused by such reasons? For up to 1 month. But it is desirable to immediately take the necessary measures to improve their health, for example, to abandon the diet. Then the body can recover without treatment.
The main reasons for the short delay are:
- poor diet, lack of vitamins, snacks on the go, fasting,
- constant lack of sleep
- heavy physical work, excessive mental stress, overwork,
- poisoning with various substances in hazardous production or living in a region with a poor environmental situation, intoxication with alcohol or tobacco,
- problems with weight, both its lack and excess,
- climate change after moving to another country
- past infectious diseases
- the presence of chronic diseases
- taking emergency contraception drugs or canceling hormonal (contraceptive) drugs.
Delay due to illness
How many days can a woman have a monthly delay? All differently, there are patients who have critical days missing a few months. Need to worry if the delay period exceeds 5-7 days. Then you need to visit a gynecologist, who will make a diagnosis.
Diseases that may cause a delay:
- Inflammatory diseases affecting the genitals. The symptoms of these diseases are abdominal pain and discharge.
- Oncological diseases of the genital organs.
- Polycystic ovary. With this disease, a woman gains weight, she has increased hair growth on her face, arms, back, her hair quickly becomes greasy and irritability increases. It occurs due to an increase in the blood level of the male hormone testosterone.
- Cyst of the corpus luteum of the ovaries. The reason for its appearance is hormonal imbalance.
Such a problem may occur after an abortion, an ectopic pregnancy, a missed abortion, or when a woman is curetting the uterus. In this case, it is not only hormonal changes that are to blame, but also mechanical injuries that may occur during the procedure.
Not always delayed menstruation is a pathology. But if the delay lasts more than 7 days and did not appear in a teenage girl, a woman after childbirth, or before menopause, you should visit a gynecologist and get tested. The doctor will either report the good news about the upcoming motherhood, or find out the cause of the delay. It is desirable to immediately eliminate it.
In any case, this visit to the doctor will be useful. It will help to cope with the disease at an early stage, when the cause of the delay was the disease. If the delay was caused by pregnancy, it is also better to find out about it right away in order to start taking vitamins and more carefully take care of your health.
There are a number of gynecological problems that lead to delayed menstruation:
- Uterine fibroids. A benign tumor that is localized in the uterus.
- Polycystic ovary. It develops due to hormonal disruption and the lack of certain hormones, as well as in the absence of ovulation. Also, the delay may be with an ovarian cyst.
- Endometriosis. Pathology characterized by the proliferation of the inner layer of uterine tissue to other organs.
- Artificial or natural abortion. It is the strongest stress for the female body, leading to hormonal imbalance. It may take several months to restore menstrual function.
- Contraceptives. Cause of delay may be a means of contraception. Intrauterine devices, birth control pills affect the female body in different ways.
- Adolescence. How many days is considered the norm for the delay of monthly in adolescent girls? With the formation of the menstrual cycle, an irregular cycle for two years is permissible. Consequently, the absence of periods even during the month is a variant of the norm.
- Menopause. After 40 years, the natural extinction of reproductive function occurs. The woman’s body produces less and less sex hormones, which can lead to a delay.
The absence of critical days can be caused not only by gynecological problems in the body. Failure of the system of other internal organs or any external factors can also affect the regularity of the female cycle.
The reasons are as follows:
- Physical overstrain. Weight lifting, excessive exercise, leads to body fatigue and failure of the menstrual cycle.
- Change in body weight. Drastic weight loss or weight gain is a common cause of delay. The protective mechanisms of the body are working; as a result, the production of estrogen is reduced. The result is a delay or absence of menstruation.
- Climate change. Flights to other countries and other climatic conditions lead to stress for the body, it begins to adapt to the new environment, as a result, the functioning of all body systems is rebuilt.
- Stressful situations. The regularity of the menstrual cycle is directly affected by the state of the cerebral cortex, which occurs under stress. Nerve overvoltages are a direct path to malfunctioning of the reproductive system.
- Genetic factor. Frequent delayed menstruation can be inherited. If such a problem existed with a mother or grandmother, then the same situation with a woman can be the norm.
What to do?
The actions of a woman should depend not only on the period for which menstruation is late, but also on her general well-being:
- If the condition of the woman is normal, there are signs of menstruation, you should still wait for them again.
- If waiting is too long and the woman feels unwell (abdominal pain, fever, weakness, nausea, daub), you should immediately go to a gynecologist.
To restore the cycle in some situations, it is only necessary to lead to a normal lifestyle:
- normalize body weight
- eat a balanced diet
- give the body moderate exercise.
If the reason for the lack of critical days in inflammatory or infectious diseases that affect the organs of the reproductive system, the therapy is medicamentous. These are drugs:
- painkillers if necessary.
When hormonal failure shows hormone therapy.
What pills cause menstruation with a delay? Read in the article about the causes of delay and drugs that can cause menstruation, the effectiveness of hormonal and contraceptive drugs, as well as folk remedies.
Why instead of menstruation brown daub? Details here.
Consequences and Prevention
It is impossible to allow a situation when a woman did not wait for “these” days. The lack of necessary treatment can lead to the transition of acute forms of the disease into chronic ones, infection of other organs, development of concomitant pathologies and infertility in the future.
In order not to risk your health, it is important to determine the reason for the absence of menstruation as early as possible and to begin treatment.
To prevent similar problems, women are advised to adhere to the following tips:
- visit the gynecologist twice a year for a routine examination,
- observe a healthy lifestyle, which includes a balanced diet, avoiding bad habits, moderate physical activity,
- live a regular sex life
- use reliable contraceptives.
Normally, the delay can be from three to five days. But it is important to consider the individual factor and the peculiarities of the state of the woman’s body. In any case, long-term failure - a reason to be wary and go to the clinic. Timely diagnosis and treatment is a way to avoid the development of serious pathologies.
Depending on the number of days
Late onset of critical days is not considered in medicine as a pathology, if the delay does not exceed ten days. The factors causing the onset of menses later than the usual date differ:
The delay of two days may be due to external causes: sharp jumps in atmospheric pressure, weather changes, long flights and others.
- A three-day delay is also not a cause for concern. This may occur due to constant agitation, overwork, too intense exercise and under the influence of other physical activities, with a lack of sleep.
For many women, cycle oscillations are common, and if menstruation begins 3 days later, this may be a normal physiological phenomenon.
- A five-day cycle violation is considered the average between a deviation in the normal range and pathology. Such a delay may occur against the background of intensive treatment of inflammatory infectious diseases or colds.
- If the monthly did not begin within a week, then this may be alarming, since this state is borderline. The doctor must find out from the patient whether she has had flu, prolonged bronchitis or a complicated sore throat in this menstrual cycle.
- The 10-day delay requires a comprehensive examination, including laboratory tests of urine and blood, and ultrasound of the reproductive organs to detect the state of the ovaries. This situation may be due to the lack of ovulation in this menstrual cycle due to the disruption of follicle maturation.
- In the absence of menstruation during the month, an analysis of the hormonal balance should be carried out, since such a delay is likely to indicate problems with the endocrine system. Such a long absence of critical days requires mandatory treatment with the use of hormonal drugs.
And here more about the features of menstruation when taking contraceptives.
A regular menstrual cycle after the first menstruation is not established immediately, it is not considered pathology, if the second time the critical days come with a delay of 20 days to one and a half months.
There are several reasons why adolescents may experience delays in critical days:
Improper nutrition. At this age, girls pay little attention to healthy nutrition, preferring fast food and sugary soft drinks, which leads to metabolic disorders and rapid weight gain.
On the other hand, modern girls, on the contrary, strive to reduce their weight to a minimum and limit themselves in the diet without using the products necessary for the normal functioning of the body. Such extreme diets lead to anorexia and hormonal disruptions, as a result of which the menstrual cycle is disturbed.
- Excessive enthusiasm for strength training, fitness or other physical activities also negatively affect the process of synthesis of female sex hormones, which leads to a delay in menstruation.
- Stress about learning, mental and emotional fatigue, worries about personal relationships can also negatively affect the hormonal balance.
- Inflammatory diseases associated with hypothermia and reduced protective forces of the body. Young girls tend to sacrifice comfort for the sake of beauty, so they often do not dress according to the weather, which leads to painful periods and menstrual disorders.
- The early onset of sexual activity also affects the process of setting the regularity of the arrival of critical days.
- Bad habits and the wrong way of life. Smoking in adolescence, drinking alcohol and energy drinks, soft drugs and spice can all cause a delay in menstruation.
Recovery cycle after childbirth
The time of the beginning of the first menstruation after the birth of a child is determined by many factors, the main of which is breastfeeding.
Normally, menstruation begins 6–8 weeks after delivery, but this applies more to those women who do not breastfeed. During lactation, menstruation may be absent for several months, due to increased production of the hormone prolactin in the body, due to which milk production occurs. Prolactin has a suppressive effect on the synthesis of estrogen by the ovaries, which prevents the normal maturation of the egg.
When breastfeeding, the first menstruation after childbirth may begin after the introduction of complementary foods, but in most cases the cycle does not recover immediately, and some delays on critical days are possible. This process can continue for 3-4 months.
The ability of the female body to fully restore the regularity of the menstrual cycle depends on many factors, the main of which include:
- the nature of the periods of childbearing and complications during labor,
- the age of the woman and the number of previous births,
- existing chronic pathologies of reproductive organs,
- emotional and physical condition of a woman, her observance of the regime of sleep and rest, proper rest and a balanced diet.
The functioning of the organs of the reproductive and endocrine systems is strongly influenced by a balanced diet and the absence of bad habits.
Disorders of the menstrual cycle are almost always found in women who have decided to lose weight with the help of extreme diets. Nutritionists and gynecologists always warn that the lack of fat in the diet leads to changes in hormonal levels, which leads to a delay of critical days and other failures in the menstrual cycle.
Uncontrolled consumption of unhealthy foods can also lead to a delay in menstruation: too fatty foods, muffins, sweets, spicy and overly salty foods, sugary carbonated drinks. Such irrational and unbalanced nutrition leads to obesity, which, in turn, provokes disturbances in the endocrine system and a change in hormonal balance.
Delayed menstruation and other disruptions can be caused by an unhealthy lifestyle: alcohol abuse, uncontrolled intake of potent drugs, smoking, frequent changes of sexual partners.
With this pathology, a failure in the menstrual cycle is one of the main symptoms, and menstruation can start as late as a few days before the due date.
A number of factors lead to ovarian dysfunction:
- inflammatory diseases of infectious nature,
- miscarriage or abortion;
- uncontrolled hormonal oral contraceptives,
- emotional and physical stress and many others.
The diagnosis is established on the basis of a comprehensive examination, the results of which are given an adequate treatment regimen.
In some cases, the menstrual cycle is not accompanied by the maturation of the follicle and the release of the egg from it. Monthly in the absence of ovulation may be accompanied by abundant or, conversely, too scanty bleeding, which occurred with a slight delay.
By itself, the anovulatory cycle is not a pathology, it can occur in absolutely healthy women. However, if this situation is repeated regularly, it leads to infertility and requires a thorough examination and elimination of the reasons that prevent ovulation.
Diseases and effects of gynecological procedures
One of the main reasons for the delay of critical days is the presence in the body of the inflammatory process.
Many pathologies of the reproductive organs, acute infectious diseases, such as sexually transmitted infections, viral infections and others, affect the regularity of the menstrual cycle.
Delay in menstruation may occur after a postponed abortion or miscarriage, since it takes a certain amount of time to restore hormonal levels.
Often, to establish an accurate diagnosis for various diseases of the reproductive organs, an examination of instrumental intervention is required. Some such procedures may cause a delay in menstruation. These primarily include:
- colposcopy - examination of the vagina with a special device,
- treatment of cervical erosion by cauterization,
- diagnostic curettage of the endometrium for histological examination,
- hysteroscopy - visual inspection of the uterine cavity with the help of diagnostic equipment.
The menstrual cycle after such procedures is restored very quickly.
Diagnostic measures and recovery cycle
With a regular delay of the monthly physician should appoint a comprehensive study, which includes a number of necessary procedures:
- ultrasound studies to identify possible ectopic pregnancy, uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts and other pathologies of the reproductive system,
- tests to determine if there are adrenal dysfunctions,
- blood test for hormones,
- examination of the thyroid gland.
In addition, standard blood tests should be conducted to determine the presence of an inflammatory process in the body.
Treatment depends on the reason that caused the regular delay of menstruation. He is prescribed by the attending physician based on the results of the examination.
And here is more about how hormonal disorders occur.
Almost every woman is faced with a periodic delay of critical days. In many cases, this is not related to pregnancy or some kind of illness, but if this situation repeats regularly, this is a reason for going to a doctor and undergoing a comprehensive examination.
For the causes, symptoms, effects, and treatment of menstruation, see this video:
Duphaston is prescribed for delaying menstruation only by a doctor. After all, only he can accurately determine the dosage, pick it up in accordance with the problem. Self-admission can disrupt the hormones.
There is an increase in temperature in front of menstruation as a number of natural causes (conception, PMS and others), as well as due to the presence of certain diseases.
Sometimes there can be menstruation without ovulation. Doctors call this anovulatory menstrual cycle. If this happened once or twice a year, then you should not panic. But if menstrual bleeding comes without ovulation when planning a pregnancy, then this is a reason to visit a doctor.
There is hyperprolactinemia in women with certain diseases. Often the reasons lie in the hormone failures. Symptoms - milk secretion, swelling of the mammary glands. May be idiopathic, functional, primary and secondary. The main methods of treatment can be selected only by a doctor.
Monthly delay rates
How much can the delay of menstruation without pregnancy and be considered the norm?
Gynecologists call a period of up to 10 days:
- Absence of 2 days may occur due to a jump in atmospheric pressure, air temperature drops.
- Delay 3 days should not cause alarm. May appear due to stress, fatigue, heavy physical exertion, as well as the lack of a daily regimen.
For many women, fluctuations in the onset of menstruation in a few days are considered absolutely normal, there is absolutely no reason for alarm.
- Delay menstruation 5 days It is considered the average period between normal and pathological. It often occurs in women who have had colds or viral infections this month.
- Delay 7 days - This is the boundary between the norm and pathology. In this case, monitoring and follow-up care for inflammatory diseases is necessary, if they were observed in this cycle. Such diseases most often include sore throat, acute respiratory infections, bronchitis or flu.
- In the absence of 10 days it is better to consult with experts, be sure to make an ultrasound of the ovaries, focus on the maturation of the follicles. Often occurs in the absence of ovulation.
- Delay for a month appears due to hormonal imbalance. In this situation, the need to receive special hormonal drugs. It is necessary to eliminate stress, more rest and sleep.
The factors causing the absence of menstruation are:
- Polycystic ovary. Polycystic is characterized by a lack of hormones. Appears if there is no ovulation, no endometrial activity, as a result, hormonal failure occurs, and the egg does not mature.
- Uterine myoma. It is considered a benign formation, which at any time can be reborn into a malignant one.
- Endometriosis. It is characterized by the proliferation of benign tissue similar to the mucous membrane of the reproductive organ. It develops in the reproductive system or outside of it, thus the hormonal background changes.
- Hormonal contraceptives. Monthly delay may occur due to the installation of a spiral. It is able to cause non-abundant discharge of blood, as it affects the hormones. Lack of menstruation is possible within a few weeks. Birth control pills affect every woman's body in different ways. For some, they are ideal, for others they are not suitable at all - they cause nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, delayed menstruation. It is better to consult with a specialist before taking them.
- Abortion or miscarriage. The body is experiencing severe stress, because of the scraping of healthy tissue, the inner layer of cells, which causes a violation of hormonal levels. Recovery takes several months.
- Puberty. When the body matures, the girl may experience periodic monthly delays. Do not worry, as the body adjusts the cycle in its own way. Irregular cycle can be observed for 1-2 years.
- Climax. By the age of 40-50, a woman stops producing the right amount of hormones. Because of this, hormones are lost, causing heavy bleeding or lack thereof.
There are non-gynecological factors:
- Strong physical exertion. You should not overstrain the body with hard training, fitness and other loads. Fatigue can cause disorders that contribute to the delay of menstruation.
- Stress. The menstrual cycle depends on the work of the cerebral cortex. When nervous disorders brain activity suffers changes that affect the functioning of the reproductive system. As a result, the regularity of the maturation of the ovaries is disturbed, there is a delay.
- Climate. Climatic conditions are considered a popular cause of delayed menstruation. The change in weather causes stress in the body, as a result, it suffers a reboot, the work of all systems is rebuilt, getting used to new conditions.
- Body weight. Violation of the menstrual cycle occurs with insufficient or overweight. So, if a woman weighs less than 45 kg, this leads to the cessation of menstruation. The protective function of the body works as a result of the lack of necessary substances, the reproductive function is disturbed. With obesity, the amount of subcutaneous fat increases, because of this, the concentration of the hormone estrogen decreases.
Violation of the menstrual cycle occurs with insufficient or overweight. So, if a woman weighs less than 45 kg, this leads to the cessation of menstruation.
How many days can the delay last?
Gynecologists call various terms, how much a delay in menstruation without pregnancy can be, it all depends on the physiological state of the girl. If the delay is up to 3 days, then this is normal.
Any cycle can move for a couple of days, there is no reason for alarm. In addition, such a small period arises due to climate change, weather conditions or body fatigue.
If menstruation does not occur 5-10 days, then the girl should consult a specialist, to conduct an ultrasound. Factor may be the lack of ovulation, immaturity of the ovaries. In addition, such a delay occurs due to a depressed moral state, stress, or a large load on the body.
Ineologists call various terms, how much a delay in menstruation without pregnancy can be, it all depends on the physiological state of the girl
If the menstruation does not begin about a month, then you should immediately be examined.
May be due to the presence of inflammation in the body, the development of infections. Disruption of the hormonal background also contributes to the absence of critical days. Very often, such a term arises due to the moral overwork of a woman.
The delay in menstruation after childbirth lasts from 1.5 months to 1 year. Occurs because the body needs to recover. Menopause contributes to a delay of up to 3 years. Occurs due to insufficient production of the hormone necessary for ovulation.
No menstruation: wait or act?
It is believed that The menstrual cycle lasts 28 days. However, in some women it is less, in others it is more, it is not considered a pathology. If the day of the onset of the next critical days came, and they are not, do not panic. You should wait up to 3 days, if they have not appeared, purchase a pregnancy test.
If the test result is one strip, then you should wait for the extremely safe period of the absence of menstruation up to 7 days
If the test result is one strip, then it is worth waiting for the extremely safe period of the absence of menstruation up to 7 days. If after this time the menstrual periods have not begun, it is necessary to contact a specialist to examine and determine the delay factor.
How much can you not worry?
Experts believe that you should not panic, if menstruation does not begin until a week. This may be due to the physiological causes of the organism. During this time, you can wait and not go to the doctor.
First of all, you should pay attention to the presence of precursors of menstruation, namely, the pulling pain in the lower abdomen, breast swelling, irritability and changes in mood. If symptoms are present, then this indicates upcoming critical days.
A delay that requires mandatory consultation with a gynecologist is 35 days. It is necessary to take into account the regularity with which critical days come. If they are constant (every month), then you can not worry for a week, if the cycle is irregular, then you can wait up to 2 weeks.
Delay 4 days or more: there is a problem or not
If the menstruation does not come on the 4th day, then the woman needs to find the reason for the absence.
Such a delay occurs:
- During pregnancy (tests do not always show the presence of pregnancy, since some women by this time do not reach the amount of the hormone HCG threshold).
- Body restructuring (it can occur in every woman every year, in this case there are no reasons for the deterioration of health).
- Nervous situations (often, a woman in anticipation of critical days drives herself to depression, thereby delaying the onset of critical days for some time).
- Great physical exertion (the body gets tired from overwork, the reproductive system fails).
Excessive physical exertion can also cause a delay.
A delay of 4 days or more may not have pathological changes in the body, but only be due to its fatigue.
Monthly delay for 6-10 days
If there is no menstruation for 6-10 days, then this should not be overlooked. First you need to do a pregnancy test, if fertilization is not confirmed, then the factor is a violation of health. This delay is called secondary amenorrhea.
Occurs in the following cases:
- inflammation of the vaginal walls,
- inflammation of the uterus,
- tumor and uterine fibroids,
- intrauterine device,
- gastrointestinal disorders,
- failure of the thyroid gland,
Delayed monthly 10 days or more: start looking for the cause with your doctor!
In the absence of critical days of 10 days - immediately consult a doctor.
He will send in addition to the endocrinologist and for examinations:
- brain tomography
- Uzi uterine region,
- Ultrasound of the adrenal glands, thyroid gland.
Uzi examination will help determine the state of the woman's body
The survey will help determine the condition of the woman.
The reasons for such a long delay are:
- Gynecological disorders (cervical cancer, fibroids, endometriosis, inflammation in the ovaries).
- Constant fatigue.
- Incorrect work of internal organs (adrenal glands, thyroid, pituitary).
- Ovarian dysfunction.
Delay 2 weeks or more
The delay of menstruation without pregnancy for more than 2 weeks may be due to sharp violations in the body.
It does not depend on how long it lasts, you need to look for the cause:
- Gynecological diseases (diseases of the reproductive system, cancer and precancerous diseases, endometriosis, polycystic ovary syndrome).
- Sharp climate change (the body is in shock, begins its complete restructuring).
- Lifestyle change (diet, heavy exercise, change of mode).
- Overweight or underweight.
- Hormonal disbalance.
Overweight or underweight as one of the reasons for the delay
Monthly delay for 3-6 months
A great lack of menstruation is called amenorrhea. It is characterized by a delay of a couple of cycles in a row.
Caused by ailments:
- uterine fibroids,
- cervical cancer,
- polycystic ovaries,
- inflammation of the genital appendages,
- diseases of the thyroid gland.
Delay of menstruation during lactation
After giving birth, a woman has a question, how much can be a delay in menstruation without pregnancy during lactation. Gynecologists say that the cycle is not immediately restored. This is explained by the fact that the blood contains a large amount of the hormone prolactin, which is responsible for the production of breast milk. Prolactin maintains a high estrogen content.
However, after childbirth, the number of estrogen is sharply reduced, its renewal is due to the nipple receptors. Sucking increases the activity of the pituitary hormone oxytocin, it is he who removes milk from the breast.
Menstruation occurs when there is less prolactin. But all individually, some women need an extra year to restore the body. At the beginning of the month will be non-permanent, there may be delays for a short time.
It is important to know! Nursing mothers may have a delay of more than a month and this is absolutely normal. The absence of menstruation depends on how much the young mother feeds the baby, critical days without pregnancy may not be for half a year or a year if the frequency and the amount of feeding did not change.
Caution: dangerous reasons for the delay
- Uterine myoma (formation of benign character, occurs in the muscle layer of the uterus).
- Endometrial proliferation (the disease is benign in nature, an abnormal increase in the uterine mucosa occurs, leads to a thickening of its walls, a decrease in the hormone progesterone).
The growth of the endometrium (the disease is benign in nature, there is an abnormal increase in the mucous membrane of the uterus, leads to a thickening of its walls, reducing the hormone progesterone
Caution! Ectopic pregnancy can be fatal, so it is important to recognize its signs in time.
Is it possible to cause monthly during delay
The delay in menstruation causes anxiety in the fair sex, no matter how long it lasts. It can be explained by certain factors.
If the absence of menstruation without pregnancy, they are called in the following ways:
- The use of herbs. Apply herbs that improve the movement of bile, blood in the body, a beneficial effect on peristalsis and kidney function. Should possess diuretic properties.
- Essential and vegetable oils. The components of the oils have a positive effect on the organs of the reproductive system, restore their normal functioning.
- Medications. When a month is delayed, gynecologists prescribe hormonal drugs that cause their appearance. Artificial hormones that are part of, restore hormones.
How to cause monthly during delay in the home
No matter how much time the menstruation is delayed, you can call them yourself at home. For this it is important to understand that the absence occurs without pregnancy, otherwise a miscarriage may be triggered.
- Infusion of bay leaf. Take 10 g of leaf, pour 400 ml of water. Boil on low heat for 5 minutes, pour into a container, insist 3 hours. Broth drink chilled for 1 st. l 3-4 times a day. The infusion of bay leaf contributes to uterine contractions, menstruation begins after a short period of time after consumption.
- Chamomile tea. To prepare take 2 bags of chamomile, pour 200 ml of boiling water. Insist a few hours, cool. Drink half a cup 2 times a day.
Chamomile is a substitute for estrogen of natural origin. When it is used, their level significantly increases. Menstruation may begin prematurely.
To prepare take 2 bags of chamomile, pour 200 ml of boiling water. Insist a few hours, cool
Note! Decoction of elecampane is very dangerous for the female body, with an overdose it causes heavy bleeding. It is impossible to use a nun to the woman suffering from heart diseases.
What are the risks of frequent monthly delays?
The delay itself does not harm the girl. Harm to the body causes the reason for which it is caused. Therefore, the absence of the phenomenon under consideration should not be taken lightly.
Gynecological diseases, inflammation of the ovaries and uterine fibroids can also trigger the development of malignant tumors. Delayed menstruation may occur due to hormonal failure, disturbances in the body. If you do not eliminate the cause, then infertility can develop.
Regular periods allow a woman to determine the beginning of pregnancy in time. If delayed, suspect that there is some kind of health problem. This will allow you to quickly contact the doctor to find out the cause.
Drugs for hormonal failure
To eliminate the delay in a medical way, experts recommend products with progesterone. In the absence of pregnancy, this hormone prepares the uterus for critical days. If there was no conception, its level reaches a maximum value, after which it decreases, causing critical days.
The most popular hormonal drugs are:
- Duphaston. The most popular tool for delaying menstruation. Contains a large number of progesterone needed to start menstruation. Progesterone, which is a component, is produced by a synthetic method, it compensates for the lack of a natural hormone in the body. In pregnant women, it supports the uterus nutrition, and in non-pregnant women, it supports the necessary amount of hormones needed to restore the cycle.
Duphaston - the most popular remedy for delayed menstruation
The composition contains a large amount of progesterone derivative
When a woman wonders how much a delay in menstruation can be without pregnancy, she should understand that the absence of menstruation is the occurrence of problems in the body. Therefore, you should not postpone the visit to the gynecologist, the sooner the cause becomes clear, the faster the treatment will begin.
About the delay of menstruation without pregnancy, see in this video:
About 10 reasons for the delay, see here:
Reasons for delaying menstruation if there is no pregnancy in this video: